Force on Force teamplay competition?

PDA

Rushthezeppelin
October 5, 2013, 12:41 AM
So I just ran across the force on force videos on youtube and am very intrigued. Never got too interested in paintball or airsoft but this looks like a really fun way to run Counter Strike style matches that can get some pretty good realism. Does anyone actually run competitions like this, and if not anyone in Texas want to help me look at the logistics on this : P

Maybe its just the gamer in me trying to come out but this seems like it could make for the ultimate RL gaming scenario...

If you enjoyed reading about "Force on Force teamplay competition?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Blue Thunder
October 7, 2013, 06:44 PM
Years ago I did alot of Paintball with my brother and a small group of others. We did two major Scenario's at a MOUNT Camp in Florida. That is where you get to play in a small city that has lots of buildings, apartments, city hall, and tunnels between places. Teams are divided into two and one team goes into the city and the other tries to take the city including folks in the two story school building. This has now moved into Force on Force in Gun Fighting Courses offered by several company's out there. Some do at their place, and others travel around the country. The current Force on Force is with Air-Soft guns that look like and function just like your 1911, Glock, Sig, S&W. This is part of the course as the rest of it is Getting off the X and shooting the BG to the ground on a 360 Degree Range where all guns are loaded all the time and there is no Unload and Show Clear. Google is your friend to locate these schools. I have taken 5 and 1 Alumni Reunion.

Sam1911
October 7, 2013, 06:56 PM
MOUNT That would be MOUT. Military Operations in Urban Terrain.

Force-on-force training can be extremely valuable. But it isn't competition, and I don't see how it could be and remain meaningful, as the purpose is to work though social and potentially violent situations in the best way you can. A competition would have to have some kind of declared "winner," and force-on-force training really doesn't work that way. No "beat the timer" or "capture the flag" or "last man standing" aspect to it. That would render it absurd.

A group I'm pretty familiar with has run force-on-force work in a very serious way for several decades. There is no score. No winner. There is a debriefing and an analysis of what went wrong and what went right after each scenario. It is not a competition but a subject of study and contemplation.

Squeezing it into a competition format it simply becomes another version of airsoft or paintball scene, and those who've experienced real training and looked in on the as/pb worlds will realize just what an unfortunate and damaging thing that would be. Basically, what you're describing sounds exactly like the airsoft wars as they're usually "played." No reason you can't do that if you want to. However, that's not an area THR's scope covers.

rockhopper46038
October 7, 2013, 07:08 PM
I have very much enjoyed the airsoft FoF training I've undergone. It does make you rethink your conceptions (or misconceptions) of how you may react to dynamic situations.

hso
October 7, 2013, 07:34 PM
If you're not talking about force on force training, but setting up an airsoft based combat game THR isn't the place for the discussion. There are plenty of airsoft game groups out there that do this and that the topic can be discussed with.

If you're thinking that Counter Strike played in the real world with airsoft has any value from a FoF training standpoint for civilians, it doesn't.

Fred Fuller
October 7, 2013, 09:50 PM
In genuine force on force training, the only person you're competing with is yourself.

9mmepiphany
October 7, 2013, 11:32 PM
I've done FonF with both Submunitions and AirSoft and it certainly isn't a game or even competitive...and shouldn't be.

The purpose of FonF training is to test your reactions under stress, try out the validity of techniques and, most importantly...to be observed, evaluated, and to learn from the performances

If you enjoyed reading about "Force on Force teamplay competition?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!