Interesting Gun Movie: Breaker Morant

PDA

Nightcrawler
March 24, 2004, 09:27 PM
Watched in my Literature and Film class this evening. Interesting to see a movie about the Boer War in 1901. Lots of Lee-Enfield Rifles, a Webley revolver or two, and even a water cooled machine gun of some fashion (guessing it was a Vickers).

Combat was portrayed well. Even with bolt-action rifles, war wasn't any less brutal...

If you enjoyed reading about "Interesting Gun Movie: Breaker Morant" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
zahc
March 24, 2004, 09:44 PM
I had to watch it in school too, it was good.

Greg L
March 24, 2004, 09:48 PM
Along the same general location/time frame, Zulu is a good one. I've actually recently seen it in dvd in the clearance bin in the local mega mart for $5.

Gordy Wesen
March 25, 2004, 12:00 AM
Breaker Morant is a great movie.

Josey
March 25, 2004, 12:03 AM
IIRC, there was almost 20 years difference between Zulu and Breaker Morant. I enjoyed both of them.

Unlucky
March 25, 2004, 12:13 AM
1879 vs. 1901, so the difference is only a bit more than 20 years.

Anyone got the rule .303 quote?

Wildalaska
March 25, 2004, 01:51 AM
Try and get a copy of the book the movie was based on "Scapegoats of the Empire"..ya think that guns are expensive.?

WildcollectsstufflikethatAlaska

Josey
March 25, 2004, 02:12 AM
OOPS! I meant to put 20. The error in Zulu is a sneaky thing. When the Zulus are about to charge, the British form into two ranks. The first rank is to fire, drop and reload. The second rank performs the same action after the first rank. They rotate over and over. If you are sharp-eyed, you can spot the bolt action Enfields!! Martini-Henry was the issue weapon at that point. I guess they needed a large volume of fire and the Martini-Henry wasn't dramatic enough.

entropy
March 25, 2004, 03:56 AM
Gotta love the Victorian decorum of handing a prisoner scheduled to be executed a rifle, and asking for it back after the battle.:p
[Gun show 'expert' mode] "everyone knows that the the XNo1 Mk1 Lee-Enfield was issued to Co. A of the 24th Regt. of Foot. That's why they are in the movie Zulu."[/Gun show 'expert' mode]
Great movies both. :D

Dollar Bill
March 25, 2004, 06:04 PM
Great movies, both "Breaker Morant" and "Zulu". I like the line in "Breaker Morant" when asked what rule of war he applied to captured enemy the reply was that they "applied rule .303"

It's been a while since I've seen it but weren't the rifles used Lee Metfords?

There are a lot of good movies out there but a whole lot more trash.

Fudgie Ghost
March 25, 2004, 07:12 PM
Breaker Morant: Great Movie, one of my all time faves.

nvrquit
March 25, 2004, 08:12 PM
... "The Lighthorsemen"

Even a little later in time, 1917 I believe. Good movie, with a good cast of Aussie actors.

Guy B. Meredith
March 26, 2004, 12:27 AM
Don't watch Breaker Morant with an Aussie wife. We saw it in the theater and as we left my Aussie wife, Julie, said through clenched teeth, "No wonder the Aussies hate the Pomey b*****ds." Glad there were no Brits obvious and glad Julie didn't have any sort of weapon.

Too good a movie for me to be able to handle emotionally twice.

Jiml3
March 26, 2004, 12:31 PM
Breaker Morant is a great movie. For another great Aussie movie, try
"Gallopoli". It's a true story about how the Brits sacrificed thousands
of Aussie soldiers to create a diversion to protect the British from suffering large casualties. It's a very sore point with Australians still.
If you can't find the movie, go to a library and read up on it.

JimL3

Viking6
March 26, 2004, 12:54 PM
We had to watch "Breaker Morant" in OCS as part of the training on ethics, Laws of Land Warfare, etc. We also studied the My Lai incident and did a staff ride to the Andersonville prison camp, all that same week. Intersting the term and practice of the "concentration camp" came about during the Boer War, IIRC.

BigG
March 26, 2004, 01:22 PM
not to take away from Breaker Morant, which I liked, but a good view of British ineptitude can be seen in both Charge of the Light Brigade and Zulu Dawn.

If you have any illusions about British commanders who are unsuited for leadership, these two films will undermine it.

Charge of the Light Brigade (http://www.epinions.com/content_89267867268)

Zulu Dawn (http://www.epinions.com/content_128751472260)

BowStreetRunner
March 26, 2004, 03:33 PM
the rule .303 quote is a great line

and the lighthorsemen is also a great film, check it out if you havent
BSR

Eskimo Jim
March 26, 2004, 03:53 PM
Nightcrawler,
Breaker Morant is one of my favorite war movies of all time. The younger Lt, I forget his name, eventually was released from prison, returned to Australia, became a lawyer and wrote "Scapegoats of the Empire".

Also, if you are interested in the Boer War, there is a book called "The Boer War" by Thomas Pakenham. It's worth a read.

I found the Boer War interesting because it was one of the first 'modern' wars and introduced the brutal concept of concentration camps, using hostages to prevent attacks, the whole concept of mobile warfare etc.

If you can, try to find some or Morant's poetry. That's worth a read.

-Jim

If you enjoyed reading about "Interesting Gun Movie: Breaker Morant" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!