Favorite and least favortie gun shops

PDA

JamisJockey
March 25, 2004, 10:46 AM
With the 'rant' threads and such, I thought it was time to name names.
List your favorite and/or least favorite gunshops. List name, city and state.

My favorite(s):
Gallenson's, downtown Salt Lake City, Utah. Big selection, good used selection, helpful staff.
Get Some, I think its in Midvale, Utah. Small selection, but the owner is a heck of a nice guy and I've never been in there less than 1/2 an hour talking to him.
Impact Guns (http://www.impactguns.com) in Ogden, Utah. Only been once, but its a class III candy store!

Least favorite:
Doug's Shoot'n'sports, Taylorsville, Utah. Indoor range is always in dis-repair, dimly lit, and littered with trash. The staff is hit-or-miss, and prices are also hit-or-miss.

If you enjoyed reading about "Favorite and least favortie gun shops" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Black Majik
March 25, 2004, 10:58 AM
Favorite:
The Gunsight. Fullerton California. Not that big of a selection but the prices beat everything here. Its even lower priced than the Turners Outdoorsman when they're on sale! George helps me understand the guns I buy from him

Honorable mentions: Gold Coast Trading. Fountain Valley, CA. Expensive pricing but their service is pretty damn good. Nice people. Its hard to get here in Southern California

Least Favorite:
The Stockade. Westminster, CA. Those people have the customer service of the devil! Rude, arrogant, and I've been sweeped more than I prefer to. They have great selection too though.

Fowlers Gunroom: One of their sales people gives me the bad vibes. The tall white guy with blond hair and kinda buzzcut. I always wonder why the hell he's working there, he always seems like we're wasting his time. Everyone else in that store is alrite but I jus' dont like going in there to see his moody attitude.

axeman_g
March 25, 2004, 11:08 AM
Here in Atlanta we have some very good and a few bad ....

Favorites:
Bull'sEye in Lawrenceville ...Class III, great prices, selection and "usually" very helpful and knowledegable staff. Also has an indoor handgun and rifle range.

American Classic Marksman in Norcross ... Great guys, indoor range and knowledgeable. Prices tend to be a little high, but owner always has some special piece for a fantastic price for sale.

David's Gun Room in Norcross ... GREAT STAFF, Rusty is one the best smiths in area. Good prices, not range... only problem is it is off beaten path for me.

Hit and Run Guns in Nocross/Lilburn ... Place is a wreck ... Class III, a real hands on place with some great deals if you know what you want.

Least Visited:
Hit and Run Guns... see above for why I like this place and did not want to list it here but... but the place can be sketchy to deal with, smoke filled, dirty and crowded. Know what you want and deal stiffly with them ....

The Gun Store in Chamblee ... horrendous prices, poor selections and basically no bargaining. Seems to be more interested in selling overpriced Lorcins to locals then anything else. I have had to stop going there because I find the female owner so obnoxious.

Chucks Firearms in Buckhead ... I list it here because I hate going there and realizing how poor I am. Place specializes in QUALITY (OVERPRICED???) double shotguns, drillings, high end CAS iron and 1911s. Always something good to look at, never anything I can afford. Seems to do well with the southern gentleman shooters.

synoptic
March 25, 2004, 11:12 AM
Good:
Champion Firearms in College Station, Tx. Good prices, friendly, knowledgable staff, very nice indoor range.

Bad:
Able Ammo in Huntsvile, Tx. They just don't seem to care about the customer, plus their prices are pretty high.

gp59
March 25, 2004, 11:30 AM
well no favorite but an ok and a never go there again.

Ok

Kessilrings,alger washington, One hell of a selection of guns and huge inventory, couple of bone heads behind the handgun counter who don't belong in the retail business. other wise good prices on guns and ammo. repair service sucks.

worst

yeagers in belingham washington. lousey customer service. don't care if they help you or not. prices avg. to high.

not sure

gun town in lynnwood washington. heard good things about them and there prices, good customer service on the phone,so far.

:mad: :mad: :( :( :cool: :confused:

jpthegeek
March 25, 2004, 11:34 AM
Good:

Adventure Outdoors: Smyrna

Knowledgable people, nice selection, pretty decent prices. No range. Guys are usually very nice and it is run by a family. No range.

HotShots: Smyrna

Good group of guys and they always seem to be able to beat everybody's prices. Selection is limted, but when they have stuff they usually have it at the best price around...at least from my experience. Indoor range that is almost smoke free and very clean.

Davids Gun Room: Norcross

Nice place. Prices seem to be a bit high, although the selection is nice. Very friendly.

Guns & Gear: Alpharetta

Great place. Gret selection. Nice guys. Prices are high though.

Not so good:

Ed's Gun & Tackle: Marietta

Big range but really hazy. If there are more than 2 shooters in there you will be coughing for days. Decent selection of handguns and long guns. Prices are high.

Pannel's: Woodstock

Haziest range I have ever been in. Decent prices but they dont seem very interested in selling you anything.

Declaration Day
March 25, 2004, 11:48 AM
Good: Westborn Gun Shop in Taylor. Probably the smallest gun shop I've seen, but its well laid out with a good selection of guns. Prices are decent, and the staff couldn't be more friendly and helpful.

Bad: Shooter's Service in Livonia. Way overpriced, very limited selection, rude staff. They often won't let you see a handgun unless you show them a purchase permit / CCW. Getting a friendly hello out of them is out of the question.

hillbilly
March 25, 2004, 12:02 PM
My top three favorites--

1)John's Guns in Fort Smith Arkansas---good selection, fair prices, and outstanding customer service.

2) Tackle Box in Fort Smith Arkansas--better selection, higher prices, good customer service.

3) Ozark Sportsman in Tontitown, Arkansas---big selection, good prices, and very friendly, helpful staff, with an indoor range and reasonable rentals. Only it's an hour's drive away.

And here is my all time top gun shop to hate:

Dong's in Tulsa, Oklahoma.

Back in the early 1990s, I went there with a good friend of mine who is a member of the Ottawa or Adawe tribe.

The guy behind the counter said something racist as my friend walked past him to check out a barrel full of Carcano rifles.

Will never, ever go back.

Maybe Dong's management or employees have changed, but I'm not going to go back and find out.

hillbilly

cratz2
March 25, 2004, 12:40 PM
In Indiana, Plainfield Shooting Supplies is tops in my book and I try to give them all of my 'new' business. I've had very good luck with Albros and Bradis as well.

Don's Guns is without a doubt the worst I've seen.

Keislers down in Jeffersonville has an outstanding selection, but I've been outright lied to on two occasions so while it's a neat place to spend an hour or two, I won't give them any of my money.

SLCDave
March 25, 2004, 12:54 PM
My favorite in SLC is also Gallensons. Great people, good selection, and they don't jump you for window shopping on your lunch break. If you don't mind chain stores, Sportsman's warehouse has a good selection, too.

If you think Doug's is bad, check out Totally Awesome Guns and Range. Just try to find a wooden stock or grip in the entire place. I dare you. The flouresant lighting in there reminds me of Joe's office in "Joe Versus the Volcano". I've never been brave enough to try the range, because I feel like I might get mugged by the staff. I had a sales guy try to tell me all Berettas were junk and crap, and tried to steer me to a product they sold there. Never a good experience for me when I've been there.

SiG Lady
March 25, 2004, 01:09 PM
I think I'll pass on bashing any Eugene, Oregon gun shops (in part because we have no serious 'problem' gun shops in the area, and in part because I don't want the liability), but I do have a couple of decent places to mention:

MAZAMA SPORTING GOODS: Sole proprietorship biz with decent prices on guns--especially used ones--and his specialty is hunting and rifles. But I've bought nearly every one of my guns from him and he'll order just about anything from any catalogue anywhere. Been in biz a long time; has mucho connections. Jim has a good reputation locally, participates in gun shows, excellent customer service, warm personality... and he's extremely intuitive about what his customers like. As soon as you walk in he'll show you something he knows you'd like. How professional! ...and smart.

