What do you think is the worst guntrope in media?

PDA

Cryogaijin
September 28, 2013, 05:43 AM
Specifically: Shooting someone off the roof of the car you're driving. Not only would you not hit a thing, but you'd also go quite deaf from firing a gun in an enclosed space.

In general: Not taking into account how loud guns are, especially with firing from inside a vehicle or indoors. There should be MANY more burst eardrums.

If you enjoyed reading about "What do you think is the worst guntrope in media?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Carl N. Brown
September 28, 2013, 06:14 AM
Some people gave thumbs up to "Walking Dead" over the scene where Rick Grimes shoots a zombie soldier with a .357 Python inside a tank and becomes disoriented and deafened by the blast in an enclosed space. But yes, most TV shows have loud guns fired in tight spaces with no consequences to unprotected ears.

Really bad media gun tropes are AKs or ARs with thirty round magazines being fired six hundred rounds for a full minute (hey, the tech spex read cyclic rate: 600 rpm).

BigBore44
September 28, 2013, 07:01 AM
Carl,
When that scene happened I actually looked at my girlfriend and commented about how someone finally did it right.

I think the one that gets my goat the most is headshots. Seeing an actor shoot someone at 25-50 yards one handed on a quick draw. Give me a break.

USAF_Vet
September 28, 2013, 07:16 AM
In a later season of the Walking Dead, Rick fired his Python out the window of a car. He had everyone protect their ears before blasting the walker. That show gets a lot if the firearms stuff right.

However, same show, different episode (spoiler alert for season 3) the Governor scores a head shot with an AUG, then fails to hit anything else during the gun fight.

Numerous TV shows and movies are notorious for the sound of a safety being clicked off on a Glock. I saw/heard the sound of a cocking revolver as a guy drew a 1911.

The infinite ammo in movie AKs and M16s on full auto gets old.

On of my favorite gun scenes in the Expendables when Terry Crews blasts his AA12 on full auto for over 60 rounds with a 20 round drum. He did at least reload after.

Louca
September 28, 2013, 10:57 AM
Shooting someone off the roof of the car you're driving. Not only would you not hit a thing, but you'd also go quite deaf from firing a gun in an enclosed space.

Yes, that always frustrates me. Quite a while ago, on an old series called Miami Vice, there was one scene (and only one in the history of the show that I know of) where a guy put on ear plugs before he shot some kind of 7.62 x 51 semi-auto from the back seat of a car.

I find that as I see more accurate portrayal of firearms in movies and TV, I get more interested in the movie. Unfortunately, most often they get it wrong. And it's sad; they could get it right without it costing anything. I think one thing that leads to them shooting too many rounds without reloading is editing. You have to have a well choreographed scene and an almost continuous shot (one without any editing breaks) to avoid that.

Another thing that bugs me is no recoil. Oh yeah, they are big with a hugh flash coming out of the barrel, but there is no recoil - NONE. Just once I would like to see real recoil. No more Dirty Harry shooting around the corner with his .44 mag.

Lou

gspn
September 28, 2013, 11:14 AM
Jack Bower in the TV show "24" can shoot anyone...anywhere...at any distance...with a pistol.

Mel Gibson proned out and rolling across the floor shooting people with his pistol in one of the Lethal Weapon series.

Lots and lots and lots of people cocking their guns when they shouldn't be (ie its already cocked or it's a revolver).

Deus Machina
September 28, 2013, 11:23 AM
The worst? That they can find a gun in any state, and look up who it's registered to.
As far as function goes, it's taking into account how loud they are or the whole 'shot person flies through the window' thing.

230RN
September 28, 2013, 11:35 AM
That recoil thing bothers me, too. There was one scene in a western where Gene Hackman has his eyeball right up to the scope of a heavy Buffalo Rifle (.45-70? 45-90?).

A sure route to a black eye.

Or no eye.

Wish I could remember the movie, though.

Well, it was a really crappy one anyhow.

Terry, 230RN

Madcap_Magician
September 28, 2013, 12:57 PM
However, same show, different episode (spoiler alert for season 3) the Governor scores a head shot with an AUG, then fails to hit anything else during the gun fight.

Same show, different episode. The governor shoots a running National Guardsman in the back from about 100 yards with an AR... with no sights.

barnbwt
September 28, 2013, 12:59 PM
-Knockback from bullet strike (shotgun and 50BMG are always the worst)
-Endless magazines (forgivable if for scene pacing and not totally ridiculous)
-Hip firing recoilless full auto presented as effective in combat
-The gun that's too deadly to be allowed on the streets
-The gun so deadly its existence is disavowed by authorities :rolleyes:

And I forgot the worst of all; Guns Are Worthless (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GunsAreWorthless) in combat

TCB

jerkface11
September 28, 2013, 01:00 PM
The gene Hackman movie was " the hunting party"

AlexanderA
September 28, 2013, 01:22 PM
These are dramas. You have to suspend disbelief.

What bug me are old Westerns where everybody has Colt Single Action Armies in the 1850's (which, BTW, they never reload). Or the ubiquitous yellow bandanas on the cavalry. Or the fort built at the bottom of a hill so that the Indians could sweep the entire interior with gunfire.

These things didn't happen in real life.

To give Hollywood its due, more recent movies are getting better in their historical and technical details.

klcmschlesinger
September 28, 2013, 01:31 PM
The movie, The Town, with Ben Affleck. There is a shootout scene in a parking garage area connected to Fenway Park. A disoriented young man (from I guess it was percussion grenades) stands up in the open and is killed with a single shot to the head from a SWAT officer with an AR. Just as the shot killed the young man, the camera shows the officer pulling back on his charging handle to reload the next round..... Must have been one of those single shot AR's??

Double_J
September 28, 2013, 01:39 PM
I love watching The Expendables just for the crazy gunfight scenes, and the Lethal Weapon movies for the same reason. I have to laugh when I see some of the guys shoot, they never seem to miss anyone, unless there is a hostage situation. Then they just do what the bad guy wants, good way to loose your life and the hostage.

denton
September 28, 2013, 01:48 PM
Suppressed revolvers. For that matter, suppressed rifles that just go PFFFT.

Doofusses holding handguns sideways.

The assumption that all guns have to be registered and the owner permitted.

One episode of CSI where the 22 caliber bullet in the victim was slightly out of round, leading to the instant conclusion that it was fired from a 22 that had been squeezed in a vise in order to cut off the barrel.

Another episode of CSI where cheap imported ammunition went off from being dropped on the floor. It was the black powder that had been mixed in the load that caused it. Yeah. Machine gun ammo, too.

Sol
September 28, 2013, 02:10 PM
CSI is a terrible show when it comes to any technical accuracy. They can get a print off a loofah sponge, their computers are holograms and all the criminals drive Mercedes Benz, Ferraris and lamborghinis. The red head guy from CSI Miami is also a sniper with a pistol.

Mat, not doormat
September 28, 2013, 02:17 PM
What about all the action stars trying to act while shooting? Making faces, grimacing, screaming, etc. I've seen a lot of people shooting, and the facial expression is nearly always blank faced concentration.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

Mat, not doormat
September 28, 2013, 02:27 PM
Another is the "hero weapon." This has become a little less common of late, but the hero who uses his "signature weapon," something odd, exotic, and rare, in hopes of making him memorable.

