Of the guns you've sold

PDA

Jrob24
October 9, 2013, 12:34 AM
Of all the guns you've ever personally owned and then sold, which is the most common reason for why you sold them?

If you enjoyed reading about "Of the guns you've sold" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
texashunter
October 9, 2013, 12:39 AM
Another gun interest won out normally.

mr.scott
October 9, 2013, 12:41 AM
Money. I sold several thousand dollars worth this year to raise money for a new house.

303tom
October 9, 2013, 12:41 AM
Never Sold a Gun !....................I Buy Guns !

87hurricane
October 9, 2013, 12:58 AM
I get bored easily, sell them off to make money for new ones. Doesn't happen nearly as often now that I've found what I really want/like. Pretty much everything I have now is a keeper, slowly working on expanding the collection now.

Lucky Derby
October 9, 2013, 01:01 AM
Normally it's another gun that interests me more at the time.

Kayaker 1960
October 9, 2013, 01:06 AM
I've sold a few guns because they weren't accurate enough. Un-accurate guns are boring. I also sold a really nice Colt Combat Commander. Beautiful gun, though relatively expensive to buy and shoot and didn't do anything better than other guns I own.

fanchisimo
October 9, 2013, 01:11 AM
I voted needed money, but I don't think I ever got bored of any of the guns I sold, I am limited to sell something to get something.

TennJed
October 9, 2013, 01:44 AM
Got bored of it is the closest but doesn't really fit. All of them was a "trade up". Not that I was bored with it, just used it to get something I wanted more

AethelstanAegen
October 9, 2013, 02:11 AM
I tried out a whole bunch of different types until I found my niche (ie the guns that I really enjoyed shooting). The rest are being sold off as they weren't seeing much use and they money could be better spent on the types I enjoy more.

230RN
October 9, 2013, 02:46 AM
Usually to trade up or I've given many away. I still have roughly 75 %.

evan price
October 9, 2013, 03:20 AM
Bought at good price, needed money. Always buying if price is right. Guns are a better investment than the stock market lately.

RetiredUSNChief
October 9, 2013, 03:21 AM
I sold a 1911 to a friend in the Navy.

Why?

I had picked it up from someone else in the Navy for a song...one of those deals that was too good to pass up. Bought it for $200.

I already had a 1911 platform, however (Colt 1991A1) and didn't really need another one. A shipmate didn't have a gun, and there I was sitting on one I didn't really need.

So I sold it to him for what I paid.

If it had been my only 1911, I likely wouldn't have given it up like that.

Robert
October 9, 2013, 06:30 AM
Needed money to pay bills so I sold my FAL to a friend but I was able to buy it back a few years later.

yzguy87
October 9, 2013, 06:37 AM
Needed money for another toy or bills

Midwest
October 9, 2013, 08:19 AM
Sold it to buy another one.

Grassman
October 9, 2013, 08:21 AM
Never really sold guns, traded a few.

Ranger Roberts
October 9, 2013, 09:07 AM
Out of all of my guns I have only gotten rid of one. I'll say one word and all of you guys will know why: Jennings

tarosean
October 9, 2013, 09:25 AM
99% of the time is because I dont "click with it" generally it's because of a crappy trigger.

Course there are a few that were perfectly fine in every aspect but I didnt care for them for some reason.

mavracer
October 9, 2013, 09:31 AM
I decide I want something else

bannockburn
October 9, 2013, 09:37 AM
Needed the money, either to pay for something like school, help finance some bigger purchase (home improvements, etc.), or else to buy another gun.

cfullgraf
October 9, 2013, 09:45 AM
In 40 years of a shooting hobby, I have only sold one gun. It was a Springfield P9C that would shoot itself to pieces in a few hundred rounds. Springfield abandoned supporting it making it an orphan. (one of the reasons I always say "Things are used for a reason.")

Proceeds funded the purchase of a Colt 38 Super M1911.

Fortunately, I have not had to scavenge my collection to be able to eat, keep a roof over my head or keep shoes on the kids.

Madcap_Magician
October 9, 2013, 09:50 AM
Usually because I've bought a gun that fits a niche smaller than I can afford, if that makes sense.

