Strangest thing you came across while hunting

PDA

Ranger Roberts
September 25, 2013, 04:38 PM
Like most of you guys, I've been an avid hunter/outdoorsman for most of my life. Throughout the years I have come across a few interesting things in the woods while scouting for a new spot or while hunting. A few years back a buddy and I came across an old Ford truck (1940's or so) in the woods while small game hunting. The thing that struck us as strange is that there is absolutely no access to this area by vehicle. I'm not just saying this because of trees. There were cliffs, tons of rock outcroppings and a sizable stream that you would have to get through to get to this area.

What have you guys seen over the years? Pictures would be a great addition if you have any!

I know there was a thread like this back in 2007:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=3375&highlight=strangest+thing+found+while+hunting

but we have a lot of new members since then, so I think it would be fun to get some new stories. Thanks guys!

If you enjoyed reading about "Strangest thing you came across while hunting" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
BigN
September 25, 2013, 06:55 PM
I came across an old wooden tree stand about 7' off the ground, no limbs on the way up to it. There was a coyote sleeping on the platform, 7' off the ground with no obvious way to get up there. It was in the summer and I was just trailwalking, had no gun. I got to about 20' from him and he jumped to the ground and took off. I inspected the tree all the way around, there was no discernible way for him to get up there. I scratched my head all the way home.

Ranger Roberts
September 25, 2013, 07:08 PM
Those coyotes are tricky!

rondog
September 25, 2013, 07:23 PM
One time when I was a kid, I was quail hunting with my dad, brothers and great uncle on one of the g. uncle's cattle properties. There was an ancient, broken down old house on it, and we found several boxes of plastic explosives stacked up inside it. There had been oil exploration companies doing seismic explorations on the property, and had apparently stored some of their explosives in the old house for a little while. They were tubes, probably 2-3 feet long, for lowering into drill holes and detonating to get seismic readings with.

Dad wouldn't let me have any, dang it.....

jim in Anchorage
September 25, 2013, 07:41 PM
A legal buck:D

kbbailey
September 25, 2013, 07:44 PM
This is going to be an interesting thread.
I have found arrow heads, abandoned wells, once my buddy and I freed a nice buck caught in some loose barb wire fence, an antique JD pedal tractor, old tin signs. The most interesting thing was when we canoed up on a amorous couple on a sandbar. For some reason they were so involved that they didn't notice our approaching canoes.lol

Patocazador
September 25, 2013, 08:02 PM
My buddy and I talked a fellow in Alabama into letting us hunt ducks on the creek at the back of his land. We did really well on the ducks and squirrels and jumped a deer on the way in and a covey of quail on the way out but took a shortcut to his house to offer him some of the game. We stumbled onto his working still.

We gave him the squirrels and he gave us a pint for the ride home. :D True story!

Coltdriver
September 25, 2013, 08:12 PM
I hunted the game unit south of Sterling Colorado several years in a row. Always for deer.

One year I spotted a small herd of antelope. There was a female in that herd that would sit on her butt like a dog. Hind legs out, front legs holding her up. Damnedest looking thing I ever saw.

I thought she might have been hurt or injured and I approached them just to see what would happen. She jumped up and they all ran like speed goats are famous for.

I saw the same herd a year later and there she was, sitting on her butt like a dog.

rcmodel
September 25, 2013, 08:25 PM
I found a complete instrument panel from an F4 jet fighter about 2 miles off the road in a public hunting area.
No, there were never any reports of an F4 crashing in the area.

I had a young couple 'Doing It' on a blanket under my tree stand one evening about a half hour after I got up the tree.
I kept clearing my throat to break the magic spell while they were walking up to the clearing and shedding clothes.
But apparently, they had other things on their mind at the time?

I finally said something like 'Please keep the screaming down. You are scaring the deer away!', or something equally witty?

And you should have seen the bare naked hasty retreat back though the poison ivy laden trail to the road where they left their car!

Oh! And the time I was out scouting a new hunting location along the Kansas river on a dirt bike.
I jumped the top of a levy and almost crashed into the side of a 70 something BMW parked on the other side across the trail.

Turned out to be one of the city's major & 'old family' business leaders.
And his young boyfriend.

Talk about a 'deer in the headlights' look from both of them out the side window!
One set of wide eyes above the other set of wide eyes.
They pleaded for me not to say anything to anyone.
And I ask them not to park sideways in the middle of a motorcycle trail on the back side of a jump again.

We parted ways with a mutual agreement for all of us, do just that!

rc

huntsman
September 25, 2013, 08:56 PM
does Bigfoot count? ;)

My dog went on point at the edge of a woodlot I came up expecting a grouse to flush but was totally shocked to see a snow white cock bird pheasant getting airborne, he was all white from tail to beak except for a bright red wattle. Needless to say I was so startled I never pulled the trigger.

September 25, 2013, 09:45 PM
While deer hunting in the Pennsylvania mountains,I came across an old cabin with a table,cot and some utensils.It was insulated with Reading,PA newspapers from the 1930's.On rainy days I would sit in there looking for deer and reading about 5 cent beers,cheap shoes and the police report.An old timer told me a hunting camp member lived there during the depression.Another experience occured during dove season in the 1960's.I would go home after work,grab the shotgun and head to the edge of a woods for the evening flight.This evening,while walking in the lane,I passed a parked car containing one of the bosses and a married female coworker.They were too busy to notice me and I walked on by.About 50 yds farther,I took a shot at a dove and the car started and backed out.

bainter1212
September 25, 2013, 10:23 PM
I got surprised and attacked by an angry goose once. Felt like a fool, but I figured maybe she had a nest nearby.

That's all I got.

slicksleeve
September 25, 2013, 11:10 PM
One time while bow hunting, I had a good size doe at 15 yards. She suddenly started walking away. A few seconds later, a bobcat, a big one, walked right under my stand toward where the doe went. I was so big, I first thought it was a mountain lion. They both disappeared into the brush. I have always wondered if that bobcat walked down that doe and caught her. (I never found her dead, could the bobcat even kill a grown deer?) It did make feel good about my scent control that it walked directly under me without spooking.
On a side note, I have always thought I would find a rusty rifle propped against a tree somewhere, but never have.

armsmaster270
September 25, 2013, 11:31 PM
A downed private airplane with the dead pilot still in it.

X-Rap
September 25, 2013, 11:48 PM
Down in New Mexico there was the ever present Indian Ruins as well as mining evidence dating back to the Spaniards. It is the most interesting place I've ever lived.
I've seen pit houses, cliff dwellings, line shacks, saw mills, mine shafts with old cars rigged up to run the hoists on the head frames, spanish trails, ghost towns littered with empty cartridges in Apache country, stage stops on the Butterfield Trail, Cavalry outposts, steam engines and I'm sure I'm still missing stuff.

