Revo or Auto

PDA

Brian Williams
December 22, 2002, 11:29 PM
I vote revo, particularly S&W

If you enjoyed reading about "Revo or Auto" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
labgrade
December 23, 2002, 12:12 AM
I dunno, 'fessor.

Carried a 66 2.5" for a while & started looking at bullet weight velocities, etc. in the shorties & came up with a 9mm isn't giving up a thing, + it (in the BHP) has about another 9 rounds or so in the same offereing.

Being flatter & a better single action trigger .... what's not to like?

Other than personal pref, that is .....

sm
December 23, 2002, 12:19 AM
Both

Individual pref.
fits shooter, and shooter learns platform
large enough caliber to job
granted- situations may dictate otherwise.

Marko Kloos
December 23, 2002, 07:57 AM
Both have their strong points and drawbacks. I prefer revolvers for CCW, but I also carry autos. Like C.R. Sam says, revolvers for defense, autos for offense.

The main strongpoints of the revolver for CCW are simplicity, ammo insensitivity, good power-to-weight ratio, and the fact that the revolver is a self-contained weapons system with no magazines to lose or break.

The main strongpoints of the autopistol for CCW are higher capacity, faster reload speeds, and generally a slimmer profile.

Most of the time, I carry a revolver, with an autochucker as backup. 95% of the time I won't need more than the 5-6 reliable shots out of the wheel...and if I do, the fastest reload is a second gun. By carrying a BUG, you negate the main drawback of the wheel versus the autoloader, which is a slower reload.

C.R.Sam
December 23, 2002, 12:20 PM
What lendringser says...
Except;
I can reload wheel gun faster than autoshuker if limited to one hand.

Sam

Jim V
December 23, 2002, 01:41 PM
While I prefer a good 1911, I wouldn't feel too bad with a S&W 19/66 in hand. Carried one long enough when on the police department. Carried a 1911 longer though.

Heck, there are times that a good SAA would be a comfort.

C.R.Sam
December 23, 2002, 02:19 PM
Heck, there are times that a good SAA would be a comfort. Beats the whey out of no gun.

Sam

burrhead
December 23, 2002, 04:38 PM
Depends. I live way out in the boonies where I'm more likely to have to put down an animal I just hit with my truck than a human. For that I'm very comfortable with a S&W M19. When I have to go to the big city and stay in a motel (which I think are really dangerous places) I'm packing a full sized 1911 with three spare mags. YMMV ;)

Betty
December 23, 2002, 06:27 PM
Both. I'll either have a revolver or auto for CCW, with a revolver for backup. I used to carry a P32 for backup, but I don't like the trigger and would rather rely on a revolver in my left hand. With a revolver I don't have to worry about a slide not going into full battery in my weaker left hand.

I switch between my Taurus 617 or USPc for a main carry gun.

Tamara
December 23, 2002, 08:42 PM
Depends on attire, season, location, and phase of the moon.

PC13 or P7M8, 1911 or 629, I'm happy.

(Most days I carry a 5-shot revolver as my primary gun, with an 8+1 shot auto for backup. ;) )

Ala Dan
December 24, 2002, 01:59 PM
Depends on the occassion; as I rely heavily on both. But
for serious social encounter's, give me a SIG-Sauer P220
any day!

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

C.R.Sam
December 24, 2002, 02:07 PM
Hard to fault the P 220.

Sam

Chugach
December 24, 2002, 02:11 PM
Carry mostly a P220, but feel very comfortable with an SP101. I've recently gotten interest in a 686 or a 627...wanted 'em both for a long, long time.

Schuey2002
December 24, 2002, 02:57 PM
Since I currently own only one revo,(S&W 686),it's semi auto 95% of the time..Besides,I rather enjoy popping clips into my semis. Plus,you just can't beat the sound of a Sig going back into battery... :D

cratz2
December 24, 2002, 03:09 PM
Was a revolver guy for a long time but I'm completely confident in all of my defensive autos. Slimmer, more rounds plus the 1911A1 is the definition of ultimate combat sidearm. If you prefer the smaller rounds but more of 'em, the Hi Power and later CZ75 designs fulfill that niche perfectly.

King
December 24, 2002, 05:44 PM
I like both as well. For CCW, I generally carry a wheel gun. Right now, that's a S&W 38 +P Air Light.

Other times I carry my 9MM Hi Cap Taurus Mod 92 (usually as a backup). Got to admit, it's nice to have 15 in the mag plus one in the pipe.

For in the car riding...the wheel gun and my 1911 Colt.