That's why I thought Mitch Rapp, with his preferred Glock 19 was a breath of fresh air.

GBExpat
September 28, 2013, 04:59 PM
In a later season of the Walking Dead, Rick fired his Python out the window of a car. He had everyone protect their ears before blasting the walker.

When the captured zombies came out of the barn, we discovered that the missing little girl was among them.

After the gunfire, she was the last surviving zombie, slowly approaching the deputy sheriff character.

Standing in the dirt in front of the barn, he slowly raised his .357mag, took aim, and shot her in the forehead ...

... and that sound was clearly followed by the sound of an empty cartridge case hitting a hard surface.

:scrutiny: Really?

O'course, so many things about that show a so very stupid, that I was not surprised.

Sambo82
September 28, 2013, 08:29 PM
Movies are getting better. They must be hiring more vets or something as thechnical advisors. It seems like every 80's and 90's action movie featuring "SEALS", Delta" or some other such representation of special forces makes me grimmace.

I was watching that Harrison Ford movie Air Force One the other day and all the elite vets and terrorists were holding their subguns out in front of them on this crowded plane with the stocks folded and spraying lead all over the place. It was hilarious.

rockhopper46038
September 28, 2013, 08:38 PM
What about how every pistol on TV makes the "slide racking" sound before being brought into use, whether it is merely being withdrawn from a holster, or having the safety disengaged, or in some cases just being pointed at someone.

230RN
September 28, 2013, 09:13 PM
denton remarked,

The assumption that all guns have to be registered and the owner permitted.

Oh, yeah, right! I plumb forgot about that one. Really maddening!

OptimusPrime
September 28, 2013, 09:33 PM
Here's ones for the veterans: how about the "whooshing" sound that every rocket makes? I've shot enough AT-4s and Stingers to know that they go BANG when they fire, and I've never heard a whoooosh.

vamo
September 28, 2013, 10:12 PM
Well the one I find most infuriating since it directly affects my ability to procure one without selling my first born is the portrayal of suppressors. Too many bad spy movies makes everyone think you can't hear a suppressed handgun outside of a 5ft range.

Black Butte
September 28, 2013, 11:41 PM
I like when a guy shot with a .45 in a saloon gets blown out the window, clears the front porch, and lands in the middle of the street.

M60
September 29, 2013, 12:15 AM
I hate the multipule racking/cocking of firearms when they get "really serious". Sometimes they rack a shotgun 4 or 5 times to make their point. Ugh.

tomrkba
September 29, 2013, 12:42 AM
The whole racking/cocking of a gun on the draw is annoying.

What's worse are the myriad of incorrect ways actors hold the gun. I typically see a gap between the web of the hand and the tang of most pistols. "Teacupping" is very common.

I must give kudos to Fringe. The main character holds her Glock 27 correctly and keeps her finger off the trigger. If only she'd use her flashlight properly...

Cryogaijin
September 29, 2013, 07:23 AM
In one of the episodes of Sons of Guns, one of the gunsmiths is asked to stand as an extra in a movie. He was part of a "squad" of 6 or so "soldiers" and of all of them, he was the only one to be using the sling on his weapon correctly.

I found it hilarious.

J-Bar
September 29, 2013, 09:18 AM
How about the number of bullet hits that an actor can take and still continue fighting?

In the finale of "The Last Samurai" Tom Cruise and his samurai buddy charged into a battery of .45-70 Gatling guns, were hit several times each, and continued to ride and fight.

One hit from a .45-70 slug would probably convince just about anyone to retire from the fight, if he were still alive to consider anything at all.

Caliper_RWVA
September 29, 2013, 12:53 PM
How about the number of bullet hits that an actor can take and still continue fighting?

In the finale of "The Last Samurai" Tom Cruise and his samurai buddy charged into a battery of .45-70 Gatling guns, were hit several times each, and continued to ride and fight.

One hit from a .45-70 slug would probably convince just about anyone to retire from the fight, if he were still alive to consider anything at all.

Only the hero or the arch-villan can take multiple hits. Lesser bad guys go down with just one hit to the pinky...

There are however examples of real-life war heroes charging machine gun nests, taking multiple hits, and both taking out the MG crew and surviving to tell about it. Not common, but human determination is an amazing thing at times.

HEAVY METAL 1
September 29, 2013, 02:06 PM
One of the worst I saw was a bunch of cops & bad guys shooting at each other and one of the cop's 45 ACP went empty (slide locked back) yet she continued to point it at the bad guys with a "bang" .

Mitlov
September 29, 2013, 02:19 PM
In the show Longmire, there was a scene where the characters heard the unmistakable click-clack of a pump-action shotgun, and it panned to show someone standing behind them...with a sxs shotgun.

bronco_buster
September 29, 2013, 02:24 PM
Hahaha...this thread is hilarious.

I hate the fake muzzle flash that is edited into a gunfight/shooting scene. I watched a few episodes of Sons of Anarchy on Netflix. I completely lost interest after I saw this little anemic "edited in" muzzle flash that was reminiscent of the black and white war movies. I don't understand why they feel the need to edit in some hokey looking fireball.

+1 on "God Mode" = Endless mags, unlimited health, invulnerability

Guns with no recoil. Wish my HK91 recoiled like a pellet gun...LOL:

http://gifs.gifbin.com/jack_sniping.gif

rvn
September 29, 2013, 02:33 PM
I get a chuckle out of these goofs,but I like them.These shows are where most street punks learn how to shoot and I don't want to train them accurately. Tom

we are not amused
September 29, 2013, 03:07 PM
Good point! Remember the nonsense about holding guns "gangster style"? Or holding the gun pointed up next to one's face!

Mitlov
September 29, 2013, 03:54 PM
Good point! Remember the nonsense about holding guns "gangster style"? Or holding the gun pointed up next to one's face!

Date Night lampooned that perfectly: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDYC7d4FuCM&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DZDYC7d4FuCM

Sent from my Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 2.

gandog56
September 29, 2013, 04:15 PM
I always hate it in TV and movies when somebody gets shot and just flies off his feet like he was hit by a truck. According to Newton, every action has an equal but opposite reaction. If it knocks the shootee down, it would knock the shooter down when he fired it, too!

Now a head snapping back or he drops straight down...OK.

George Dickel
September 29, 2013, 06:34 PM
If you will watch Mel Gibson in all of the Lethal Weapon movies, he blinks his eyes every time he shoots a round from his pistol. I see it in almost all the the action movies. On CSI Miami the short blond chick who is supposed to be a firearms expert, watch her, she blinks every time she shoots a firearm. You woluld think that a technical advisor would tell them to knock it off, it makes them look like a complete shooting novice, not the supposed expert marksman they portray.

akodo
September 29, 2013, 08:24 PM
Quick note on guns that shoot a lot before reloads. You are right that sometimes it is ridiculous, but sometimes the filmmaker is trying to show what is happening in two separate locations or from two separate angles at once.

Take a cowboy on main street who pulls a gun and fires 3 rounds at the good guy, then the scene cuts to inside the saloon where you hear 3 gunshots and people dive for cover. I've been watching movies like that where someone will claim 'his gun is empty now! he shot 6 times!' and then roll their eyes when the camera goes back to the cowboy on the street who shoots at least a few more shots.