I got in on the last run of Saxony Police import P7s for cheap, but I sold it when I realized that while it was a valuable gun, well made, and unique, it didn't fill enough roles to justify owning it, and I can't really afford to just collect guns. Likewise my Beretta 92A1. I'm not in the service anymore, but there was that nostalgia. But it was too big to carry, and I can't afford to have a gun that's just a range toy, so...

I have three guns right now- a subcompact carry gun, a carry/HD gun, and a .22 rifle. That's all I can really afford to have right now, and I can't afford to shoot the ones I have as much as I would like.

RFMan
October 9, 2013, 09:52 AM
I tried out a whole bunch of different types until I found my niche (ie the guns that I really enjoyed shooting). The rest are being sold off as they weren't seeing much use and they money could be better spent on the types I enjoy more.
That's my MO. Sometimes I have bought a firearm, only to find out I don't like something about it. If I don't shoot it, I don't keep it. No safe queens :) I don't always discern this while handling in the store; it takes firing, and there is basically very little that one can rent at a range around here (most of my local ranges don't have rentals). And at least up until now, when they do go, it is to fund something else I have become interested in.

jonnyc
October 9, 2013, 10:01 AM
Just didn't like it that much.

The Bushmaster
October 9, 2013, 10:14 AM
I started buying firearms when I was 18. I'm 70 now and I still own my first firearm. Have never sold any or traded any.

tomrkba
October 9, 2013, 10:18 AM
I usually needed money in the past. Selling the gun never helped much.

Many of the other guns I have sold didn't pan out for some reason. Sometimes it had an annoying feature such as a bad grip, gritty trigger or the magazines were too expensive. Sometimes the gun did not shoot well. Most problems become apparent in training.

Spartacus
October 9, 2013, 10:18 AM
Bored. Sold a Taurus "Slim" and Cobra Derringer to the same guy. That paid for a tank of gas, Taco Bell drive thru and NIB Ruger MKIII. Those are the only guns I've ever sold and I have no regrets.

Arkansas Paul
October 9, 2013, 10:20 AM
I have done very little selling but the few times I have it was to fund other gun/shooting related projects. The one time I sold one that wasn't for that was when I was younger. I sold a Remington Model 11 in 16 gauge to fund a trip to Talledega for the race. Stupid I know. At least I sold it to my dad and I can still shoot it. :)

Now I have done quiet a bit of trading, but that's not what you asked.

xxjumbojimboxx
October 9, 2013, 10:25 AM
I like selling them... i like meeting new poeple in the community... i sell most of the trade fodder i get... usually the cash value of something traded is higher than the item traded itself... so ill take the money from that and buy what i want

itchy1
October 9, 2013, 12:44 PM
When I get rid of a gun, it's typically due to some type of annoyance with it. I traded my Ruger SS because I don't have the patience for the unloading process while at the range--that and the grip just didn't work for me. I sold a Walther PP because of slide bite and the fact that I hated paying more for .32 than what 9mm costs. Many of the guns I owned when I was in my early 20's were entry level type arms. I have since sold or traded most of them to get something a little nicer.

Teachu2
October 9, 2013, 01:08 PM
I've sold six guns in the last 40 years, and regretted five of the six. The only one I don't regret was the LC9.

Old Dog
October 9, 2013, 02:06 PM
I have sold guns because I've found another gun (or guns) I desire more (at the time) ... I've always attempted, when buying a gun from proceeds on one (or more) sold, to step up to better quality.

I have, though, stupidly sold some pieces that I seriously regret letting go ... every 1911 I ever sold (what was I thinking?), a couple SIGs, a couple Berettas, and several (older) S&W revolvers, and some pieces that I inherited that would now have great sentimental value, but greed got a hold of me.

I do have an LC9 currently for sale (and I'm pretty sure I won't regret letting this one go).

