The Shield

PDA

WarMachine
March 24, 2004, 06:14 PM
Does anyone elso watch this superlative series on FX? I try to catch every episode and each one is great.

One thing that catches my eye everytime is the overall gun handling (especially by the lead character Micheal Chiklis). There always seems to be "indexing" going on and people using the low-ready positions, something that I never really see in other movies, especially tv shows. :D

Also, that king of pistol does Mike carry, is looks to me like a Smith and Wesson 4506.

Anymore Shield nuts out there :evil:

If you enjoyed reading about "The Shield" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Treylis
March 24, 2004, 06:27 PM
I believe I've read that he carries a 1006, or whatever the 10mm S&W auto model number is.

hansolo
March 24, 2004, 06:31 PM
I'm not an LEO, but I get the feeling that this show must have a consultant who is/was. Chiklis' character seems a little more tightly wound than Dirty Harry: you are rooting for him, even though he doesn't "go by the book."
I have watched most/all episodes and wish there were more "real" cops like this guy(and his team). Very good characters and acting, too. And, yes, when on-camera, I focus on the S&W semiauto(kinda like the less-realistic but fun, "Training Day" with Denzel Washington.

sturmruger
March 24, 2004, 06:33 PM
I watch it every single week. Best damn cop show ever!!! It really pissed me off that it is such a short season. I mean what is the deal with only having 10 episodes!!

tc300mag1
March 24, 2004, 06:40 PM
I catch it ever chance i get even the reruns never gets old

admar2
March 24, 2004, 06:48 PM
I love that show, watch it every chance I get.

I'm thinkin its a 1006 Vic carries

Hkmp5sd
March 24, 2004, 06:49 PM
I think the initial storyline for the new season about the 100 "MP5s" being so dangerous that they use their own money to try to get them off the street is pushing it. The scene in which they raid the house with the MP5s, where one BG barricades himself in a room and the strike team holsters their sidearms, picks up the MP5s and full magazines, that happen to be laying around and use them is completely bogus. Trusting your life to a stolen gun you've never test fired and unknown ammunition? A little much.

Parker Dean
March 24, 2004, 07:04 PM
I have watched most/all episodes and wish there were more "real" cops like this guy(and his team).

Careful what you wish for...

spacemanspiff
March 24, 2004, 07:08 PM
actual tears escaped my eyes when they tossed those duffel bags of mp5s into the water.

and when they were held up by the bizlats, why didnt the bizlats take their ar15s? ronnie and lem both had rifles but it didnt look like they took them. and wouldnt those rifles need to be signed out of the armory?

Dr.Rob
March 24, 2004, 07:16 PM
Bought them with thier own money?

They STOLE that money from the Armenian Mob.

It's a great series, challenging storylines but it's about DIRTY cops.

Think about it. Vic and team are you standard grade guys skimming a bit off the drug profits in their city to keep the violence down. Oh, and they killed a fellow dirty cop in cold blood. Oh, and they run roughshod over the constitution daily.

The police recruit who went from being nearly UNABLE to ull the trigger, or testify on behalf of his partner in a clean shoot, gets outed for being gay. Then he find god, goes to church gets married and is now one of the cops using excessive force.

The captain, who we initially thought was just a by the book guy, signs a deal with Vic, without really knowing how dirty Vic is to get into city council.

Dutch, who was sort of your intellectual hero, now uses his powers of interrogation to slam a 16 year old kid for a gang shooting. And now he sort of enjoys it. Last season he would have felt bad.

His partner, who wants Aceveda's job, just got told to 'play ball' with the politicos to get what she wants.

Guns are only PART of the power brokering going on in every episode.

Love the show.

MinScout
March 24, 2004, 07:53 PM
I've just started watching it. Looks good!

cool45auto
March 24, 2004, 08:12 PM
Did you guys see it last night when Vic put his gun in the hooker's mouth!:eek: At least he had his finger off the trigger.:rolleyes:

tetleyb
March 24, 2004, 09:03 PM
As a police officer, I can't stand this show. It paints all of us as corrupt law enforcement officers, when that cannot be further from the truth. I wish it would be pulled off the air waves.