Ian
December 24, 2002, 05:53 PM
I like my 1911 more than any revolver I've held or fired, so I'll be using it for CCW when I start carrying. But IMO, open carry requires a stylish handgun, like an 1860 cap & ball or an 8" SAA. :)

Sisco
December 24, 2002, 06:40 PM
Own a few of both, but find myself shooting revolvers more & more. I don't carry (would if I could but it's not allowed here :mad: )
I'm more accurate with revolvers, probably due to practice time, plus it's easier to keep track of the spent brass, no digging in the weeds on hands & knees!

Oracle
December 24, 2002, 06:42 PM
I prefer an auto for carry, specifically, my Glock 26. I like having 10 rounds on tap in a very concealable package, and having 17 more easily carried in a mag carrier on my belt. I know, I'll probably never use that many rounds, but it is comforting.

I like revolvers for target shooting and developing loads, especially single-action revolvers. They are just so much fun to shoot.

ZekeLuvs1911
December 24, 2002, 07:41 PM
I too prefer a good 1911a1. Shoot very well with one and practice with it almost every weekend.

HS/LD
December 24, 2002, 07:42 PM
I'm only happy...

If and when I press the trigger, it goes BOOM.

Everything else is fluff.:mad:

HS/LD:D

Blackhawk
December 24, 2002, 10:15 PM
If it's gottta be one or the other, I'll go for a 9mm auto just because of no shortage of ammo most anywhere I'm likely to find myself....

I'm still in my auto puppy love phase, anyway.... :D

Brad
December 24, 2002, 10:36 PM
Definitely an auto for CCW. Give me a Kahr K series or a P7M8 anyday. Now at the range, that's a different story. Nothing beats a good .357 or .44 mag shootin' match!

New_comer
December 24, 2002, 10:44 PM
It's gotta be auto.

I've got no other choice! ;)

Unless I could find a carry holster for my 870! :D:D:D

But...

My father still has that SW 22mag that I'm eyeing right now.

If and when he decides to give it to me, then I'll change my mind... :D

10-Ring
December 24, 2002, 11:43 PM
Yes to both. Current favorite is my USPc 9. But I love shooting vintage S&W revo's.

GoldenLoki
December 25, 2002, 12:09 AM
REVOLVER!

I'm getting to old and fat to pick up brass sprayed all over the ground : )

GL

m.i.sanders
December 25, 2002, 01:03 AM
Currently for me it's an auto, but that's mostly becuase I don't have a revolver small enough for CCW. I've been looking at some of the Taurus .357 snubies's though. I really like the size and weight.

2dogs
December 25, 2002, 11:35 AM
I like them both.

For CCW I carry Colt Mustang because it is the only one I've found that I can wear inside waist w/o feeling like I'm carrying a brick. But I do like to shoot semi.

For home I keep a .357 revolver on each of three floors of house.

After my last trip to the range, I've thought of going revolver for CCW. I took one of my 9mm (Beretta) to shoot and all was fine using a box of ammo I bought at the range that day. Then tried a box of PMC that I bought from an aquaintance recently, I don't know how old it was. But not one round would fire properly- either the round would not load or if it did there was a stovepipe on ejection or the gun would not cycle the next round. But the point is I felt kind of uncomfortable thinking that the semi is so
dependent on good ammo, correct handling etc.

Seems like a revolver would have had no problem with the not up to snuff ammo, and doesn't care if I "limp wrist" on an occaisional shot.

Am I wrong?

Mike Irwin
December 25, 2002, 11:39 AM
There was a time when my last shot-reload-first shot strings using speedloaders in my Model 19 were averaging about 3 to 5 seconds.

Requires TONS of practice, a lot more than with a semi-auto, but don't believe anyone who tells you that a semi-auto is faster to reload just by virtue of the fact that it's a semi-auto.

I suspect that were I to get a moon clip modification I could bring those reload speeds down even more.

riverdog
December 25, 2002, 01:18 PM
Purely personal. Semi's are usually flatter and carry better concealed, but revo's are ever so slightly more reliable, particularly if you're prone to limp-wristing. I like both.
Good defense: 1911A1 Compact, 3" S&W 629 ... or .38 snubbie of your choice.
Good Offense: 1911A1, S&W 686 ... M-1 Garand.
Good Home Defense: Remington 870 ... backed up with a 629, 686 or 1911A1

Chugach
December 25, 2002, 03:49 PM
There was a time when my last shot-reload-first shot strings using speedloaders in my Model 19 were averaging about 3 to 5 seconds.

Mike, how many hours of practice did you invest in getting to that level?

Watched Jerry Miculek on American Shooter use full moon clips and was astounded at how fast he did it. Think he was using a 686 with .38 Special...revolver was definitely tuned, but my gosh, he made it look simple! :eek:

ArmaLube
December 25, 2002, 05:06 PM
There is, obviously, no right or wrong here. Whatever you are comfortable with is the best choice for the individual.