P5 Guy
October 9, 2013, 05:05 PM
Turned into cash for the most part, but an 'All of the Above' would have worked for me, too.

mdauben
October 9, 2013, 05:47 PM
In my whole life I've only ever sold one gun, and that was at a time I needed money for college. Even though that was over 30 years ago, I still regret letting go of that rifle. :(

Esoxchaser
October 9, 2013, 05:51 PM
Not getting enough use, it's gone.

*NOVA*
October 9, 2013, 05:57 PM
I honestly did not think I'd miss it, so I traded my model 10 in to an LGS to help pay for a more expensive gun. I will never do that again.

Grassman
October 9, 2013, 06:03 PM
One of the few guns I've sold happend to be my first gun, bought it when I was about 12 or 13. Wasn't much, a little 20 gauge single shot, can't even remember the make. I really regret that one just on sentimental value alone. Young and stupid needed a little quick cash, think I only got $60 for it.:banghead:

orionengnr
October 9, 2013, 06:12 PM
Because I can't afford to buy every thing I want...when I find something that I want, I find one to sell. I call myself a serial owner. :)

When I first got my CHL, I tried pretty much everything that I thought would work. More often than not, I soon found a) that I was wrong or b) something I liked better, so I'd sell one that I wasn't carrying, or that didn't live up to its promise...and try again. I sure got to own, carry and fire a bunch of different types of handguns, and to be honest, since I generally buy used and am a careful shopper, all that experience didn't cost me much...ammo excepted. Even the holsters got re-sold, so I don't have the boxful that so many seem to.

I have owned at least a half dozen HK P7s (first one in 1983) and I really like the design...but I don't carry them, and these days, am in general not a fan of the 9mm (and yeah, I've had two in .40).
So they end up getting sold...then, sometime later, I buy another. :rolleyes:

These days I have a better idea of what I really like, and I do a lot less horse trading. However, I upgrade from time to time. :evil:

Sometimes I'll upgrade to a similar model by a better manufacturer (e.g., selling a couple mid-grade 1911s to buy one Les Baer or Dan Wesson) or sticking with same manufacturer but buying something more suitable (for me, e.g., selling several Scandium S&W revolvers and replacing them with pre-ILS steel framed S&Ws).

My total count is not impressive, but everything I own is something that I actually carry or shoot. For the time being, or until I win the lottery (and the fact that I don't buy lottery tickets sure works against me here) I'm okay with that.

TRX
October 9, 2013, 06:20 PM
Mostly I thought I was trading up... in practice, it seldom worked out that way.

What's weird is, I once had a Charter Arms Bulldog in .44 Special. I bought it new from a sporting goods store in the next town. I remember I paid for it with a Visa card. I carried in on the job for at least three years.

I have *no* idea what happened to that gun. I've been worrying about that for weeks...

Queen_of_Thunder
October 9, 2013, 06:59 PM
Given the current situation and the overwhelming possibility that come Nov. there will be no deposit from the VA I'm left with no option.

USAF_Vet
October 9, 2013, 07:31 PM
Voted got bored with it, but it goes a little beyond that. So far, I have not sold any gun unless it was to fund a different gun.
I'll sell the one/s I shoot the least to fund a purchase of something I want more.

huntsman
October 9, 2013, 07:45 PM
lack of funds, when my kids were little I'd sell a gun if I was short Xmas money. the last few deals were trades for other guns.

snapshot762
October 9, 2013, 08:04 PM
Whenever i have sold a gun it's because i wanted another gun more than the one i was wanting to sell!

justice06rr
October 9, 2013, 08:51 PM
Majority of the time I sold them because I needed money for something else more important.

If money was not an issue and I'm filthy rich, then this problem would not arise. But obviously most of us here are probably working people that have other priorities and needs. Many times I would have an unexpected bill (car repair, home expenses, etc) that would come up so I would need to free up funds that are tied up in firearms.

The way I see it, guns you sold can always be bought again. Unless of course it is a custom or one of a kind firearm (those are the ones you hold on to).

beatledog7
October 9, 2013, 10:53 PM
100% of the times, it no longer met a need or never did and was bought on a whim.

wyohome
October 9, 2013, 11:20 PM
I have only sold one gun that I can remember. I have given some away, and sold a Rem 78 Sportsman .243 to a friend for his son.