Chuck Jennings
March 24, 2004, 09:30 PM
actual tears escaped my eyes when they tossed those duffel bags of mp5s into the water.

I'm glad to hear I wasn't the only one!

Braz
March 24, 2004, 10:03 PM
Aww,

I don't think it paints all cops as corrupt. The rookie Vic shot was working with the Captain to sting Vic's crew. Of course, both were using the investigation as a career stepping stone. ;)

Best scene was the 1st season when Vic extracts the whereabouts of a kidnapped kid when others couldn't. Later he feeds junkies and worries about their kids. Like life, no one is portrayed as black and white. I ;like it a lot.

JimJD
March 24, 2004, 10:14 PM
Great show!
I catch it every week. Thank God most LEO's are not like that in real life.

Yeah, but Mackey did instruct one of the strike team members to "put aside a few" for "the future" or some other.

The scene in which they raid the house with the MP5s, where one BG barricades himself in a room and the strike team holsters their sidearms, picks up the MP5s and full magazines, that happen to be laying around and use them is completely bogus. Trusting your life to a stolen gun you've never test fired and unknown ammunition? A little much.

But...But... the guns were from the Army. They just HAVE to be good, right?
:D

I'm wondering, did S&W stop producing the handgun that Mackey uses?
Could'nt find it on the website. Maybe I just missed it? :confused:

RRTX
March 24, 2004, 10:33 PM
Love the show. For whoever said they wish there were more cops like that.....there already were and that's where the basis for the show came from. A few years back there was an gang task force called CRASH in LA's Rampart division (same division used in the show if I'm not mistaken) that was involved in a lot of bad bad things. Here is a link with some info about it.LINK (http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/lapd/etc/boyer.html)

slh02
March 24, 2004, 10:33 PM
The Shield is my absolute favorite show on television. Guess I can't verify it, but every fan site I have been to has labeled Vic's gun as a 4506. Shane's (Vics partner) uses a Beretta Cougar as his primary weapon.

Also, I dont think any LEO needs to worry about the image the show paints. We all know here that it is entertainment, and its definitely not the first show to paint police officers in a negative light...

brookstexas
March 24, 2004, 10:43 PM
Farmington District/ The Shield is based on the out of control scandals at the Rampart station a few years ago in LA...
BT

Billmanweh
March 25, 2004, 02:03 AM
that show kicks so much ass...

Fed168
March 25, 2004, 07:35 AM
JimJD- they stopped producing it a couple years ago. They will tool up for a new one, though, provided you order 40 guns or so.

Bruce H
March 25, 2004, 09:07 AM
Watched the first episode just to see how they would play it. When they murder the cop I never watched another episode. Just like politics, there are some things that seem to be condoned because that is the way the game is played. That foolishness isn't in the rules and more are broken every day.

Ky Larry
March 25, 2004, 09:30 AM
Saying The Shield make all cops look corrupt makes as much sense as saying the Naked Gun movies,the Police Academy movies, and the Hammer tv show make all cops look like bumbling idiots.Get a grip. It's just make believe. Also, cops are not sacred cows. They are not above being shown in a less than flattering light. Not all cops are straight arrows. Most, but not all, are honest, decent public servants. The Shield shows the ones who aren't.

12-34hom
March 25, 2004, 09:57 AM
It fulfills alot of preconceived notions of what police are and what there daily activities entail to many who are loyal watchers.

Personally, i can't stand it - but it brings in ratings for Fox and that's what matters.

As far as it's story lines based on some of LAPD activities, That would have to be proven to me before i take the bait on that statement.

Dr. Rob makes some excellent points, sad that stuff like this sells and the portrayal of most police could be so far from reality - yet have a fan base that it does.