THE BARON'S DEN: Full retail gun and accessories outlet, Benchmade dealer and collector's HQ, but is also our local range/club, owned by independent local couple for 8 years. Knowledgeable and friendly staff, prices are not exactly low, but it costs money to run a range. Regular classes and league competitions, free coffee and munchies, open 7 days. They'll order just about anything for you, steer you in the right direction about purchases, and the ambience couldn't be any more supportive to the members and guest shooters.

So, yeh, I'm a happy camper, gun-shop wise. :cool:

Andrew Rothman
March 25, 2004, 01:26 PM
Minneapolis:

Bill's (Robbinsdale) -
- Good selection of handguns
- Hit-or-miss gun knowledge
- High pressure sales
- high prices
- Lots of holsters and accessories
- Range in the basement

Frontiersman (St. Louis Park) -
- Good selection
- Good gun knowledge
- Low pressure sales
- Fair prices

Outdoorsman (Hopkins) -
- Smith on site
- Bigoted, CZ-fan, Glock-bashing owner
- Small selection of handguns
- Almost no CCW accessories

GunStop Reloading Supplies (Minnetonka) -
- Huge selection of long guns
- Moderate selection of handguns
- Good gun knowledge
- VERY customer-friendly
- Best prices I've seen in town

Streicher's (Golden Valley) -
- Small selection of handguns - they don't sell Glocks to non-cops
- HUGE selection of accessories - everything a police officer needs
- holsters
- ammo
- supplies
- OC spray
- Flashlights
- Royal Robbins!
- VERY friendly and helpful customer service

Gander Mountain (Minnetonka) -
- Great attitude! (sign on door: "All firearms must be unloaded and cased. This does not apply to CCW.")
- Fair selection of firearms
- Fair prices
- ALWAYS friendly and helpful staff

manwithoutahome
March 25, 2004, 02:33 PM
To add on to Eugene and Springfield, OR:

J&W Arms in Springfield: W is always there, have no idea who J is. If you are into old rifles and old/newer pistols, he has them. As well as ammo for those C&R's. High priced but I like Bill.

SM Gunshop, Eugene: Good selection on both firearms and holsters. Decent prices, good sale items. People are nice but sometimes I wonder about their "expertise" on ammo for older guns (9mm luger will fit and work in a 9mm largo, it's the same thing :uhoh: ).

Oregon West Shooters Supply: Great ammo prices in bulk. If you are a Glock or 1911 person, this is the place for you. They seem to have everything, for only the Glock and 1911 :(. People are sorta nice but they don't like "browers" or "touchers". They do have an on site minor gunsmithing room. High priced on guns though.

I concur with SigLady on the Barons Den: Great people and are alittle high priced but as SigLady said, it takes allot of money to run a range. After looking into the range fees that others in Portland and other places are charging, they are very competitive. They love browers and touchers. Oh, and the person who does the classes is very knowledgable. Oh, and if something isn't in the glass case, don't leave just yet, tell them what you want, they seem to be able to pull things out from under the display cases :D

I've only bought guns from J&W Arms, SM Gunshop and Baron's Den. Great service from each shop.

M

Valkman
March 25, 2004, 02:46 PM
There's places I haven't been to yet, but here we go:

Favorites

Masters Shooter's Supply, Las Vegas - Floyd the owner is a great guy and always helpful. Sometimes I go in just to ask a question or to BS - it's that kind of place. Prices aren't the best around but I like it anyway.

Discount Firearms, Henderson - Great prices on guns and powder. Real nice owner, although the wife doesn't seem too friendly. Moving the store into Vegas soon with a new indoor range.

Machine Gun Kelly's, Las Vegas - Lots of Class III stuff, friendly, and there's a kid there about 12 who's great at helping and will show you every gun in the store. Wife bought her first gun there.

Spurlock's Guns, Henderson - Friendly guys, and the most reloading stuff I've seen. Long way from home, but a good place if you need certain stuff.

Least Favorite

American Shooter's Supply, Las Vegas - Range, gun store and a big clothing section for security and po-po. Big attitudes, big prices. Don't want CCW in there, so I don't go in there.

Accuracy Guns, Henderson - Big prices. 19 cents each for .45 brass! Only if I'm really stuck will I go there.

Wal-Mart, Las Vegas - Idiots working the counter, no help at all. Now the store closest to me pulled all their guns because they decided not to sell them anymore. I've never bought a gun a Wal-Mart and hope I never do.

SiG Lady
March 25, 2004, 02:54 PM
OWSS must've moved and re-opened elsewhere, then (But I think he closed for good). They were in east Springfield for awhile, ran into financial stresses, then bailed. Randy was a nice guy, though; had wide range of products in-store and reasonable supply of firearms. But I only discovered him just in time to see him close.

SM GUN SHOP: has a mixed reputation around town. You either like 'em or you don't. Low overhead for the owner--he owns free 'n clear the little building he's in so has fewer expenses than Mazama (paying rent in a big, popular mall location) and The Baron's Den (constructed the bldg from scratch 8 yrs ago and likely still paying for it), so it matters less if he's making a profit or not. I go to SM now and then for emergency .22 ammo (they carry the Federal Match stuff at tolerable prices while I'm waiting for a bulk order from Bi-Mart) and for entertainment, to test the political climate... just to see how they deign to treat a lady customer. Usually it's OK.

manwithoutahome
March 25, 2004, 03:51 PM
Thanks for the update on OWSS. I haven't been there for over a year so I didn't know.

M

Red_SC
March 25, 2004, 04:08 PM
Best:

Rook's, in Bishopville- Small shop,but packed with decent stuff. The owner is the only worker, friendly, decent prices.

Worst: everything else around here.

Carolina Sportsman in Hartsville- Friendly, but high on most things.

Southland in Darlington- I'm told the guy that runs it can be a jerk, I've never had any real problems with him. High prices.

Darlington Gun Works- Owner is a real jerk, completely unreasonable prices. Only stays in business because he is a pretty good 'smith.

Doc's Firearms in Florence- Workers OK, high prices.

See a pattern here? I think everybody around here charges high prices. A box of .22's that you can get from Walmart for $4.00 will be $7.00 to $9.00 at most of them. FGMM in .308 for $27 a box.

ducktapehero
March 25, 2004, 04:11 PM
I like the Gun shop here in Ozark Mo. The guy specializes in military rifles. He has them out so you are free to handle them without asking for everything. He does have his handguns locked up though. I also like Gunslinger Gun shop in Springfield Mo.
Honorable mention- The gun shop in Claycomo Mo. The ONLY gun shop I have ever been to that I didn't like was one in Nixa Mo. I walked in to look at some things and was treated like I was bothering them.

LynnMassGuy
March 25, 2004, 04:21 PM
The best around here IMHO is Four Seasons in Worburn. Good guys(and gal) and very reasonable prices. The only problem is it gets REALLY crowded in there on Sat.:)

Galyans in Danver's has great prices and selection but there have a few really bad salesmen and one good one. They got a kid behind the counter that just doesn't want to help you.

manwithoutahome
March 25, 2004, 04:53 PM
Just for some other places that I've been:

New Mexico, Alamogordo: If it's still in business (heard rumors) = The Knife Shop.

Valdosta Georgia: *My brain just did one of those far* things*. It's a store on one of the oneway streets downtown (in the old section of town). It's right on a corner. If my brain starts working, I'll come back and edit with the name. (It's half firearms, half fishing/boots/pawn stuff).

D'oh :rolleyes:, Valdosta Pawn (how in the world did my brain go blank on this one?)

M.

BlkHawk73
March 25, 2004, 05:51 PM
Don't really do gun shops anymore. I'll go to shows and one shop here just to look and see what I would like. I then simply find one elsewhere and buy it doing the transfer through my brother (has FFL) The olny good shop here closed up a few years back. I will NOT buy from Howell's gun & archery ($50 transfer fee!)in Gray, ME or Kittery Trading Post in Kittery, ME, both have screwed me at least once and KTP has/tried screwed a few other people I know.

jamz
March 25, 2004, 07:27 PM
The Bestest: Four Seasons in Woburn. Carl is a really great guy. www.fsguns.com

Their website is a little...disorganized, but they have mail order prices on stuff. I can get ammo cheaper there than a lot of mail order places, which is good, because mail order places won't deliver to MA anyway. :rolleyes:

The Worstest: WallyMart. The one closest to me lost their ammunition dealing license recently. Good thing, say I.