Twiki357
October 10, 2013, 02:41 AM
I voted Other since I’ve never sold a gun, but I do have one now that I would like to sell if I could find someone as dumb as I was when I bought it. I have every one I’ve ever purchased other than two that were stolen in a burglary back in the mid 1980’s. That goes all the way back to my first one, a JC Higgins 22 rifle in the mid 1950’s.

Archie
October 12, 2013, 01:30 AM
I mostly sold guns due to an acute attack of poverty, occasioned by the onset of marriage.

Do I regret selling them? On the one hand, I did what an honorable man should and released my personal items to feed and house my wife and child.

On the other hand, we haven't enough beer or hankies to fully discuss it.

redneck2
October 12, 2013, 07:16 AM
Not getting enough use, it's gone.At one time, I thought I wanted one of every gun ever made. Had the safe overflowing. Figured out that 2/3rds of them never saw the light of day. Sold a NIB Uberti Golden Boy and Colt SAA in .44-40, an SKS, Colt Delta Elite 10mm, Ruger 77/22 in .22 Hornet. Used the money to buy stuff I'd shoot (hunt with) or target shoot.

I have a friend that I just don't understand. We're going on a varmint hunt next week. Says he can't afford a scope for his AR, but wants to take it. He has two safes full of guns, most that he's never shot and never will shoot.

I'd rather have a dozen or so that I use rather than a hundred crap guns, and none that are set up right.

Elkins45
October 12, 2013, 01:13 PM
Generally it's because the gun 'failed the audition', meaning I bought to try out and after shooting it I discovered I didn't like something. Accuracy, trigger pull, reliability---things you can't really evaluate while holding it in the shop.

20 years ago I was a frequent trader and had to let the old gun go so I could afford the new one, even if I liked the old one. Now I only sell guns that don't really suit me, or that fill a niche I don't really have a need for, or that have found themselves being dramatically outperformed buy a new acquisition.

I went on a purge after my Dad passed away and I inherited his guns. I replaced several of my guns with similar ones he left me. His 22 magnum was practically identical to mine so I kept his and let mine go. He had a beautiful Hi Standard 22 target pistol so I sold one of my 22 autos to make room.

As I get older and become more firm in my opinions about which guns I want/need/like I expect I will sell a few more.

LubeckTech
October 12, 2013, 01:24 PM
Generally to upgrade my collection.

For example I am currently working on selling my FEG P9R to help with getting a Browning HP.

Sniper66
October 12, 2013, 03:27 PM
Lots of reasons, but generally it's because it isn't meeting my current need, whatever that is at the time. Just bought an upgraded .204 and am disappointed (shoots no better than my other .204 and not as well as my .223), so it's going on the sale block before I scratch it up. Like others, I have acquired guns that later disappointed me so out it goes. Have sold dozens of guns and only regretted it once. I really enjoy the process of buying and selling. Rarely do I trade.

Inebriated
October 12, 2013, 03:43 PM
I've only sold one, which was a WASR 10/63 to help fund an Arsenal SGL-21. That worked out very well for me.

But I generally don't sell guns. I only sold the WASR to quickly get an SGL-21, since I was iffy on their future (and it looks like I made a good choice).

patmccoy
October 12, 2013, 06:57 PM
They were handguns. Not a sin to sell them, whereas it IS a sin to sell a long gun.

Bobson
October 12, 2013, 07:13 PM
I sold one because I just didn't like it much. Sold others because I needed money.

JTHunter
October 12, 2013, 08:42 PM
The only pistol I have sold (and still regret) was a Ruger 7" round-barrelled .22LR, sold to buy a .380 pistol (still have it). :(

MachIVshooter
October 12, 2013, 09:04 PM
"All of the above"

I have sold them to pay bills.

I have sold to fund or traded into something I wanted more.

I have sold for cash just becuase I didn't really want it anymore.

I sometimes sell to fund other toys/projects, or trade for something else. I have traded firearms for vehicles on more than one occasion. Come to think of it, of the 6 cars and 2 running motorcycles I have right now, 2 of them were direct gun trades, and two I got in trade for other vehicles that I traded for guns.

