Sent out for a C&R license

PDA

TrickyDick
October 9, 2013, 09:09 PM
So after awhile of thinking about it, I finally decided to go ahead and get my C&R. The selling point was $30 for THREE years. I thought it was annual, but I'm glad I checked. Most likely, I will buy multiple Mosins, simply because I like them..... I would also like to get an original K98, but right now, I would like to get at least 10 Mosins. I thought about buying a crate, but the only place that sells by the crate is Classic Firearms, and they want $130+ a rifle, so the quantity factor doesnt save any money whatsoever. I'm looking at going straight through Century.... has anyone had any luck with them in regards to large purchases? I know they have free shipping for orders over $500..... input is appreciated.

If you enjoyed reading about "Sent out for a C&R license" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dicty2004
October 9, 2013, 09:24 PM
You need join a local support group ASAP! ;) Welcome to the addiction.

BradN
October 9, 2013, 09:35 PM
You might try calling AIM Surplus and ask if they'll cut you a deal for a crate.

Jackal
October 9, 2013, 09:37 PM
You might try calling AIM Surplus and ask if they'll cut you a deal for a crate.

I did, they wont.:)

Cosmoline
October 9, 2013, 09:39 PM
It really comes in handy if you're out of state and want to swing by a gun show.

TrickyDick
October 10, 2013, 01:29 AM
well, the downside is, I might have to sell a rifle to get these mosins. of course, 1 rifle for 6 or 7 mosins isn't bad' but I just hate selling guns. and my rule of thumb when selling a firearm is: if it was a gift, it cant be sold. which narrows it down to 5 guns, and theres only 2 that would fetch a decent amount. but 1 of them I built myself, so I kinda don't want to sell it, which leaves just 1....my AK. M70AB2 to be specific.... so I just don't know what to do.

Cosmoline
October 10, 2013, 02:00 PM
A crate o' rifles is fun, but if I were you I'd focus on getting something nice like a Finn Mosin or a Pole M44. The prices on these have been going up and don't show signs of stopping. You should take a look at the sell boards at the old Mosin forums,

http://forums.gunboards.com/forum.php

That's where a lot of "crufflers" swap and sell. I would trust those deals any day over a Century crate. Century is well known for selling anything, without quality control. So you may get a crate of worn out war dogs. Besides, why get a bunch of the same 91/30 model when there are so many other Mosins to collect and shoot? A good Mosin collection should have:

M39 Finn
M28 or M28/30 Civil Guard
M91 long rifle
M38 carbine
M44
M91/30
M91/30 sniper
And one or two Cold War era examples, many of which are minty fresh

Also you need a Makarov, Tokarev and Nagant handguns to go with these. And some good vodka.

In the current market I would focus on the Finnified 91/30's (M30's) because half the time people don't know they have one and will sell for cheap. I'd also keep an eye out for the post-war 91/30 "CH" Tula snipers with Molot stamps as those were apparently legit snipers made after the war yet they have been selling for the same price as fake snipers due to confusion on the market. The days of cheap M39's are gone, but you can still get one for $350-$400 if you look. I've bought several from this fellow:

http://www.gunsnammo.com/

Also if you want to get into Mosins, Lapin's book is a requirement. And the film "Talvisota" on the Korean transfer DVD can't hurt either--it's the greatest Mosin movie ever made.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ELfMprEbrI

Getting to know other C&R holders is part of the process. Very frequently they'll want to fill a hole in the collection and have spares to swap. So you can fine-tune yours. Personally I'm focusing on post-war Mosins at the moment.

UpTheHill
October 10, 2013, 03:59 PM
century http://www.centuryarms.biz/ doesn't list crate sales, but they will sell them that way, a lot of products have "discounts available" next to them, and they'll discount the price if you want to buy a crate of anything.

geo57
October 10, 2013, 05:44 PM
PM sent on a k98 Mauser I have.

TrickyDick
October 10, 2013, 11:42 PM
@Cosmoline, I would love to pick up a Finn Mosin, but I was going to start out with quantity, then pick up the specials. I've seen "Talvisota", and it's just about the best war movie I've ever seen. I called Century the other day, and they dont sell by the crate unfortunately. But I would just like an assortment of Mosins, as I'm not too picky about what specific ones I have, although, I'm sure it'll eventually boil down to that. But we shall see....

If you enjoyed reading about "Sent out for a C&R license" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!