Questions for Ruger GSR owners

PDA

fragout
September 21, 2013, 12:22 PM
Hello all.

I have a few questions for Ruger GSR owners who are, or have used the following item for their rifle...

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/436943/xs-sight-full-length-scope-mount-rail-ruger-gunsight-scout-aluminum-matte

1. The peep sight: Is it adjustable? Can you give me the dimensions of the rear sight aperture? Does it fold down or simply fixed in place? How does it perform for you in comparison with the OEM rear sight assembly? Does it work well with the OEM front sight?

2. The rail itself: What is the total length of useable space for optics? Once installed, is it rock solid or does it shift/wobble at all. How does the rail line up when installed on the rifle? Is it canted at all, or where it is supposed to be?
Other comments regarding this?

3. I would also be interested in hearing what type/hiegth rings you are using, and the type of optic.

4. If you are using a "mini dot" sight..... will it sit low enough to allow for co-witness.

5. Any folks out there use their GSR for hunting? If so..... what kind of critters do you hunt, and what load of 308 do you use for hunting?

6. Do any of you run a can on your GSR? If so......what kind of can, and have you tried any subsonic 308 ammo through your GSR?

Note: I have a friend that is left handed and confined to a wheelchair. He was looking at the Savage Hog hunter chambered for 308, but prefers left handed bolt action rifles. Being a southpaw myself, I can relate. Since GSR's have a lefty version vs the right handed only Hog hunter..... the GSR sports all the features he is looking for in a lefty bolt action rifle.

Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Questions for Ruger GSR owners" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
back40
September 21, 2013, 01:23 PM
i have the xs full rail on my GSR. i really like the versatility it adds. i've been shooting the rifle mainly with the irons lately, but add a 1-4x scope in QR leupold rings for deer season.

1) the rear aperture is adjustable for windage and elevation by screwing up and down, and a set screw on either side. i haven't had any issues with it and it works fine with the factory front sight. inside diameter is approx 1/8th". i noticed when i bought my GSR that there were different diameter factory rear sights on various guns. not a huge difference, but certainly noticeable.

2) total available space is about 10.5". it's rock solid and centered as it should be. i've never heard of any issues with the mounting.

3) i use a 1-4 power scope with 30mm tube, and medium (.850) leupold QR rings. this allows the minimal clearance needed between the aperture and the main tube.

4) no. i've mounted a micro RDS with no additional riser and you cannot co-witness. i don't believe any sight would co-witness.

5) i use mine for whitetail with anything from 150gr to 180 gr loads. mine seems to like the heavier loads a little better, probably due to twist rate. even with 150gr fmj bulk ammo it'll hold under 2 moa at 100yds with the 1-4x mounted.

6) no. cans aren't legal here.

hope this helps.

fragout
September 21, 2013, 05:12 PM
Back40.

Thanks for the details, exactly what I'm lookin for. Very helpful.

Especially how the rifle shoots 150gr FMJ, a this is a load that we already have quite a bit of for use through other rifles chambered for it.

Keep it coming folks.

fragout
September 22, 2013, 10:55 AM
Anybody else here own a GSR?

musicman10_1
September 22, 2013, 11:56 AM
I have one. I really like it. I mainly shoot 168 gr match ammo though I have shot some 150 gr Winchester ammo. It is easy to maneuver, light, reliable, looks great, and on and on.

I have a Burris 2x handgun scope on it with QD Warne scope rings. It works fine. One of these days I might get a dedicated scout scope for it but my set-up works well for me.

I use a Galco Safari Ching sling and also have a paracord sling for it that i made. I have the 10 and 5 round Ruger polymer mags for it too.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d139/musicman10_1/IMG_7317.jpg (http://s34.photobucket.com/user/musicman10_1/media/IMG_7317.jpg.html)

R.W.Dale
September 22, 2013, 12:24 PM
I have one but mine just wears a trijicon reflex on the stock rail. As mentioned earlier any kind of cowitness simply isn't possible given the sight plane is right along the top of the rail.

I have not used the factory sights yet.

Accuracy @100 with 175g match bullets is quite satisfactory.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y96/krochus/ruger%20GSR/BF20999F-ED23-40AB-93D2-C000A4933E32-7192-0000039CC217C0B8_zps5c15ba21.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y96/krochus/41B22F05-B649-41A9-8A82-B7F70CF3C5D0-6440-00000330E0179D78_zpsee48a756.jpg

chicharrones
September 22, 2013, 01:06 PM
Anybody else here own a GSR?

Yep, but mine isn't set up the way you are asking so I can't give any useful feedback other than 180 grain SP ammo has proven a touch more accurate than 147-150 grain FMJ. :o

http://www.lssdigital.com/lwpilot/ruger-gunsite-scout-rifle-handguard-1.jpg

fragout
September 22, 2013, 03:37 PM
Nice lookin rifles everyone. Thanks for sharing the pics here.

fragout
October 11, 2013, 02:20 PM
A few more questions......

What is the LOP come out to with all spacers removed?