-James

uglymofo
March 25, 2004, 07:48 PM
Reed's in San Jose has a pretty good selection, and the people are friendly enough I guess. None of that makes up for their prices, though.

WORST in the lower 48 is Trader's in San Leandro. I know, I know, how can I say that.... I saw them sell a nickled snub-nosed S&W .357 to a woman in her 50's for her mother who was there, but hard of hearing. When I interjected that that was too much gun for an 85-pound LOL (I didn't say it that way, I was more tactful) they looked at me like I didn't know the sun brought light and we'd call that daytime, so I just kept on walking to the door.

It was my only time in the store; I was just passing through town and stumbled upon this store, which had a terrible reputation for selling anything to anyone. They had a rep for selling to druggies, pimps, skinning newbies, mismatching grammas to cannons, etc., and in my only experience, I didn't see anything to contradict that rep. While I was browsing the gun cases, another clerk had a Gold Cup, an S&W 29 8", and an S&W 459 out in response to some newbie's request to see a "reliable and popular" target pistol. :rolleyes:

Ah, well, if God didn't want them sheared, he would not have made them sheep.

DorGunR
March 25, 2004, 08:13 PM
I my neck of the woods the best gun store would have to be Scott's located in Glen Burnie, Maryland. Not a large selection but Scott and Bill are both super guys and know their guns.........also Scott is an expert school trained gunsmith. I don't even bother to shop any where else for guns, ammo, scopes, etc.:cool:

Lennyjoe
March 25, 2004, 09:13 PM
Best; Toss up between West of Pecos and Murphy's

Worst; Without a doubt, Jerry's gun exchange.:cuss:

LeonCarr
March 25, 2004, 09:35 PM
Best: Another vote for Champion Firearms in College Station, Texas. Katie and Mike are great people and great to deal with.

Worst: Collectors Firearms in Houston, Texas. Fancy high-faluting sales staff that think they are all that and a bucket of chicken and look down on you when you walk into the store. Also, on top of all that, they do not allowed CHL holders to carry concealed weapons in the store (IT IS A GUN STORE!), and all of the sales staff were open carrying handguns. I went in there once, didn't buy squat, and I have never been there again.

Rant mode off.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

ddj8052
March 26, 2004, 12:31 AM
In Ventura CA,

Best: The California Rifleman. Paul is great on customer service. Better than any other gun store I have ever been to. It is a small shop with a relatively small selection, but the friendly atmosphere more than makes up for it. They also have great prices. The other owner is not nearly as friendly, but OK.

Worst by far: is H&S sales. The owner Harry is an A@@h@@e. I walked into his store once with a $1000 bucks in my pocket ready to pick up my Kimber Tactical Pro. After looking and not seeing one in his case I asked him how much one would cost, He looked at me and said " I will not waste my time figuring it out unless you have money for it." I said well then I would hate to waste my money on your time, I guess I will spend it else where. Previously I had asked him to look at something in his case and he said unless I was buying somthing he was not going to waste his time showing me anything. Well over 10 guns later he can kiss my money good buy.

OK but way to expensive and terible service is Coast gun shop. They tend to like to give people the run around. Myself and a couple of my friends have spent 1000's of dollars there and latley it seems everything we try to get or order is "on the way". We are all fed up with the constant run around. They keep saying t will be here tommorrow, or the next day, and a week later you are still waiting for it. Friendly, lots of accesories, terrible service.

Long story short, if you are in the Ventura Co area you would be very well served to give Paul at the California Rifleman a visit.

SiG Lady
March 26, 2004, 12:41 AM
Where do people get off thinking they can treat customers with disdain, arrogance and rudeness and still make money and keep their doors open??!! Who the hell do they think they're kidding, anyway??!! I don't get it! Not ALL gun purchasers are chumps (or little old ladies who can't hear, or whatever)--many of them are just decent folks looking for reasonable deals. Is that so difficult...??!!
:cuss:

uglymofo
March 26, 2004, 10:28 AM
Where do people get off thinking they can treat customers with disdain, arrogance and rudeness and still make money and keep their doors open??!!

WORST in the lower 48 is Trader's in San Leandro. I'll second my own nomination with another horror story that Siglady's post made me flash on.

A couple of years ago I was at the rifle line (20 benches) with two benchrest shooting buddies and a personal friend. A Mexican came up to the bench next to me and brought out his SIG SSG 3000 and began shooting as fast as he could. I'd seen him at the range several times before, but he was never set up this close to me, and I didn't pay attention to his shooting habits, I'm sorry to say. He'd fired about 20 shots in a 12" group over bin Laden's face (that was the target he was using). After we couldn't take it anymore, we stopped him, and told him gently that he'd ruin his barrel that way. We tried to explain that the bore would be toast after that kind of prolonged treatment, but his English was almost non-existant. We sign-languaged him that he should be getting 1-2" groups at the most, and he misunderstood and patted one of the guys on the shoulder and indicated that Eddie was obviously a better shooter to get such smaller groups. Then we noticed his ammo. He was shooting Wolf. We told him not to use that in his rifle because it was junk. He didn't understand us and thought we wanted to know where he got his rig, so he went into his MTM-like rifle case and came out with a receipt from you guessed it, Traders. They sold this poor neophyte an SIG SSG 3000 w/an NC Star 3-12x scope (who the hell is NC Star?? I'm afraid to look them up even these years later) and a plastic carrying case for $3400, tacked on a case of 1000 rounds of Wolf for $190 and drop kicked him out the door.

What Trader's did to that guy was proof of the bottom-feeding morals in that store. It makes me sad to see that man when he comes to the range; I'm damn near driven to tears. Obviously (to us) he walked into Trader's without any knowledge, no interpreter, and either picked or was pointed to this rig, and they raped him with a smile on their faces. There oughta be some code of ethics against stores like Trader's. Even if God made them sheep to be sheared; they shouldn't be butchered.

How does Trader's survive?? They're outside the city limits in San Leandro, but I'm sure the bulk of their clientele comes from the border 5 blocks away-- they're the firearms-ignorant, safety-concerned residents of East Oakland, along with the vermin that prey on them.

Highland Ranger
March 26, 2004, 10:36 AM
Doesn't look like anyone has done NJ so here goes:

Ramsey Outdoor Ledgewood: smaller selection of handguns, nice older guys behind the counter but not particularly helpful. Not cheap. Not many used guns.

Ramsey Outdoor Ramsey: slightly larger selection, with a few more used guns. Have been mistreated there and seen others mistreated there. Will not go back again.

Meltzers (forget the town, Bergen county somewhere I believe) - Nice guys, large selection decent prices. Smaller store and not the best parking situation but worth going there.

Ray's - Down on 22 in central Jersey, forget the town - large selection both used and new, range in the store, decent prices for NJ. Counter help is patchy, I've had good and bad.

Gun Exchange/American Armaments on 23 in Butler - Crazy Dave! Very nice guy, completely disorganized store, mostly used guns, not the best prices but I try to give him a shot when I can - good guy.

12GA
March 26, 2004, 10:58 AM
Best
American Shooters Supply Inc., 1702 Central Avenue, Albany
Great selection; knowledgeable staff; decent prices.

Shooter's Highland, 3067 Main Street, Valatie
Good selection, knowledgeable and friendly staff; decent prices

Taylor & Vadney Sporting Goods, 3071 Broadwaym Schenectady
Good selection, knowledgeable staff

Worst

Dick's Sporting Goods, any location
Lousy selection, unfriendly and uninterested staff

MikeB
March 26, 2004, 11:06 AM
Well since no one has listed any in PA yet. Here are some in the Bucks County area.

GOOD

Archery and Gun Outfitters, Montgomeryville, PA.
-Good staff, will get you anything, decent tranfer fees. approx $25 if I recall correctly however usually they have cheaper prices than I can find on the Internet. One negative they stock no reloading supplies.

Tanners, Warwick, PA.
-Good staff, fair prices. Good reloading selection. They also carry fishing and hunting equipment.

BAD

Don's Guns, Montgomeryville, PA.
- Terrible prices. I can travel about a 1/4 mile up the road and get the same item for significantly less. I haven't been able to figure out how they stay in buisness.

