S&W 22A Sight Suggestions

PDA

Old Yeller
October 4, 2013, 05:55 PM
Looking for a laser sight for my 22A. any experience from those who own one and use a sight? If you have a pic of yours mounted to your gun, that would be most helpful too.

I'm looking for something inexpensive. not expecting to use it for any competition reasons or things like that. just fun at the range or general plinking with friends.

thanks in advance!

If you enjoyed reading about "S&W 22A Sight Suggestions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Old Yeller
October 7, 2013, 11:21 AM
did I post this in the wrong location? Not even any negative responses? lol :confused:

Fishbed77
October 7, 2013, 01:24 PM
A laser sight is going to be tough to mount to a S&W 22A, since the mounting rail is on top of the pistol. It is not desirable to mount a laser there as it will prevent you from actually seeing the target. Lasers are typically mounted below the pistol forward of the trigger guard. This would require modification to the pistol to mount some kind of accessory rail in that location. A vastly better option would be a red dot sight.

A good red-dot option for a rimfire would be something like a Burris Fastfire II or III.

Old Yeller
October 7, 2013, 09:50 PM
Thank you for the input. I have heard of the burris and understand it is really great. However, at that price, the sight is more than I paid for the gun. Is there any other options in that type of sight that would work for my lower end needs. I've seen several in the $20-40 range and I'm sure I would get what I paid for with those. Are there any others in a reasonable price range of perhaps under $100 that would be a good option?

Fishbed77
October 7, 2013, 10:49 PM
Many prefer the "open" style red dots like the Burris Fastfire for pistols. It's at the low end of what you would consider for a centerfire pistol, but is just about perfect for rimfires like the 22A. (If you think it's expensive, take a look at the Trijicon RMR or Leupold Delta Point!) Don't even bother with the $20-40 options (garbage like NCStar, Barska or the like). You are just throwing your money away - money better spent on ammo or saving for a better red dot.

If you want a "tube" style red dot, the Bushnell TRS-25 is a good option. They can be had for around $80.

gidaeon
October 7, 2013, 11:54 PM
A trs-25 can be had for under $70 shipped on amazon right now. I just picked up another for $63 shipped via warehousedeals to put on a .22 pistol.

Old Yeller
October 8, 2013, 03:41 PM
I've shot a friend's 22 with an open type red dot, but not one seen or used any like the trs-25. How do you like using it?

If you enjoyed reading about "S&W 22A Sight Suggestions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!