Has anyone chrono'ed any loads thru their GSR? Details if you have please.

Same question as above, but for folks using the 18in bbl version?

chicharrones
October 11, 2013, 03:01 PM
A few more questions......

What is the LOP come out to with all spacers removed?

Has anyone chrono'ed any loads thru their GSR? Details if you have please.

Same question as above, but for folks using the 18in bbl version?

LOP on mine w/ no spacers is about 12-5/8". It works great with open sights. It's a bit short for using my pistol scope in a scout mount position as the eye relief doesn't work with the spacers removed. I bet a real scout scope with 9" or less eye relief would work fine with the spacers removed for me.

I only fired my 16.5" GSR through a friend's chronometer on one range trip. The ammo was 147/150 grain FMJ (NATO and .308) and 180 grain soft points. The 147/150 averaged in the mid to upper 2600 fps range, while the 180 grain ran in the mid 2500 fps range.

One thing to remember is the 16.5" GSR barrel actually measures about 17-3/8" from the closed bolt face to muzzle.

Captains1911
October 11, 2013, 03:26 PM
YHM Phantom Ti. I have not tried sub sonic.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e106/Captains1911/temp/photo70_zpsc16a5666.jpg

fragout
October 11, 2013, 04:25 PM
"One thing to remember is the 16.5" GSR barrel actually measures about 17-3/8" from the closed bolt face to muzzle."

I didn't know that. Thanks for the tip:)

fragout
October 20, 2013, 07:49 PM
Captains1911:

Can you give more details about your GSR?
Scope, rings, overall weight with the can?

Captains1911
October 21, 2013, 10:31 AM
Captains1911:

Can you give more details about your GSR?
Scope, rings, overall weight with the can?
The scope is a Leupold VX-1, 3-9x50, factory Ruger scope rings that came with the rifle. Not sure of overall weight, but the can is titanium and weighs 15 ozs. The mount adds some weight too.

FSJeeper
October 21, 2013, 09:46 PM
The GSR stock is spot on for peep sight use. Throw it up and it lines up perfectly, naturally, and fast.

Mounting a Scout scope is nothing I am interested in, especially with the large loss of field of view.

For a scope with a front bell, the stock becomes less handy because you have to mount the scope higher and I loose some cheek weld in order to sight properly. This will be different for different folks and may not be an issue. For me it is.

I currently have a Swaro 1.5 x 6 42mm on it now with the XS rail. Love the scope but you do no get the quick handling like you do with the peeps or a very low mounted low power straight tube scope. It's too big for the rifle.

For me, I am looking for a 1 x 4 or some where around there with an ocular that will clear the XS peep sight but sit as low as possible on the rail. With that, I think it will be perfect.

fragout
October 22, 2013, 08:24 PM
Interesting idea FSJeeper. I was thinking along the same lines, and would like to use the XS rail sight IOT retain a set of iron sights along with a lightweight, compact optic such as a 1-4x20.
In addition, the rear sight aperture (XS) appears to sit rather low, and should allow an optic such as the above to sit low to the bore as well.

http://www.xssights.com/index.php?nID=scopemounts&cID=Scope%20Mounts&pID=scopemounts

I would most likely remove the front rail, as I am not all that fond of fwd mounted optics for a rifle such as the GSR.

The GSR has a lot of things I'm lookin for in a do all general purpose bolt action rifle. (My buddy has a good argument in that I should buy one as well.)

Iron sights with rear peep aperture
Threaded muzzle
Adjustable LOP
Left handed bolt option
Controlled round feed
Detatchable box magazine
Chambered in 308 Win

It meets my OAL and weight requirements, and even sports sling swivel studs.

This rifle will be a host for a can, & the XS rail has plenty of room for certain NVS optics I use now.

I do wish that Ruger would make a stainless steel version with a 16in bbl in a left hand bolt, and a synthetic stock would also be interesting to me.

I have been comparing it to the Savage hog hunter chambered in 308Win, as the price for them is much lower than a Ruger gunsight rifle.

What the Savage lacks in comparison ( No lefty bolt, detatchable box mag, controlled round feed, a tad long in OAL, non adjustable lop, and the style of iron sight I want) sort of knocks it out of the running.

I also looked into building what I want, but the costs involved exceeded what a bolt action GPR is worth too me.
(Other than ammunition/reloading, my priority for gun funds goes toward the M14 types here.)

back40
October 22, 2013, 09:11 PM
i use a 1-4x on my scout with the xs rail. with the right ring height choice you retain the rear aperture sight.

fragout
October 22, 2013, 09:30 PM
back40.

What type of 1x4 scope are you using, and what type of rings?

What clearance do you have between the scope and the rear sight?

Pics of your set up would be great.

