Desert Eagle for HD

PDA

el Godfather
September 27, 2013, 03:32 AM
Dear THR:
How many of you use Desert Eagle as a primary HD handgun? If so in what caliber and barrel length.

Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Desert Eagle for HD" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
bluekouki86
September 27, 2013, 04:35 AM
Not jumping in to bash your idea, but the Desert Eagles I've handled and shot are clunky and VERY heavy.

I personally think a 1911/M&P/Glock/XD (pick your flavor) make much better defensive weapons for several reasons.
1. Lighter weight
2. Better ergos and controls
3. Better flexibility for attachments (lights, lasers, aftermarket nightsights)

Just my .02

smalls
September 27, 2013, 06:35 AM
It's been a few years since I've shot a DE (in 50 AE), but I remember lots of muzzle flash... Not good for HD.

hentown
September 27, 2013, 07:31 AM
How many of you use Desert Eagle as a primary HD handgun?

I'm guessing two or three. Anybody else got a better guess? :rolleyes:

bannockburn
September 27, 2013, 07:55 AM
Great range toy but not exactly one of my Top Ten choices for HD.

19-3Ben
September 27, 2013, 08:15 AM
It would be FAR from an optimal HD gun. Huge, and heavy, but you get low capacity with it.
.44mag and .50AE are kinda overkill for HD (unless you happen to live in a bear cave), and the DE won't cycle .44spl.

That leaves the .357mag version. .357 flash and noise indoors is rough, but a lot of people pick it anyway. You get a 9 round magazine in .357mag in the Desert Eagle. I'd rather sacrifice a round, and go with a S&W 627 or comparable 8 round .357 N-frame. You sacrifice one round, but you get a gun that is infinitely more practical, and is also more reliable.

If you REALLY REALLY wanted a .357mag autolaoder for HD, I'd think a Coonan 1911 would probably be a more practical choice, at least for me.

BP Hunter
September 27, 2013, 11:54 AM
Home Defense against a human threat or Godzilla?!

Honestly, how's that going to look like in court when you use that against a human threat? It'll look at him like the person behind the gun had an intention to "kill" and not "stop the threat".

OARNGESI
September 27, 2013, 12:35 PM
they are great for defense from unbrella co.

LebbenB
September 27, 2013, 01:05 PM
Only if your name is Alice...or Milla.

Quick Shot xMLx
September 27, 2013, 01:32 PM
I have a Desert Eagle on my nightstand....except its the 1911 one;)

Sol
September 27, 2013, 03:12 PM
I heard that they are the best HD weapons...only if they were the golden tigerstripe ones.

silicosys4
September 27, 2013, 03:50 PM
Naw, the .50 DE is for when I leave the perimeter, and I pocket carry it. When I'm inside the perimeter, I call in a precision artillery strike and then hit the rug.

readyeddy
September 27, 2013, 03:54 PM
I own the older model in 44, but it's too big and heavy for me to use in self defense. Maybe if I were stronger with bigger hands it would be a good choice. It would definitely make a formidable contact weapon.

tommy.duncan
September 27, 2013, 05:25 PM
I remember going shooting with a co-worker and he brought his DE in 44mag. It was heavy and loud. The size and weight would make it hard to wield it in SD/HD situations. The muzzle blast was like an old Vietnam era flame thrower, not so good for your night vision in case you need follow up shots. Good luck with that, and remember to add extra support beams to your nightstand!!

el Godfather
September 27, 2013, 05:33 PM
DE used in HD wont be a problem in court. You use lethal force when your life is threatened. Otherwise we would be carrying .22 shorts.

beatledog7
September 27, 2013, 06:37 PM
I can imagine a Baby Desert Eagle for HD--in fact, I can point to one.

Henryfan1
September 27, 2013, 07:06 PM
If your set on a Deagle for HD then get one in 357 magnum. The 44 and 50 offerings have too much potential for over-penetration in my opinion.

Flashcube
September 27, 2013, 08:46 PM
I have one of the older aluminium framed .357s and don't think it's clunky at all. Pretty well balanced actually. I've been considering it for winter carry in a good shoulder rig. :evil:

Rangemaster
September 27, 2013, 09:00 PM
I have a 50ae one and carry it when I head into bear country for a atv or camping trip.
I usually use a drop leg holster because of the weight and it makes it much easier to ride a atv. I reload all my rounds, but prefer a 1911 for my range gun and carry gun.

