Places to shoot in NJ and things to do

PDA

Rob62
March 25, 2004, 08:05 AM
I will be in the Garden State (New Jersey) for a few weeks on business. I did a web search and found the following shooting ranges: Atlantic Firearms Training Facility on Betsy Scull Rd, Egg Harbor and Stafford Forge WMA, S. of Warren Grove in Little Egg Harbor.

Does anyone here shoot at either of these places and care to comment about them? I'm looking for places that aren't to far from Atlantic City or Egg Harbor. My week ends should be free and I might as well get a little shooting time in while there.

Any "must do" touristy things I need to look at while there? I'll have my car so mobility should be no problem. But don't want to drive all over the state looking for stuff to do and see.

TIA,
Rob

If you enjoyed reading about "Places to shoot in NJ and things to do" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Dannyboy
March 25, 2004, 08:30 AM
The Atlantic County range requires a membership, as well as proof of training. If you don't have that proof you have to take their training classes which cost $25. And then after you jump through the hoops you get to shoot with some gung-ho cop standing over your shoulder, babysitting the whole time. It's too much of a hassle for me to bother with that place. As for the other range, I believe it's a state run range and they only allow shotgun, rimfire, and archery. I'm not sure about that though, so don't take it as gospel.

PS Unless it's totally necessary, avoid this state like the plague. You should also look into state law regarding bringing in firearms.

geekWithA.45
March 25, 2004, 09:59 AM
Rob, be careful here, the law can be pretty hostile to out of staters bringing in firearms, except under a set of very narrow competition related exceptions.

The main problem is that the law basically bans posession of firearms unless an exemption can be shown in your specific case, as an affirmative defense.

The exemptions are basically posession in your residence, on a range, hunting, or locked in your trunk directly to or from such a place.

Temporary residence is ambiguous at best.

Whatever you do:

NO HOLLOWPOINTS.

NO GUNS ON THE STATE "AW" LIST

NO MAGS >15 rounds.

UNLOADED, SECURELY CASED, IN TRUNK, SEPARATED FROM AMMO

And I'm not even convinced that any of that will save you, should you be discovered.

I wish I could offer some better news, but I can't.

WT
March 25, 2004, 10:12 AM
1. Go to Philadelphia and see the Liberty Bell. Eat a genuine Philly cheesesteak, extra grease. Stop for a drink at the Retired Surfers Bar on South Street.
2. While there, take a ferry across the Delaware River and tour the battleship USS NEW JERSEY.
3. From AC, drive up to Bay Head, park your car, take the train into New York City.
4. Go visit the Statue of Liberty. Take a free ride on the Staten Island ferry. Go to the top of the Empire State Building. Walk across the Brooklyn Bridge.
5. Pay respects at Ground Zero.
6. Picket the UN Building.
7. Lots of stuff.

PaladinX13
March 25, 2004, 10:37 AM
Actually, that's the best thing about NJ (tourist-wise)... its proximity to NYC, Philly, and the shore without actually having to be/stay at any of those places. Washington D.C. (cherry blossom season is soon if that's your sorta thing) & Baltimore are just day trips away too.

Weather's kinda crazy here right now, but if you should catch a warm streak, check out the shore and do some pier fishing while catching an East Coast sunrise.

Mikul
March 25, 2004, 12:22 PM
While driving in NJ, you will see only three road signs

1) New York City
2) Philadelphia
3) Shore Points

No one actually wants to go anywhere else.

TallPine
March 25, 2004, 12:44 PM
There is something to do in New Jersey ...... :confused:

:D

Nathaniel Firethorn
March 25, 2004, 12:51 PM
http://www.weirdnj.com/

Also, if you like birdwatching, there's the Barnegat National Wildlife Refuge close by.

- pdmoderator

Rob62
March 25, 2004, 06:48 PM
Thanks for all the advise. Unfortunately I have to go to NJ on business and not going is not an option. I wish it was! I'm not to concerend about the gun laws. I know the secret hand shake should I run into LEOs ;-). FWIW -I will comply with all Federal, State, and City gun laws while traveling in and around NJ.

Dannyboy - I've got my NRA pistol instructor certification that I'll have with me as well as other proof of training, hopefully that will suffice for using the Atlantic County range. Unless NJ or they require something unique I should be alright.

PaladinX13 - There's no way I plan on going into NYC. I lived in upstate NY for 3 years and never went into the city, I don't plan on doing it now. I've spent a few nights at the Crown Plaza hotel just accross the street from Laguardia Airport. That's as close as I want to get. As to Washington DC, I've been there quite a bit so probably will not make it there.

I hadn't really thought about Philadelphia. I'll try to get there at least on one week end. The Liberty Bell is something I definetly would like to see.

Pier fishing sounds like fun. I'll see if I can fit a rod and reel in the back of my car along with all my other junk. I'm sure there's always someplace I can rent one if it will not fit.

Rob

SodiumBenzoate
March 25, 2004, 06:57 PM
What I would suggest would be to drive around an hour west (a little less) into Bucks County, and see Washington's Crossing (where he crossed the river into Trenton), then continue down to Philly (Not that far) and see the Liberty Bell.

Oh, and there are also numerous gun ranges in both Bucks County and Philly.

If you enjoyed reading about "Places to shoot in NJ and things to do" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!