Target World, Chalfont, PA.
- Pricing is iffy. Terrible customer service for the most part. Extremely rude staff whenever I've been in.

GUNSMOKE45441
March 26, 2004, 11:11 AM
I would have to put in THE WHITE ELEPHANT in Spokane WA.

They have a lot of everything and what they don't have in stock they will find somewhere.
They usually don't have a lot of time to talk because they're so very busy,their reg. prices are lower than the other shops sale prices.
Both PAT & BILL are outstanding in their knowledge of all items in store.

Regards
Smokey

Noban
March 26, 2004, 11:42 AM
ddj8052 - I've purchased a few guns from Harry at H&S. You unfairly characterize him as rude and arrogant wtih no customer service skills.

To be fair, you should have also said he is a racist.

The place I like to shop is Dodge City in Santa Barbara. I've gotten to know all the guys over the years and I get a resounding "Norm!!!" type of welcome every time I go in. Prices are a little high, but the service is outstanding.

Berg01
March 26, 2004, 11:45 AM
2nd Bucks County, Pennsylvania / S.E. Pennsylvania Gunstore (and I'll include Gunsmiths) Rating;

AFAIK, the Best Gunstore around here is the Handgunner in Topton PA (c/o Randy Hollowbush); Great Prices on S&W & CZs, excellent gun & pistolsmith work, particularly revolvers & 1911s;

Classic Pistol is Southampton PA isn't bad;

Pistolsmiths are George Smith, Evolution Gunworks in Doylestown PA (my hometown), Leckie's in Pipersville, and Custom Arms Co. in Bensalem.

ZekeLuvs1911
March 26, 2004, 11:48 AM
As a followup to Highland Ranger's post

Meltzer's Sporting Goods- In Garfield, NJ. Very nice gentlemen behind the counter. Will talk guns and listen to your opinions on various models. Prices are ok and they have a selection of new guns and a small section on used. They have a lot across the street for parking just for their store. Bought several guns from them in the past. I recommend.

Ray's Sporting Goods- Off of Rt 22W in S. Plainfield. Has indoor pistol range. Huge selection of rifles and pistols. Decent selection of used guns. Prices are slightly high in my opinion. Sales help is ok. I've seen bad and very good. I'm a regular there so they mostly know me by name now. That is good. All gun purchases and transfers through them gets you one free pass for one hour at the range. Range is ok. Does need some work and is a little run down but good enough. Range officers are very good. Witnessed one officer screaming his head off at a guy who kept taking his pistol out of the stall and potentially sweeping the lanes. Bought from them many times. I would try them also.

Heritage Firearms of Rahway- Off St. Georges Ave in Rahway. Decent sales help but you need to be a regular before they really warm up to you. Yes, I'm a regular there also.....:p Good selection of rifles and pistols. Limited in supplies. A great place if you are looking for antiques. Picked up a WW2 1944 Colt 45 there. Prices are ok but with no real budge room. (Even for a regular) In the past, they have refused to hand a pistol to someone I knew because they did not have a purchase permit in hand. This was a long time ago and before a change in ownership. Haven't seen that happen again. I say ok to check out the place.

Walmart-------Crap!!!!!!!!! :fire: :cuss: :banghead: :barf: They do not sell ammo there at all. Avoid at all costs......then again, I would avoid NJ at all costs also.

Contact me if anyone is ever in the area. I can show these places to you.

3screw357
March 26, 2004, 06:35 PM
Since I haven't seen anyone speak up for South Carolina, I may as well.
A couple here in Charleston:
Carolina Rod & Gun is a bit overpriced, but a good group of guys to deal with. Ed is always helpful and offers good advice. Plus you never know what kind of deals you'll find on the used gun racks.

Trader World is cheaper and offers a lot more in the way of bargain guns like ruger's and taurus. Their range can get a little crowded on weekends, but the guys that usually work the range are good. A couple of the sales guys in the store itself could use some help with customer service.

Low country pawn may not have the best selection, but I can't argue with the deal's I've picked up there. I got a unmodified ruger 3 screw in good condition for about $150 because they felt that it had been in their display case to long. Also a Glock 20 with 3 magazines for $360. They may not have been new, but I still feel like I got a good deal on them.

I've gotten one rifle from Wal Mart here and I can definitly say that it will never happen again. Overpriced and with a lousy selection of ammo. Terrible customer service.

Baby Huey
March 26, 2004, 06:50 PM
Best for Tucson:

Definitely Murphy's.

Worst for Tucson:

Centerfire? Right next to the stripbar on Speedway. Prices are outrageous!

Best for Phoenix might be Bear Arms, although I don't know all the others there. Great selection.

Langenator
March 26, 2004, 07:05 PM
Haven't been in SC that long, and only really dealt with a couple of gunshops, and nothing really bad.

Shooter's Choice in West Columbia-Great selection on hunting rifles/shotguns, good handgun selection. Not much in the way of EBRs. Limited selection of reloading stuff. Good amount of accessories and hunting stuff. Prices about average, at least on the handguns I was looking at. Great customer service-I was shopping for a pistol for my wife, had my wife along. They weren't condescending to her at all, and actually recomended a .45 to her-because the recoil is less snappy than .40 or 9mm. Let her test fire the Kimber Ultra Carry that we ended up buying. Nice pistol range-25m, plenty of points, but a bit pricey for me ($6/30 min). Also an indoor rifle range, although I haven't used it.

In Tacoma, WA-Good, although they have caused the RKBA a good bit of recent heartache-Bull's Eye Shooter Supply. Good selection, decent prices. Generally friendly customer service, especially their in-house smith (fixed a gunked-up firing pin on my Kimber at no charge) and the guy who runs the upstairs range most of the time. Range is a bit small (limited # of points) and only 15m. But it's cheap-one base charge for as long as you want to shoot, and free for military and police on the 1st and 15th.

Highland Ranger
March 26, 2004, 10:21 PM
ZekeLuvs1911,
In the past, they have refused to hand a pistol to someone I knew because they did not have a purchase permit in hand.

I think you need to show your Firearms ID card by law but not the purchase permit. Guy was probably sizing up the customer and thinking he was wasting his time.

Never heard of the guy in Rahway but I don't get out much when I am down that way.

Ray's is a real slice of history. My brother actually met Ray; I think he is 120.

ddj8052
March 27, 2004, 01:21 AM
Noban-
Just for the record, I did not ever say he was racist, nor did I say he only treats a certian ethnic group of people one way or the other. I will however stand by what I said he is an Ahole. Just for the record I personaly know of many WHITE (co workers, friends, guys at the range)people who have had the exact same problems with Harry. And for your knowledge I also know 2 personal freinds of Harry who say that yes infact Harry gets in moods and does not like to help people who are "just looking" and his own friends have told him he looses customers because of his attitude. I know for a fact that he has been told of this and refuses to learn how to treat customers. I am sorry but I will not frequent a place with so little customer service. If you choose to continue to buisiness with some one like that the choice is yours. Me, I would prefer to do buisiness with companies that treat EVERYONE with respect. And for the record most people that choose to play the racism card at the drop of the hat are usually them selves racist.

BluesBear
March 27, 2004, 02:14 AM
gp59,

Guntown is right up th street from me. They advertise themselves as the Friendliest Gunshop in Town. While I wouldn't go that far they are decent to deal with. OK prices, they will wheel a deal a little. Transfer prices are too high. But at least they'll never top the charts of dumbest gun rumors.
They just moved to a new building a few months ago and haven't quite grown into the larger one yet.

Try Cascade Pawn just a little further north on 99. Good selection and prices.

Acturally the Lynnwood/Everett area is blessed with more than a few good gunshops.

gp59
March 27, 2004, 09:40 AM
BluesBear, Iv'e heard that cascade pawn was a good place to shop, I will have to come down that way and give them a look see. anything would be better then being snareled at when I ask to see a gun or if they have a part for my gun. take care

:cool: :cool: :) :)

uglymofo
March 27, 2004, 10:36 AM
double post

Zeke Menuar
March 27, 2004, 10:38 AM
Best gun store: The Baron's Den. Rent Tommy Guns. Walt has a lot of rare guns on sale and display. Like going to a museum. He has Lugers, Browning Hi-Powers. Alot of rare rifles and shotguns he won't sell. Great service.

