Problem with Tapatalk?

PDA

docnyt
October 7, 2013, 04:05 AM
I'm not sure if it's my particular setup. I'm experiencing slow or just plain non refreshing new topics when browsing THR on Tapatalk. Often I would have to delete THR from my favorites, search for it, then log in again. Currently using iPhone 5 on iOS7, latest Tapatalk version.

I know I can still browse using Safari but I've gotten used to Tapatalk. Anybody else having the same issue?

If you enjoyed reading about "Problem with Tapatalk?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
LemmyCaution
October 7, 2013, 09:41 AM
I'm having the same problem. And it only happens with THR. Other forums work just fine, so it doesn't seem to be a problem with the client.

The problem seems to be that my THR account is being automatically logged out after a time of inactivity. When I open Tapatalk again, the App can't log back in. The Tapatalk profile for THR must be deleted and rebuilt before Tapatalk can log back into the forum.

But the odd thing is that, though I am logged out, I can't even view the forum as a guest on Tapatalk. It's like I'm halfway logged in. I have the option to view unread threads and participated threads, but the data doesn't update from my last login.

I'm using the latest version of the free Tapatalk client on IOS 7.02 with an iPhone 5.

Derek Zeanah
October 7, 2013, 11:23 AM
I don't really have an answer for you, guys. I installed Tapatalk on the board itself, but I don't use it and haven't noticed the problem.

I'll check and make sure our software version is up to date, and if that doesn't work I'll try installing a branded version of Tapatalk instead (something that's been on my to-do list for a while, just really far down it.)

I'll post back if I can come up with something.

Derek Zeanah
October 7, 2013, 11:59 AM
OK folks, looks like there was an update to the Tapatalk client, but I didn't receive a notification.

Try it now and let me know if it's working.

Derek Zeanah
October 7, 2013, 03:09 PM
OK, we've had at least one new post via Tapatalk since my last post, so I'll assume this is fixed unless someone tells me otherwise.

I also turned off the Tapatalk signature function, because I'm pretty sure nobody wants to see that anyway...

Derek Zeanah
October 7, 2013, 03:14 PM
.....and I downloaded Tapatalk and it's working as it should be.

docnyt
October 7, 2013, 05:17 PM
I'm posting from Tapatalk now. I'll see how the rest of the app functions. Thanks for looking into this Derek.

LemmyCaution
October 7, 2013, 09:43 PM
Derek-

The update seems to have fixed the issue. Thanks for your time and care.

-LC

docnyt
October 7, 2013, 10:45 PM
Seems to be working. Haven't tried posting pics yet since I haven't encountered the need to.

Thanks again.

yzguy87
October 8, 2013, 01:09 AM
Just downloaded taptalk and this is my first post with it. It's different. May take some getting used to but it seems to be working so far!

Boostedtwo
October 8, 2013, 10:57 AM
its up and working for me now as well.

Mat, not doormat
October 8, 2013, 06:49 PM
Now tapatalk for android seems to have croaked. Or at least tapatalk for my android. I tried redownloading the app, but it's still giving me the failed to contact the forum, if this persists contact the admin message.

Derek Zeanah
October 8, 2013, 07:21 PM
Now tapatalk for android seems to have croaked. Or at least tapatalk for my android. I tried redownloading the app, but it's still giving me the failed to contact the forum, if this persists contact the admin message.
I don't know. I just connected with the Tapatalk version I downloaded yesterday and it worked fine.

I think they changed the client so that it needed new server software, and the new server software isn't necessarily compatible with old clients. Or at least, that's what it looks like from here.

GlowinPontiac
October 8, 2013, 09:53 PM
I'm on Android and Tapatalk is not working for me. Gives me a "failed to connect" error.

EDIT: its working now. May have been a temporary issue.

Mat, not doormat
October 9, 2013, 04:16 AM
Seems to be working again.

docnyt
October 9, 2013, 04:33 AM
It's been an intermittent problem the past 2 days. Looks like it's working again.

WardenWolf
October 9, 2013, 12:23 PM
I call it Crapatalk. It's not worth using. The old unauthorized Android app was actually far better. It used Forum Runner as its base.

tnxdshooter
October 10, 2013, 06:09 AM
Mine is still not working.

Derek Zeanah
October 10, 2013, 09:02 AM
Mine is still not working.
Have you tried reinstalling the app?

Here's what I saw through all this: A couple of users were having problems using Tapatalk.
I checked Tapatalk and it turns out the server-side software had been updated, which was causing the problem. So I updated.
Now the folks with the original complaint could connect, but other people who'd been using Tapatalk for a while started having trouble.To me, this suggests that the newest Tapatalk client is only really compatible with the newest Tapatalk server-side software, which we're running.

If there's a new version, try updating.

tnxdshooter
October 11, 2013, 05:29 AM
Have you tried reinstalling the app?

Here's what I saw through all this:
A couple of users were having problems using Tapatalk.
I checked Tapatalk and it turns out the server-side software had been updated, which was causing the problem. So I updated.
Now the folks with the original complaint could connect, but other people who'd been using Tapatalk for a while started having trouble.
To me, this suggests that the newest Tapatalk client is only really compatible with the newest Tapatalk server-side software, which we're running.

If there's a new version, try updating.

Tried updating already no go.

The M
October 11, 2013, 01:40 PM
I'm the same as post #2. THR refuses to load frequently but all my other forums work great. Tapatalk doesn't seem to be the problem.

Derek Zeanah
October 11, 2013, 01:50 PM
I'm the same as post #2. THR refuses to load frequently but all my other forums work great. Tapatalk doesn't seem to be the problem.Do you get any sort of error message that might help diagnose the problem?