-Ruger Vaquero .44 + Remington 700ADL .30-06 became an '87 Cherokee, which was later traded for my '83 Ramcharger.

-Colt Combat Commander traded for '94 Geo Prism + $250 cash when I needed an econobox, made some repairs to the car, drove for a few months and later traded it for a clean '90 Jeep Comanche.

-Romanian WASR traded for '78 Dodge Aspen T-top coupe.

-Glock 22 traded for '84 Honda VF750F Interceptor.

Previously, traded a decent S&W 19-4 for a '66 Dodge D-100 that I invested another $100 in and turned around and sold for $1,000

radar1972
October 12, 2013, 09:50 PM
Never sold one. I don't buy one unless it's something I really like and intend to keep.

Ignition Override
October 12, 2013, 11:38 PM
Both Russian MN 44 'groups' at 50 yards were huge (only tried Bulg. surplus ammo). The 91/30 was just far too long for an interest primarily in carbines.

The front sight posts on both the older Mini 14 and 30 were too thick. Also wanted available cash for a first Enfield and possibly an FR8: found within a week on a road trip.

WSM MAGNUM
October 13, 2013, 09:30 AM
Money was my reason. But, I regret it to this day, that I sold that S&W Model 27, nickel finish, with a 5" barrel that I had. :banghead:

jack44
October 13, 2013, 01:20 PM
I sold a few a 308 for my 45/70 glock 19 because I wanted a bigger 40 cal.

kimberkid
October 14, 2013, 10:12 PM
Another gun interest won out normally.
I answered "needed money" it was another gun I needed money for ... now its because I've got several of the same and/or bought a better model of the same type.

km101
October 15, 2013, 12:26 PM
Usually it was to upgrade. But a couple of times in the past it has been because a buddy just had to have a gun that I owned. I sold 2 Colt Pythons this way.

But I have never sold a gun that I didn't wish I had it back!

Akita1
October 15, 2013, 06:20 PM
Other: traded in for something else I wanted (which I guess could mean "needed money" but only for another gun!).

gym
October 15, 2013, 06:23 PM
Usually wanted something else. Not happy with it

Gregaw
October 16, 2013, 10:43 AM
I've only firearm I've ever sold was a Walther P22. I had sent it back to Walther once and tried a multitude of ammo with it and it was never reliable. Malfunctions were the primary reason I sold it.

jimmyraythomason
October 16, 2013, 12:59 PM
Normally it's another gun that interests me more at the time. This for me as well. If I didn't sell or trade away as many guns as I have over the last 40 years,I would have no room for them! Many were traded for something else or sold to buy something else.

hso
October 16, 2013, 01:00 PM
Usually a combination of bored and wanting money for something I wasn't bored with.

justice06rr
October 16, 2013, 09:06 PM
I'd add that I sold previous guns to try something new. Once I had my fill with AR15's, I got into AK's and SKS as well. You can only shoot so many guns at once, so sometimes you need to downsize the arsenal.

OptimusPrime
October 16, 2013, 09:17 PM
Some I sold to help out a buddy, some I sold cuz I just didn't want them (came in as a package deal), and some I sold because I'm an idiot.

One got sold because a fella offered me waaaaay too much for it and I couldn't turn it down. That one heated my house for a winter.

Warp
October 16, 2013, 09:18 PM
I voted bored of it as that is kinda close to why, even though it's not.

I sold them because, after ownership, I determined that they weren't really what I wanted.

thump_rrr
October 17, 2013, 03:32 AM
Never Sold a Gun !....................I Buy Guns !
I'm with you on that one.

kimberkid
October 17, 2013, 01:50 PM
I'd add that I sold previous guns to try something new. Once I had my fill with AR15's, I got into AK's and SKS as well. You can only shoot so many guns at once, so sometimes you need to downsize the arsenal.
I've found that if you buy quality it tends to hold its value better than just about anything else in our economy ...

