Cats Cradle looking knife sharpener?

PDA

rcmodel
September 25, 2013, 09:13 PM
From back in the day?

Anyone remember the knife sharpener being sold at gun shows & the Knife Makers Guild show in K.C. about 25 some years ago?

The dealer / salesman would demo it by sharpening anyone's dull knife that walked up in a few strokes, and then slice paper with it.

It was made up of diamond rods, and a cats-cradle looking spring arrangement best I can remember it.

I can't remember the name of it, and wonder what ever happened to them??

rc

If you enjoyed reading about "Cats Cradle looking knife sharpener?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
hso
September 25, 2013, 10:12 PM
You're not thinking about the Warthog are you?

http://files.patiodaddiobbq.com/images/stuff/warthog/Warthog1_3.jpg

rcmodel
September 25, 2013, 10:21 PM
Yep!
I think that's it!

Or something very like it.

Thanks!

rc

lobo9er
September 25, 2013, 10:35 PM
huh interesting set up.

slicers63
September 25, 2013, 11:43 PM
I have one and it works great.

HoosierQ
September 26, 2013, 01:02 PM
It's like a Sharpmaker on LSD and Steroids!

Piraticalbob
September 26, 2013, 07:16 PM
Looks like it was designed by Rube Goldberg. :eek:

rcmodel
September 26, 2013, 07:36 PM
Yes, it does.

But if the gun show salesman demo's back in the day were any indication?

It really worked, good!!

rc

hso
September 26, 2013, 09:03 PM
I've used one and my buddy down the hill has one.

They work.

TimboKhan
September 27, 2013, 02:15 PM
As someone who has never been able to pick up the basic skill of hand sharpening a knife worth a darn, it always entertains me to see the various ways that an act that is in theory very simple and straightforward is (again, in theory) made easier by complicating the whole process.

hso
September 27, 2013, 10:58 PM
Timbo,

Something that appears to be simple like sharpening by hand is actually very complex. To effect an even double beveled edge takes something that looks as complicated as it appears to look simple by hand.

I've watched people fail at something as mechanically simple as a Sharpmaker because they just couldn't hold the knife parallel to the surface the Sharpmaker was sitting on. Amazing but true.

OTOH, if you make the system self adjusting so you get parallel orientation and even pressure on each side you get a perfect bevel.

If you enjoyed reading about "Cats Cradle looking knife sharpener?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!