The M
October 11, 2013, 01:52 PM
No, just a dark screen with my android spinning icon that my phone gets when it's waiting on data.

tnxdshooter
October 11, 2013, 03:16 PM
No mine just works intermittently. It will say failed to connect to forum please contact forum administrator.

Derek Zeanah
October 11, 2013, 03:29 PM
No mine just works intermittently. It will say failed to connect to forum please contact forum administrator.
That's just weird.

I'll keep poking around and see if it looks to be something on my end, but everything's looking good so far...

The M
October 11, 2013, 04:52 PM
Now it's working great. Thanks for your help!

tnxdshooter
October 11, 2013, 05:17 PM
I still have to go into the tapatalj settings and clear the search history before it lets me in.

Derek Zeanah
October 11, 2013, 11:58 PM
Well, I've reached out to support. Now we'll see how long it takes them to reply.

I believe this is a Korean company; it may be that one of the IP addresses their requests originate from is blocked, and if so that would explain the intermittent nature of the problem.

We'll see.

Derek Zeanah
October 12, 2013, 09:41 AM
I don't know if it will help, but Tapatalk put out a new version this morning and it's been installed.

mdauben
October 20, 2013, 06:20 PM
I'm on Android and Tapatalk is not working for me. Gives me a "failed to connect" error.
Not sure if I'm adding anything to the discussion but I've been having the same problem on and off for the last few days. Sometimes I connect and sometimes not. I have the most current version of the software and I access several other forums with Tapatalk and I'm experiencing no problems with them, just THR.

Maybe the NSA is behind it! :p

LemmyCaution
October 20, 2013, 09:21 PM
Just checking back in here.

I'm still having an issue logging into THR with Tapatalk, though not as bad as before. Either the client is not storing my login information, or something is going wrong when the client tries to login to the server. I'm not getting any error messages, but I'm being logged in as Guest, instead of under my user name. The problem is that the client still expects that I'm logged in, which creates havoc when it tries to load my unread threads, participated threads, and PMs.

But I no longer have to delete my profile. The workaround is to go to the History sidebar and login with my credentials manually. Annoying, but tolerable.

Derek Zeanah
October 21, 2013, 07:38 AM
I'm still having an issue logging into THR with Tapatalk, though not as bad as before. Either the client is not storing my login information, or something is going wrong when the client tries to login to the server. I'm not getting any error messages, but I'm being logged in as Guest, instead of under my user name. The problem is that the client still expects that I'm logged in, which creates havoc when it tries to load my unread threads, participated threads, and PMs.

But I no longer have to delete my profile. The workaround is to go to the History sidebar and login with my credentials manually. Annoying, but tolerable.
That's actually pretty useful.

I'll use that and see if I can figure out what's going on.

HitFactor
October 21, 2013, 07:46 AM
I've been having the same problems others have described. Sometimes I receive a message failed to connect contact the forum admin.

I have cleared the application cache, uninstalled tapatalk, reinstalled tapatalk, deleted the profile and created a new one and created a new user on THR.

This morning I connected without a problem, but yesterday I gave up.

Running on a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 from Verizon.

Derek Zeanah
October 21, 2013, 09:39 AM
I've been having the same problems others have described. Sometimes I receive a message failed to connect contact the forum admin.

I have cleared the application cache, uninstalled tapatalk, reinstalled tapatalk, deleted the profile and created a new one and created a new user on THR.

This morning I connected without a problem, but yesterday I gave up.

Running on a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 from Verizon.
You know, I had Tapatalk staff confirm that everything was running correctly as well.

This is sort of frustrating from my end.

Sapper771
October 21, 2013, 03:31 PM
I haven't been able to access THR from Tapatalk since last Thursday. Also deleted and reinstalled. Still getting the same message: "Failed to connect, contact admin"

allaroundhunter
October 21, 2013, 03:35 PM
I'm having the same problems with both my iPhone and iPad. Sometimes it works, and other times it won't connect regardless of what I do.

Derek Zeanah
October 21, 2013, 05:54 PM
Well, I've tried something different.

Let me know if you continue to see this issue after the time/date on this post. Odds are you will, so I don't need 20 replies. ;)

Thanks.

Edited: never mind. I'm still getting intermittent "can't connect to your site" messages from the Tapatalk control panel, so something else is going on.

HitFactor
October 21, 2013, 07:22 PM
I don't know if this helps. If i force close Tapatalk on my Android phone, application manager, tapatalk, force close, I am able to reconnect.

I skso noticed that when I change from wireless to 4g it always fails to connect.

Derek Zeanah
October 22, 2013, 01:09 PM
OK, try it NOW and let's see if it's still breaking.

(I turned off some caching for guests which is non-standard. Something non-standard is probably breaking this, so...)

allaroundhunter
October 22, 2013, 03:49 PM
I don't know if this is just me, but now when I get on Tapatalk (just happened since your last change, Derek) I don't have the option of viewing "unread" topics.

allaroundhunter
October 22, 2013, 03:51 PM
Anddd disregard that last post, now it is all showing up.

Derek Zeanah
October 23, 2013, 11:15 AM
Is Tapatalk working normally today? Or is it still demonstrating problems?

tnxdshooter
October 23, 2013, 11:49 AM
Is Tapatalk working normally today? Or is it still demonstrating problems?

Still intermittent problems unless I clear my search history.

allaroundhunter
October 23, 2013, 02:03 PM
Mine's working well

HitFactor
October 23, 2013, 03:43 PM
No problems here. Thanks.

Derek Zeanah
October 24, 2013, 01:53 PM
I've installed a new version of tapatalk, and have created a new thread:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=732705

Let's continue the discussion there.

If you enjoyed reading about "Problem with Tapatalk?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!