In 2005 I had been "holding" on to guns that I'd bought just because I still liked them but didn't have time to shoot everything and basically had a safe full of guns that rarely got shot ... decided to buy a sports car and funded it with these guns ... I sold 27 and raised $30K ... most everyone of them I either broke even on or made a few bucks on so thats a plus but ... now that car is worth about $16K and the guns are worth about $35K.

The up-side is I've had a lot of fun with the car (which I still have). My wife enjoys riding in it as well, we take little trips on weekends thats something we never used to do before ... and the daughter (now 13) enjoys going on rides with dad ... maybe has something with looking cool when getting dropped off for dance lessons or even at school when the top is down :rolleyes:

JoeMal
October 17, 2013, 01:54 PM
Didn't shoot it much (got bored with it) and needed the money, so it only made sense.

So 2 of those

madFive
October 17, 2013, 04:48 PM
I've sold several over the years since I've been collecting. Normally trying to raise money for other purchases of firearms or other stuff, sometimes just to help freinds out.

When I decide to sell, I normally look at my collection and ask which ones I like the least or which ones get the least range time. The overall quality of my collection keeps getting better and better. And as the years pass I tend to sell less and less as I've realized whenever I sell one, I just go out and buy a replacement that's even better (and more expensive). So I'm not actually doing myself any favors in the long run. :P

mtrmn
October 17, 2013, 09:34 PM
Wish i had them back because I was an idiot for selling them.......

Magnuumpwr
October 19, 2013, 12:13 AM
Voted other. One gun that I purchased new and ended up selling. Sold it due to the inability of adding the aftermarket parts I wanted.

JDR
October 19, 2013, 06:21 AM
You missed a category; Stupidity! I wish I had my Sig P228 back; I'm ready to buy an M11-A1 to try & replace it!

Jim Mac
October 19, 2013, 08:14 AM
Of the guns ive sold, it was mainly for a quick flip. If the price is cheap enough ill buy it to sell the next day. Ive got a few guns that are my personal keepers but the others I consider trading/selling commododies. A buddy of mine told me never fall in love with the items your selling, its onlu worth what someone is willing to pay for it. And a quick buck is better than aitting on something for years trying to get the last buck. Better to turn and burn inventory and keep your money growing.
I should note this goes not only for guns and ammo,. Car parts, motorcycle atv and anything else I pick up at yard sales works too.

chicharrones
October 19, 2013, 10:20 AM
I sold one because after years of trying, I finally decided it didn't fit my hand. I used the cash to get a pistol of similar type that did fit my hand.

el Godfather
October 19, 2013, 04:30 PM
Got bored and wanted to get something new that complements my small collection.

InkEd
October 20, 2013, 12:23 AM
Sold my Sig 556 Classic because it was less accurate than my Arsenal SGL21! Bought a nice Colt AR and never looked back.

VAPOPO
October 20, 2013, 03:44 AM
EX Wife- either through her running up credit cards, Car breakdowns or my divorce. Funny thing is I havent had to sell one since ditching the B*&@#%. In fact my collection is BOOMING:evil:

Mat, not doormat
October 22, 2013, 03:41 PM
I sold several off a few years ago to raise money. Of late, it's been selling ones that didn't get used,or upgrading the ones that do.

JudgeHolden10
October 22, 2013, 08:14 PM
For me, if it doesn't get shot, it tends to be sold.

I traded a Ruger SP101 for money toward a Dan Wesson Valor, and I don't regret it. The SP101 was a good revolver, but it was too heavy for me to carry on a daily basis, so it was just collecting dust in the safe.

I also sold a Winchester 1892 soon after buying it. I had some issues with it chewing through .357 magnum brass, and the repair facility said there was nothing wrong. I didn't love it, so away it went.

Valkman
October 22, 2013, 08:22 PM
I've sold 2 guns in the last 40 years, a Winchester 30-30 that I HUGELY regret selling (was $80 new) and a Ruger .454. I don't regret the Ruger sale as my S&W .44 Mag is a much better shooter. So the first one was for money and the Ruger because I was bored with it.

Zach S
October 24, 2013, 02:02 AM
Needed money...

If you enjoyed reading about "Of the guns you've sold" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!