12-34hom.

c_yeager
March 25, 2004, 11:04 AM
As far as it's story lines based on some of LAPD activities, That would have to be proven to me before i take the bait on that statement.

While i believe its safe to assume that the VAST majority of cops are really great guys. I think its ALSO safe to assume that SOMEONE SOMEWHERE in law enforcement was even worse than Vic.

Even in the show its pretty much ONLY that one group of cops that are dirty. It sure looks like the vast majority of the police that appear on the show are standup people (the two detectives in particular, and the female uniformed officer).

grnzbra
March 25, 2004, 11:17 AM
About them using the low ready. I was under the impression the the low ready was a square range type of thing because a negligent discharge would go safely into the ground rather than with a high ready which would result in a bullet going over the backstop. But in an apartment building, there is no safe direction for a negligent discharge. High ready goes into the upstairs appartment while low read goes into the downstairs apartment. However, with the low ready in the apartment, you are more likely to have some kind of ND because you are carrying the gun at the level of the furniniture.

Unlucky
March 25, 2004, 12:13 PM

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/lapd/scandal/

Assuming you're a cop, your comment sounds like willfull ignorance, as a quick search will dig up all sorts of things about LAPD Rampart Division.

keyhole
March 25, 2004, 12:22 PM
Hey, it's just a show. And also take note, the uniformed officers have their badges on the opposite side that real officers wear.

fourdeuce82d
March 25, 2004, 01:04 PM
"... the low ready was a square range type of thing because a negligent discharge would go safely into the ground rather than with a high ready which would result in a bullet going over the backstop. But in an apartment building, there is no safe direction for a negligent discharge. ..with the low ready in the apartment, you are more likely to have some kind of ND because you are carrying the gun at the level of the furniniture."

Couple of thoughts, which are probably worth what you paid for them!

I think the idea behind low ready, particularly in an apartment/indoor situation, is to

a) keep the gun below your line of sight

b) reduce the opportunity for a goblin to attempt a grab

c) follow rule 2 (i.e. you don't want to come around a corner, and find your self pointing your weapon at a resident's face before you decide to shoot them.)

d) prevent an ND from going into your face- Farnham mentioned an incident were an LEO apparently did exactly that by using a "Miami Vice" high ready

e) keep your weapon from sweeping the more important parts of your fellow officers.

I think a lot of places are teaching a "compressed" low ready, wherein the muzzle is pointed down, but the weapon is held closer to the chest.

Your point about "no safe direction" indoors is a good one, and worth remembering when you are manupulating your firearm indoors, for whatever reason.

Not a bad idea to perform the manuplation in the bathroom, muzzle pointed into the commode. There have been at least two instances of an LEO having an ND, and killing someone in the motel next door/in the floor below.

grnzbra
March 25, 2004, 01:53 PM
Thanks for the clarification.

Hkmp5sd
March 25, 2004, 03:17 PM
They STOLE that money from the Armenian Mob.
Well, once you steal something, isn't it considered "yours"? :)

shooter58
March 25, 2004, 04:38 PM
As a former Los Angeles police officer, I find the show to be degrading and insulting. If we had done half the things these idiots do, we would have been arrested, charged and sent to jail, not to mention fired. There is never a substitute for good solid police work.

Unlucky
March 25, 2004, 05:45 PM
If we had done half the things these idiots do, we would have been arrested, charged and sent to jail, not to mention fired.

Like the Rampart officers?

12-34hom
March 25, 2004, 07:24 PM
Unlucky, in the link you provided, just where does it say or mention that "The Shield"storylines are gleaned from any activities that LAPD Rampart division were held accountable for?

12-34hom.

Texasbagman
March 25, 2004, 07:38 PM
I have watched most/all episodes and wish there were more "real" cops like this guy(and his team).

PLEASE tell me you are joking???

These guys are scum! murders! thieves! And you want more cops to be like that?

No way.