Most improved. S-M Gunshop. I went in there for the first time since moving away from the "People's Republic of Eugene". Marv knocked out the wall and doubled the size of his store. Seems like Marv has aquired some social skills. Selection and prices are still pretty good. He also stocks a lot of gunsmithing stuff that other gunstores don't stock. I went in there needing some release agent, Marv told me how to make release agent. Saved me a few bucks.

Worst? I hate to indentify this guy by name. I'll just say the corner of Main ST and Pioneer Parkway in Springfield. The guy has a very small store with a huge amount of C&R and collectable guns. The problem is the price. My examples are $275 for a CZ-52. $5.00 for a box of Wolf 7.62x39. He is charging at least 200% what the average market price for a given gun. $199 for a PA-63?. He has guns sitting on his rack that were there three years ago when I discovered the place. I tried once to get him down on the PA-63. He wouldn't budge, even when faced with the J&G ad showing them at $99. I expect a store owner to make a profit, but this level of price gouging is ridiculous. I like his stuff. But I won't buy a thing from him.

ZM

BarnsBeware
Best: (Hands down)
Martin B Retting in Culver City. Great Selection
Fair prices
Informative and helpful
CCW stuff
Staff are courteous and really bend over backwards
Don't bat an eye when you say "transfer" - charge state minimum only

Worst: (quote from another thread)"Roll your eyes and sigh heavily because you have to stop telling your best bud the Navy SEEL stories about how you were unofficially attached to the Selous Scouts in Rodesia, and go help a paying customer". Red Star Arms in Culver City, (oddly enough right across the street from Retting - too bad)
If you haven't been to jail or served in the military, or are under 40, you are not welcome.:banghead:
Too bad because the selection is pretty nice, (admittedly) and they mainly do C&R stuff. Prices are fair too, you just have to wait for them to stop running their mouths. How could so nice a shop go so wrong??

On probation:
The Stockade (mentioned in an earlier post by someone else)
Guy on the other end of the phone probably didn't even know what handloading was, and got all indignant that I wanted prices on a Dillon to compare with his other prices on "Special". Can buy cheaper from manufacturer too.. :fire:

Taken with a grain of salt:
WalMart. The one in Compton doesn't sell ammo, but others do. Hey, when they do, they've got the cheapest Winnie White Box around. When I start reloading, they drop off the list too. The service just sucks, but I don't go there to flirt anyway. :scrutiny:

Granted, I've never been "cheated" or "swindled" like some other posters have, so my bad reviews aren't that bad. But I'd pay up to $100 more to any shop with better service. Fortunately, I don't have to. :o

Ky Larry
In Lexington.....

Best is Bud's Gun Shop. Good prices and selection. Good staff. Very friendly. If they don't have it they can get it.

Worst is Antique and Modern Firearms. High prices and very aloof staff.

uglymofo
March 27, 2004, 10:39 AM
I'll second Cascade Pawn. I've dealt with them by mail order, and their service was stellar. Price was fair to good. I had some shipping requirements that put them through the paces, but their performance was excellent and without incident nor complaint.

BarnsBeware
March 27, 2004, 10:55 AM
Oh, and in my travels in New Mexico:

Roswell:

Covey's: Didn't have much of a selection on pistols, but seemed pretty happy to do consigments. Also, they are mainly a gunsmith with a store front, so he sells what he can, primarily for shotgun. For such a small place, the service was pretty damn good. Hell, his wife, who runs the counter, gave me his home phone number once so I could call him directly for a sight-fixing problem. Bend over backwards types. Real nice folks too. Go there first before you hit...

Larry's Discount Gun Shop: Pretty good selection, and they know it. Seem to me like they've been burned by younger folks before, because I just didn't get the warm welcome you should expect in any shop. Good prices too. Honestly, if you know what you want, you're fine. Seems like they'd open up once you became a "paying" customer though. Maybe I just got rubbed the wrong way twice...

Santa Fe:

The Outdoorsman of Santa Fe (in the mall): These guys are a whole bunch of all right. Since I'm a CA resident and was merely visiting, I couldn't have bought much and he was aware of that. Didn't stop him from answering all my questions or from us getting into quite a lively discussion on interstate FFL laws into CA. Really cool layout and selection and DURN GOOD PRICES too, at least I thought so. The guy there even directed me to another store on a non-gun item he just didn't carry. Hell, I can't wait to live there some day, except that I would have to leave my present gun store :(

Rembrandt
March 27, 2004, 11:40 AM
Business travel take me all over the country....I'll have to copy this thread and keep it for future reference.

My favorites have been some of the chain stores....especially "Cabela's" gun library's....quite a selection of upper end collectibles and hard to find pieces. Been to every Cabela's in the country....one of the finest chains anywhere. http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/community/gun/gun-home.jhtml;jsessionid=EZSEOBN12LENYCWQNVCSCOIK0BWUMIWE?hierarchyId=10468&rid=5000115022802

"Scheels Sporting Goods" have about 20+ stores throughout the midwest....classy enviroment, lots of upper end collectibles and one of the largest selections anywhere. http://www.scheelssports.com/store/index.asp?NCP=1

"Collectors Firearms, Simpson's LTD" in Galesburg, Illinois....looks like an average gun shop till they took me back into the "Luger Room"... :eek: ...over 600 Lugers! http://www.simpsonltd.com/index.htm http://www.simpsonltd.com/LugerRoom/lugerrm.htm

Ala Dan
March 27, 2004, 07:38 PM
Favorite:

Simmons Sporting Goods
2001- 2nd Ave North
Bessemer, AL 35020
PX: 205-425-4720

Least Favorite:

Academy Sports
Hoover, AL

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

Jrob24
March 27, 2004, 10:18 PM
I'll throw another vote to Four Seasons Guns. Good prices and polite staff.

The Worstest: WallyMart. The one closest to me lost their ammunition dealing license recently. Good thing, say I.

You must be refering to the one in framingham. At least sports authority still sells ammo.

Atticus
March 27, 2004, 11:03 PM
Favorite:
1) The Powder Room in Powell OH (best attitude - very homey- decent low cost range - low transfer fees- just OK inventory and prices)
2) Vance's Shooters Supply (best inventory and prices - production line "service" "take a number pal")
3) New Albany Shooting Range N.A.S.R. ( Outstanding range- good inventory- high prices (including outrageous tranfer fees)- attitude toward customer falls somewhere between excellent and awefull, depending on the employee).

There are some stores that fall in my least favorite category, but I won't mention them by name. Truthfully, Im not sure if I remember their names exactly...but one is in Westerville OH and another is in New Albany OH(Not NASR). Haven't been in them for a long while. I don't go there due to the attitude of the owners. They don't like people, and don't want to be bothered by them ...and I'm happy to oblige them.

Marcus
March 27, 2004, 11:34 PM
Here are a few more for SE Pa.
Quimby`s in Dublin,Pa. Small family owned/run shop. No black guns. Decent selection for the size of the shop. Real friendly staff. Good selection of used guns for good prices. Archery and clothing too as well as gun repair. I`ve bought quite a few toys there.
Defcon 1 in Coopersburg Pa. Rt.309 Lots of black guns,some Class 3,decent selection of handguns. Blackhawk dealer. Prices aren`t that great but the guys are cool and they`re a little flexible. Good trade in prices too.
I agree with the previous posts about Tanners. Good shop,nice staff,great selection. I have to get over there again sometime soon.
Gun and Archery Outfitters, I was just there today. :) Their prices always struck me as high. I`ve never bought a gun there but I do buy ammo,they always have a pretty good selection of 10mm.
Donn`s Gun Room, I`ve bought a few things there. Prices vary,usually pricey. Staff varies.
Target World, very pricey. Usually arrogant,rude staff. Except for the last time I was in,they were super friendly and really nice. I think I may have taken a wrong turn and gone to the Twilight Zone instead. ;) Marcus

marklbucla
March 28, 2004, 12:49 AM
BarnsBeware, you must have talked to the younger white guy with a buzz cut (Matt?) at Rettings. He's been great to me- really friendly and helpful even though he knew I wasn't in there to buy just yet.
On the other hand, there are a bunch of jerks there too.
I guess I'll be nice and delete all the fingerpointing I originally typed about Retting's.