Antrome
September 25, 2013, 11:57 PM
A friend of my brothers came across some people digging a grave. He claims he heard them, and came upon a half dug grave with the shovel on the ground nearby. They must have heard him, and hid. He got out of the area ASAP, and notified the police. As far as we are aware nothing was ever found.

xxjumbojimboxx
September 26, 2013, 01:25 AM
Nothing too crazy.... this is from before i was a firearms enthusiast... i was in college in the woods by a small creek... (i spent a lot of time in the woods in college!) I was walking down the creek and i saw a doe drinking so i stopped dead in my tracks... the doe must not of heard me over the sound of the water running...it started walking the creek line toward me... i never even winked... just stood completely still... the doe got withing about 6 feet of me.. sniffed.. and BOLTED... it was awesome to watch that thing take off the way it did... being that i was in college... in the woods... the situation may have seemed more grand than it was ::wink wink::... but ill never forget it... btw deer are much bigger in mass than they arw in texas... it scared me pretty good :)

morcey2
September 26, 2013, 01:26 AM
There were two interesting things I've found while outdoors. The first one wasn't during hunting, but it was in an area that I'll probably be hunting this year. We were up on the edge of a cliff overlooking a salt flat in the valley below us and a plane came in really low and landed and pulled up to a couple of trucks. It was only there for about 10 minutes and then it took off again. It was a twin engine plane of some sort and it came in below the level of the mountain that we were on. This would have been in the very early 80's and there was apparently a corridor from northern Mexico into the west desert in Utah without any radar coverage. We actually went out to watch the Air Force jets that flew through there pretty much every day. But this day, it was a drug plane.

The other one was while fishing about a half mile from my house a couple of years ago. I was fishing at a local pond when I started cleaning up some of the trash that keeps getting left there. Irritates me to no end...... but that's beside the point. There was a paper bag shoved in a hole in a cinder block retaining wall. I pulled it out and it was full of rolls of $20, $50, and $100 bills. Now, I doubt some rich dude accidentally dropped it and it magically made it into that hole, so I left it alone. Sort-of. I'm on a first name basis with the local police chief and I called him and told him about it. He told me to leave it alone and they'd send over a couple of guys to watch it. Within about 10 minutes of that call, I was leaving and they caught a guy coming to pick it up. I was still there, but across that part of the pond. I didn't get any of the money, but the guy was arrested on outstanding warrants. He's a pretty violent guy from what I understand and he's still in prison.

BTW, it was awesome watching some of the jets over the mountains. We'd get F-4s, F-16s, F-15s, F-111s, B-52s, Cargo jets that I didn't recognize, A-10s, A-6s, A-4s, and lots of other F- planes. We even saw a B-1 once. Some of the smaller jets would make supersonic runs through the valley and we'd hear sonic booms in town quite often. The only sonic booms I've heard lately are from Meteorites. One in 1995 in Colorado Springs, and another here in Utah a couple of years ago.

Matt

xxjumbojimboxx
September 26, 2013, 01:28 AM
Ive got a real bouncy boxer that can easily clear the six foot picket fence in the back yard... i dont see why a coyote wouldnt be able to do it

Regarding post 2

BigN
September 26, 2013, 02:49 AM
Jumbo: from what I saw, he must have jumped up there. I've seen them enough to know they're very agile and nimble but didn't realize they could jump that high.

BigBore44
September 26, 2013, 06:17 AM
Poachers. And they weren't very good at situational awareness. That's what was so interesting to me. I literally got within 20 feet of them and the antlered doe they had just shot. The were both armed but I had the element of suprise. And a 7.5" 44 mag :) I just said very loudly "Good afternoon guys!!!" They didn't even look up. They just instantly took off at a dead sprint. Called a game warden buddy of mine and he caught them on the way out. It was a good day.

Now as far as inanimate objects: old cars, trucks, old schools, churches, wells, cellars, graves, indian burial grounds, and a mannequin (that was very interesting for about 30 seconds).

JRWhit
September 26, 2013, 07:08 AM
Good thread!

At a younger age I was off small game hunting on Federal land, about 3-4 miles off the nearest road or trail. I was creeping along in the bottom of a deep draw and started hearing a deep throated purring some where over head. In our area it's very rare to see but we do have mountain lions. I don't for the life of me know if a big cat even makes a purring noise,but at the time it didn't matter. Scared the dickens out of me as at the time that's all i could figure it would be and here I was with a severe low ground disadvantage. I went home that night with a severe neck trauma from trying to view 360 degrees at once. Never did see what was making the noise.

Sentryau2
September 26, 2013, 11:39 AM
Aww you guys have all the fun. The one strange thing I've ever seen was a bat with a wingspan longer than I am tall so about 6 foot. I watched it land on the side of a cave and it was about 3 foot tall. Not black like your normal bat but like an off, sickly grey color.

Ranger Roberts
September 26, 2013, 11:49 AM
The one strange thing I've ever seen was a bat with a wingspan longer than I am tall so about 6 foot.

Wow!?!?! What state were you in? The biggest ones I've ever seen were in South America when I was in the Army, but they weren't even close to as big to what you described!! I think you saw the Jersey Devil!! lol

Patocazador
September 26, 2013, 02:39 PM
Don't know how I forgot this one: Two of us found a member of our hunt club dead at the bottom of a tree. He had been missing all day. That morning he had been 30 ft. up in a tree on his Tree Lounge stand when a severe thunderstorm hit. Somehow the stand slipped and pitched him out.
We were out there until 2 A.M. in pitch dark with the coroner and coyotes yelling all around ... creepy.

Geno
September 26, 2013, 03:41 PM
KC45: We are a family-oriented site.

Geno

juk
September 27, 2013, 01:15 AM
I've got a few.

A friend and I were duck hunting on a creek way back in the woods. We would normally go in and shoot wood ducks and mallards. I remember seeing wood ducks hit tree limbs on the way through the canopy. There were little pockets of water all around the creek with mature oaks lining those pockets. The ducks wanted in there bad enough to make a dive for those pockets every morning. It is something else to see a flight of woodies ducking and weaving through treetops. Anyway, this day, we are set up between the creek and a pocket. I remember looking up and seeing a drake woodie paddling up the creek. He was hugging the far bank and making good speed. Apparently, he crossed right in front of an otter, and the otter must have been hungry. All I remember seeing was a crazy splash, bloody water, and a few feathers. It happened about 10 yards from where we were.

I've seen Bald eagles come falling out of the heavens to try to intercept a duck in flight. We found out pretty quick that you can forget duck hunting if there is an eagle circling nearby.

Sentryau2
September 27, 2013, 11:18 AM
I live in MO, I was thinking maybe a giant fox bat got loose? Stll dosent explain why it was grey tho. I'm not superstitious at all. I wanted to catch it, but a past experience with a small fruit bat that left me with having large slices in my fingers glued closed told me not to try. Large bats are comon in this area, I go cave exploring all the time and usually see bats averaging 1-2feet tall with the wing span of a large bird. They are usually never close to as big as the one I saw that night tho.

Toml
September 27, 2013, 11:34 AM
A few years ago my setter pointed a large cat at around 150 yards. The Florida Panther has supposedly been "extinct" in east central Georgia since my childhood.

Patocazador
September 27, 2013, 11:50 AM
A few years ago my setter pointed a large cat at around 150 yards. The Florida Panther has supposedly been "extinct" in east central Georgia since my childhood.
They turned some sterilized Texas cougars loose in NE Florida about 10 years ago to see if the habitat could support an introduced panther population. It was in the Osceola N.F. just SW of the Okefenokee swamp.
They said that all were killed either by natural means or poaching. However, they don't always release the true story about their introductions. One or two could have made it north.