The best way this show could end is with Vic and his whole crew getting smoked in a drug deal gone bad and the real cops pissing on their graves in the last scene.

tommytrauma
March 25, 2004, 08:16 PM

Just how much attention were you paying when you watched most/all episodes? You really wish we had more dirty, corrupt cops?

The series is supurb. I'm considering buying a smith autoloader and shaving my head. :D

FedDC
March 25, 2004, 09:23 PM
A-Men to that, Vic is a good guy in a horrid place doing what he can to make the city safer and provide for his family. I couldn't care less if he takes some thugs dope money.

CWatson
March 25, 2004, 10:19 PM
FedDC,

"Vic" killed a undercover cop in the second episode,not a dirty cop a undercover cop because Vic knew they guy was going to take him down.It is my favorite show on TV but I am under no illusion on what type of cops the actors are portaying,Vic is not a good guy.

As far as the Rampart compairison Micheal Chiklis (who plays Vic) made the compairison himself while being interviewed during the first year of the series.

CW

tetleyb
March 25, 2004, 10:47 PM
Assuming you're a cop, your comment sounds like willfull ignorance, as a quick search will dig up all sorts of things about LAPD Rampart Division.

Uh huh. And does your research show every officer in the "scandal" which was investigated was cleared, except one, and that was for a very minor thing? Of course not...

That isn't news worthy. Or is that willful ignorance?

Unlucky
March 25, 2004, 10:51 PM
Unlucky, in the link you provided, just where does it say or mention that "The Shield"storylines are gleaned from any activities that LAPD Rampart division were held accountable for?

Just because they aren't word for word, episode for episode, true to what happened at Rampart means little. There are plenty of crimes committed by LEOs to use for material.

Where I live, 3 officers gang-raped a woman and the DA found it compelling enough to bring charges. Another officer helped his wife commit murder. Another officer was taking bribes and dealing drugs. Another officer molested his niece. Two other officers conspired to commit theft, caught on their in-car recorder. None of this would make it onto "The Shield,"(except the bribes and drug dealing) but I think it drives home the point that LEOs DO commit crimes and some of these are good material.

Uh huh. And does your research show every officer in the "scandal" which was investigated was cleared, except one, and that was for a very minor thing? Of course not...That isn't news worthy. Or is that willful ignorance?

Whitewash? It would look quite bad for LAPD to find so much corruption, so hanging one out to dry makes a great deal of sense.

http://da.co.la.ca.us/mr/021803a.htm

BTW, The DA's office seems to be contradicting what you've said, speaking of ignorance.

Why don't you stick to threatening Gabe Suarez?

DDGator
March 25, 2004, 11:25 PM
I love the show too.

I guess cops aren't used to being portrayed in a poor light on TV.

You think The Shield is bad for your image -- try being a lawyer -- they get ripped on every show and every movie. Nothing is better for a cheap laugh than a joke about killing lawyers.

You get used to it.

huntsman
March 26, 2004, 12:27 AM
love it or hate it. at least it's not "the Commish" :D :D :D

Chuck Jennings
March 26, 2004, 04:06 AM
Sure, It shows a lot of corruption in a FICTIONAL police force. However, it also shows a lot of the damage that being corrupt can do to you. They are setting up most, if not all of the characters to take some big falls brought on by their shortcomings, I don't think that they are trying to glamorize corruption or stick it to the cops. It is a FICTIONAL character driven drama using a corrupt precinct as the backdrop.

I haven't seen any clear agenda in the producing of the show, except to hook people into watching. It's just a show. Not propaganda.

BluesBear
March 26, 2004, 06:23 AM
If we had done half the things these idiots do, we would have been arrested, charged and sent to jail, not to mention fired. And if any real officers shot as many people as Reid and Malloy did on Adam-12 they would be under intense Psyc examination and riding a rubber desk.

SPOILER BELOW

It's a bleeding Television Program. IT AIN'T REAL!
I mean, it's not like it's Blind Date or 5th Wheel.
It's FICTION.