Now, I also think realistic ammo consumption and the need to reload could add a lot of tension in scenes if it was done more often. I think of the movie No Country for Old Men. The main character (Llewellyn) buys a shotgun and some shells then cuts the barrel down in his hotel room. I'd have had him buy a shotgun and have some chatter with the guy about shells. Something along the lines of

"I'll pick up some buckshot too"

"how many boxes you want?"

"five in a box right?"

"yes sir"

"then I'll take two boxes"

When he cuts the gun down he loads up 5 shells and puts the other box in his pocket.

Now, when the gunfight scene happens, one where there is not a ton of shooting, the audience (or at least the smart members) know he's got a handful of shots, and you can set up a scene where the gun goes click at a bad moment. Heck you can even have him drop the box and the shells roll now he has to grab for em etc etc.

You wouldn't want EVERY gunfight to have the hero end up reloading to increase dramatic tension, but I'd like to see it a lot more. Plus just reloading in general.

I'd also love to see a shootout where the whoever shoots 6 times with a revolver then some smug bad-guy steps out and notes the shooter shot 6 and is empty. Empty gunner then pulls a snub out of his pocket and shoots the guy dead. Or even better shoot one more time then as the guy is dying remark 'most revolvers nowadays have 7 shots'

akodo
September 29, 2013, 08:26 PM
I guess I didn't actually answer

#1 Quick and the Dead (among others) you shoot someone and you can literally SEE THROUGH the bullet hole.

#2 insert the sound of a shotgun pumping whenever anyone is messing with guns, even if it is just opening up a trunk to reveal handguns and all the bad guys start grabbing one, etc.

#3 gunshots literally picking people off their feet and sending them flying

Jcinnb
September 29, 2013, 09:02 PM
c'mon guys....How about sounds in space? The worst!

jakk280rem
September 29, 2013, 09:09 PM
I stopped watching Walking Dead about two minutes into episode 1. When the main character tells his cop rookie buddy to "make sure the safety is off on that thing". That thing being a Glock 22. I think what really got me was the show was recommended to me for its excellent use and representation of firearm use.

Mitlov
September 29, 2013, 11:02 PM
I stopped watching Walking Dead about two minutes into episode 1. When the main character tells his cop rookie buddy to "make sure the safety is off on that thing". That thing being a Glock 22. I think what really got me was the show was recommended to me for its excellent use and representation of firearm use.

I took that more as the main character showing how out-of-touch he was with modern equipment (the sort of guy who insists on relying 100% on a Colt Python regardless of the situation).

justice06rr
September 30, 2013, 01:03 AM
If it weren't for these fallacies, movies would be so boring! LOL

What about how every pistol on TV makes the "slide racking" sound before being brought into use, whether it is merely being withdrawn from a holster, or having the safety disengaged, or in some cases just being pointed at someone.

That is the worst one that I hate.

Everytime a shooter points a gun, you hear a "click" supposedly from the safety. Or the shooter racks the slide after drawing from his holster, meaning he was carrying with an empty chamber to begin with. And when they always have to decock a DA/SA pistol when they decide they're not going to shoot.

Ryanxia
September 30, 2013, 11:12 AM
Resident Evil where she fired U.S. quarters out of her 12 gauge :)

When any kind of AP ammo gets the name 'cop killers' and usually upon inspecting the rounds it's some fancy looking thing.

I don't mind the non stop shooting from a gun as long as they do it in different scenes instead of one long one so there's the possibility of the actor reloading in between.

Ranger Roberts
September 30, 2013, 11:54 AM
Here's ones for the veterans: how about the "whooshing" sound that every rocket makes? I've shot enough AT-4s and Stingers to know that they go BANG when they fire, and I've never heard a whoooosh.

I like how versatile of a weapon movies make the AT-4 out to be. According to the movies it can take out a Jumbo Jet at 40,000 feet, be reloaded (these are disposable weapons, one shot and it's done), then take out a tank, then a bunker.

bainter1212
September 30, 2013, 12:16 PM
The quick, one handed 25 yard headshots on The Walking Dead always make me laugh.
Also, when an assassin opens up a suitcase, puts the rifle together (everything magically snaps together of course) and the scope is spot on zeroed.
This also occurs in video games. A scope will put the shot wherever the crosshairs are, no matter the yardage.

Mitlov
September 30, 2013, 02:17 PM
I don't mind the non stop shooting from a gun as long as they do it in different scenes instead of one long one so there's the possibility of the actor reloading in between.

Count the shots from a lever-action rifle!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NmzF9pj9Yk

This also occurs in video games. A scope will put the shot wherever the crosshairs are, no matter the yardage.

I believe some of the recent Battlefield games have bullet drop; in Call of Duty, though, gravity doesn't have any effect on lead.

Apuuli
September 30, 2013, 02:42 PM
There is a John Cusack movie (I don't recall which one), in which he's supposed to be a highly-skilled assassin (or something).

One scene in a convenience store he's got a pistol in each hand and he jerks the gun forward every time he pulls the trigger, like he's trying to throw the bullets with extra force (the way kids do when saying "bang, bang" with toy guns).

It was really distracting and poorly done!

Arkansas Paul
September 30, 2013, 03:01 PM
#1 Quick and the Dead (among others) you shoot someone and you can literally SEE THROUGH the bullet hole.

That was the first one that popped into my mind when I started reading the thread. :)
Also, when people step into the streets and shoot people off of roof tops a block down the street with their Colt .45 or shooting from a running horse and never missing a shot. Or some westerns where they fan the hammer and hit every time at 20-30 yds.

In the movie "Olympus Has Fallen" the main guy is making his way into the Whitehouse and is shooting with what looks like maybe a Sig and never misses, once making a head shot at 60-70 yds. :rolleyes:

On a good note though, I was watching "Hell on Wheels" (freaking awesome BTW if you haven't seen it) and the main guy empties his Remington Army and replaces the cylinder while walking. It was great. My wife was watching with me and I explained how a lot of guys carried spare cylinders back then to keep from having to take as much time to reload. For some reason she wasn't as impressed as I was.

morcey2
September 30, 2013, 03:25 PM
On the "every gun is registered and immediately traceable" front is the "every non-cop gun owner is a bad guy" corollary. My wife watches lots of NCIS and CSI where one of the investigators asks someone "Did you know he/she owned a gun?" followed by the implication that owning a gun automagically makes them highly-suspect if not guilty.

Also. I think it was CSI, but I'm not sure. Two of the characters decided to go to the "range" to blow off some steam. The "range" was a warehouse looking room supposedly in the basement of their HQ. There was a single shooting station set up at one end and the target was run out to the other end of the "range". Behind the target was an office area, complete with workers milling about totally oblivious to their imminent demise. :barf:

I can't watch shows with guns or computers in them. Hire a frickin' technical advisor!

Matt

Rushthezeppelin
September 30, 2013, 04:17 PM
This also occurs in video games. A scope will put the shot wherever the crosshairs are, no matter the yardage

Play DayZ. They have a rough zeroing system, have to go by 100m increments with zeroing but if your target is say 450 then you still have to aim above your crosshair with zero set to 400. No windage though kinda sucks. Also fairly realistic terminal ballistics. At least I know the 5.56 rounds get weak as hell beyond 100m which is just about right for real world. That and the Barrett one shot kills no matter where it hits (fairly realistic given that if any part of you is touched by that round you are at least going to be a missing limb and alot of blood). Even realistic barrier penetration with some rounds.

