Military History/Weapons Book Series from the 70s

PDA

Jack19
February 4, 2003, 02:20 PM
Do any of you remember a series of paperback books, published in the early-mid-70s, that covered just about all aspects of WW2?

From individual weapons to vehicles to commanders to battles, each book covered one topic, and retailed for, if I remember right, $1.00.

They were about 3/8 to half an inch thick, maybe 5"x8".

I'm trying to find a source.

If you enjoyed reading about "Military History/Weapons Book Series from the 70s" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
RON in PA
February 4, 2003, 02:40 PM
Got a pile of them high up in one of my closets, and no they are not for sale. Some times at gun shows or at used book stores you will see them.

Jack19
February 4, 2003, 02:45 PM
Ron, who published them? What was the name of the series?

Mike Irwin
February 4, 2003, 04:00 PM
I think they were Ballantine.

My Father a few years ago completed assembling the ENTIRE set.

Something like 200 titles.

These books didn't just cover WW II, either. Some addressed WW I, and other subjects.

Hkmp5sd
February 4, 2003, 04:18 PM
It was Ballantine's Illustrated History of the Violent Century.

Sure miss that $1 price printed on the cover.

Jack19
February 4, 2003, 04:49 PM
THANK YOU!!!! This is why this is the best board on the Net.

I've been driving myself crazy trying to remember.

:D

Joe Gunns
February 4, 2003, 09:57 PM
Check out www.abebooks.com. Using the advanced search feature you can search by title, publisher keywords, etc., and have the results printed out from lowest to highest price. Unfortunately, even used prices are unlikely to be as cheap as $1.

Ballantine Illustrated History of World War II was another series.

Dave Markowitz
February 4, 2003, 10:37 PM
Got a pile of them high up in one of my closets, and no they are not for sale. Some times at gun shows or at used book stores you will see them.

That's right. They're mine.

:D

Flatfender
February 4, 2003, 11:15 PM
Try Ebay. Looks like a few of 'em on there. $5 each or so.

http://search-desc.ebay.com/search/search.dll?MfcISAPICommand=GetResult&query=Ballantine%27s+Illustrated+History+of+the+Violent+Century&cgiurl=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.com%2Fws%2F&ht=1&from=R10&currdisp=2&itemtimedisp=1&st=2&SortProperty=MetaEndSort&srchdesc=y&BasicSearch=

If you enjoyed reading about "Military History/Weapons Book Series from the 70s" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!