I've gotten good service from Red Star. I've never bought anything from them, but the two or three times I've been in there, the salesmen were really friendly and eager to show stuff to me without my even asking. From what I understand though, this is an exception.

The general consensus here is that both these shops get a :fire:

I've heard good things about L.A. Guns in the way of their service. Their prices are outrageous for ammo and new handguns, but their service the one time I went in there was really good.

I'm still looking around for another gunshop in the area because I've decided that Retting's isn't getting a single penny more out of me. As of right now, Turners is where I'm dumping the most money. Their selection is OK and their prices are good for the area.

They're not a gunshop, but I also want to plug The Firing Line in Northridge. The manager, Ross Miles is so friendly that I often feel guilty for not buying any ammo/supplies!

BarnsBeware
March 28, 2004, 09:56 AM
marklbucla-

Yeah, its gotten to the point where I can't even walk in RS anymore. I will admit that the older guys seem pretty cool, but most of them probably think I'm just some young punk who came in to ogle, which is what I usually do a couple weeks before I buy.

As far as Retting goes, I'm surprised to hear you had a bad experience. I heard the general consensus was that they were pricey, but not jerks. I talk to all the guys there, and they all seem pretty cool to me. Some are a little more tongue-in-cheek, but I've never really had a bad experience with any of them. And for the record, Matt is pretty cool.

I'll make a special effort to give Red Star another try though. I hate having bad feelings about places (especially gun stores), and I'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt. I just wish I didn't get the feeling that they look down their noses at younger customers.

Then again, we're pretty much starving for good gun stores here in LA, so I guess you take them as you find them. These two are much closer to me than Turners or LAG, but I hit them occasionally too.

marklbucla
March 28, 2004, 01:49 PM
Come to think of it....

Maybe redstar was a little eager to help because I was looking at their FAB-10's! I can't imagine those are selling well at all!

Detritus
March 28, 2004, 01:58 PM
in my experience

Best:
Foutain Firearms
Hwy 6 and Bissonnet in Houston

good selection, decent prices, only a few of the "me behind counter me all knowing" moments that are rife almost everywhere. majority of the time the staff are as helpful as you'd want, though a bit busy at times (one of the most popular shops in houston)

Place i hope for improvement in...
AAMI Firearms in Angleton
Local "Mom & Pop shop" (literaly husband, wife, and a family friend who last time a checked was living in a RV out in the junkyard behind the shop),good service average selection for the size of the shop (25-30'x40'), unfortunately their overhead drives their prices on many new guns up, to the point where many times, like now when i want a SA 1911, it's actually worth the drive to fountain or even carter's country in houston.

so-so (ie some good some bad):
Carter's country (Houston area chain with three locations)
one off of Hwy59 near sugarland has ok service, good selection, good prices on MOST of the guns actually IN the store, but woe unto you if you need something ordered etc (think near or at MSRP)!
other downside is that the "home office" has instituted a real corker of a BS line to be given if/when a customer asks about a brand or line of firearm that is not carried By the store... "those products did not meet our quality standards" which translates out to "the owner of this company (C.C.) either does not LIKE that line for some unknown reason, or they won't give us a big enough 'bulk buy' cost cut for us to make our accustomed margin"
this is a store that sold $220 "firestorm" 1911s (a LLama trade name IIRC) had over half of them COME BACK as defective! STILL sells these as a price point gun below the SA mil-specs. but will NOT EVER stock a savage rifle or mossberg shotgun:fire: this just don't add up to "quality problems"
too bad they're the only semi-decent place that carries my preferred cleaing gear (pro-shot)

Worst (local)
three way LOCAL tie
AJC sports Clute
overpriced, surly staff, owner has stated that he does not give a flying rats rear for his walk in customers, that HIS Business is at the shows and over the net, that he simply keeps the shop open to have a way to make money while storing his stuff between gunshows. one of the "Public Affairs" officers for the local PD (ie one of the guys who does the DARE programs and other little bits of PR adn dealing with the public) who is also one of our local CHL instructors once told me "(the owner of AJC) has been one of my best friends for half my life, He's also one of the Biggest A-Holes i've ever met"

Collector's Firearms,
for all of the reasons listed a page or two back by LeonCarr.... PLUS the fact that they are the one's stocking those hideous abominations that you'll find in the "-insert pistol type here- PUKE!!! :barf: " threads in the auto handguns forum.
these guys along with teh next are the way they are because they happen to be in an area that is overpopulated with people that have a surplus of money and a deficit of time (IE rich, don't know better, don't have time to find out). last time i was in there they had an OLD used SA "Mil-spec" priced like a NIB NRM Colt.

Top Gun
an indoor range and classroom center that has a small gunshop. will try to sell you an entry level High Standard 1911A1 for $500 (MSRP is around $480) owner will lie like a bad rug adn tell you that HS will "eat anything you feed it, they just put this tag on there about '230gr harball ONLY' to cover their tail this thing will swallow ANYTHING" again their sales come from a customer base that does not have the time or inclination to shop around.

all time worst
GunWorks
Raleigh NC
grew up about a half hour from this place.....
overpriced on most things surly jerk behind counter, bad info half the time when you asked questions, couldn't look at a pistol without a permit (NOT state law then don't know about now, but then only THEY were that way).
best way to sum it up......
Anybody Know if it's even LEGAL for a person on heavy anti-psychotics to posess an FFL (esp someone who reportedly was still "borderline" even ON the meds).

wolf
March 28, 2004, 02:12 PM
i shop rettings...consider this...being that it is one of the few shops in west LA..the shop must have a many "customers"..it would rather not deal with at all.."hey, can i see that dirty harry gun.."

First couple of visits, i felt they did not even notice me...and the owner could care less...now several of the sales folks recognize me and i understand the "vibe" in the store, particularly on weekends.

yesterday the owner sold me some ammo and he did recognize me..but still..its not a hardware store where you swap "war stories"..if it turned into that, you would need a reservation to shop there.

prices seem a bit under MSRP and they do transfers...have not tried to deal with them on "web price" vs store price..but I'm sure they do deal.

My other gun store choice would be oaktree in newhall, which has become my fave range.

wolf

marklbucla
March 28, 2004, 02:24 PM
its not a hardware store where you swap "war stories"..if it turned into that, you would need a reservation to shop there.

It is. That's just one of the many complaints about them.

Nightfa11
March 28, 2004, 09:32 PM
I like the Gun shop here in Ozark Mo. The guy specializes in military rifles. He has them out so you are free to handle them without asking for everything. He does have his handguns locked up though. I also like Gunslinger Gun shop in Springfield Mo.
Honorable mention- The gun shop in Claycomo Mo. The ONLY gun shop I have ever been to that I didn't like was one in Nixa Mo. I walked in to look at some things and was treated like I was bothering them.

I might just have to make a trip out to Ozark, then.

The gunshop in Claycomo is the Centerfire range. I have a membership there and will take my CCW there when the time comes. Fun place to go and very nice people. I didn't end up buying my gun from them (didn't have quite what I wanted) but I have been back to purchase other stuff and shoot at their range.

So far, every place in the Kansas City area has been good to me. Good advice all around as well. Denny's Guns, Bullet Hole, Gun Shop. All good places to go.