I found a few pics of the GSR/XS rail with optics mounted, but the optic was quite a bit bigger in size than what I'm lookin for.

back40
October 22, 2013, 09:45 PM
https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary-Arms-1-4X-24-Illuminated-Scope-PA14X-p/pa14x.htm

i bought this just to see if i wanted to use a 1-4x on my ar or the micro RDS i have. it ended up on my scout rifle for deer season last year mounted in medium leupold QR rings. clearance between the aperture and the scope is minimal but sufficient. i don't have any pics, and the scope isn't mounted right now as i've been shooting it with irons only for a while. i'll mount the scope up and get a pic when i get a chance.

UKWildcatFan
October 22, 2013, 09:51 PM
Here's the scope I went with. Leupold scout scope.

http://www.leupold.com/hunting-shooting/scopes/fixed-power-riflescopes/fx-ii-scout-ier-2-5x28mm/

Flyboy73
October 22, 2013, 11:18 PM
I have a GSR on layaway and plan on putting the Leupold scout scope on it. I handled one with the scout scope on it and really liked it.

Brion

fragout
October 23, 2013, 10:50 AM
i'm also lookin into Cerakote for a more weather resistant coating to protect the metal, so stainless steel is not that big of a deal to me.

In the end, the rifle, optics, and can wont be matte black.

Anyone use this on one of their rifles?

Anyone use a "Melonite" treatment?

One follow up question regarding the Ruger GSR magazines.......

How do the metal mags compare with the plastic mags in terms of reliable feeding?

Are they both as reliable, or is one more reliable than the other?

I have also found online that a lot of folks who own Ruger GSR's have found that the bolt is not as smooth as it could be, but gets better over time via use. Anyone here experience this?

BTW....... Plans for this rifle include more than simply "carried a lot and shot very few times". If I don't like shooting a specific rifle, then it goes bye bye.

As it sits now, a close competitor to this idea = An M14 build, using an LRB M25 receiver, 16in Criterion chrome lined bbl, and an SEI Socom front end sitting inside a modified GI synthetic stock.
Then again, a build like this consists of a lighter wallet in the end, compared to the GSR.

fragout
December 14, 2013, 04:27 PM
Has anyone here tried out McMillan's synthetic stock for your own Ruger GSR?

Willie Sutton
December 14, 2013, 05:28 PM
"Mounting a Scout scope is nothing I am interested in, especially with the large loss of field of view."

Uhhh.... :banghead:

They are shot with both eyes open... you can hit airborne clay birds if you do your job. Large loss of field of view? Good grief. Colonel Jeff would roll in his grave.

Willie

Sam1911
December 14, 2013, 06:06 PM
Willie, perhaps he was referring to using high magnification scopes out in the "scout" position?

I mean, that's really, really, really, really not the point, but yeah, you get a tiny little field of view if you do that.

Rule3
December 14, 2013, 06:22 PM
I mounted a Burris 2.75x Scout scope on mine.You can use the Burris handgun scope also. If you look at the specs they are pretty much the same.
A guy I know, took off the rear peep and the rail and installed the Ruger rings so he could mount a regular scope. I bought it as a Scout so left it the way . It looks exactly like the Burris ad.:D

Scroll left or right

http://www.burrisoptics.com/burrisusa.html

LOP and other dimensions
http://www.ruger.com/products/gunsiteScoutRifle/models.html

Willie Sutton
December 14, 2013, 07:33 PM
"Willie, perhaps he was referring to using high magnification scopes out in the "scout" position?"

Maybe, but that's not a Scout Scope. It's interesting how perverted the terms have become with time. By definition a Scout Scope is a low power intermediate eye relief scope mounted so it can be used with both eyes open, but you knew that already. People pick up bogus "Scout Rifles" put together by people with no background in the subject, using components that we would have laughed out of the Scout Rifle Conferences, and then posit that the concept doesn't work. <sigh>...

To rear backup sights: It's interesting that what was standardized at Gunsite for what I guess you would call the "Standard Scout" configuration (pre-Steyr) was the Ruger Mini-30 folding rear sight with the aperature drilled out, and now Ruger can't be bothered to use it on the so-called "Gunsite Scout Rifle" (which is, as I've repeatedly pointed out, NOT a Scout rifle).

It's just.... baffling. Truly baffling.

Willie

fragout
December 14, 2013, 07:45 PM
After trying out both ( fwd mounted long eye relief optics, and optics mounted traditionally over the receiver........ I prefer the latter for the following reasons.

1. Options concerning the variety of optics that can be utilized over the receiver as compared to the limited options in the fwd mount configuration.

2. The Ruger GSR does not have a cartridge clip guide, thus the action doesn't have to be open in order to feed it from cartridge "stripper" clips. A detatchable magazine system is easier and just as fast to reload the rifle regardless ....(For me at least). The same reason as to why I use the ARMS 18 mount on my M14 types in place of the cartridge clip guide.

3. Shooting with both eyes open ( Bindon aiming concept) can be achieved with a wide variety of traditionally mounted optics.....such as the Leupold VX1 1-4x20mm, and Weaver 1-3x20. Same goes for red dot sights such as the Aimpoint M68 and Vortex SPARC.

