Pietta '58

PDA

waho
October 9, 2013, 02:10 PM
Went out and shot my new '58 Remington, have a question about trying to lighten the trigger pull which is really horrible, about 9lbs and very rough. Any body have any insight as to how to lighten it besides shoot it more?

If you enjoyed reading about "Pietta '58" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
kituwa
October 9, 2013, 04:25 PM
http://www.time-slice.com/mohave.gambler/favorites/Remington/58_Rem_tuning/58_Rem_tuning.htm

Start with this link.This should be a good start. You can instal a wolff reduced power mainspring for about $15 that works great too.

kituwa
October 9, 2013, 04:32 PM
http://www.gunsprings.com/

davepool
October 9, 2013, 11:09 PM
I followed the the guidelines in that link Kituwa when i polished up my Uberti 1858 trigger a couple weeks ago and the improvement was remarkable, crisp, clean break and felt like it was on ball bearings.

holdover
October 11, 2013, 01:51 AM
I've built a number of these for N-SSA competition, the link shown for a start point is good. Here is my method; First I measure the weight of trigger pull even before I take the revolver apart, so that I have a start point, then I cycle the revolver to feel for any rough spots. then I dissassemble completely checking for casting smoothness and finish where needed with a fine stone and oil. If the trigger pull is much over 2.5 LBS (min. 2lbs is legal at N-SSA for revolver) here is what I do before recutting hammer notches etc. I reassemble the revolver greasing all parts with luberplate except for the mainspring which I remove some metal from the mainspring by using a 1" belt sander and thin the spring slightly on the sides and back, over the whole length except where it contacts the hammer and locks into the frame. I do it a bit at a time making sure it doesn't overheat and ruin the temper (bucket of water is used to quench) replace it in the rev. and check trigger pull, repeat process until desired pull is achieved. Sometimes a slight reduction on sear spring pressure is also necessary to fine tune

If you enjoyed reading about "Pietta '58" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!