Swing
September 30, 2013, 04:35 PM
There is a John Cusack movie (I don't recall which one), in which he's supposed to be a highly-skilled assassin (or something).

One scene in a convenience store he's got a pistol in each hand and he jerks the gun forward every time he pulls the trigger, like he's trying to throw the bullets with extra force (the way kids do when saying "bang, bang" with toy guns).

It was really distracting and poorly done!

Grosse Pointe Blank (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHI_i3ncJH4), iirc. That one also had Glocks make a hammer cocking sound. ;)

Hacker15E
September 30, 2013, 04:36 PM

This is it. That sound happens no matter what manipulation is made to the firearm.

Arkansas Paul
September 30, 2013, 04:41 PM
It happens in books too. I was reading one by Dean Koontz (my favorite author) and someone tells a rookie cop that the safety is off on his Glock. :banghead:
That sucks, b/c Koontz is usually pretty gun savvy.

Blackstone
September 30, 2013, 07:32 PM
Just as the shot killed the young man, the camera shows the officer pulling back on his charging handle to reload the next round..... Must have been one of those single shot AR's??

Was probably one of our UK legal ARs :D

denton
September 30, 2013, 08:00 PM
Bullets that shower sparks when they hit a solid object.

tarosean
September 30, 2013, 08:04 PM
It happens in books too. I was reading one by Dean Koontz (my favorite author) and someone tells a rookie cop that the safety is off on his Glock.
That sucks, b/c Koontz is usually pretty gun savvy.

They do sell aftermarket safeties for Glocks....
So it's kind of plausible

however, the click click click when its empty is not.....

Murphy4570
September 30, 2013, 08:19 PM
Grosse Pointe Blank, iirc. That one also had Glocks make a hammer cocking sound.

Just for the record, that movie is awesome.

MErl
September 30, 2013, 08:47 PM
however, the click click click when its empty is not.....
The worst one of the click click is with automatics. Let off a long burst full auto then 5-6 clicks like a windup toy running out of spring.

As far as overall most annoying, tie between "every gun must make a cocking noise when drawn" and "rack the gun to show I'm serious." (bonus annoyance when they do it more than once)

Blackstone
October 1, 2013, 07:17 AM
But DA pistols do go "click click click" when empty (if you've got a malfunctioning slide release) :p

I also hate excessive pumping of pump shotguns. Either they've just ejected a perfectly good round for dramatic effect, or they've walked into a potential gunfight without a chambered shell.

Mat, not doormat
October 1, 2013, 03:03 PM
But DA pistols do go "click click click" when empty (if you've got a malfunctioning slide release) :p

I also hate excessive pumping of pump shotguns. Either they've just ejected a perfectly good round for dramatic effect, or they've walked into a potential gunfight without a chambered shell.

There was some silly thing I watched recently, though I don't remember the title, (must have repressed it) wherein one guy got completely out of hand with the drama pumping. I remember thinking at the time, "If he does that again, he's gonna be out of ammo before he fires a shot."

MacTech
October 1, 2013, 05:46 PM
This one deserves an award...

The direct to video zombie apocalypse movie "rise of the dead", in one scene, a scientist, played by LeVar Burton, is gunning down a zombie, he shoulders the rifle, which emits a large CGI muzzleblast and a loud report, he hits his target with a headshot, but, as he dismounts the gun, you can see that it's actually a break-barrel piston airgun (like a Diana 34)

At least they didn't CGI in machine gun muzzle flashes on it,...

USAF_Vet
October 1, 2013, 07:04 PM
Saw one god awful B zombie movie where they got a hold of an M2.

While dumping rounds into zombies, beyond the CGI muzzle flash, you could clearly see the belt not advancing rounds. Nor were any shell casings or disintegrating links on the ground.

Also, surprised no one has mentioned shooting any gas or fuel tank automatically explodes

Blackstone
October 1, 2013, 07:11 PM
Also, surprised no one has mentioned shooting any gas or fuel tank automatically explodes
Indeed, I didn't know BLEVEs were so easy to cause.

OkieJohn
October 1, 2013, 09:29 PM
Quick note on guns that shoot a lot before reloads. You are right that sometimes it is ridiculous, but sometimes the filmmaker is trying to show what is happening in two separate locations or from two separate angles at once.

Take a cowboy on main street who pulls a gun and fires 3 rounds at the good guy, then the scene cuts to inside the saloon where you hear 3 gunshots and people dive for cover. I've been watching movies like that where someone will claim 'his gun is empty now! he shot 6 times!' and then roll their eyes when the camera goes back to the cowboy on the street who shoots at least a few more shots.

Now, I also think realistic ammo consumption and the need to reload could add a lot of tension in scenes if it was done more often. I think of the movie No Country for Old Men. The main character (Llewellyn) buys a shotgun and some shells then cuts the barrel down in his hotel room. I'd have had him buy a shotgun and have some chatter with the guy about shells. Something along the lines of

"I'll pick up some buckshot too"

"how many boxes you want?"

"five in a box right?"

"yes sir"

"then I'll take two boxes"

When he cuts the gun down he loads up 5 shells and puts the other box in his pocket.

Now, when the gunfight scene happens, one where there is not a ton of shooting, the audience (or at least the smart members) know he's got a handful of shots, and you can set up a scene where the gun goes click at a bad moment. Heck you can even have him drop the box and the shells roll now he has to grab for em etc etc.

You wouldn't want EVERY gunfight to have the hero end up reloading to increase dramatic tension, but I'd like to see it a lot more. Plus just reloading in general.

I'd also love to see a shootout where the whoever shoots 6 times with a revolver then some smug bad-guy steps out and notes the shooter shot 6 and is empty. Empty gunner then pulls a snub out of his pocket and shoots the guy dead. Or even better shoot one more time then as the guy is dying remark 'most revolvers nowadays have 7 shots'
Check out "The Shakiest Gun In The West" with Don Knots, very funny western and a major plot point involves counting round fired.

MacTech
October 1, 2013, 10:28 PM
The Schwartzenegger action/comedy "The Last Action Hero (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Film/LastActionHero?from=Main.LastActionHero) is absolutely LOADED with gags and tropes that lampoon the action movie genre, it's a knowing wink and a nod to savvy action movie fans

Benedict (the bad guy) is shooting at Slater, using a .44 magnum revolver...
Bang..bang..bang..bang..CLICK....
Slater; did you make a movie mistake? You forgot to load the damn gun!
B; no jack, I just left one chamber empty.... Bang!

Slater shoots at a taxi that is driving away with Benedict, when the taxi doesn't explode from the bullet impacts, he looks at his gun with frustration

Swing
October 2, 2013, 12:23 AM
Most of the fictional silliness has already been mentioned, so I won't repeat it. One thing that always bothered me about one of my favorite old programs, Combat! (starring Vic Morrow and Rick Jason), is how little effect getting shot had upon the show's heros. Mind you the Axis types get zapped a good one, but the good guys take rounds from MG-42s and MP-40s and look mildly put out. Yes, I realize that on television, particularly in the mid-60s, gore wasn't going to fly, but you'd think a few rounds of 7.92mm might have a (eh-hem) slightly more profound impact. ;)

Doc Mongo
October 2, 2013, 05:21 AM
AMEN BROTHER!