4. Less weight towards the muzzle end of the rifle.

However....... The Ruger GSR lends itself for either right out of the box.....and with the addition of the XS rail, one could have either optic mounted and still retain iron sights too boot. ( Something along the lines of how Back40 has his set up looks to be the more versatile route to take with such a rifle.)

Other than the GSR and M1A Scout/Socom16, the only other non custom production rifle I can think of right now with this kind of versatility would be a flat top AR10 type rifle such as the Ruger SR762.

Still looking into the synthetic McMillan stock for the GSR.

FWIW...... I don't view the Ruger Gunsight rifle as a "purist" scout rifle either, but am not really interested in it for that role anyways.
Who knows....... My buddy may pass it down to his kids someday (if he buys one), and one of them may prefer fwd mounted optics.

R.W.Dale
December 14, 2013, 07:57 PM
"Mounting a Scout scope is nothing I am interested in, especially with the large loss of field of view."

Uhhh.... :banghead:

They are shot with both eyes open... you can hit airborne clay birds if you do your job. Large loss of field of view? Good grief. Colonel Jeff would roll in his grave.

Willie

Scout scopes do not hold the monopoly on both eyes open shooting. You can do it just as well with a traditional optic.

back40
December 14, 2013, 09:16 PM
i've since sold my scout rifle. for that type of rifle/role, i just didn't care for the detachable mag, and didn't find it necessary. i also never ponied up and bought a scout scope to try out, but feel as though i prefer the traditional location. i've handled one with a scout scope mounted, and my initial reaction was that i didn't care for it. that's not to say that i wouldn't have changed my mind.

with the xs rail, i feel you get the best of both worlds. traditional scope mounting location and irons still on the rifle. however, even with a 1-4x and the lowest rings i could get, it still ruins cheek weld for me. i deem good cheek weld rather important to consistent, accurate shooting. this is also why i can't get behind the m1a/m14 platform but that's a different thread.

if given the opportunity, i'd love to spend some real time behind a scout scope. i'm just not prepared to buy one to do so at this point.

Willie Sutton
December 15, 2013, 06:42 AM
"Scout scopes do not hold the monopoly on both eyes open shooting."

No, and I never said that they did.

But they are a defining element when describing a rifle as a "Scout Rifle".

A conventionally mounted scope removes a rifle from any possibility of being described as a "Scout". Sort of like removing the mast from a motor-sailor removes the possibility of describing it as a "sailboat".

The Ruger "GSR" should be described as the "Ruger Multipurpose Marketable-to-the-Masses Rifle". It's not a Scout Rifle. It's a rifle with one identifiable Scout Rifle Feature (in the form of a possible scope mounting position). When used with conventionally mounted optics even that one distinctive feature is removed.

"with the xs rail, i feel you get the best of both worlds. traditional scope mounting location and irons still on the rifle. however, even with a 1-4x and the lowest rings i could get, it still ruins cheek weld for me. i deem good cheek weld rather important to consistent, accurate shooting"

A perfect example of not integrating things correctly and then obtaining an undesired result. There's no way to get a scope in that position down where it belongs, and it's as easy as pie to get it where it belongs for correct cheek weld if you use a LOW FIXED POWER INTERMEDIATE EYE RELIEF SCOPE that will by definition have no objective bell, and then mount it correctly in the correct Scout Rifle position. What you had was an awkward lightweight rifle with a protruding box magazine that prevented it from being carried comfortable from point of balance with one hand, set up with an inappropriate scope. That's not a Scout Rifle.

Ruger had such a good chance to build a nice Scout and they totally blew it.

"After trying out both ( fwd mounted long eye relief optics, and optics mounted traditionally over the receiver........ I prefer the latter for the following reasons.1. Options concerning the variety of optics that can be utilized over the receiver as compared to the limited options in the fwd mount configuration"

What you've said is that you don't find that a Scout Rifle suits your needs. That's fair enough. But for the latter point ... there aren't supposed to be any options for optics on a scout rifle, other than the never forseen possibility of using unmagnified electronics sights that we never addressed during the Scout Rifle Conferences. Once you start talking other magnifications, etc., you are no longer discussing Scout Rifles.

A Scout is the absolute opposite of "modular flexibility". It's a tightly integrated system where the sum is greater than the parts, and all parts operate in perfect synergy with each other. Once it's assembled, there is one configuration for use. The only change is the abolity to remove the scope and throw it away and revert to emergency sights if the scope is damaged beyond repair while the rifleman is in the field. There should be no parts to lose, remove, change, or play with.

Willie

fragout
December 15, 2013, 11:34 AM
In regards to the Scout rifle concept, I agree with you Willie. One of it's greatest assets is exactly what you have described.

In the end, it will give one a very KISS rifle.

As for how Ruger markets their GSR, I also agree that the rifle is not a true (by definition) scout rifle.