Andrew P
March 28, 2004, 09:46 PM
So far in th Nashville Area I have found the following:

Better than most:
Middle Tennessee Guns and Ammo, Symrna, TN
Mike is a nice guy ex Army knows his stuff prices are great, does tranfers for 10 bucks very small shop limited selection

Gun City: Nashville, crazy prices service is good though 2 old guys in there are fun to talk to indoor range

On Target Murfreesboro good guys, indoor range they like to do consignment for you, too bad it burnt down, they are rebuilding

Usletons Goodletsville
Prices are so so indoor range that costs way to much to shoot on, modeartely friendly staff, they cater to all the Nashville Big Wigs

Worst
Specialty Arms LaVernge
Over priced over rated, sells alot of junk guns unfriendly act they dont even want you there. They treat you like you are stupid, they throw out alot "knowledge"

entropy
March 29, 2004, 11:13 AM
Put an 870 on layaway at the one in Eau Claire, WI before they told my friend that they didn't carry the Berreta Storm because it 'isn't politically correct' If the 870 weren't such a good deal, I'd have told them to keep it.
BTW, they had several Savage 110LE's and Rem. Sendero 700's, not to mention a whole wall of 'black' Browning weapons, and the Storm is politically incorrect?!:barf:
Thumbs up for the Mercantile, downtown Eau Claire, many very politically incorrect guns:D , and nice folks to boot.:) D&B in Eau Claire is also a nice place, not too many places leave a dummy sten gun out for folks to handle, lotsa milsurp guns and ammo, they let me try a case out with one of their Kel-Tec SUB2000's to checkfit for mine, ammo prices are kind of hit and miss. I found a 250 rd. 'battle pack' of Santa Barbra 9mm for $28, but they tried to charge me $80 for a 340 Rd. tin of Albainian 7.62x54R! I politely passed. I'll be back to all three places, but only to pick up the 870 at Scheels.:rolleyes:

Penforhire
March 29, 2004, 05:30 PM
Near Orange County CA,

I'll second a much earlier plug for Gold Coast Trading in Westminster. I overcome their stiff pricing by ONLY buying from 'em at the local gun shows. Walk in the store and prices are inflexible. Go to the show and they'll deal.

Turners chain is like an upscale Walmart. Their people know more about guns, but not a lot more. I like their ammo sale prices and selection though. They get a decent amount on consignment too, worth shopping every couple of weeks.

I also have to put a positive note in for Flag Guns in north Fullerton. I went there to buy a six-pack of 357/38 Spec snap caps, needing one more to fill a 686+. They wouldn't sell me the pack, just broke it open and GAVE me one for free. Tiny shop, not a great selection, but I'll have to buy something there to keep up my good karma.

Rogomay
March 29, 2004, 09:34 PM
Franklin Gun Shop in Franklin Tennessee.

Gump
March 29, 2004, 09:41 PM
Galyans in Danver's has great prices and selection but there have a few really bad salesmen and one good one. They got a kid behind the counter that just doesn't want to help you.

Went here on Saturday and bought my fist box of ammo:D

euclid
March 29, 2004, 09:45 PM
TEXAS

I have seen a few SE Texas shops listed here and I need to add name to the growing list of people that think COLLECTORS gun shop is just bad.

They have a very impressive inventory but their prices are absolutely OUTRAGEOUS. Period. I have been there twice and I left both times wondering how they stay in business with prices like that.

I would also like to add that, for a city the size of Houston, most of the gunshops here suck. When I lived in Michigan, New Mexico, Arizona, Alaska and North Texas I was always able to find a decent gun shop. Since I moved to Houston I have not been able to locate one that has reasonable prices. Thanks GOD for the gunshows that roll through town every month!

Rant OFF.

phantomak47
September 24, 2005, 02:23 PM
Dug up this thread the other day, and I would like to add one of the top ten worst gun shops in the United States...

The Powder Horn on Cape Cod, Ma is worst gunshop I have ever gone to. Every time you enter their store, the stop whatever their doing and follow you around as if you are going to steal something.

They have used guns that are way overpriced, I found a beretta 92 that was heavily used over $200 than the same pistol NEW at Fourseasons in woburn.

I asked questions and they were extremely rude to me and didnt seem to know much about their products.

I cant understand why this place is still in buisness..........

gulogulo1970
September 24, 2005, 04:34 PM
Mostly I buy on online auctions, I've been very lucky so far. No dogs, yet... I don't really have a favorite gunshop anymore.

Its not really a gunshop but Dick's sporting goods is my least favorite place to ever be except for maybe prison or Hell. I hate that place with a passion. I really liked it when it was a Gaylan's and bought three guns there.

del4
September 24, 2005, 07:17 PM
Jim's firearms in Baton Rouge, La.- outstanding selection everything from Tauras to Les Baer to Styer AUGs, great staff

Benton Shooting Supply in Benton Tn. - Again, outstanding selection, all long guns are out in the open not behind the counter. You can handle a thousand guns if you want. You can compare guns back and forth all day long without dealing with a salesman. Great gun shop out in the middle of nowhere.

Gunshops in NW Florida are horrable. All reloading stuff has to be mail ordered. Mike's here in P'cola has improved a whole lot though.

Off topic, here in Pensacola, there is an old defunct gunshop with an indoor range waiting for someone to buy it. Just about no real competition and plenty of shooters. It has been for sale for a couple of years.

afasano
September 24, 2005, 08:26 PM
Least favorite one that's closed ;) :D

Rufus Pisanus
September 24, 2005, 08:58 PM
My two favorites in the Baltimore area are:

Duffy's gun gallery (for friendliness and good prices)

and

Walter's Gun Chamber (for selection)

Continental Arms is also pretty good.

Least favorite gun shop? that's an oxymoron to me!

larry starling
September 24, 2005, 09:00 PM
Favorite: Mid south firearms in NC. Really nice selection of older collectable firearms.

The bullet hole in Monroe, nc nice people and I use their range alot.

Jim's in Fayetteville, Nc nice selection prices tend to be on the high side though. really good layaway policy they will give you up to 2 years on those really expensive items.

Least favorite: Hyatt's in Charlotte, nc expensive and sales people have no clue to what there trying to sale. And they want $100 more than MSRP on a blue Colt Goldcup.....***?

:evil:

denfoote
September 24, 2005, 10:25 PM
Favorites in decending order:

Mandall Shooting Supplies, Scottsdale AZ (RIP). Sadly, the owner retired and it is no longer in business. It was one of a dying breed. A place to shoot (Range in the basement), buy guns, and generally hobnob and shoot the S**t!!!!

Pistol Parlour, Mesa AZ. Good prices. But no range and more impersonable.

Lone Wolf Trading Company, Glendale AZ. Good prices. Not a place to hang out or shoot (no range).

Least favorite.

Straight Shooter Guns. This goof told me that it was against federal law to carry in a gun shop!!! On my way out, I told him he was, to say the least, F'ed in the head. He was/is a major Jennings/ Bryco dealer, presumably he has a lot of gangpunk customers. I never see anybody else in the store when I go by. Oh, his prices are through the roof!!!

Quality Gun Works, Tolleson AZ. This guy is alright, as far as it goes, but he has weird hours (he closes at 1400 hrs on a SATURDAY), and his selection sucks!!!!

lawandorder
September 24, 2005, 10:35 PM
It seems like there are 2 or 3 others with this same name in posts above.Maybe the name causes it.
Don's in North Little Rock has the very worst customer service I have ever seen in any retail establishment. They have that "better than thou" and "I know everything about every gun ever made" down to an art.
Sure is a shame because for a town this size there are hardly any true gun stores.

dakotasin
September 24, 2005, 10:55 PM
haven't seen s.d. listed, which is too bad because i'd like to compare notes!

also, since quite a few of the people reading this will be here in about 3 weeks (pheasant season opener), here's a couple names:

good (in no particular order):
jack first in rapid city. not an overly friendly staff, and not a lot of guns, but lots of shooting and reloading gear, good place to find obscure parts.

gary's gun shop in sioux falls. friendly, knowledgeable staff, a good selection of guns, lots of accessories - they have about everything. prices are very good. indoor shooting range... if you want it, they likely have it in stock (except the ultra-rare sig 229 40 12-round mags :scrutiny: ).

sportsman's warehouse in sioux falls. if you want it, they have it (even the ultra-rare sig 229 40 12-round mags). period. very knowledgeable staff, friendly enough, a little lacking in binocular and gps selection, but passable. massive store.

decent (in no particular order):
scheels in sioux falls. don't care for the sales staff, but they do have competitive prices. biggest drawback is only the 2nd floor is gun-stuff.

leader in mitchell. fair amount of guns, true mom-and-pop operation (great folks, btw). they don't have the floor space to display all their guns, so sometimes you'll have to ask, but they likely have the gun you want. powder selection is passable. scope, binoculars, and spotting scope selection is anemic, but at least they carry some (nikon, leupold, swift, sightron, steiner, and burris). component bullet selection is good, loaded ammo selection is better than average. if his gun prices were a little more competitive, this store would stand alone at the top of my list in the 'excellent' category. still, i buy a lot of guns from there, because they are good people, and they do get the prices 'close enough'.