Morgo
September 27, 2013, 09:54 PM
Should work well, just fire one shot indoors and you will all be on the ground covering your ears and eyes :)

Magnuumpwr
September 27, 2013, 10:12 PM
Not saying it's not a good choice for you, but I can think of several better choices for myself. But if it was my only choice, 357 is what I would choose. Lighter recoil and easier follow up shots (if needed) or a lot more to empty.

Ohen Cepel
September 27, 2013, 10:14 PM
I have one, not for HD though.

Bizarre thing though is that I got it from a guy who bought a PAIR of them for him and his wife to use for HD. He was a novice and for some reason thought it was a good idea.

smalls
September 27, 2013, 10:59 PM
Bizarre thing though is that I got it from a guy who bought a PAIR of them for him and his wife to use for HD. He was a novice and for some reason thought it was a good idea.

There's one born every minute.

I can imagine the salesmen at his LGS are still laughing about that one today.

Ohen Cepel
September 28, 2013, 07:21 AM
Yep, and they got a pair of .44's, didn't even go with the wimpy .357.

The .50 wasn't out then or I'm sure they would have gone with that.

greenlion
September 28, 2013, 08:56 AM
Desert Eagles are for people who like big shiny things they have seen in movies, not home defense.

tcj
September 28, 2013, 09:03 AM
I own a DE 44 and it is a great range toy...would not want to try a follow-up shot or one-handed shot in a HD defense situation.

Try one at an indoor range and then image the flash and bang that you're going to experience in your home.

Of all of my forearms, my preference in HD (for a handgun) is my Glock 17...I can easily shoot it with either hand, fast follow-up shots and 17+1 rounds.

MikeJackmin
September 28, 2013, 09:34 AM
If over-penetration is not an issue, and if you shoot it well and it gives you confidence, then why not?

My HD gun is a Mossberg 590 stuffed with 12 gauge slugs. How is a DE overpowered, heavy, low-capacity, or clumsy in comparison?

C0untZer0
September 28, 2013, 09:41 AM
I never understood why they don't have it chambered in 10mm.

If they had it 10mm I might actually buy one...

C0untZer0
September 28, 2013, 09:45 AM
My HD gun is a Mossberg 590 stuffed with 12 gauge slugs. How is a DE overpowered, heavy, low-capacity, or clumsy in comparison?

I agree with most of this - especially when some people say they have a slug first up in their HDSG.

But the issue of being heavy and clumsy is apples to oranges since the SG is a long arm.

KYamateur
September 29, 2013, 12:47 AM
If you are going to use a Desert Eagle, why not just go ahead and use a Marlin 45-70 loaded with some 430gr Buffalo Bore shells. That way you will be safe just in case a rhino or cape buffalo gets loose from a local zoo and storms through your home.

Havok7416
September 29, 2013, 04:13 AM
I own a .44 Desert Eagle and I can't imagine why anyone would consider one for HD. There are many other more practical weapons out there that can be used in that capacity. Additionally, shooting one indoors with hearing protection on is no picnic - shooting it in your home with no hearing protection on (and quite possibly at night) sounds like a recipe for going blind and deaf.

dogmush
September 29, 2013, 08:30 AM
I've got one in .50AE. It's a well built, accurate firearm. I really enjoy shooting it. If I still did much ATV camping or hunting in Griz country I'd use it as a bear handgun (or a big revolver, gotta have choices :) ) It probably isn't the LAST choice of pistols I own for HD but it's pretty far down the list.

The set of design compromises made in the DE are almost the exact opposite of the ones you'd want made for a home defense handgun.

Garmangabis
September 29, 2013, 10:13 AM
On the bright side, carrying a handgun that weighs as much as a MAC-10 for a month or so will make carrying a full size .45 feel like a paper clip.

Mat, not doormat
September 30, 2013, 10:43 AM
Why don't you just use your Korth? Seems like that would be a much higher quality weapon, and really, do you want to use second best when your life is at stake?

allaroundhunter
September 30, 2013, 02:33 PM
I don't, but this guy does... And he used it (.50AE).

Everything is bigger in Texas.

http://www.click2houston.com/news/Bellaire-man-grabs-gun-helps-make-arrest/-/1735978/8778752/-/2oqonaz/-/index.html

If you enjoyed reading about "Desert Eagle for HD" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!