Toml
September 27, 2013, 12:05 PM
That's a possibility. ~ 190 miles as the crow flies with dense forests and refuges in between. Thanks for the info.

splattergun
September 27, 2013, 08:23 PM
Dead tilapia in the river while duck hunting. Apparently there is a fish farm using a hot spring upstream from our favorite spot and the small ones sometimes escape and die in the near-freezing water of the river.

A very old dried out cowboy boot stuck in a very old dried out stirrup. I looked inside, no very old dried out foot.

rondog
September 27, 2013, 11:21 PM
My dad found two dead deer bucks once that had gotten their antlers locked and starved to death. They were nice ones too, very large and awesome racks for western Oklahoma whitetails. Those locked antlers were just a fixture at the house for as long as I can remember. I wish I'd taken them now, but my brothers and I had known them for so long they didn't seem special. They do now though.

Double_J
September 28, 2013, 05:12 PM
I have a friend who was out scouting a new hunting area one afternoon. He stumbled across a clearing with a huge goose-neck trailer loaded with tanks and vats. He figures it was someones meth lab. He called the sheriffs department, who called the DEA and lord only knows who else. He also said that about three weeks later that area had a HUGE explosion, and that no one knew what was going on. He laughed at it, and figured something went wrong in the manufacturing process.

I have found a small abandoned still (it was extremely old) and a chevy truck from the late 40's in a ditch. The truck we figure was a local redneck being stupid and trying to drive to the hunting ground and got caught in a mud pit.

aidast
September 29, 2013, 09:25 AM
Probably 7 years ago we where hunting from friends cabin in Adirondack mountains NY and after few days seeing anything somebody remembered seeing a deer last year by a lone lake in the middle of nowhere. Shure we decided it should still be there and went to check.And after 3-4 hour walk thru the forest, jumping mountain streams, snowing rain pouring on our heads.... Exhausted and wet we came out of the woods and on the small grass field reaching our lake we see a full 24 box of old style...I can swear even the sunbeam shined right at the box....it was for a quite some time up there all rotten few cans were fallen on the ground...but man beer newer tasted so good...thank You Stranger for making our day, our way back was much easier...by the way we used some of it and left more than a half for others..

ricebasher302
September 29, 2013, 01:35 PM
I was living on a small ranch in the Blach Hills of South Dakota when I was in college. It bordered national forest. My roommate and I decided to go coyote hunting one winter day. We had set up on opposite sides of a deep ravine and called for 20 minutes or so before signalling to meet it the bottom of the ravine. We met and were chatting about where to make our next stand. I glanced down and slightly behind my buddy and was mildly startled to see a sleeping coyote about 15 feet behind him at the base of a large ponderosa.

The critter was laying in the snow curled up with its tail over its face like a dog or cat will do when it's very cold. We stared at it for a bit before we realized it was dead. I kicked it an it was frozen solid. I rolled it over, revealing a stick protruding from its throat. The stick was about 1-1/2" in diameter and about 12" long. It was stained red and had entered beneath his right jawbone and could be felt beneath the skin on the neck behind his left ear.

The dog had clearly tried to sleep off his injury, obviously with no luck. I can't imagine how this took place, but I always picture a rabbit bracing the stick into the ground as the coyote pounced in as last ditch effort to elude him.:)

Gunnerboy
September 29, 2013, 02:15 PM
Well living in the pacific northwest things dont last as long being they rot or rust quicker, but Ive found a old 30s dodge pick up cab nothing else, a pink station wagon in some swamp bottoms, a old homestead with the lovely furniture of hand ties from the ceiling and a recliner.... yeah.... and a old cable crossing bridge that used to be the only connection from one side of this valley to the other.

j1
September 30, 2013, 09:30 AM
An emu which is a big bird just a little smaller than an ostrich. It escaped from a nearby emu farm and two guys bailed out of that pickup running to recapture it. They got it.

627PCFan
September 30, 2013, 10:15 AM
I've found 3, yes 3 of the geo-caching boxes while hunting public land around Maryland.

And a coupe of years ago about 30 miles South of Annapolis a Emu got loose and was roaming the (once) countryside for a few days. A farmer apparently got it with a 12 gauge deer slug, so we now know the answer for "What caliber for....Emu"

NelsErik
September 30, 2013, 02:42 PM
Found these on scouting trip. This off a pretty gnarly mountain road and I have no idea how these got back there. I counted seven cars in all. Excuse my nephew acting like, well, my nephew.

wyohome
September 30, 2013, 08:18 PM
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y156/Deaver/17c51a0d.jpg (http://s5.photobucket.com/user/Deaver/media/17c51a0d.jpg.html)

morcey2
September 30, 2013, 08:48 PM
You can't just post that without some explanation!

That's like the guy with the wooden leg telling you that he'll answer one question. You ask him how he lost his leg. He responds with "It was chewed off" and walks off.

wyohome
September 30, 2013, 08:58 PM
It is hanging from a snare wire. Is that enough? :)

CHighfield
September 30, 2013, 09:35 PM
I wasn't hunting, but I was running up a local mountain and decided to leave the roadside and go on the trail at bout 2.5 miles up. The trail was marked "NO PARKING" at the entrance (since many people "park" on top of that mountain...) but I figured trail running was okay.

I kept going and I stumbled across garbage bags, maybe 30, full of only latex gloves and syringes.

I immediately felt endangered, and like someone was watching me. I took a look around the next corner and saw long chains connecting trees and roping an area off with a home made "NO TRESSPASSING" sign.

I immediately turned tail and ran back out.

ADKWOODSMAN
September 30, 2013, 10:12 PM
About 20 miles south of Tupper Lake NY I found a small stream with very little water. The bottom was a vein about 15 feet long and 3 feet wide of quartz. Small chunks, about the size of small safety pins, of crinkled metal fragments about 1/8 inch in width and up to 1/2 inch long on the surface and inside of the quartz. Weirdest thing I ever found in the woods.

Another time my cousins husband and I were checking muskrat traps before sun up. We had been on the lake about a half hour when all of a sudden the sky was lit up in a green hue by a meteor. Nature can sure put on a show.

Another very cold day while beaver trapping, I came upon an inch of fresh ice on the lake. The sun was very bright and all of a sudden there were sounds like jets flying over the lake. No jets, but the sun was heating the clear ice to cracking hundreds of feet long.

NORA
October 7, 2013, 06:31 PM
I was out hunting one day and as is quite common with me I got lost. Pretty normal state of affairs for me. On this day however I stumbled on an old overgrown graveyard, no roads into it and very small maybe 25 graves. I sat down on one of the gravestones to eat a bit of lunch and when I got up I read the inscription on the stone. "As you are I was, as I am you will be" I got a little somber thinking about that. By the way I was never able to find that place again. FRJ

Art Eatman
October 7, 2013, 08:47 PM
I wasn't hunting at the time, but one time while driving the sand roads in the Appalachicola National Forest south of Tallahassee I found a sinkhole pond. Maybe 100 feet across. Beautiful water. Nearby I found three or four old gravestones. All I remember is that one was dated 1823. No sign of any farmstead or cabin.