I used to prefer revolvers because they don't use safety levers (thus always instantly ready). The revolvers mostly had the edge, if you were interested in max power. For the most part that is no longer the case. There are plenty of pretty powerful auto cartridges to choose from, as you know.

Today, my vote goes for automatics for the reasons already stated by others: capacity, slim, quick loading, etc. But, my further preference is for DA autos (not DAO, however). No safety, with hammer drop lever, revolver-like readiness. This reasoning is mine and guides my choices. Far be it for me to suggest what the next person ought to do. Freedom of choice is the spice of life. A good DA auto, in my view, is like a revolver on steroids!

In the progression of firearms development, the auto pistol resides further up on the ladder of evolutionary development. DA autos are still higher.

Once the choice is made between autos and revolvers, the next step is brand selection. But that is another story for another day.

The key to this discussion is that each person does his/her study of the subject, collects the facts, and makes a decision. And, should you decide to later change your mind, no one will try to stop you.

Happy, safe shooting,

Bob

Flash Hole
December 25, 2002, 06:16 PM
I shoot my P220 well right handed, and my 686 well left handed,
I try to keep both hands happy.
JOHN

Maddock
December 25, 2002, 06:40 PM
My all the time gun is a 442, but when I can carry a more substantial handgun I usually carry a 1911, unless I’m out in the boonies, then it’s usually a revolver.
They’re ALL fun, it’s just that the revolvers are even MORE fun and the N-Frames are the MOST fun.

Mike Irwin:
I suspect that were I to get a moon clip modification I could bring those reload speeds down even more.
When I was competing in IPSC I could get my 25-2 moonclip reloads down to about one second slower than with a 1911. BUT, I put a lot more time in practicing the revolver reload.:p

mnrivrat
December 26, 2002, 01:46 AM
Yes to both , but if you have doubt or lack experience you might want to start with a revolver .;)

45R
December 26, 2002, 02:01 AM
I takem both.

telewinz
December 26, 2002, 06:46 AM
When all is say and done and depending on my mood at the time its either a S&W M36 or a Kel-Tec P11.

Robert Farrar
December 26, 2002, 06:52 AM
Ok, I'll flog the horse :D
Generally, single action auto loladers are easier to learn to hit with. I prefer them over revolvers for defense, mainly due to the
light, short trigger squeeze. A 1911 in 45 ACP is hard to beat for said purpose.

Bob

tobeat1
December 26, 2002, 11:10 AM
Of the two I like autos better. Flatter profile, higher round count, SA in appropriate configurations (wahoo! 1911s)

Neal Bloom
December 26, 2002, 11:24 AM
It doesn't matter to me. As long as it goes bang when required then I am happy with it.

BigG
December 26, 2002, 11:29 AM
I like the boatufum, for various purposes. :D

Pocket carry is definitely Centennial country. :D Punchin paper is Colt Gold Cup territory. Shake well and use as directed. :cool:

Mike Irwin
December 26, 2002, 04:27 PM
Chugach,

I never kept track of the time, but it was a LOT of time.

I'd practice at the range, and practice at home, too.

Maddock,

In the grand scheme of things, 1 second may be a lot, or it may be nothing when doing a reload.

Was that using an extended slide release on the 1911? Bringing your hand up from the base of the grip to grasp the top of the slide to do a slighshot release, or to trip the slide release, can chew up some serious time in a speed reload with a semi.

The serious pin shooters who I've seen almost always use an extended slide release to increase the reload speed.

Dot_mdb
December 26, 2002, 08:34 PM
For up close defensive work I would want my Speed Six revolver.

In my opinion the gun you want to have with you is the one that you have the most practice with.

My feeling about reloading is that it would almost never be possible in civilian defensive situations. If the first six don't end it than I doubt if reloading would even be an option.

Has anybody ever read about a civilian having to defend himself and having to reload?

Bill

bad_dad_brad
December 26, 2002, 09:22 PM
I am thinking Tamara's 8+1 backup auto is a Jetfire. Just a guess. Love my Jetfire.

I keep a .38 SP101 on my nightstand because it will shoot under the covers. And she is totally reliable.

But when carrying I prefer a Kahr MK9 or a Kel Tec P32 (with a Jetfire in my back pocket.)

Sometimes a G19 if the attire permits.

And one of these days, I will try out a S&W Bodyguard 638 for carry.

chaim
December 27, 2002, 04:36 AM
I'm another both.

I think I lean very slightly towards revolvers, if for no other reason than my current favorite is one (my S&W 586) but my autos can be more fun at the range when I'm in the right mood and my 1911 and my CZ 75 sometimes are on top as my favorite.

