Yancey Derringer

PDA

Viking6
March 25, 2004, 10:17 AM
I was thinking about the thread on the TV show "Combat" and was recalling one of my favorites "Yancey Derringer" with Jock Mahoney and X Brand when I came across a bit of trivia below:

A Derringer is a short-barreled pocket pistol, of large caliber. It is usually single shot but can be double. Because of its poor accuracy and small size, it is meant for up-close encounters.

Oddly enough, the name of this weapon has been consistently misspelled, and the incorrect name is now accepted as standard. The pistol's designer was Henry Deringer (1786-1868).

If you enjoyed reading about "Yancey Derringer" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Lone Star
March 25, 2004, 10:45 AM
Yancey's "derringer" was a four-barrel Sharps.

Lone Star

tiberius
March 25, 2004, 10:46 AM
I think it was a copyright issue. Remington called their famous pistol a "Derringer" since they couldn't use the name "deringer". Now the two "r" name refer to the generic type.

Viking6
March 25, 2004, 12:34 PM
tiberius, interesting. I did a cursory search from an on-line dictionary for my info so it didn't have the depth of information.
All those old shows had a gimmick; I forget X Brand's character name, maybe Paiute or something. But I think he carried a big shotgun and a bowie knife over his shoulder. i suppose if your sidekick has a derringer, then you best have a shotgun or rifle.

Mithrandir
March 25, 2004, 02:18 PM
Paho-ka-tey-wah (not spelled right - phonetic is PA WHO KAH TAY WAH

"wolf-who-stands-in-water"

a Pawnee

out...

Hutch
March 25, 2004, 02:42 PM
And usually addressed as "Pa-hoo".

Dave T
March 25, 2004, 03:27 PM
Man, I hadn't thought about that show for years. I always like the Indian character better than the star. Pa-Hoo (if that's what it was) carried a seriously sawed off double barreled shotgun suspended by a kind of shoulder strap under a blanket or robe thrown over his shoulder. As mentioned he also carried a "Bowie" under the same robe but over his right shoulder. Always like that show.

Two other short lived TV Westerns I always liked were "Colt 45" and "The Arizona Rangers". Of course I watched all the standards like Wyatt Earp, Bat Masterson, Paladin, Maverick, Cheyenne, Sugerfoot, Wagon Train, Rawhide, Wanted Dead or Alive, and of course Gunsmoke. I'm sure I've forgotten some too.

Dollar Bill
March 25, 2004, 04:45 PM
I had not thought of that series in years. You are correct, Viking, saying those old westerns had a gimmick going on. Lucas McCain's big loop '92 Winchester modified to fire when the lever locks in "The Rifleman", Steve McQueen's "Mares Leg", another Win. '92 shortened and modified with 45-70 cartridges in the belt for effect in "Wanted, Dead or Alive".. How about Johnny Ringo's LeMat, 6 shot revolver with a shotgun barrel?

We are showing our ages here.

moa
March 25, 2004, 05:52 PM
Wasn't there a old TV western called "Tombstone Territory" or something like that? I thought it was a pretty good western. IIRC, they even had one program involving a Chinese Tong War going on.

IIRC, the lead character had this neat looking double rig holster set up. Looked like a holster and belt for a right hander and another overlapping one for a left hander. Cool lucking with all those rounds in the belts.

Even older than some of those westerns you mentioned was Lone Ranger and the even older Cisco Kid.

If anybody saw those old TV westerns when they first aired, they are into geezer-ville. I am one of them.

Heck, back in those days I think most people did have TVs yet.

moa
March 25, 2004, 05:53 PM
I meant to say, "did not have" TVs.

Viking6
March 25, 2004, 08:38 PM
I walked into Kroger this afternoon and they had a sign 5% off for Seniors every Tuesday (one more year to go - 55). I expect being in geezerville beats option 2. Tombstone Territory, Marshal (Sheriff?) Clay Hollister and there was the Texas Rangers where they would have some episodes in the old West and some in modern times. Not quite "the Shield".

Jim K
March 25, 2004, 08:49 PM
Speaking of the Lone Ranger, some years back one of the gunzines did an article on actually casting silver bullets. Old timers might remember that the Lone Ranger did it over a campfire. Nope. Took a lot of heat and the silver cooled too quickly to take the mold. Made some of the most gawdawful looking bullets you have ever seen. They finally concluded it was just not possible in the real world.

IIRC, the Lone Ranger, in his original identity, owned a silver mine. He was a Texas Ranger who was ambushed along with several comrades. They were all killed, but Tonto found the one survivor and nursed him back to health. When the Ranger asked where the others were, Tonto replied, "All dead, you lone ranger."

Well it made a good story. Along with the famous line from the radio days, "Listen, I hear a white horse coming!"

Jim

ksnecktieman
March 25, 2004, 08:50 PM
Only slightly off topic here. The movie, "Maverick". Does anyone remember the scene where Maverick is unloading his hardware on the table at the entrance to the championship poker game? Did anyone count them? I may have to go and rent it just to see that scene again.

Bob F.
March 25, 2004, 10:26 PM
Remember the theme"26 men saddled up and then, rode out to tame a territory". What show? Arizona Rangers, or Tombstone Territory

Bob
(from Geezerville!)

If you enjoyed reading about "Yancey Derringer" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!