With that being said, the options one has with a rifle such as the GSR really opens up the doors in what a specific individual can do with. The fine examples and pics in this thread alone (Thanks again to all here that contributed by the way) are clear in how versatile this rifle can be. So far, I have seen the GSR configured for iron sight use only, fwd mounted long eye relief scopes and holo sights, Optics mounted over the receiver with the supplied rings, suppressed and non suppressed examples, 16in as well as 18in bbls, stainless steel as well as well as the more traditional matte non SS, right hand as well as left hand bolts, and now an option of utilizing a well built synthetic stock. It also utilizes a magazine that is non propriatery and has a good reputation for reliable feeding via bolt action rifles in anything from 10rd to flush fit 3/4rd mags.
It's versatility in this regard simply allows the end user to configure this rifle to an exact set up of what one truly finds useful for one's own application of said rifle.
In the end, he/she can obtain a KISS system, and achieve it first hand, and for his/her own purpose.
I don't consider myself to be a Ruger fan boy by any means, but am extremely impressed with how said company is running as of late.

In the case of the GSR, Ruger states that if one is to own only one rifle, then this model is a good one for that purpose. In this regard, I would agree with them.
Loosing components is not the fault of the rifle itself, but that of the end user.

In the case of cheek weld, the addition of an adjustable comb would solve the difference in height between iron sights vs optic, and especially for night vision optics which tend to sit higher due to their size.

For one interested in a "one rifle" concept, the GSR has a lot going for it because of how versatile it can be, and how easy it can be converted for most types of uses if one looks at it in this light.

While I agree with you in reference to the GSR not being a true (by definition) Scout rifle, I think that they ended up with a rifle with the potential to be more flexible to the masses because of it's versatility.

back40
December 15, 2013, 11:42 AM
^ i agree with the above completely. my decision to sell mine off was purely due to personal preference for my particular use.

when i had the scope mounted, i used a stock pad to raise the comb for proper cheek weld.

although my 1-4x had no objective bell, it is a 30mm tube, so in theory a 1 in tubed 1-4 would have a smaller diameter "objective" and therefor be able to be mounted a hair lower.

fragout
December 15, 2013, 11:53 AM
I found the same to be true after trying 30mm tubes vs 1 inch tubes.

The difference is a small one, but I found it to be an important asset concerning cheek weld.

Here is a relatively low cost general purpose optic that I have found useful on various rifles, to include the M14 types utilizing the ARMS 18 gen 1 split rail mounts.......

http://swfa.com/Leupold-1-4x20-VX-1-Hog-Scope-P51848.aspx

Very durable, lightweight, and compact. In addition, it sits rather low compared to 30mm tubes, and although the hold over reticles are designed with 180gr factory 30-06 loads, I have found that it coincides well with 308 168gr loads such as the SMK, OTM, and TSX.
Point blank shooting with both eyes open out to 500 yards, depending on the shooters ability to estimate range and read wind.
It should make for a decent piece of glass when mounted on a GSR or various 308 chambered AR types as well..... although I believe that a flat top AR has the better potential to utilize 30mm tube optics due to it's design, and depending on the stock one chooses to use.

back40
December 15, 2013, 11:58 AM
good info regarding how the reticle matches up with various .308 loads. thanks.

krupparms
December 15, 2013, 12:17 PM
As a disabled person who is getting older by the day. I must say I really like the GSR. It is just what I need for my AO. I have a box of good Scopes in storage. Until I can get them out, I just put a Barska 3󭘴0mm on it for now. I only have the steel mag.s. but they work fine . I really think this will be my main hunter from now on. It's really a great rifle. Happy Holidays

FSJeeper
December 15, 2013, 09:03 PM
Fragout, I looked at the Hog 1x4, 2 things I do not like. The BAS I do not care for and just want a plain simple German 4A that I have the most experience with. And the smallish FOV which I prefer to be around 100' at 1 power.

I love the weight of it and compactness.

I may end up cutting the front portion of the XS Rail off to clear a scope bell giving me many more options over the straight tube. The Swaro might even work with the rail cut.

Main thing is to try to get it low enough not to require a stock change for proper cheek weld.

Still looking.

fragout
December 15, 2013, 09:38 PM
Interesting idea FS. Have you figured out how much rail you will need to remove for your plan to succeed yet?

FSJeeper
December 15, 2013, 11:13 PM
Fragout, 42mm is absolutely the largest objective that will fit cutting the front part of the XS rail off just after the second mounting screw on the front receiver. About 1/2" from the 1st barrel taper. The Swaro will fit then but then it weighs about a pound and a quarter more with the Warne quick detach low rings. PM me if you want a high def pic so you can see what I am talking about better.

Mr. Willie Sutten, nobody said anything about this being a purist Scout Rifle thread. Fragout asked some good questions and our answers may be useful to others not blinded by the Scout rifle fad.

I did not buy my GSR to be used as a Scout rifle and that was clear in my post and also the OP's. There is no doubt the GSR DOES NOT meet Coopers specs for a Scout rifle for several reasons. Myself and 3 others I shoot with DID NOT buy this rifle to be a Scout rifle, we bought ours to be a handy carbine hunting rifle to be used with a conventionally mounted scope with detachable rings and good back up iron sights with controlled round feed. Another benefit for me was that it comes in a left handed format.