For serious work I lean slightly towards a revolver but, again, both are very close. A revolver is more reliable, but today's autos are quite good too (even my Charles Daly 1911 is nearly 100% with good mags, my CZ 75B has had so few hiccups I can count them on one hand and I have thousands of rounds through it, my CZ 40 and Bersa have been 100%). A revolver is extremely simple so there is less chance for error so that puts it over on the auto (barely) but one should know what condition he/she stores his/her auto and one should train enough to be able to use it in any situation. For reloads the auto has a slim margin, but with practice the revolver can be almost as fast with speedloaders and in civilian situations how often does one need to reload (I like the fastest reload anyway- a second gun).

For me where revolvers have their biggest advantage is in class, but then 1911s share that advantage being almost as nice.

ruger357
December 27, 2002, 07:38 AM
I use both S&W mod. 28 and 1911.

Spoonman
December 27, 2002, 09:14 AM
Big G, I like the way you think, brother! I'll be up in the big city in a month or so. I'll tap you for info on places to check out, etc.

Bottom Gun
December 27, 2002, 10:36 AM
One advantage a revolver has is the ability to bypass a dud round almost instantly should you ever have one.

Maddock
December 27, 2002, 12:21 PM
Mike Irwin wrote:
Maddock,

In the grand scheme of things, 1 second may be a lot, or it may be nothing when doing a reload.

Was that using an extended slide release on the 1911? Bringing your hand up from the base of the grip to grasp the top of the slide to do a slighshot release, or to trip the slide release, can chew up some serious time in a speed reload with a semi.

The serious pin shooters who I've seen almost always use an extended slide release to increase the reload speed.

I’ve tried the extended slide releases, but didn’t like them. I had a problem with my fat hands putting pressure up on the lever and locking the slide back before the magazine was empty, and found that the extended release did not always lock the slide back on an empty magazine. I used the left thumb release for the slide release and never had a problem hitting it at speed, though I’ve known others that did.
BTW, I also used the standard magazine release button and spring.

V-fib
December 29, 2002, 01:50 AM
I like a revolver for CC. semiauto and rev. equal for targets.

Sisco, Place a small tarp on the ground when using your semiauto. Makes it real easy to pick up the shells.:cool:

Kevinch
December 29, 2002, 09:36 AM
Everyone must be smarter than me, because I don't understand the question at all....:confused:

labgrade
December 29, 2002, 08:38 PM
Don't worry, Kevinch. Neither do most. ;)

Just a "hash it out" type of thread for everybody to feel good about what they carry - in public. It's more of a group hug than anything else.

Back to my own original post, I carry a BHP/9mm because it has "enough" oomph for what I'd ever expect to encounter in an urban environment. Mostly, it's flat, has "enough" perceived - carries very well. I'm skinny & a revolver (my first choice really) appears that I'm attempting to smuggle auto parts.

Since I live in the country & very seldom go city, I can be more of a "sissy." ;) The .308 scoped bolt gun & 12 gauge stashed in the truck are merely a comfort zone-thing & have nothing to do whatsoever with "being prepared."

Brian Williams
December 29, 2002, 08:55 PM
I posted this thread because I like to know what others carry and why, this seemed to be a good way to find some more info in my search for additional pieces for my collection and other ways of shooting.
While I prefer a revo I enjoy shooting an auto when I can.

PaladinX13
December 29, 2002, 09:05 PM
Personally, autos for the triggers.

emann
December 29, 2002, 11:56 PM
They both have there advantages and disadvantages. To each his own. ;)

Kevinch
December 30, 2002, 11:59 AM
Ohhh...I see. This is a carry question!

Well..in that case I guess I have to say auto - or, more accurately, semi-auto cause that is what I carry. :D

Very flat for easy concealment, and more comfortable for me along with additional capacity without additional width - meaning the grip frame can be lengthened a little. Also easier IMO to carry additional mags than speed loaders, moon clips or even speed strips.

But for range work & informal plinking, I think revolvers - especially SA - are more fun.

SouthpawShootr
December 31, 2002, 10:47 PM
Both for me. But semi-auto first.

Scott13
January 6, 2003, 04:14 AM
I'd vote for auto . I think revolvers are probably good for home defense , but for all out combat revolvers are imo too slow. Most of the time they are heavier in weight , and the DA trigger makes speed shooting very difficult. Also magazines can be loaded faster , as opposed to a speed loader . It's probably rare to have
a sitiuation where you would even need an auto in combat , but
if you were being robbed in a store by a few guys with guns , an auto pistol imo would be much more valuable.

sonoranjack
January 6, 2003, 05:23 PM
I'll take a pistol over a revolver any day. In fact I own 0 revolvers. I don't like the long hard DA trigger pull. When I shoot a revolver. My shots are all over the place. When I shoot a pistol. My group is way tighter. So I shoot pistols better than revolvers.

If you enjoyed reading about "Revo or Auto" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!