And how every time someone holding a firearm in a movie/tv show so much as moves, you hear a symphony of clicking and rattling from their weapon. Pisses me off to no end.

Jaxondog
October 2, 2013, 08:16 AM
How about when the main actors can shoot and hit anybody and anything with one shot 200 yds or more away, but when the same movie has a gun battle in the same room they can't hit sh**.

Arkansas Paul
October 2, 2013, 09:57 AM
Question for you guys. Was watching Bones the other night and they found a bullet in a car that was the cause of death and they ran ballistics on it. The results came back and they said it was from a Rossi snub nose .38 revolver. Is there a way to tell what brand firearm the bullet came from. Do the riflings leave that distinct of markings and are they proprietary to each brand. I'm thinking its BS, but I don't know everything. (Don't tell my wife).

Blackstone
October 2, 2013, 10:33 AM
I don't believe so. I think they can tell if it was a polygonal barrel and narrow it down from there.

Tommygunn
October 2, 2013, 11:00 AM
Most of the fictional silliness has already been mentioned, so I won't repeat it. One thing that always bothered me about one of my favorite old programs, Combat! (starring Vic Morrow and Rick Jason), is how little effect getting shot had upon the show's heros. Mind you the Axis types get zapped a good one, but the good guys take rounds from MG-42s and MP-40s and look mildly put out. Yes, I realize that on television, particularly in the mid-60s, gore wasn't going to fly, but you'd think a few rounds of 7.92mm might have a (eh-hem) slightly more profound impact.

MP-40 is 9mm. so the only way it would be worse than say a wound from a P-38 would be multiple hits as the MP-40 is a submachinegun.
I've been a fan of COMBAT! since it originally aired and have it on DVD. There really aren't any scenes I recall where the chief characters get hit by full blown machine gun I recall, except; in
"Hills are for Heros"~~ our (extended) squad must take two pillboxes each located on a hill overlooking a road the allies NEED. During the initial siege Sgt. Saunders is hit by machine gun fire leaving "a hole you could drive a truck though," according to the company medic. This put Saunders out of commission for the rest of the show, and since the actor portraying him, Vic Morrow, directed this episode, it left him free to direct.
I've read behind the scene production notes on some TV shows produced in the 60s, and believe me, TV networks (mainly) had very ...uh, "conservative" ideas on how much "blood & guts" could be portrayed on TV. Facial wounds tend to bleed generously, as anyone who has suffered one knows, but no way on '60s TV would you be able to do more than apply of a little red goo to represent a face wound.
About the rest of it....you do realize adrenaline might have an effect. Also, survival instincts, and some weird events....
To whit; I recall reading a report a friend of my mother's prepared during WW2. THis guy was a WW2 medic who became a doctor afterword and prepared a report that became part of a government study that eventually resulted in the Korean War era M*A*S*H units that you may recall from the TV show of that name. His report details the backgrounds of a number of soldiers in the Pacific who were shot, and didn't even realize they'd been shot until it was pointed out to them by buddies. One of the most oddball of these was a young soldier who'd beenshot square through the front of his skull and had the bullet exit the rear of his head. The reason he survived this was because the bullet went exactly in between the right and left hemisphere of his brain, causing little to no damage to the neurology -- atleast none that could be detected using what limited technology they had then. This guy didn't realize he'd been shot until his CO removed his helmet and pointed out the bullet holes in it!
Certainly that was a big exception to the general reaction soldiers might have had ... but it did happen. And it wasn't even the only exception.
But, I digress .... ;)

denton
October 2, 2013, 04:21 PM
Is there a way to tell what brand firearm the bullet came from.

Only to a very limited extent.

You can tell how many lands and grooves the barrel had, and that sometimes narrows it down a little bit.

Hardtarget
October 3, 2013, 12:27 AM
My wife gets peeved when I remark how, when the bad guy shoots at the 'good guy group"...the first shot is ALWAYS a miss! That is the one shot that SHOULD be a hit! After all, its the opening salvo. Absolutely no reason to miss the very first shot!

Mark

jpruitt
October 3, 2013, 09:31 AM

The guy Rick was talking to was kind of a doofus, and it was obvious Rick didn't think highly of him. From Rick's tone and facial expression, I took that "safety" comment as him screwing with the guy.

USAF_Vet
October 3, 2013, 07:15 PM
Not specifically guns, but I love how a hand grenade will clear a city block and a 40mm from an M203 might as well be a WMD.

barnbwt
October 3, 2013, 10:12 PM
Pretty sure a live 40mm in a dude's car here in America would be considered a WMD (legally, speaking ;) )

TCB

230RN
October 4, 2013, 04:25 AM
Jaxondog said,

How about when the main actors can shoot and hit anybody and anything with one shot 200 yds or more away, but when the same movie has a gun battle in the same room they can't hit sh**.

Somehow or another that reminds me of some movie where Tommy Lee Jones shoots at a bad guy about 100 yards away with his .45 auto. His bullet knocks the gun out of the BG's hand and Tommy Lee Jones, surprised, mutters "Dayam."

I'm sure it was a deliberate spoof on all those scenes where The Hero shoots the gun out of the other guy's hand... but this time The Hero does it from 100 yards.

Laughed like hell over that one.

Terry, 230RN

yzguy87
October 4, 2013, 09:00 AM
Sniper Reloaded. The whole move. Also the entire series of Walker Texas Ranger (no offense to the Chuck Norris fans:D). I watched a part of an episode recently where Walker and his cronies are battling a large group of bad guys equipped with machine guns and a couple RPGs! Walker and friends have pistols! Walker pulls up, opens his tuck door and stands behind it for cover! Who wins? Walker and Company, of course!:rolleyes: I forgot to mention the part where Trevett got blown up by one of the RPGs!

Also the news media! Pretty surprised that the news outlets didn't say the woman who tried to drive through the barriers of the white house and the Capitol was driving an AR15 assault vehicle!

Ash
October 21, 2013, 06:36 AM
The Quick and the Dead was a sort of spoof of spaghetti westerns, so the hole was part of the exaggeration. Already you accept the premise of a town holding a dueling contest. Accept the rest of it. It was to westerns that Evil Dead II was to horror movies.

Groovy.

horseman1
October 22, 2013, 12:59 AM
While all this is great stuff, the lack of gun safety on television shows is appalling. I dont watch much TV these days so I cant list the specific movies or shows.

I've seen plenty of shows where the cops/cowboys/soldiers use their gun to point directions out and in the process covering half of their team with the muzzle and usually with their finger in the trigger guard.

This is a public nuisance, similar to showing people smoking on TV, or Rosie O'Donnell eating lunch. People who imitate these things could die or harm others.

An excellent example of incompetence in gun safety is shown here where the actor is outwardly displaying a complete lack of gun safety knowledge or common sense. In this tale of fiction, the person shown is a supposed expert.

This may have been on CSPAN, so it qualifies:

akodo
October 24, 2013, 12:13 AM
One that I don't see mentioned yet is understanding how laser sights work.

I recall a movie...I think it was based on a Tom Clancy novel...where some special forces types with MP5s and laser sights go into a train car and gun down everyone inside. They show the traincar from the outside and beams of lasers flash out through the holes that appear.

In another, some corrupt cops are outside a home shining laser sights in. The star and the lady interest sneak around avoiding the beams, as if allowing the laser to touch them would result in instant death.