Forward mounted scopes have been rightly or wrongly been tagged with the Scout Scope name even if it does not meet the purist definition. Do your research and you'll find true Scout scope advantages are not beneficial advantages over a conventional scope for many hunters.

So when you miss a shot of a lifetime on a trophy game animal due to glare from the sun behind you, or at sunrise or sunset when you loose valuable minutes due to the twilight vision loss of a Scout scope, we will laugh at you and your buddies at the Scout Rifle convention, sigh, when you blame the significant miss on a simultaneous fart at the time of firing instead of the failings of the Scout rifle concept.

Can we get back to an otherwise useful post?

FSJeeper
December 15, 2013, 11:36 PM
Sorry for my rambling.

fragout
December 16, 2013, 12:56 AM
FS.

PM enroute in ref to your HD pics.

FSJeeper
December 16, 2013, 01:07 AM
Will do.

Here is the best option so far which for FOV I choose over the next equivalant Leopold.

Looking at dangerous game Weaver and Nikon, but they are heavy enough to make me go back to the much better swaro 1.5 x 6.

Weaver V3. 8.5 oz and great FOV. With different rings could come down another 1/8th inch before hitting the rear XS sight. Still, because the stock is totally spot on with irons, I am going to have to add something to the buttstock for better cheek weld regardless of what scope I choose.

Pretty much getting to the end of the line and moving to working on a stock heightening solution.

FSJeeper
December 16, 2013, 01:35 AM
Remembered I had an old 3x9x 33 Zeiss Diavari in perfect shape in the cabinet. This would work good as I could bring it down some more with different rings and still clear the rear sight. Would at least have to bevel the front part of the rail for scope bell to not hit, possibly have to cut it.

It has too much power for what I will use this rifle fo but they used to make a 1.5 x 6 in this sizee and I know Swaro did. I would have to buy used as neither make the model anymore.

If I can find one, this may be what I go with.

FSJeeper
December 16, 2013, 01:36 AM
Here it is:

fragout
December 16, 2013, 12:45 PM
Thanks for the detailed pics FS. ( My buddy and I are both lefties as well, so it really brings what we are both looking at to light....so to speak.)

Maybe XS will produce a rear sight aperture that folds down out of the way while an optic is being utilized?

Excellent ideas non the less.

Keep me posted on your progress, and feel free to pm me in regards to this.

Question....

Where did you find the magazine shown in your pics, and are you utilizing all of the stocks spacers for your own LOP, or have you removed any?
Reason I ask is because my buddy has a very short LOP, and after this thread, my wife is also interested in a GSR. ( We both hunt hogs yr around, and it's nice to adjust various stocks for use with cold weather clothing, and revert back during the summer.)

I "split" the difference on my M14S by replacing the M14's flip up but plate with that of an M1 Garand.
My Ruger SR762 uses the typical 6 position M4 style stock, so plenty of room to position said stock for any kind of clothing and/or other equipment such as ruck straps as an example.

jungle
December 16, 2013, 02:50 PM
I like this rifle very much and don't get concerned about the precise definition of the type. It is an extremely handy and versatile piece with lots of overall utility, and the Ruger action has a lot of merit as a durable and tough model of a direct Mauser derived example of the breed. It also has a much wider choice of optics than a "true" Scout, giving the user options of irons, forward mount, conventional mount or dot all of which can be changed out quickly.

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff249/jungle375/DSC_3257_zps89c9de61.jpg (http://s237.photobucket.com/user/jungle375/media/DSC_3257_zps89c9de61.jpg.html)

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff249/jungle375/ded410a7.jpg (http://s237.photobucket.com/user/jungle375/media/ded410a7.jpg.html)

FSJeeper
December 17, 2013, 01:17 PM
Question....

Where did you find the magazine shown in your pics, and are you utilizing all of the stocks spacers for your own LOP, or have you removed any?
Reason I ask is because my buddy has a very short LOP, and after this thread, my wife is also interested in a GSR. ( We both hunt hogs yr around, and it's nice to adjust various stocks for use with cold weather clothing, and revert back during the summer.)

Got the 3 round mag from Midway and it is the poly one made by Ruger. I also bought 5's and 10's. IMO, better than the stock AI steel ones. The prices have come down to sane levels now and they are around $30 each.

I use all of the spacers for a 15" LOP.

I hunt hogs all year also and that is the main purpose for the GSR plus deer during the season. I bought the XS Rail so I can swap from a conventional scope to night vision and still have good back up iron sights.

fragout
December 17, 2013, 07:51 PM
Here is how my wife's hog/deer slayer is set up now.... (Arms 18 full rail mount)
Note: This isn't her's but is set up just like the rifle pictured, and too include the SAI painted stock and HG.

fragout
December 18, 2013, 12:24 AM
The below product is what she uses on her rifle, and should work just as well for the GSR...

http://www.beartooth-products.com/shop/comb-raising-kits/-comb-raising-kit-advantage-max-4.html

Flyboy73
December 18, 2013, 11:39 PM
I was looking at a Gunsite scout and wasn't sure what i was going to mount on it. Red dot, rear mounted scope, or Scout scope. I actually was leaning away from the scout scout. Gunshop owner, showed me his wifes ruger scout , with a leupold 2x scout scope and I really liked it with the scout scope. Put a Ruger and leupold scout scope on layaway.

