What you see when no gun !

PDA

788Ham
September 28, 2013, 12:58 AM
This afternoon, I was coming home from my Mom's place, about 46 degrees, drizzly rain, some low hanging fog, really nice day. If any of you are familiar with the old Rocky Flats Nuclear Plant, just East of Boulder, wide open country, some nice deer hang out there year round. Anyway, just cruisin' home, I'm about 1/8 mile from the old entrance, look to the West, there stood about 25 to 30 cow elk, just grazing along, eyeballing the scenery. Evidently, with the flooding the past 2 weeks, road repairs under way, might have been spooked down. Traffic was too hectic to try and pull over for a better look..... and no license !

If you enjoyed reading about "What you see when no gun !" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jimmyraythomason
September 28, 2013, 05:51 PM
about 46 degrees, drizzly rain, some low hanging fog, really nice day.....and here I am suffering through sunny skies,78 degrees and a slight breeze. No worries,I'll tough it out.

tightgroup tiger
September 28, 2013, 05:53 PM
Isn't that always the way? I would be happy just seeing them, I love seeing wildlife on the way home from work as long as they are standing on the road in front of me. Hitting a cow elk in with a car? , that would leave a mark.

September 29, 2013, 10:54 PM
I can't remember how many deer I've seen crossing the road before and after hunting hours during my deer hunts.I cracked a headlight on one once.I've slid to a stop a few times.Once it was a herd of twenty.Of course, I didn't see any in the woods that day.

brainwake
September 30, 2013, 03:37 PM
I see deer right smack dab in the middle of OKC every morning. There is a field next to the water plant north of Hefner Lake where a herd of deer live. They hang out and graze right in front of 8 AM rush hour. I never see any bucks, but the does are multiplying somehow.

Arkansas Paul
September 30, 2013, 04:46 PM
I met my wife at my parents' house and we left from there to go to Memphis this past weekend. She was supposed to get the 9mm off the nightstand and bring it with us. She forgot. I saw a lot of things in the Memphis ghetto that made me wish I had it. Oh wait.........that's not what you were talking about.

Mat, not doormat
October 3, 2013, 01:37 AM
Yeah. Or when you're out after something else. I had a good day squirrel watching, this morning, while I sat there waiting for a deer.

Bobson
October 3, 2013, 04:46 AM
I was visiting my brother-in-law in Boerne, Texas a few months back. It wasn't during the season, I didn't have a weapon, and it was around midnight - but my high beams flashed across the biggest buck I've ever seen anywhere. This monster made trophy bucks I've seen on TV and in magazines look like pipsqueaks. I had to stop the car and back up to get the headlights back on him, and there he was, just staring at me like I was his brother. I think that's what the deer look like in heaven.

When I told my BIL about it the next day, I could tell he thought I was blowing it out of proportion. I wasn't. I've seen mature elk with smaller racks than that buck.

tahoe2
October 5, 2013, 12:37 PM
The biggest Blacktail deer I have ever seen was on the local Golf Course drinking from a pond less than 25 yards from the road. :what:
But alas it's illegal to hunt within city limits. :rolleyes:

Double_J
October 5, 2013, 12:53 PM
Let me see, there was the night I going into work and passed 4 BIG hogs, or the night that we had 5-6 nice size does and a couple of small bucks run inside the fence and get lost. Or the afternoon when I saw a beautiful trophy buck walk right to the edge of the road by the house. He was inside the city limits and knew he was safe, and he was only a step from the thickest growth of underbrush I have ever seen in my life.

Russian Hammer
October 5, 2013, 04:25 PM
At one camp I used to hunt back when I lived in PA I would consistently see at least one monster buck the night before opening day while spotting, and find no evidence he ever existed when hunting the next day. This was in an area known for the small deer population due to all the local farmers shooting deer year round, so I find it strange these bucks even lived to get that large.

Another experience is a friend of mine who came back to camp one night having spotted the biggest buck of his life, and when we went back the next day to check out the area where he saw it his directions took us straight to the elk farm down the road.

jmorris
October 5, 2013, 06:48 PM
Water, I'm generally in a shower or pool.

Hondo 60
October 6, 2013, 09:23 AM
Yup, that's the way it always happens.

Two years ago I had a doe running along side my car on a back country 2 lane road.
She must have run a good 1/2 mile next to me.

I just KNEW she was gonna dart in front of me.
So I hit the brakes & sure enough - she did.
Luckily for both of us I missed her.

If you enjoyed reading about "What you see when no gun !" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!