In my south pasture at Terlingua is a circle of foot-diameter rocks; maybe thirty feet across. If you stand in the center and look at the only gap in the ring, you're looking in the direction of the sunrise of the winter solstice. The state archaeologist, his archaeologist girlfriend and another archaeologist spent a half-hour arguing over historic vs. pre-historic. Damfino. However, stone-age artifacts are common in the area; some on the surface, others several feet below the surface.

content
October 7, 2013, 09:07 PM
Tracking deer last year I found this "arrow head". 189734
I found many half this size but never one like this. Might have been used on S.C. Buffalo, Elk or Bear years ago, seems large for whitetail.

Kayaker 1960
October 7, 2013, 10:00 PM
This is a great thread!

In June of 2010 I spent 19 days kayaking and rafting the Colorado River through the Grand Canyon. If you are an adventurous outdoorsman then I can't recommend it enough.
When we pulled into one of the riverside camp spots we found a coyote that was mortally injured but not dead. It had fallen off the approximately 100 foot cliff. As the only hunter in the party and the only one of the 16 people who had ever killed an animal with anything other than a car, I finished the poor guy off with a large rock. I dragged him downstream a ways and left him on a rock for the resident condors and ravens to dispose of.
I imagine it was like the old road runner cartoons, The road runner won.

boogieman
October 8, 2013, 08:57 AM
I was with a couple of buddies walking in an old sand wash just south of Millville, NJ. On top of one of the bluffs we found what appeared to be a stone alter, fire ring and several what im assuming stone seats in a large circle around the fire ring. Close by we found a very decomposed dog (I think) hanging from a tree. I couldnt get out of there fast enough. In retrospect I should have reported it. Seeing as we shouldnt have been there either I never did. I have herd stories of so called devil worshipers in the general area. Im assuming that we had found one of the temples.
Also found a penny from 1794 and many foundations, chimneys etc.... made from stacked Jersey stone.

wgaynor
October 8, 2013, 09:17 AM
About two years ago, while squirrel hunting at my parents farm in Western Kentucky, I saw a huge black cat. Thing was bigger than our German Sheppard and had a very long tail. I was near the top of a hill and it was about 50 yards down below following a creek bed.

Armed with only my 10/22, I decided it was better to just freeze and watch. It moved from tree to tree and was awesome to watch.

About 20 years ago, my Mother saw one in the same woods when deer hunting (yeah, she's awesome like that).

I spoke with the Game Warden, and he said there's been alot of sightings, but none that he's seen. Told me it was also illegal to shoot them.

Patocazador
October 8, 2013, 09:42 AM
There are no records of melanistic cougars. Jaguarundis are occasionally spotted in Florida due to people turning them loose but they are quite a bit smaller than a German Shepherd.
Maybe an escaped black leopard. Most of the black panther sightings down here are Labrador retrievers.

wgaynor
October 8, 2013, 09:48 AM
You know how Urban Legends are... but the story is some dude released some exotic animals back in the 70's. I doubt there's any truth to those stories, but I did see some reports online of big black cats in these areas.

And you know that everything on the internet is real.

Art Eatman
October 8, 2013, 12:27 PM
It's been some fifteen years or so since the last report in south Brewster County, but for over a decade we had fairly regular sightings of high-melanin cougars, with the usual "black panther" stories. Since I've personally known three of the observers, I don't doubt the stories.

I've seen a couple of the usual tan/brown cougars, but the oddest deal was one that was colored much like a Sealpoint Siamese on his mask, paws and tip of his tail.

JShirley
October 8, 2013, 01:32 PM
Not exactly strange, but really neat, have been the times I've seen large owls while hunting the Georgia woods.

morcey2
October 8, 2013, 06:08 PM
A couple of years ago, I actually saw a rooster pheasant while pheasant hunting. It wouldn't fly, just run, but at least we saw one. It's been pretty slim pickins around here for pheasants for about 20 years.

Ironically, they end up taking residence in the field right behind my house which is off limits due to it being in town.

huntsman
October 8, 2013, 07:38 PM
My youngest son and I had the opportunity to view a couple of the more wary critters around our homestead.

The first was when we were out deer hunting, we were together talking and all of a sudden a ruffed grouse came ripping through the tree tops afterburners full on and he had to because about 10 yards behind him was a goshawk. We could see them both for about 60 yards and the grouse made a couple impressive sharp angle cuts and the last we saw the goshawk was pulling up and going home hungry.

A few years latter we were walking down the dirt road heading home cold and hungry after spending the afternoon on stands when I happened to glance into my woodlot and about 40 yards from the house I saw a red fox laying in the leaves, I thought the fox was dead so I grabbed my son's arm pointed and yell fox trying to startle the kid but to our surprise the fox pulled his head up out of his tail jumped up then bolted,

bubba15301
October 8, 2013, 09:38 PM
Content, are you sure it's not a spear point?

content
October 8, 2013, 09:49 PM
bubba15301--- very well could be but the spear points I have found are rounder and broad. A friend that knows more than me about such things says arrow head.

I just looked at the entire listing of S.C. arrowheads and mine is most like the Morrow Mountain and a bit like the Wateree. They are both found in overlapping areas so it might be a cross between the two.

lpsharp88
October 8, 2013, 09:49 PM
Lots of cool stories here! Strangest thing I've come across is an old foundation to a house that was long gone. Guess I need to get in the woods some more

Fireforger
October 8, 2013, 09:57 PM
A few years ago, I took a young family friend on a youth turkey hunt here in NW Missouri. We heard deer snorting and since he had never heard one, I told him to watch and he might see it. In a few minutes a bobcat sprang out of the woods edge being chased by a doe who had her head down pawing and snorting at the thing. She chased it across the field we were hunting in. The boy didn't get a turkey but he saw something he'll never forget.

kerreckt
October 11, 2013, 12:12 PM
This isn't a hunting story but a pretty unusual find. In about 1964 ( I was about 10) my cousin and I went to find an old run down building we had seen on an earlier trip in the woods. We found it again, with plenty of daylight left, and went in to see if there were any "treasures". We found many wooden cases of .45acp, .30 carbine and .30 cal. ammo. The cases were too heavy to carry but we manged to break open one of the .45acp wooden boxes and we stuffed our pockets and ran home. When we got home we showed all our bullets to my father and uncle. They naturally wanted to know where we got them. We told them and they wanted us to take them to the building. We went back to the building and this time searched the whole building and found more ammo and boxes of explosives and literature. The literature was from the American Nazi Party. This was in northern Virgina and their HQ was about 3 miles away. My uncle knew who owned the property and the owner called the police. We watched the police remove everything but the explosives from the building. Military people from one of the nearby bases came and removed the explosives and wouldn't let us get close enough to watch. To this day I wish I could have gotten more bullets but my father and uncle weren't going to hear it. We took the bullets we had to school to show everyone. Boy, have times changed.

rondog
October 11, 2013, 02:59 PM
Not a hunting story - but we live in a very nice, peaceful, and very residential neighborhood. Not long after we moved here, I was going somewhere about dusk and right around the corner I saw four pheasants, two cocks and two hens, side-by-side in pairs, just walking down the sidewalk like citizens out for an evening stroll! Never seen anything like it before or since.

squarepants33889
October 12, 2013, 06:30 AM
While walking thru some bush once, I stumbled across a number of bushes that someone had knit "stockings" onto. The "stockings were knit in a manner that each one must have been knit on the site. There must have been 3 dozen branches that had anywhere from about 12-36 inches of coverage.
Someone even more eccentric than myself must have spent days up in that coulee knitting nice little warm "socks" for trees.
I gps'ed the spot and named it "tree socks" on my favourites list. I still take my new hunting buddies by the spot just to see the looks on their faces.

