Big pictures

PDA

SteelyDan
March 25, 2004, 01:33 AM
My monitor is set for 1024x768 pixels, which I assume is fairly standard. If it's not fairly standard, I'd guess it's closer to the "high end" than the "low end," but I'm fairly clueless here.

In any event, my observation is that there are a great many posters here who post pictures that fit right into my screen (which is good), and a very few who seem to post big pictures that don't fit my screen (which is bad) and which also seem to stretch out the text in their posts so that one has to scroll to the right to read their comments.

Almost without exception, these are good photos and good text, but it's irritating to have to scroll right (and then back left, and then right, and then left, etc.) to read the text and see the photos.

Is there some way the displayed size of the photos can be kept on the "main page" without having to scroll (and re-scroll and re-re-scroll) to see or read it all?

On a 1 to 10 scale of things to worry about, this is about a "1," but it's bugged me for awhile so I thought I'd mention it.

This is a great site, and I'm almost sorry for bringing this up, but if I were in charge I'd want this brought to my attention.

If you enjoyed reading about "Big pictures" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Mal H
March 25, 2004, 04:39 PM
Trust me, Steely Dan, the huge pics are brought to our attention every time we open a thread containing one, just like you. There's nothing we can do about them. If a link is supplied by a member, we don't have the capability to analyze it for proper picture size. I'm not sure we would want to do that anyway. We do limit attachment sizes, but more for saving storage space than for picture size.

Are you viewing threads with the big pictures with your browser on full screen? I haven't found many pictures that won't fit if you do that at the display res you are using (I use 1280 x 1024, but I think they'll still fit in 1M x 768). When you're done with that thread, go back to a smaller window if you wish.

SteelyDan
March 26, 2004, 12:57 AM
Aw shoot, and I thought I was the first person to raise an issue that had been noticed by all, but mentioned by none.

Thanks for the answer, Mal. There are some discrete areas where I know a little about computers, and many more areas where I'm pretty ignorant. I'll check into the monitor settings thing.

If you enjoyed reading about "Big pictures" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!