Brion

fragout
December 20, 2013, 08:08 AM
How do you like the Leupold scout scope flyboy?

Flyboy73
December 21, 2013, 01:35 AM
Scout scope is a Christmas present and will have the gun out of layaway next week. Will report more when i have it set up. The ruger with scout scope I handled in my lgs, I really liked the feel

December 21, 2013, 10:19 AM
I've never held a GSR rifle,only saw these pictures.I have a Ruger "youth model" .243,stainless,scoped,161/2 inch barrel.I bought it new from Cabelas as a package in 2005.Very accurate,I've taken two deer with it.Its my wet weather rifle.It appears identical to these GSR's without the rails, forward mounted sights,and detachable mag.

fragout
December 23, 2013, 12:06 AM
3212: Was it the following rifle by any chance?

http://www.ruger.com/products/m77HawkeyeLaminateCompact/models.html

If it came in a left hand action with a threaded bbl, I would be interested.

fragout
December 29, 2013, 06:35 PM
Update:

My buddy ended up buying a Ruger GSR after showing him this thread with all the detailed posts as well as pics. Thanks again to all who contributed here.

His version = a lefty 16in bbl, and we are currently putting it to the test, and will directly be comparing it alongside the M1A-A1, M14S "Tanker, and Ruger SR762.

I couldn't resist the SR, but after handling his and shooting a few rds thru it, I'm gonna yet again put off my LRB M25 build and pick up a GSR for myself. (It will be awhile, as I'm putting the SR762 thru the paces for now.

Now for a hypothetical question(s) so to speak.

Ruger's SR762 sports a 16.12 inch chrome lined bbl. I wonder if they might come out with a GSR that sports a chrome lined bbl?

What do you all think? Would it be worth it for Ruger to offer a chrome lined tube for their GSR?

What about a 16in bbl stainless steel version?

chicharrones
December 29, 2013, 10:47 PM
Now for a hypothetical question(s) so to speak.

Ruger's SR762 sports a 16.12 inch chrome lined bbl. I wonder if they might come out with a GSR that sports a chrome lined bbl?

What do you all think? Would it be worth it for Ruger to offer a chrome lined tube for their GSR?

I don't know why Ruger would offer that in a non-military rifle. I understand it in a commercial AR, but not in a modern day commercial bolt gun.

WNC Seabee
December 30, 2013, 02:05 PM
I don't have much to add other than I absolutely love my LH Ruger GSR! To me, it's perfect for climbing tree stands, sitting in a cramped blind or riding under the seat of the truck.

The scope is a Leupold VX-R 1.25-4x24mm w/Firedot Duplex reticle. (http://www.opticsplanet.com/leupold-vx-r-1-25-4x20-matte-rifle-scope.html?gclid=CNbwvK3R2LsCFeFlOgodpHAAJg&ef_id=UkzFvAAABOQT7BKl:20131230190226:s) Mounts are the factory Ruger rings.

I found the 1.25 power scope, with the firedot reticle, mounted in the traditional location to be very fast. The small doe in this pic was taken on the move at ~90 yards a few minutes before last light.

Best accuracy with factory loads has been the 180gr Remington Core-Lokt. Surprisingly good accuracy with Prvi Partizan 150gr FMJ. I'll work up a hand load if I can source any powder.

http://i676.photobucket.com/albums/vv128/WNCSeabee/E6B88FB5-4665-4551-BC6A-20C3B5555651_zpsjruuokqr.jpg

Flyboy73
December 31, 2013, 03:09 AM
I picked up my Ruger Scout on Friday. Also mounted a AAC blackout flash hider and the Leupold scout scope on it. Hope the Stamp for my AAC suppressor comes soon too.

Hope to get her out and sight in real soon. Looks and feels good though.

Brion

chicharrones
December 31, 2013, 10:13 AM
Nice rifles, y'all. :cool:

splithoof
December 31, 2013, 08:08 PM
They make dandy hunting rifles.

fragout
January 1, 2014, 10:36 AM
Nice pics everyone.

If Ruger doesnt come out with a 16in version in stainless steel, I'll most likely go with a lefty with the 18in stainless bbl, then Cerekote the rifle in a color I like.

splithoof
January 1, 2014, 02:00 PM
I wish that Ruger would have made it from stainless from the beginning. I like the shortest barrel possible, and do not understand why the stainless has to be longer; if it is due to some export regulation, fine, otherwise it is popular enough to offer it both ways.

fragout
January 1, 2014, 02:20 PM
Good point splithoof.

I'm after the shorter bbl as I intend to use it as a host for a can sooner or later.