BigBore44
October 12, 2013, 07:21 AM
^^Ok, THAT'S strange. Got pics of the "Tree Socks"?

WayBeau
October 12, 2013, 08:23 AM
Not really strange, more sad really. I was making my way down an old fire road on the mountain I hunt when I saw something dangling from the brush. Upon further inspection, I realized it was a balloon with a tag on it. The tag was a call for help to find a missing little girl from WVA. Looked her up when I got home and found out she still hadn't been found. Hope to never find anything like that ever again.

PonyKiller
October 12, 2013, 06:27 PM
pretty mundane, but a rolled up NY state motorcycle dealer tag in the crook of a tree that I sat down in. It poked me on the rear I grabbed it, and turned it in to the police. It was an odd find 2 miles from a road, and a mile from a path that you could pass a truck in. Since it wasn't accompanied by A. bright patch of grass or B. a depression I picked it up and went on with my hunting. Being the Pine barrens if it were accompanied by A. or B. I would have put it back and walked on.

We used to get a bunch of devil worshipers round here. make shift alters, panache for sacrificing roosters and sheep and burning pentagrams of varying sizes every winter. When death metal trailed off in the mid 90's and they grew outta the phase it stopped

JeffDilla
October 12, 2013, 08:59 PM
Not exactly a hunting trip, but a spring fishing trip (We were hunting for trout). My brother and I were heading into a remote trout pond in the north Maine woods. We were miles and miles out on old logging roads and came across a pile of dead cows. It looked like they been there a good part of the winter. I counted at least four different cows, one being a calf. It was kind of hard to tell how many there were because they were in a big heap and had some good decomposition going.

My guess is that a farmer hauled them out there after they fell to disease or something. Still, really strange thing to come across so far from civilization!

308win
October 12, 2013, 10:16 PM
I was hunting for my golf ball (spent a lot time doing that when I was 'playing' golf) - anywho, I found it (I think it was mine) in a Canada Goose nest - neither she nor the gander were in the mood to let me get close enough to retrieve it.

Tejicano Loco
October 13, 2013, 09:47 AM
Not hunting related but should be filed under "Weird Wildlife" - In high school one Sunday morning I heard a strage buzzing up in a tree in the front yard - I looked up and saw what was making the sound but couldn't figure what I was seeing until I climbed high enough until it was at arm's length. It was a rather large preying mantis that had caught a small, young hummigbird by the head. The preying mantis was hanging upside down - or out to one side of the small branch he was holding with his feet when the bird tried again and again to get away.

I thunked the bug in the head with my finger until it let go.

The strangest thing I've ever seen while hunting was a group of a dozen or so Coati while hunting in southern Arizona. They were walking with their tails straight up in the air like antennea.

OptimusPrime
October 13, 2013, 02:09 PM
You said hunting right? I guess that includes people? :D. Fake hunting of course. I found some wild warthogs once.....
I was playing the part of the bogeyman as a member of a 4-man fire team at JRTC in beautiful Fort Polk, LA. We spent the night camped out on the backside of some ridge in the middle of nowhere, overlooking some stupid valley between 2 stupid ridges, totally secluded. We slept great until dawn the next morning when the A-10s began their strafing and bombing runs on the live-fire range that was apparently that valley. We were all camo'd up and hiding so I'm sure nobody expected us there, and I'm also sure we were technically inside the danger-close window, but man was that ever COOOOOOOL! The A-10s were coming in at about the same altitude as our ridge so we were at the pilot's level when he'd begin shooting that Gatling gun. Tremendously awesome to witness that. I believe that most people who get that close don't live to talk about it.

Davek1977
October 14, 2013, 03:10 AM
"Not a hunting story - but we live in a very nice, peaceful, and very residential neighborhood. Not long after we moved here, I was going somewhere about dusk and right around the corner I saw four pheasants, two cocks and two hens, side-by-side in pairs, just walking down the sidewalk like citizens out for an evening stroll! Never seen anything like it before or since."

Being right along the Missouri River breaks, we get a lot of deer here in town (Pierre, SD). I've seen trophy bucks standing by my mailbox and in my cousin's backyard numerous times. However, the most humorous deer sighting I had came as I was driving home from work at 7 AM. I was on the "main drag" through town, and happened to glance at Taco Johns on my way by.....lo and behold, there was a doe standing right at the drive-thru window. I wonder what she ordered?

OptimusPrime
October 14, 2013, 01:09 PM
Extra lettuce?

KMatch
October 17, 2013, 09:56 AM
I find the critters where I shoot hogs to be, uh, odd... Just a couple nights ago I shot a hog with a 30-06 and before the smoke cleared about 20-30 seconds later a small buck walks up about 25 yards from us with the "Sup?" look on his face. I kept the light on him as he moseyed along a drainage ditch and he could care less - he knows the regs.

BP Hunter
October 17, 2013, 11:33 AM
I used to hunt deep down in south Texas just few hundred yards form the Rio Grande. The soil in that area was covered with sea shells. No buildings around or any form of construction. We were also hundreds of mile from the sea. This area used to be sea bed. :eek:

CoRoMo
October 17, 2013, 03:42 PM
Not really strange, more sad really. I was making my way down an old fire road on the mountain I hunt when I saw something dangling from the brush. Upon further inspection, I realized it was a balloon with a tag on it.
My brother found one of those while elk hunting a few years ago. The tag had a prayer written on it from a child that was asking God to heal Momma of cancer. I don't know if we should read those tags when we see 'em.

Officers'Wife
October 17, 2013, 04:45 PM
Hmmm, I took hubby snipe hunting once but all he found was a sucker. :D

huntsman
October 17, 2013, 05:36 PM
^ your hubby is a lucky man;)

iawolfeman
October 18, 2013, 02:50 PM
Ah, the best season of all! Thanks, officers wife, for bringing up some wonderful memories...

ApacheCoTodd
October 21, 2013, 10:58 PM
Won't say where... Won't even say in what state.

Been back several times and ran the numbers to make certain it wasn't undiscovered by the USAAF after it's unintended descent.

I dig it like I do a mysteriously vacated settlers homestead, respect and secrecy.

JRWhit
October 21, 2013, 11:14 PM
Won't say where... Won't even say in what state.

Arizona?

BigBore44
October 21, 2013, 11:51 PM
I wouldn't say where either. That would be quite a find indeed.

boogieman
October 22, 2013, 07:32 AM
pretty mundane, but a rolled up NY state motorcycle dealer tag in the crook of a tree that I sat down in. It poked me on the rear I grabbed it, and turned it in to the police. It was an odd find 2 miles from a road, and a mile from a path that you could pass a truck in. Since it wasn't accompanied by A. bright patch of grass or B. a depression I picked it up and went on with my hunting. Being the Pine barrens if it were accompanied by A. or B. I would have put it back and walked on.