Strikeback had a recent episode where the two 'agents' had green lasers mounted on their guns, sometimes they were depicted with a green beam eminating, sometimes not. Then one guy shot and the beam pulsed on and off with each shot as if he was shooting some sort of ray gun

DeadMoneyDrew
October 24, 2013, 12:33 AM
One that I don't see mentioned yet is understanding how laser sights work.

I recall a movie...I think it was based on a Tom Clancy novel...where some special forces types with MP5s and laser sights go into a train car and gun down everyone inside. They show the traincar from the outside and beams of lasers flash out through the holes that appear.

I believe that you are referring to a stinker of a film called The Peacemaker. It came out some time in the 1990s, right before George Clooney finally figured out that he is actually a decent actor and doesn't have to take crap acting jobs just for a paycheck. The train raid scene was patently absurd, although that fact really didn't set it apart from the rest of the film all that much.

stressed
October 24, 2013, 12:38 AM
Dumbest thing I notice is how 1 or 2 good guys with pistols will go up against 10-30 goon with subguns and assault rifles, yet the goons manage to miss every single time with high capacity mags at close distances even though they massively outgun the good guys, only to perish from a couple or one well places round from the good guy's pistol at the same distance...

If these were realistic, I think most movies would end quickly and have unhappy audiences.

Ash
October 24, 2013, 06:27 AM
Hey, Peacemaker had a great shot of a CZ-52 pistol carried by a Czech Army officer...

Sentryau2
October 24, 2013, 06:38 AM
Foam or really light plastic guns.......The movie is shooter. I dont know why it bugged me so bad but it did. Seeing the rifle "float" around it might as well have been made out of papermache :banghead:

Or taking out a heli with a single shot from the .50 (tho provided he did hit the main rotor shaft)

Or the giant exploding propane tank, we tried that. It DOSENT work.

stressed
October 26, 2013, 01:30 AM
Foam or really light plastic guns.......The movie is shooter. I dont know why it bugged me so bad but it did. Seeing the rifle "float" around it might as well have been made out of papermache :banghead:

Or taking out a heli with a single shot from the .50 (tho provided he did hit the main rotor shaft)

Or the giant exploding propane tank, we tried that. It DOSENT work.
Speaking of such, I've fired into numerous cars gas tanks with gas in them (from a distance) before they get scrapped, none of them blew up like in the movies, they just leaked the gas out everywhere.

Ash
October 26, 2013, 06:40 AM
I could live with a gas tank going boom - it can happen if it sparks and the tank is mostly empty and vaporized gas is explosive. But how is it the passenger compartment erupts in flames? How is it grenades explode in a billowing ball of fire? How is it bullets spark off the hood of a car without leaving a dent? How is it Martin Riggs fired pistol rounds through the blade of a bulldozer? How is it two Scorpion SMG's dropped 223 cases upon firing?

Because Hollywood is make believe. I cut the cable ten years ago because it is so much crap that it isn't worth my money. I can escape in shows like Firefly or Briscoe County Jr. or movies like Avengers or Independence Day because they aren't meant to be taken seriously or in movies like Letters from Iwo Jima because they try to get it right, or in the original Gung Ho because they tried to lift up American spirits in the dark days of WWII. I can buy them on DVD from time to time (usually from the $5 bin). I can better spend my time elsewhere - which I do.

Hollywood today is a cynical business that seeks to liberate me from my money while telling me how stupid I am. I choose not to participate.

Tejicano Loco
October 27, 2013, 10:04 AM
In the movie "Sneakers" there is a scene where the protagonist is fighting/wrestling with a BG and the GG's girl picks up the gun which one of them dropped and fires a round into the ceiling (floor? I don't remember) after which the gun clearly has stovepiped. The fight stops and the good guys take control. I was waiting for whatever happens when the gun either doesn't fire again or whatever the plot was supposed to go when the clearly obvious jammed gun becomes a problem. It took me a couple minutes to realize that - even though the gun jamming was in a close up - it was un-intended and nobody in the production of the film even noticed it.

I have to say that through my military reserve unit I have met some people - including one guy who makes Jack Bauer look like a wannabee - who have spoiled my interest in the entire genre of spy/counterinsurgency books and movies. For instance - high tech gizmos. One guy told about how he dumped a satelite phone out the back of the plane into the ocean before a drop into some unnamed country. He already knew how to do his job without it and there was no way he was going to risk his mission and his life to be the beta tester.

David E
October 27, 2013, 11:52 AM
Tango and Cash, anti-gunner Stallone ejects the "regular" ammo from his .38 J-frame and loads "Super Duper" ammo in it which he uses to shoot a speeding Semi truck that blows up, etc.

The CSI or similar episode where they're after an "unlicensed gun dealer" or another one where the dealer IS licensed in NYC and apparently sells his legally obtained guns out of his trunk. They know he's the guy and lament that all the handguns found in his apartment (dresser drawers, etc) are legal so they can't touch him.

btown
October 27, 2013, 12:30 PM
I always look for recoil or lack of it. Even the big .45 Matt Dillon carried .

Tommygunn
October 27, 2013, 02:35 PM
Tango and Cash, anti-gunner Stallone ejects the "regular" ammonia from his .38 J-frame and loads "Super Duper" ammo in it which he uses to shoot a speeding Semi truck that blows up, etc.

What was he using -- a squirt gun? Not sure I'd like to be squirted with ammonia -- but it beats a .38SP!!!!!!! ;)

woodweasel58
October 27, 2013, 05:07 PM
I've read a bunch of these and yet to see mention of every guy with a semi auto pistol firing one shot and the camera goes to him holding that once fired auto with the slide locked open. Really small capacity magazines, I guess.

Fleetman
October 27, 2013, 06:00 PM
I've always admired the endless magazines for AK's and then the shooter grabs it barehanded by the barrel and runs off

David E
October 27, 2013, 06:02 PM
What was he using -- a squirt gun? Not sure I'd like to be squirted with ammonia -- but it beats a .38SP!!!!!!! ;)
Auto correct does peculiar things sometimes!

About lack of recoil: I'd rather they not attempt it at all if they can't do it right. Beginning of Charlie's Angels shows one of them on the gunrange, recoiling at least a 1/2 second after the shot.

Or the Glock with the slide locked back goes "clickety click, clickety click" as they keep pulling the trigger, as in "Daredevil."

JRWhit
October 27, 2013, 06:57 PM
Don't know if it's true but I've heard many claim that Clint Eastwood is the reason why the 44 mag won out over the 41 mag." You Feeling Lucky Punk."
Probably from all that serious knock down power that had people flying out windows and such.;)

theotherwaldo
October 27, 2013, 09:11 PM
Silencers that are practically silent, instead of just knocking thirty or so decibels off of what comes out of a full-powered firearm.

Atom Smasher
October 27, 2013, 09:18 PM
Tango and Cash, anti-gunner Stallone ejects the "regular" ammo from his .38 J-frame and loads "Super Duper" ammo in it which he uses to shoot a speeding Semi truck that blows up, etc.

Really though, when we take genres into effect, are we really expecting a goofy buddy-cop movie from the 80's to be 100% accurate?

