"side arm" options

PDA

Z1D2
October 10, 2013, 12:25 PM
Looking at getting a new or used "side arm". Some of the options I am considering is a NAA Guardian, a Ruger, and a 22 Mag revolver.
I found some "older information", but wanted some "fresh perspectives".
Has anyone have some great, good, or bad experiences with the Rugers, NAA's, LCP, Guardian, or the 22 Mag, or any Pocket pistols?
Any type of suggestions?
May look just at getting a pocket type pistol or a real super comfortable IWB pistol, that's also good when sitting and the lest noticeable....
THANKS ahead of time for your posts. -Z1D2

If you enjoyed reading about ""side arm" options" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Ironclad
October 10, 2013, 12:45 PM
I highly recommend a Ruger LC9. A little more punch and easier to aim than an LCP, but I can still fit it in a front pocket if needed. I had one and loved it until my wife 'stole' it from me. 100% reliable out of the box, easy takedown, accurate for a pea shooter. My one gripe is the magazine disconnect which irritates me to no end and to me is a stopgap solution to poor firearm handling skills. But it can be removed.

Z1D2
October 10, 2013, 01:30 PM
I was looking for something around the $230 range. What is the price range of the LC9?

Jim NE
October 10, 2013, 01:36 PM
Check out the Ruger SR9c. I love mine, but it's a little bigger than some of the guns you mentioned. Not a pocket pistol. GREAT carry option, though.

I also have a LCP, but haven't shot it yet, so I can't give you a review. Every other Ruger semi-auto pistol I own is a winner, though.

Not going to find many Rugers in the 230 range, I'm sorry to say.

David E
October 10, 2013, 01:46 PM
$230 is pretty limiting. I suppose if you can find the NAA Guardian for that, you should buy it. But if it's used, then there might be a problem with it.

I presume the "Ruger" is the LCP? Decent price if it checks out ok.

What brand of .22 Magnum? I suspect a Herirage. If so, I'd buy one of the first two. But if it's another NAA, it's a good novelty gun, but pricey to feed. A defense gun it ain't, unless you're the type that carries 3-4 tiers of guns on you. (A backup to the backup backup kind of thing)

farm23
October 10, 2013, 01:58 PM
I have both the NAA Guardian and a Black Widow. Both are fine guns but are outside your price range. The BW is with me every day and is one of my favorite guns. If you do find one at your price NAA has a life time warranty.

Z1D2
October 10, 2013, 04:09 PM
230 is more of a base. Close is good.
Seen a used guardian for 235$ the place selling it don't know how its been used. Sad to say have not heard of the SR9C...

Z1D2
October 10, 2013, 05:46 PM
Price seems low. Anyone heard of these, Cobra FS380 or 32?
Anyone shoot one?

Ironclad
October 10, 2013, 06:51 PM
I think a kel-tec PF9, P32, or P3AT are pretty close to your price range. I would probably go with the PF9 but I have no experience with one. I have shot a P32 and it was pretty decent.

MedWheeler
October 10, 2013, 09:18 PM
^^^ The PF9 and the P11 can be had for under $300 in many places, but they're scarce for that price. I have the PF9, and it's no fun to shoot for extended periods due to its low weight-to-power ratio, but it is plenty accurate and reliable for its intended use. I carry it as an EDC weapon.

The P32 also comes in well under three bills, and is equally reliable (the one I have is.) It's a lot smaller, and easier to handle in fire. Just a little too small for me to carry all the time; I feel like if I try to draw it quickly, I'll fling it across the room because of the small, short, and thin grip portion of the frame. A Hogue grip (or bicycle-tube section) and a mag-extension would help, but then I'd essentially have the PF9 again, but in .32.
Also, IWB carry can be made more comfortable by carrying between the belt and pants. This is known as "inside-the-belt" carry (ITB.) It still requires as long a cover garment as does OWB-carry, though.

Mayvik
October 10, 2013, 10:23 PM
Look at newer Sccys as well, in your price range and nicer, IMO, than KT P11. NAAs are more for deep concealment and are very fine but not fun for range use. Surplus cz82 is better than about anything if you are not worried about aesthetics.

19-3Ben
October 10, 2013, 11:55 PM
Just a thought, but I pretty regularly see the Taurus model 85 selling in the $225-$250 range for good condition used examples.
They are S&W J-frame sized, and tend to be good quality and one of the models that Taurus gets consistently right. I had one for a while and it was reliable as the day was long and more accurate than it had any right to be.

I'd look into one of those. They are a great value for someone who wants a quality built, reliable carry gun on a very tight budget. I don't think you can do better in that price range than a reliable and accurate steel framed .38.

Z1D2
October 11, 2013, 10:57 AM
Handled 1 Kel-Tec P3AT. Didn't like the feel much. Haven't handled the PF9 yet, as I haven't seen it. Don't care how "pretty" it is. If the gun is a coyote ugly it may work better... But if it handles/ feels like a Coyote ugly than I may not want it..

Jim NE
October 12, 2013, 01:21 AM
If you go with the P11 Keltec, an aftermarket S&W 5900 15 round mag will make the gun much easier to handle, as it makes for a longer grip. You'll need a 10+ wolff mag spring and a grip extension, though...and Hogue handalls will help, too, bringing the cost to over 300.

Another option for under 300 is a used S&W Sigma in 9mm.

bubba in ca
October 12, 2013, 04:38 PM
ditto on the steel framed .38, and in that price range I`d look at a Bulgarian Makarov and the Bersa 380.

If you enjoyed reading about ""side arm" options" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!