Cant type for small-compact semi-auto pistols

PDA

Climb14er
March 24, 2004, 06:45 PM
I'd like some information re: OWB vs. IWB holsters, especially for small to compact semi-autos like a Sig P239 and a Kahr PM9. I've only worn IWB VM-2's and HR-LTD's from Milt Sparks but something is telling me to take a serious look at Kydex and leather holsters, like the Milt Sparks 55BN for OWB.

If you have any other suggestions based on experience feel free to share. I like IWB a lot but sometimes I want a bit more 'room' that OWB affords.

Here's a question re: cant on an OWB holster for a small-compact semi-auto pistol:

1) Straight Up Cant

2) FBI Cant

If you enjoyed reading about "Cant type for small-compact semi-auto pistols" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
tc300mag1
March 24, 2004, 06:52 PM
I liek to carry in the Fbi cant my self

sm
March 24, 2004, 06:55 PM
Prefer IWB with FBI Cant.
If using a OWB I still want the Cant and "high and tight".

nonquixote
March 24, 2004, 07:05 PM
Of the two I'd prefer the FBI cant, but when I can get exactly what I want, i.e. custom holster, my preferred cant is 10 degrees.

Nonq

miko912
March 24, 2004, 07:25 PM
OWB strongside I like the FBI cant, high and tight like mentioned above. But, I prefer to carry small compact autos IWB, no cant, at about the 1:00 position in front of my right hip......on me it just dissappears.

Bill
miko912

cratz2
March 24, 2004, 07:38 PM
I carry 1911, Glock, SIG IWB with a cant at about 4:00...

My Kahr was carried at either about 1:00 or 4:00 in one of two High Noon straight drop holsters. As silly as it sounds, my last two cars have had such well-bolstered seats that a large gun at 4:00 pretty much must be taken off to drive much more than a few blocks... Even the Kahr was pretty uncomfortable at that position. I'd usually put it on at 1:00 in the morning and if I was going to be somewhere out of the car for a significant amount of time, I'd then move it to 4:00 which is where I've always trained.

With the smaller guns, it doesn't make as much difference to me. I guess I'd either prefer a straight drop at 1:00 or a slight cant at 4:00.

PCRCCW
March 25, 2004, 08:04 AM
95% of the holsters out there are either Vertical or FBI and no other choices. I LIKE 10-12 degrees at 3.30-4.00 personally....but Im spoiled. I know somebody who knows somebody who does leather work :D

For your choice......Id go FBI. 2 reasons. It will make it more confortable to carry..the grip will match (for the most part) your arms natural draw stroke and this aids in a smoother more consistant draw.

And it tucks the grip up into your side.....still comfy and conceals like you NEED it too.

Shoot well.

Red_SC
March 25, 2004, 10:22 AM
Don't worry, I cant tipe that gud ether.

denfoote
March 25, 2004, 03:29 PM
I prefer the FBI cant because I can position the holster so it does not put pressure on my arthritic hips!!! :)

Omaha-BeenGlockin
March 25, 2004, 03:58 PM
I CANT---I CANT------decide.

If you enjoyed reading about "Cant type for small-compact semi-auto pistols" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!