We used to get a bunch of devil worshipers round here. make shift alters, panache for sacrificing roosters and sheep and burning pentagrams of varying sizes every winter. When death metal trailed off in the mid 90's and they grew outta the phase it stopped
Read my story in this thread. I was in the old Silica Sand Wash when I found the alter. Where about are you from?

WaywardSon
October 22, 2013, 09:02 AM
About two years ago, while squirrel hunting at my parents farm in Western Kentucky, I saw a huge black cat. Thing was bigger than our German Sheppard and had a very long tail. I was near the top of a hill and it was about 50 yards down below following a creek bed.

Armed with only my 10/22, I decided it was better to just freeze and watch. It moved from tree to tree and was awesome to watch.

About 20 years ago, my Mother saw one in the same woods when deer hunting (yeah, she's awesome like that).

I spoke with the Game Warden, and he said there's been alot of sightings, but none that he's seen. Told me it was also illegal to shoot them.
Been 30 years or more...but was fishing at one of the small lakes on the Ballard Co. refuge...late afternoon a pair of large black cats wandered into view about 100 yards off. Watched them for several minutes...pretty cool. According to the authorities they were a figment of my imagination:-)

SimplyChad
October 25, 2013, 02:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgaynor View Post

Been 30 years or more...but was fishing at one of the small lakes on the Ballard Co. refuge...late afternoon a pair of large black cats wandered into view about 100 yards off. Watched them for several minutes...pretty cool. According to the authorities they were a figment of my imagination:-)

Same thing with the mountain lions we hear calling every night or when we find their tracks in our pasture or the black bear tracks we found outside Crockett. Every one they talk to tells us we are crazy or mistaken. I've killed mountain lions before, I've tracked them and been tracked by them. I know cat tracks yet there's no way they are her. I call B.S.

Dinosaur1
October 25, 2013, 07:16 PM
Once, when I had temporarily misplaced myself in a U.P. cedar swamp, I wandered out to a dirt road. There I found a guy hunting the edge of the road and I asked if he had seen anything. He told me his companions down the road had had a couple of "sound shots" but that he hadn't seen anything and he didn't take "sound shots". He was a Detroiter. I had never heard of such a thing! A Detroiter that didn't take "sound shots"? If he wasn't lying, that was the strangest thing I ever came across.

squarepants33889
October 27, 2013, 11:15 PM
Sorry about the late response. I had a hard time finding where I had stored the pictures.
Weird!

squarepants33889
October 27, 2013, 11:22 PM
A couple more pics

95XL883
October 28, 2013, 12:12 AM
We're they trying to spell Willy? A memorial maybe?

squarepants33889
October 28, 2013, 12:21 AM
I never even thought that it might be spelling something out. I'm gonna have to head back out and take some pics from farther away and from different angles.
Maybe the trees were just cold!

Officers'Wife
October 28, 2013, 07:10 AM
Hi Squarepants,

Grafting coats? That would surely protect the joint while not inhibiting growth. I may try that on the apple trees next spring.

Patocazador
October 28, 2013, 09:28 AM
Definitely extraterrestrials .. with deadly knitting needles.

JeffDilla
October 28, 2013, 07:46 PM
Looks like maybe you stumbled across the work of a "yarn bomber".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yarn_bombing

squarepants33889
October 28, 2013, 11:19 PM
Now, who the hell woulda thought that was actually a thing.
Yarnbomber? It's like graffiti for grandmas?

95XL883
October 28, 2013, 11:47 PM
Yarn bombing?! Wow! I wonder if they have to be licensed to carry concealed knitting needles? Maybe they open-carried? :D

Korengali
October 29, 2013, 05:59 PM
I was hunting elk in SW Washington last year, just below the landing I parked the rig and as soon as I got in the timber I had to download breakfast. WHen I was recovering my dignity, I looked back up the clearcut whence I had just walked through, and an old grey faced blacktail buck beyond growing big horns was in the open and had his head down but backing up like he was imagining the good old days of sparring, except there was no other buck sparring... he kept backing up the hill and defending himself against the ghosts of blacktail pasts... I was at a complete loss as to what in the devil was going on here... until I saw a flash of blue gray fur and a raunchy little coyote showed me enough that I was satisfied he wasn't the dairy farmer's cattle dog. I made that old buck's day and blasted that critter with an offhand shot at 45 yards. I've been in those woods for years and it's crazy I've never seen that old buck, but I'm sure he's seen me. Went up to check him out and the clearcut started sprouted a dozen orange vests it seemed, like I was the one who just found the herd. Nope! I hollered out. Just a song dog!

simonstough
November 2, 2013, 08:53 AM
my step brother found an old shotgun in the woods once. when i was in college i found a Springfield xd in a creek, also the obligatory arrowheads in fields but thats really it. i'm sincerely jealous of the guys that have found ammo and explosives in abandoned buildings. and a sidenote on the ballons with notes and tags, i've often wondered what the people that find them think, we put tags on balloons every year for my cousin and i send notes off about 6 times a year for my daughter.

huntinfool87
November 2, 2013, 04:04 PM
I found an old cannon from the Indian war it was just on the Idaho side of the Montana boarder looked like it fell off a cliff and was just left there. I also found an old cabin that had a table built into the wall and wedged in between two logs there was a 45 caliber pistol with no markings on it and it had a full stock and was about 13 inches long!

MRH
December 23, 2013, 05:45 PM
While elk hunting during rifle season in Colorado, which requires a blaze orange upper garment and blaze head cover. Was on a mountain in national forest, surrounded by miles of BLM land. Nearest private property was a ranch in a flat valley about 5 miles away. Came across a hunter wearing traditional red and black checked outfit - from head to toe. Guy said he'd been dropped off on the mountain by an outfitter. Also said he had shot a bull elk which ran to a cliff and disappeared. He did not try to find the elk. Said he was waiting for another bull to show up.

On the way out of the area, I let a game warden know about the guy.

Another year an acquaintance found a M94, 30-30, leaned against a tree.

Mike

easy
December 23, 2013, 07:02 PM
Not hunting but out riding around in the desert, found an aerial bomb, later to be declared a MKXII practice bomb. Another time found a rusty air launched missile, all crumpled up like a squashed beer can.

rayatphonix
December 24, 2013, 08:15 AM
I found the bumper/front end of a 2003 GMC Sierra last year. Mentioned it to another hunter. Loaded it up about an hour later. He had no idea how long ago he'd lost it as he didn't even know it was missing.

Bush Pilot
December 26, 2013, 01:47 PM
A few years ago while hunting in Alaska a friend and I stumbled on a sealed pallet of MREs and a pallet with new chainsaws and water pumps. We made note of where they were and when we got back to civilization reported it. The game warden said a helicopter pilot was dropping supplies for a fire crew the year before and dropped them in the wrong drainage, worse yet, he couldn't remember where they were. The warden said to help ourselves as the DNR had written them off and wouldn't pay for another helicopter to pick them up.

Ranger Roberts
December 26, 2013, 01:54 PM
The warden said to help ourselves as the DNR had written them off and wouldn't pay for another helicopter to pick them up.

I wish I had your luck! If you are looking for old tires and beer cans, I can point you in the right direction...

Lennyjoe
December 26, 2013, 02:54 PM
Groups of illegals on multiple occasions.

Illegal alien in the middle of nowhere, alone on the side of the road, holding a money satchel. We abruptly left and called BP.