The Shield is only a TV show for Pete's sake. And a damn fine one at that. But it's an entertainment show not a documentary. It's not like Barfing Over Columbine, it's not disguising itself as real.

It's doesn't portray cops as any more corrupt than the movie Serpico. There were many movies made showing the corruption of NYPD back in the 60s and 70s.

Are there any corrupt cops left? Hell Yes!
I have known some, worked with some, kept my mouth shut about some and yes even testified against some. Some were even worse than Vic. They sickened me. But I have never known a 100% bad cop. All of them, no matter how contemptable they were, did at least some good police work.

Vic and his team on The Shield are supposed to pull at your emotions. They are basically good guys who wandered astray and have now nearly lost sight of the right path. You are supposed to both despise and sympathize with them. That's how they keep the viewers hooked. It's the same recipe that soap opras have been using for years.

If TV shows can be full of soft-hearted hookers, comical pimps and sympathetic drug dealers, why not loveable bad cops?

I mean it's not like South Park where they really DO kill Kenny very week.

pssssst keep this a secret. Professional wrestling ain't real either.
I know this from experience. I used to be a referee. Oh the shame of it all.

c_yeager
March 26, 2004, 07:17 AM
If cop TV shows did nothing but portray the TRUE day to day activities of the average-joe cop how much fun would it really be to watch.

Yep that would sell.

tommytrauma
March 26, 2004, 01:12 PM
BluesBear;

pssssst keep this a secret. Professional wrestling ain't real either.
I know this from experience. I used to be a referee. Oh the shame of it all.

Really? No S**t?

BluesBear
March 26, 2004, 03:25 PM
<sigh> yes really.

V-fib
March 27, 2004, 02:02 AM
I really like The Shield, and as been said it’s just a TV show. It’s fictional entertainment.

QUOTE]Personally, i can't stand it - but it brings in ratings for Fox and that's what matters.[/QUOTE]

If you want to watch it check it out on FX, its not on FOX

QUOTE]If cop TV shows did nothing but portray the TRUE day to day activities of the average-joe cop how much fun would it really be to watch.[/QUOTE]

Ever hear of COPS. (bad boys bad boys whatcha gonna do?) How many years has that been on? Personally I like RENO 911 as my “reality” police show.
:cool:

c_yeager
March 27, 2004, 04:14 AM
If you want to watch it check it out on FX, its not on FOX

FX is a cable network owned by FOX. The money all goes to the same place.

CAPTAIN MIKE
March 28, 2004, 11:43 AM
Would it be too much to ask if the uniformed LEOs on the show could WEAR THEIR BADGE ON THE CORRECT (LEFT) SIDE???

Hkmp5sd
March 28, 2004, 12:37 PM
WEAR THEIR BADGE ON THE CORRECT (LEFT) SIDE???

They can't. LAPD trademarked their uniforms and since LAPD won't "endorse" the show, they have to alter them slightly.

riddleofsteel
March 28, 2004, 09:44 PM
While a I watch The Shield every week I see it not as much a reality cop show but a character study.

Vic is a typical guy in a posistion of power that is willing to do anything, run over anyone ect. to get what he wants. He is a strong character but has several critical flaws. Just when you think he is stone cold and ruthless he puts his entire team on the line to pull a bunch of guns off of the street. Then he bends over backwards for a hooker and her kid he feels pity for.

While he plays the tiger on the street his life at home is a shambles and he is the classic weak, insecure male. Seperated from kids he REALLY loves, one of which is autistic, he struggles with affairs with co-workers and those he meets on the job. All this to try and recover a little bit of closeness and affection his own ruined relationship can not provide. He tries to hold his team together while thier own character flaws threaten to topple the whole house of cards.

I have described The Shield to co-workers as NYPD on crack. Guns, good guys, bad guys, rock music score. I can't wait until next week!!!!!!!!!!

If you enjoyed reading about "The Shield" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!