I would rather have the rifle in stainless steel, so as it sits now, I will have to go with one or the other. I'm not in a hurry, so I might wait them out until they spit out a left hand stainless steel 16in bbl version.

I would rather not spend the $$ on hiring someone to cut/re-thread an 18in bbl to 16.12 inches......lol

Corn-Picker
January 1, 2014, 02:38 PM
My next hunting rifle will wear a suppressor. The Ruger GSR looks like it might be a good host. I had a few questions about this rifle:

1) Is this built on a short or long action?

I know that some manufacturers (e.g. Tikka) use a single action length. The OAL on the GSR seems a little long. My Weatherby Vanguard Series 2 (youth model) with 12.5" LOP and 20" barrel is 39" long, while the GSR with 12.5" LOP and 16.5" barrel is 38" long. Does the flash suppressor add 2.5"?

2) What is the diameter of the shoulder behind the threads on the end of the barrel?

I'm trying to determine if the shoulder and threads meet the specifications for a Thunder Beast Arms suppressor: https://thunderbeastarms.com/pdf/TBAC_Centerfire_Rifle_Thread_Guide.pdf

According to them the shoulder should be at least 0.75" in diameter and the distance from the end of the barrel to the shoulder should be 0.600". Strangely I couldn't find much about a Ruger GSR wearing a Thunder Beast suppressor using Google, which is strange since both seem to be popular.

I can't believe I'm even looking at a Ruger. My least favorite rifle ever was a first gen stainless/synthetic "canoe paddle" Ruger in 7mm mag. The thing kicked like a mule, had a horrible trigger, and couldn't do better than 3" at 100 yards. It looks like Ruger has came a long way since then, so I'm willing to give them another shot (pun intended) since they have a rifle that fits my needs.

splithoof
January 1, 2014, 04:06 PM
^^I had the opportunity to actually shoot a GRS with a can, next to mine which did not. The rifle with a can needed no special modification, other than removal of the factory flash cage. Exactly which can it was I don't remember, except that it got very hot after not that many rounds.
The GSR was my first Ruger bolt gun; I have owned numerous other Ruger products before that with complete satisfaction, but as a Remington 40X & 700 user I was not that impressed by what I actually saw and experienced in the original 77 as far as accuracy was concerned. However, after now owning two GSR's, I can honestly say that both have given very good accuracy, often under one minute when of course using good ammunition.
When I took the Scout Rifle class at Gunsite last year, the other students and industry reps had all experienced the same thing. On top of that, the platform seems very robust and reliable. They have become my go-to bolt gun for just about anything at this point, and I am sold as far as the applications I use it for.
While the GSR is not a true Scout Rifle as defined by Cooper and the others who convened on that project, it suits me very well. If I wanted to have a true Scout Rifle, I might start with a Remingtom Model 7 and see what I could do with that.

chicharrones
January 1, 2014, 10:16 PM
My next hunting rifle will wear a suppressor. The Ruger GSR looks like it might be a good host. I had a few questions about this rifle:

1) Is this built on a short or long action?

I know that some manufacturers (e.g. Tikka) use a single action length. The OAL on the GSR seems a little long. My Weatherby Vanguard Series 2 (youth model) with 12.5" LOP and 20" barrel is 39" long, while the GSR with 12.5" LOP and 16.5" barrel is 38" long. Does the flash suppressor add 2.5"?

It's a short action receiver on the GSR.

My GSR with the flash suppressor and all the butt spacers removed is right at 36.25" long. The flash suppressor off of the gun is 2.25" not including the crush washer, but about 3/4" of that length is taken up by the threaded part of the barrel. OAL with the flash suppressor installed is 1/8" short of 38", not enough to really matter.

So, the flash suppressor adds about 1.625" to the gun. The threads on the barrel are 5/8"-24.

2) What is the diameter of the shoulder behind the threads on the end of the barrel?

I'm trying to determine if the shoulder and threads meet the specifications for a Thunder Beast Arms suppressor: https://thunderbeastarms.com/pdf/TBA...read_Guide.pdf

According to them the shoulder should be at least 0.75" in diameter and the distance from the end of the barrel to the shoulder should be 0.600". Strangely I couldn't find much about a Ruger GSR wearing a Thunder Beast suppressor using Google, which is strange since both seem to be popular.

The barrel shoulder is just over 0.700" behind the threads, however the front sight base which is only a few thousandths behind the barrel shoulder is 0.820". These measurements are approximate with my dial caliper wedged under the crush washer since I really don't want to take off my thread protector.

chicharrones
January 1, 2014, 10:37 PM
May I add that the Ruger 16.5" barrel is not truly 16.5" from the muzzle to closed breech face. If my memory is correct it measures approximately 17-3/8" using a cleaning rod to check. http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=723813

Captains1911
January 2, 2014, 02:56 PM
Shot my GSR with YHM Phantom Ti yesterday, it really does make a great suppressor host.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e106/Captains1911/paper%20punchers/unnamed_zps6d80dead.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Questions for Ruger GSR owners" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!