Couple of weeks ago I had a drug running scout walk up on me while hunting ~2 miles off the border. Was sitting on the side of a ridge and had the access road behind me where the BP patrol..

Andrew Leigh
December 26, 2013, 03:21 PM
Not nice, also would be something I would want to forget.

Skyshot
December 26, 2013, 07:14 PM
While squirrel hunting years ago I came up on a moonshine still and it was cooking mash. There was no one to be seen anywhere, but I felt like I had a set of crosshairs on my head.

Grayrock
December 27, 2013, 01:30 AM
A friend and I were out hunting chi-chi birds when we were kids. We were in the woods behind his house. Came to a clearing and there were metal milk crates all over the place. There were enough of them that we made a pyramid with them. The base was 12 crates by 12 crates and we made it up to 1 crate at the top (11 X 11, 10 X 10, 9 X 9, etc. We always wondered how and why they were there.

kyhuntsman94
December 27, 2013, 08:27 AM
While in college, my younger brother, a friend of ours, and I stopped by a farmers to ask for permission to hunt small game (rabbit, squirrel, pheasant, etc.). He gladly gave it and told us to feel free to hunt anytime except deer season which his sons hunted. No problem. So we decide to go home and grab our gear for an exploratory hunt to get the lay of the land. We walked all over that farm and did not see any signs of any game at all. After 45 minutes we got this eerie feeling like we were being watched the entire time. Here we are three young men with loaded shotguns and we were as skittish as a cat in a room full of rocking chairs. After traipsing around for a few hours we decided to call it a day and never went back. To this day my younger brother and I bring it up every now and then and still wonder at the feeling we all got that day.

Erik M
December 27, 2013, 03:18 PM
Story 1: I was hickory chicken (as we call them, morel mushroom is another term I know for them) hunting. We were walking an old logging road that had a large ditch on one side that was very grown up with cattails and scrub grass. A fully grown bobcat jumped clear across the ditch, landing between my dad and myself as he was walking about 10 feet ahead of me. It didn't even look at us and booked it out of there.

Story 2: There was another time that I was up on the local 4x4 trails with my female acquantince at the time. It was after midnight, clear with a bright moon. we were leaning up against the front of her truck when we heard the most god-awful scream/piercing roar I've ever heard. It was like it was 10 feet away from us. Easily the most scared I've ever been in the woods, as it was before I carried a weapon with me everytime I went in the woods (fish and wildlife have been releasing black bears throughout the last decade here so Its a good idea to be armed with something big bore nowdays IMO). Mountain Lions have been extinct from this region for the better part of a century according to what ive read, but after listening to sound clips online I don't think a bobcat could have made that sound, but I could be wrong. we never saw what it was.

Edit: I would like to thank everyone for sharing, I frequent another more lax, more boisterous forum and we exchange hunting/creepy experiences from being out in the woods. Excellent reading chaps, stay safe out there.

Speedgoat
January 2, 2014, 10:30 PM
Few years ago I was 're-pioneering' a road that's not on maps anymore, but I know where it is, on my old 300 Honda 4x4 and came acrossed a chest cooler with a hand (later determined to be a Halloween decoration) about 1.5 miles in, no tracks in aside from a game trail, but all the tall grass had been squished as if about 50 people had camped out there, no trash or remains of a campfire though.

Still kinda curious about what happened there, but I didn't go out looking for any elk around there the rest of the year.

Edventures
January 3, 2014, 12:45 AM
ok , this was a while back but ,true story. A buddy and I were hunting deer in the driftless area, callled that because the glaciers never flattened the area.
There is bluffs and coulees and creeks and rivers all dumping into the mississppi.
We were walking up a dug road to the apple orchard on top for a afternoon stand hunt . This road was dug back in the day to get equipment to the top of a 600 foot bluff . Almost to the top of this 1/2 mile road we saw a tree stump.
Now this stump was in a stand of new undergrowth aspen and buckthorn,thick wait a minute bushes. it standouts in my mind because it was fresh white wood.
saw it from a long ways off. what you have to understand was it wasnt cut it was sheared off clean. there was no saw dust or shavings there was no broken limbs on surrounding bushes ,no distrubance to the forest floor no drag marks and no tree . it was fourteen or fifteen inches round . this is a big tree. Gone.
I asked around to the land owner ,locals noone was logging noone was up there.
I had been hunting there all week every morning and afternoon up that trail ,the deer always in the orchard at those twillite hours.I still have no idea what happened to that tree,you could see where it was ,but where did it go?

swampcrawler
January 3, 2014, 03:50 AM
I love this thread. Only thing I've ever found was a whole bunch of old glass bottles and a '50s Ford pickup rusted out with trees growing through it but only a few hundred yards from the road.

I love this thread.

samort457
January 3, 2014, 11:49 AM
When I was younger my sister, cousins, and I were walking through the creek on family's property. There was a 20 foot bluff on one side and at the top there was a stonewall about 30 feet long, it looked like a group of had taken some of the river stones and stacked on top of each other until it created a 4 foot with with and little dip in the top about every 5 feet. So of course we climbed up to the top and saw little pieces of really old rusted metal but it was really kind of cool.

The_Armed_Therapist
January 3, 2014, 07:08 PM
I saw a chimpanzee in a patch of woods in Oldsmar, Florida when I was a kid. I was not hunting, but a friend and I were walking on a path not far from Tampa Bay, and found it standing on a tree stump about 10 feet in front of us. It took off running, and we took off running in the opposite direction. To that point, I had never been so startled. Does anyone have any logical explanation for this? LOL... I have always wondered. I mean, I've heard of keeping them as pets... maybe it escaped?

BigBore44
January 3, 2014, 11:46 PM
Armedtherapist,
Odds are that's exactly what happened. Had two hunters last week about 10 miles from where I live (NE Oklahoma) that were deer hunting and a kangaroo came hopping by. It made the local news. Same thing. Escaped pet.

H&Hhunter
January 4, 2014, 01:11 AM
One time when I was hunting in Colorado I went to answer the call of the wild. I leaned my M-94 Winchester .30-30 up against a tree. When I came back it was gone. I never have found that rifle.

TennJed
January 4, 2014, 01:20 AM
Good thread

frankenstein406
January 4, 2014, 01:44 AM
I saw a chimpanzee in a patch of woods in Oldsmar, Florida when I was a kid. I was not hunting, but a friend and I were walking on a path not far from Tampa Bay, and found it standing on a tree stump about 10 feet in front of us. It took off running, and we took off running in the opposite direction. To that point, I had never been so startled. Does anyone have any logical explanation for this? LOL... I have always wondered. I mean, I've heard of keeping them as pets... maybe it escaped?
Pretty sure animals get loose from the airport all the time. I think they have a team that comes in and try to shoot them tho.

AKElroy
January 4, 2014, 07:51 PM
Last year my son asked me to come see the cottontail sitting at the bottom step of our hunting trailer, unfazed by us standing over him. I looked down, and three feet in front of the rabbit was one of her bunnies, wrapped up by a 5" rat snake. The bunny was already dead, and with us standing over them, the snake looked up at us, down at the bunny, back at us, then uncoiled and slithered off. It was like a nature show.

