Foam for Pelican Case

PDA

giggitygiggity
October 1, 2013, 11:03 PM
Hi, I need to order some foam for a Pelican case. There are a bunch of different types of foams. What kind most nearly emulates the foam in Pelican cases? Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "Foam for Pelican Case" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ColtPythonElite
October 1, 2013, 11:12 PM
You want closed cell. It won't hold moisture.

CB900F
October 2, 2013, 11:44 PM
Fella's;

I'm interested in the answer to this one too. My hard case foam became contaminated & the foam has to be replaced. I've got it out of the case, and had to clean the case, some of the crud started pitting the aluminum! I'm not sure what got in there, and I don't care really, just as long as it's g-o-n-e. However, I've had no luck in trying to find replacement foam at anything like a sane price. I got quoted almost as much ($120.00) for the foam as I paid for the case - $150.00. That's just nuts!

I'm making do with my soft cases at this time, there's no urgency, but I'd like to get the project completed. I'd also like to find a source of foam that doesn't finance somebody else's African safari.

900F

ColtPythonElite
October 2, 2013, 11:52 PM
You can get quality closed cell foam at Johann Fabrics. A 50% off coupon is easy to find.

taliv
October 3, 2013, 05:37 PM
no kidding. that foam is ridiculous.

giggitygiggity
October 6, 2013, 10:44 AM
I've been doing some research elsewhere and it looks like Pelican actually uses open-cell foam. The closed-cell foam is better because it doesn't hold moisture, but closed cell firm is usually super firm and moisture generally isn't an issue unless you plan to store your firearms or other valuables in the case. My case will be used for transport and not storage. www.foambymail.com is where I will likely get the foam. Their prices are reasonable and they can even custom cut.

Longhorn 76
October 6, 2013, 08:10 PM
I looked in the phone book for "packaging" and found several local places that make foam for cases. They gave some odd pieces.

On An Island
October 7, 2013, 12:52 PM
Pelican offers both types of foam - open and closed cell. You can tell the difference by the approx. $100 price difference in the cases when new. The 1750 on the bottom right has the closed cell....

Pelican 1750 Gun Case (http://www.casesbypelican.com/pelican_1750.htm)

OpticsPlanet
October 7, 2013, 01:54 PM
If you're interested in factory replacement foam, replace the zero at the end with a "1", for example, a 1750 would use 1751 foam:

http://www.opticsplanet.com/pelican-1751-original-3-pc-replacement-foam-set-1750.html

Mark H.

If you enjoyed reading about "Foam for Pelican Case" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!