I agree that sometimes gun tropes can take me out of a movie, but once I've suspended disbelief I can usually ignore just about everything. Admittedly, I'm not an LEO or anything so when I watch military/police films I miss many of those inaccuracies. Blessing of ignorance, I suppose! :D

rtz
October 27, 2013, 09:34 PM
Here's a great classic. I think that was Arnold's prime.

ix3EEipwRJk

Mango88
October 28, 2013, 12:46 PM
The trope that absolutely sends me over the edge is the "Witch Gun" or "Evil Gun" theme that I remember being popular in the 1960's but still persists. It is the theme of a gun circulating from person to person and as every person acquires this particular gun they proceed to do all kinds of evil and stupid deeds with it that they would not have done otherwise. I've seen this in shows from Dragnet, Barney Miller, to NCIS. Absolutely makes me gnash my teeth and spew venom!

Warp
October 28, 2013, 12:54 PM
All guns are registered to somebody.

A recovered bullet or fragment can be traced back to a gun. And every single time.

Guns are magical and one shot instantly stops and drops every person every time, especially if a handgun was used.

Only criminals and LEOs have guns.

If you disobey the above rule, you will either have your gun taken by a criminal or become a criminal yourself through misuse of the gun.

These and similar are by far the worse. What they are conditioning the ignorant masses to believe ends up, very quickly, leading to a loss of Rights and Liberties as well as good people being charged with crimes/going to prison, all because the media portrays and alternate reality and so many people don't have the real life experience or knowledge to know better.

Ashcons
October 28, 2013, 05:29 PM
My wife gets really when I comment about gun related stuff in the TV shows she watches.

-Incorrect sound effect (including the shotgun/handgun slide sound or revolver hammer cocking every time someone raises a gun on screen)
-Magical, endless magazines
-Mythical aiming prowess of every main character

The little hilarious errors are less egregious than the political erroneous/brainwashing statements about unregistered firearms/ammo and the mis-characterization of suppressors more quietly than a rabbit fart, or traceable ammunition. Those things and the portrayal that everyone with a gun falls into one of three categories: good guy (cop, military, etc.), bad guy, or angry/drunk redneck really bother me.

brewthunda
October 28, 2013, 07:46 PM
A big one for me is the sight picture depicted for every single sniper scene I've ever watched. No matter how far away the shooter is, the sight picture is of the reticle sitting perfectly still over some guy, usually from the waist up because of the magnification.

Going from memory - in Shooter, when he shoots the soup can from 1 mile away, the sight picture is a close up of the can, with the reticle sitting perfectly still.

Here's a pic - this is his view after he fires at the can from 1 mile away and somehow gets back on target to watch the hit: http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y212/brewthunda/Clipboard01-9.jpg

I want to see them come out with a sniper movie where you can't really see the target and where the reticle is only on target between heartbeats.

And on an unrelated note - it bugs me how easy it is to break some guy's neck in the movies. A quick, effortless twist of the head, with less force than it takes to de-leg a cooked chicken, and the guy falls to the ground dead. My suspension of disbelief only goes so far - I wanna see them work for that kung fu neck break.

9mmfan
October 28, 2013, 08:28 PM
Mango88, there was a short lived Showtime series that ran from 97-99 called "Dead Man's Gun" that had that as the entire premise. The gun would somehow change hands or be found, and each episode would follow that character as the pistol changed their life. They replay it on Encore Westerns.

It really wasn't very good. Turns out the gun belonged to the Devil or somesuch, and was therefore actually cursed, so not exactly what you are talking about.

Also of note was the fact that it was not a Single Action Army, but rather an engraved (possibly with gold inlay? I don't remember) S&W breaktop.

horseman1
October 28, 2013, 08:29 PM
"And on an unrelated note - it bugs me how easy it is to break some guy's neck in the movies. A quick, effortless twist of the head, with less force than it takes to de-leg a cooked chicken, and the guy falls to the ground dead. My suspension of disbelief only goes so far - I wanna see them work for that kung fu neck break."

Yeah, my Chiropractor does worse to me, and I'm still here :)

dmancornell
October 29, 2013, 12:12 AM
A recent episode of "Elementary" called the MP5 a smoothbore and implied all subguns are inaccurate because they are also smoothbore firearms. :eek:

bobalou
October 29, 2013, 06:32 PM
Girl with the Dragon Tattoo racking Sig by snapping her hand down followed by a quick stop.
Mel Gibson shooting :-) 100 yards with a Beretta 92.

BobTheTomato
October 29, 2013, 09:37 PM
How when there is a shooting they can identify the specific model of rifle such as it knowing it was magically a Remington 700 in 30.06 just by looking at the ballistics.

barnbwt
October 29, 2013, 11:15 PM
"How when there is a shooting they can identify the specific model of rifle such as it knowing it was magically a Remington 700 in 30.06 just by looking at the ballistics"
That's my favorite; when CSI determines that only one pistol was ever made with, let's say, 5 right hand rifling grooves :rolleyes:

The worst gun trope is the notion that no information regarding gun issues whatsoever is needed to write stories about them :banghead:. I've yet to find another issue reported with more willful ignorance (i.e. confusing "miscarriage" with "abortion," although the frequent conflation of "health care" with "health insurance" almost rises to the level of gun story inaccuracies)

TCB

Leanwolf
October 30, 2013, 12:57 AM
BTOWN -I always look for recoil or lack of it. Even the big .45 Matt Dillon carried . "

On GUNSMOKE, during the years that John Mantley was the Exec. Producer, the very first page of a GUNSMOKE script was advising the actors about the recoil of a real .45 Colt. Actors who would be "shooting" during filming of a script, should fake the recoil for authenticity. Any actor who had never fired a large caliber handgun could ask and the production company would have a prop man take that person to a range in the San Fernando Valley of Los Angeles, and fire real .45 Colt cartridges through a Colt Single Action revolver, before filming.

Actors were advised that the blanks used were about of the powder load and a paper wad sealed the cartridge mouth, therefore no real recoil.

Some actors took advantage of the offer, others didn't and could not have cared less about recoil authenticity. Some of the directors didn't know how a .45 Colt "bucked" either, and didn't catch it when an actor shot his revolver and there was no recoil.

But at least some tried.

That's the way it is in show business. :)

L.W.

stressed
October 30, 2013, 02:40 AM
All guns are registered to somebody.

A recovered bullet or fragment can be traced back to a gun. And every single time.

Guns are magical and one shot instantly stops and drops every person every time, especially if a handgun was used.

Only criminals and LEOs have guns.

If you disobey the above rule, you will either have your gun taken by a criminal or become a criminal yourself through misuse of the gun.

These and similar are by far the worse. What they are conditioning the ignorant masses to believe ends up, very quickly, leading to a loss of Rights and Liberties as well as good people being charged with crimes/going to prison, all because the media portrays and alternate reality and so many people don't have the real life experience or knowledge to know better.
Well said. And I agree. I also notice in the CSI shows anything and everything can be traced. Wonder if this is a plug by LE warning evil doers that you will always be caught.

The registration one is believed by many people, and ironically all women I have asked. "Isn't that registered?" "Oh, you're registered" "You have to be registered" etc etc. I've enlighten many. They always seem to be so surprised, and sometimes it backfires because they get defensive/upset after I inform them of this and think there should be a law requiring registration, and will probably vote on it the next time a democrat gives them the chance to.