AKElroy
January 4, 2014, 07:58 PM
My first year on my current lease I camped in the woods my first night. I slept in the bed of my truck, a lifted tundra. I had a large boar wake me up at 3 am, grunting and grumbling under my open tailgate, just feet from my head. My rifle was in the cab of the truck, so there was nothing I could do but watch him trot off in the moonlight, grumbling and snorting with every step. I was high enough off the ground as to be in no danger. I am sure he was more interested in the scraps of dinner leftovers I tossed out. One would think that would only be a concern in bear country.

Creepy. I now cannot imagine camping on the ground with these things rooting around.

BudgetBucks1
January 5, 2014, 11:04 AM
While hunting on National Forest in Virginia last year I thought I heard a weed eater running in the distance. A few moments later a midget on a 50cc dirt bike came out of a logging road at full speed. He had matching riding suit, helmet and dirt bike. He went by me at 10 feet without so much as acknowledging I was there. When he was riding off I thought I saw a mullet sticking out from beneath the back of the helmet.

Ranger Roberts
January 5, 2014, 01:15 PM
While hunting on National Forest in Virginia last year I thought I heard a weed eater running in the distance. A few moments later a midget on a 50cc dirt bike came out of a logging road at full speed. He had matching riding suit, helmet and dirt bike. He went by me at 10 feet without so much as acknowledging I was there. When he was riding off I thought I saw a mullet sticking out from beneath the back of the helmet.

Hahaha! You just made my Sunday!

Legionnaire
January 5, 2014, 11:26 PM
Just this season hunting in SW Pennsylvania, I saw a critter I didn't recognize. After frolicking around a bit, it zeroed in on a squirrel, chased it down, killed it, and carried it off. Subsequent research leads me to conclude it was a fisher. I'd never seen one in the wild before, and didn't know they ranged this far south.

JRH6856
January 6, 2014, 12:19 AM
A midget with a mullet in the middle of the wood.
Matching bike and leathers and I bet a matching hood.
It gave him such a start that he froze right where he stood,
And watched the midget with the mullet in the middle of the wood.

Art Eatman
January 6, 2014, 09:27 AM
He's a poet.
Didn't know it.
But his feet show it.
Longfellows.

Timmypage16
January 6, 2014, 09:18 PM
The only thing I have found out of the ordinary in the woods was while playing paintball when I was younger. We were playing in a small patch of woods and stumbled upon someone's cannabis. Just turned around and walked out as if I didn't see a thing.

Biggs300
January 6, 2014, 10:36 PM
This past October, while elk hunting during the 2nd rifle season in CO, I ran into another hunter. Turns out, he wrestled at Oklahoma State and was a proud "Cowboy". Perhaps more importantly, he was a bronze medal winner in the 1976 Olympics. I typically don't like to run into other hunters while out in the field, but this encounter was rewarding and I truly enjoyed our brief conversation. Oh, I'm from Oklahoma and I'm a Sooner fan…and he was fine with it. Truly, a real gentleman!

25cschaefer
January 7, 2014, 09:36 AM
I wasn't hunting but, on the Continental Divide between Idaho and Big Sky a couple of years ago, I was bopping along a forest service road from camp to the worksite in my old Scout when an emu ran in front of me. I almost hit it, I skidded to a stop and it stopped about 40yds from me and we stared at each other for about a minute before he started pecking at the ground and I drove off. I had my pistol on the seat next to me but it did not even cross my mind, I was in shock. I didn't even tell anybody at work because I knew they wouldn't believe me and construction workers can be cruel. Our jobsite was about 15 miles from any private building and more than 20 from anything with suitable facilities for an emu.

BudgetBucks1
January 8, 2014, 04:08 PM
A midget with a mullet in the middle of the wood.
Matching bike and leathers and I bet a matching hood.
It gave him such a start that he froze right where he stood,
And watched the midget with the mullet in the middle of the wood.

JRH6586, that is awesome, you made my day. As I read the poem it gave me flashbacks.

j1
January 8, 2014, 04:15 PM
My underwear which I used to wipe my butt and left in the woods the first time I ever went hunting.

H&Hhunter
January 8, 2014, 07:20 PM
MRH wrote;
Another year an acquaintance found a M94, 30-30, leaned against a tree.

I wrote;
One time when I was hunting in Colorado I went to answer the call of the wild. I leaned my M-94 Winchester .30-30 up against a tree. When I came back it was gone. I never have found that rifle.

I've been waiting for somebody to catch on to this but I can't stand it anymore. JUST FOOLING guys......:D:D:D

R.W.Dale
January 8, 2014, 07:32 PM
Not hunting but it involves a game animal.

My youngest son who was just old enough to go out in the back yard unsupervised (3 or 4) to play was in the back yard when me and the wife who are inside hear the most horrified blood curdling screams come from the child.

Naturally we bolt outside to find the strangest sight that was the last thing we expected to see. To our vast relief and actual amusement we find poor Lukas literally with his back against the wall mere inches from being nose to nose with a small fawn not much taller than him that was absolutely nonplussed about the poor child's abject terror.

Of course we "rescued" the poor kid from his impending doom and as it turned out this was another case of an escaped pet from just up the road.

stressed
January 8, 2014, 08:17 PM
Cool stories. Anymore?

countertop
January 13, 2014, 08:38 PM
I came across this the other day, hunting in Maryland on property we lease. This is a good ways from any public road. Of course, its been leased for years - and the area has had a human presence since John Smith first surveyed the land in 1608.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y274/countertop/IMG_39591_zps9620dd16.jpg (http://s7.photobucket.com/user/countertop/media/IMG_39591_zps9620dd16.jpg.html)

H&Hhunter
January 14, 2014, 11:35 AM
Looks like someone had a bright idea^^^.

kbbailey
January 14, 2014, 02:59 PM
Those are illegal now right??

countertop
January 14, 2014, 04:16 PM
Those are illegal now right??

I don't think they can be manufactured any more. Not sure if they are illegal to sell. Don't think this one works.

It was a VERY odd place to find it. Not sure how long it had been there. We just added this land to your club this fall - and while we hunted it alot (I shot two white tails and a sika stag and a sika hind on it, a buddy killed a huge 6 pointer that I missed two shots on and saw on 3 other occaisions, and we found a pretty nice 7 pointer that we suspect died of EHD in the marsh further down from here), we never realy spent lots of time in this part of the property because there is both a major whitetail bedding area and a sika bedding area not too far from here.

Since Saturday was the last day of rifle season we decided to head in there mid day to see if we could jump anything and to explore, realizing that theres a whole 9 months till the season re-opens. I had identified this area to stick a ground blind in back in August, but never got around to it. We have two ladder stands and a ground blind that will be going in this spring during turkey season.

I am just wondering how long the bulb has been there. I suspect at least a year. Cameras all over the place, but we've never seen anyone on it in those pcitures.

utbrowningman
January 14, 2014, 06:41 PM
A couple of years ago, I actually saw a rooster pheasant while pheasant hunting. It wouldn't fly, just run, but at least we saw one. It's been pretty slim pickins around here for pheasants for about 20 years.

Ironically, they end up taking residence in the field right behind my house which is off limits due to it being in town.
Probably hunting the same ground I am. No roosters in sight.

If you enjoyed reading about "Strangest thing you came across while hunting" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!