Tommygunn
October 30, 2013, 12:51 PM
I have no intention of defending TV in general or CSI shows but so far as gun registration, I would like to point out that the city where CSI is located, Las Vegas, Nevada, does actually have gun registration, so their use of it atleast so far as those owned by city dwellers is not outside reality. 99.99% of everything else is science friction. Keep in mind there are locals where there do exist registration laws.

mugsie
October 30, 2013, 05:27 PM
You're all talking about guns, but all I know is if I had some of those special super duper grenades they're using now, when I was in Vietnam, the war would have been over a hell of a lot quicker!

Hell, one super duper grenade could take out an entire house in todays flicks. They even have more flame than napalm - guess I wasn't around when they issued those!

Someone already mentioned it - supressed guns - phtt - standing 1 foot away and no one hears a thing - I want one of those too! Rifles with unlimited ammo - magical magazines that continually reload themselves during a fire fight with special no recol ammo that knocks the BG twelve feet away from where he's standing.

Or best of all - head shots where there's only a little hole in the front.

Don't get me started - what they don't show is how many illegal guns are being used - instead everyone is tracked directly to who it's registered to!

Have to stop now before I really get going!

Stay well people - enjoy our sport and stay healthy.

USAF_Vet
October 30, 2013, 09:32 PM
Or best of all - head shots where there's only a little hole in the front.

Even better, a headshot where the wall, window, other guy next the head shot gets splattered with blood, suggesting the bullet went through the other side, but the wall, window or other guy are unharmed.

Phaedrus/69
October 30, 2013, 10:20 PM
In the movie "2Guns" Markie Mark pulls out his Sig and draws down on a helicopter flying above him, strafing him and Denzel Washinton. Although the helo is probably 200' up and away and moving, Markie Mark ices the pilot with one shot!:eek: I realize it's Markie Mark, but c'mon!

And not merely a trope since it's based on fact, but has anyone here ever seen a sniper movie where the hero doesn't shoot another sniper thru the front of his scope?:rolleyes:

CapnMac
October 31, 2013, 12:21 AM
Other than the ones already mentioned; high up on my list are the "telephoto zoom" scopes.
And the scope reticule always has more stadia than a surveyor's theodolite. Which is all the more distracting, as those stadia are never in relation to the crosshairs.

My other pet peeve is training. Once All Is Lost, and the Last Recourse Is A Gun, all that is needed is 10, 20. sometimes 30, rounds. Usually these are fired at glass bottles with no backstop (and no range cleanup, either, ever). This one session makes them better shots than the evil, studied-for-a-lifetime, bad-guy gun "expert" who can shoot a .25acp into a soupcan at 1500m.

Also on my list would be when the good guy starts the firefight with a suitable longarm, with a 20 or 30 mag loaded, then fires about 10 rounds (or a 100), and tosses it down to change over to a handgun (this always despite there being either similar weapons or magazines as close as the handgun).

Oh, and all gunstores have a 'secret' backroom (larger than the store itself) with more arms in it than the Central Armory of the Dominican Republic. Even if there is no secret room, all it takes to make anything in an MG (even a revolver) is a screwdriver and some WD-40 and about 60 seconds.

RetiredUSNChief
October 31, 2013, 04:20 AM
Heh! Just finished watching "For a Few Dollars More". I loved the scene where Clint Eastwood and Lee Van Cleef shooting each other's hats and the hats scooting several yards when shot.

And most expecially when Lee shoots Clint's hat off his head and it sails straight up in the air...to be shot 5 more times, each time bouncing further straight up!

God, I love those old westerns! Everybody's a crack shot!

:):)

USAF_Vet
October 31, 2013, 08:24 AM
In the movie "2Guns" Markie Mark pulls out his Sig and draws down on a helicopter flying above him, strafing him and Denzel Washinton. Although the helo is probably 200' up and away and moving, Markie Mark ices the pilot with one shot!:eek: I realize it's Markie Mark, but c'mon!

And not merely a trope since it's based on fact, but has anyone here ever seen a sniper movie where the hero doesn't shoot another sniper thru the front of his scope?:rolleyes:
I don't recall there being a 'shot through the scope' scene in Shooter, also with Marky Mark.

Warp
October 31, 2013, 08:40 PM
I don't recall there being a 'shot through the scope' scene in Shooter, also with Marky Mark.
Pretty sure there wasn't.

The one most people seem to know is from Band of Brothers.

Shanghai McCoy
November 1, 2013, 12:13 PM
That first movie "Sniper" with Tom Berenger, has him shooting that drug cartel sniper through the scope I think...?:scrutiny:

KMatch
November 1, 2013, 12:39 PM
Mel Gibson shooting :-) 100 yards with a Beretta 92.

Which 100 yards? The 100 where he shot a precision smiley face (OK, maybe 100 feet...), or the 100 where he missed the rather large helicopter running a mag empty? Of course if you watch close enough, he missed that rather large ocean behind it as well. Guns are apparently more effective indoors.

Stope Rat
November 1, 2013, 03:15 PM
Any time the CSI, Medical Examiner, or lead action hero looks at the recently deceased and pronounces

"They were shot with a 9mm - that's the same as the bad guy has."

Could it maybe have been a .38? Or a 10mm? I mean, skin is elastic so the hole stretches. How can you tell caliber looking at skin? Not to mention that no one seems to realize that 9mm is pretty damn close to the same diameter as a .38. Or a .380. Or a 9mm Mak. You get the idea.

JN01
November 1, 2013, 03:56 PM
Can't get any less fake looking weapons, but this is hilarious- Cardboard Warfare: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hE-ZmwATS8E

USAF_Vet
November 1, 2013, 05:36 PM
Can't get any less fake looking weapons, but this is hilarious- Cardboard Warfare: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hE-ZmwATS8E
That is awesome.

Ash
November 2, 2013, 01:13 PM
I read a book - can't recall, just some kind of pulp fiction - where two doctors determined a knife wound came from a bayonet...yeah...right.

One thing you always know is that the guy with the flame thrower is going to take a bullet and explode. Ditto for the black guy in most horror movies - no matter how great the guy is, he's going to get it.

ChaoSS
November 2, 2013, 01:25 PM
That was done well enough, but you could tell the guns were fake, the guy handed off the pistol to the other guy, and there was no "click-click". Always a dead giveaway that the guns being handled are not real. Special effects people really need to learn to duplicate that properly.

xfyrfiter
November 2, 2013, 01:26 PM
Now that was hilarious.

mugsie
November 2, 2013, 07:45 PM
Watch out guys, Obummer will probably sign yet another executive order outlawing cardboard guns, and especially high cap cardboard magazines! Can't have people buying cardboard bullets now can we?

Ash
November 2, 2013, 08:22 PM
Worse, imagine the mayhem when it is discovered we can simply print them out on card stock....

Phaedrus/69
November 4, 2013, 06:24 AM
In Shooter the shot-through-the-eye was right towards the end when they were in the mountains/snow. Marky Mark is hidden, looking for the BGs as the BBEG's chopper was just landing.

Phaedrus/69
November 4, 2013, 06:28 AM
Here's a link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKEihcQaa_g) to that scene in Shooter. The bullet-thru-the-scope kill is at about 43 seconds.

Warp
November 4, 2013, 09:41 PM
Good catch/video link. Sure enough...there it is.

And I forgot how choppy that movie was with the cut scenes

If you enjoyed reading about "What do you think is the worst guntrope in media?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!