scheels in rapid city. just a very bland store, but they do seem to have good prices and a staff that knows something. also stock uncommon guns.

places to avoid (no particular order):
cabela's in mitchell. staff is passably knowledgeable, but it is damned hard in there to get help w/ something (walked in once w/ cash in hand to buy a springfield, and it took me almost 2 hours to get out of the store - most of that time begging for somebody to come over and let me please give you money... yesterday, walked in w/ cash in hand to buy binoculars and a gps, and after an hour of trying to get somebody to please take money from me, i left and dropped a ton of money at sportsmans warehouse - in and out of sw in 15 minutes). good selection of everything outdoors, but no niche stuff. still... you'll go there anyway, because you want to see what the noise is about - and cabela's does a fantastic job w/ their dioramas, and providing something for non-hunters/outdoors people to entertain themselves w/ while you shop.

everson gunsmithing in mitchell. run from this store. the guy will rob you absolutely blind on gunsmithing, and bill for work he hasn't done. he will also do his level best to rip you off on gun/accessory prices. word has spread on him, and he is really struggling to stay in business - the front half of his store is now a pawn shop. stay away. there is nothing in there that can't be had in better shape for a better price somewhere, anywhere, else.

there y' go... i named names.

21bvet
February 22, 2008, 10:51 PM
I have lived in alaska and wisconsin all my life so here are my thoughts.

alaska:

good: ak shooters supply, alaska tactical, and tudor guns. all three of these shops took exceptional care of their customers. they knew what they were talking about on just about everything and carried alot of what anybody would need. for accessories alaska tactical won hands down, but their prices were sometimes off. for prices ak shooters supply was usually on top. gene dale over at alaska tactical is one of the best smith & wesson pistolsmiths i have had the pleasure of meeting as well. i had him custom up several wheel guns over the years.

bad: wild west guns. they claim some glamorous title as the best in the state and it bewilders me. i took a s&w wheel gun in to them on a short notice fix when i first moved to the area. they were suppose to replace the rear sight and i got it back with a hammer push off. then tried to tell me the gun was junk and i should buy one of their rugers. i left pissed. went to gene, he had the whole action rebuilt in a day and it was good as new. unless it has changed these guys are not trustworthy and their prices were just as bad.

wisconsin:

good: Lauer Customs in Chippewa is the king of tactical. I don't think anyone will dispute it. There are two small shops I deal with for alot of regular needs. Both are in Medford and even with it being an hour drive, worth the distance. One is KRK firearms out on hwy 64 east of town. kevin will do whatever he can to see you smile on the way out the door. The other is main street guns downtown medford. it is what i consider a treasure shop. you can walk in there on any given day and find some gem, probably slightly used, that you always wanted and the price is enough to put a tear in your eye. Thats a treasure shop summed up the best i can. they also do pretty reasonable deals on bulk ammo. another good stop in the area is oemigs in stanley and badger sports in thorp. not huge selections, but good people who will sell it to ya straight. the merchantile in eau claire can also be good, but you may have to sort through layers of junk to find what your looking for.

bad: i stay away from scheels along with every other person in the area. poor service, opinionated management, and hit and miss pricing keeps me away pretty good. go to gander if your on that side of town. at least the people there are good to you, and sometimes the deals are too.

au1776
February 23, 2008, 12:09 AM
Couple more in GA:

Good:

Autrey's Armory, Fayetteville GA- Good selection, nice simple indoor range, pretty good staff. Prices aren't especially good, but they're competitive and sometimes better than average.

Clyde Armory, Athens GA- Again, the prices aren't shockingly low, and neither is the selection. However, it is well-rounded and the staff is the most helpful I've come across. If I knew someone who was buying their first gun and wanted to avoid the annoyingly expert-at-everything salesperson, I'd send them here.

Not as good:

Franklin's, Athens GA- Anyone from GA knows they have a ton of stuff, and I'm sure deals can be had. It is a pretty popular place. However, if you're looking for assistance, it is in short supply here. Prices are hit or miss, and in my experience it is often the latter. There is a lot to be said about having a gun store like this nearby, but popularity dictates that they don't have to earn your business.

politicalgeek
February 23, 2008, 12:34 AM
Vance's in Central OH is one of my favorites, great selection and friendly, knowledgeable staff.

My other favorite, though I have never bought guns there, is Ohio Valley Outdoors in Lancaster,OH. I have a membership to their range. Nice place. Browsing tends to be a bit easier than Vance's, usually not as much volume as Vance's has. This is the store I got my 20 gauge #3 buck from. Had just bought a new to me 20 gauge and wanted some HD ammo. Tried several places, no luck. Stopped at Ohio Valley, they didn't have any but the clerk made 3-4 phone calls to their other stores and had some shipped up.

Ala Dan
February 23, 2008, 01:23 AM
Worst:

You can add Mark's Outdoors in Vestavia Hills, AL to the worst category.
Rude, Ruthless, and Don't Give A Dam 'bout any customer entering their
store not dressed in a suit-'n tie~! :eek: :(

Kind of Blued
February 23, 2008, 01:51 AM
NOBODY here from Colorado?!?!?

I've only been here 7 weeks, and while I've been to about six shops, I only recall a few of their names.

Jensen Arms (Loveland, CO) - AWESOME if you like tacticool stuff and well-made pistols. They don't carry any JUNK and, while they specialize in EBRs and Wilson Combat 1911s, they don't overstock the shelves with stuff out of the working man's price range. They also had crates of Mosins with the top propped back, just out on the floor with a sign that said "Mosin Nagants $70. Take your pick!" or something of the sort. Check them out on gunbroker.com, seller name Jensen_Arms.

Gunsmoke Gunsmithing (Wheat Ridge) - Poor selection, but what they do have is really high dollar stuff. A couple racks of "working man's guns". They seem to hinge their income on teaching classes as well as their gunsmithing, which I have heard horrible things about, unless its a 1911.

There was one on maybe 44th & Lowell or something that had a nice selection. Older guys, pretty much guns and nothing else. Everything from a small wall of Kentucky rifles to one or two 1911 race guns.

Back in Kansas City...

The Bullet Hole (Overland Park) - GREAT RANGE! Knowledgable staff. Good selection for their limited size. Prices are usually high, but they'll be up front with you if they can't afford your price. Most all of their money seems to come from the range.

Olathe Gun Shop (Olathe) - I LOVE THAT PLACE. INCREDIBLY courteous staff. They truly seem to love their job. Usually have a nice variety of used stuff. Decent ammo selection. Totally fair prices.

NWdude83
February 23, 2008, 04:32 AM
I'm just going to review the gun stores I've been to.

BullsEye Shooter Supply - Tacoma, Wa
Good customer service. Usually don't carry what I want in stock. Ok-good prices.

Federal Way Discount Gun - Federal Way, Wa
Ok customer service, a little snooty/picky. Usually carry what I want in stock. Good prices.

Sportsman's Wharehouse - Federal Way, Wa
Good customer service. Some don't really know much. Usually carry what I want in stock. Ok-good prices.

Bear Arms - Kent, Wa
Poor customer service, a-holes. Don't carry anything good. Ok-bad prices. Has been over a year since I've been in there, might be different now.

zulu6
February 23, 2008, 09:02 PM
Worst gun shop ever: Gator Guns - West Palm Beach, FL. They do everything they can possibly do to not sell guns.

My Fave: Lee's Pawn & Gun Shop - Margate, FL. Will get you anything you want and do it at the right price.

Way to go Lee.

Vaarok
February 23, 2008, 10:30 PM
Here's the scoop for CNY:

Best:

Creek Road Guns And Ammo, in Morrisville

Small selection, but a frightening amount of stuff moves through there. Tom's a great guy, there is literally every caliber I have ever heard of in stock (including H&H, BMG, wildcats, and lord knows what else), dies for same, and prices are way cheap. Transfer fees are $15, and god, the spare parts and neat stuff he has squirreled away on the top shelves and in the garage.

K&K Train and Hobby, Utica (right off French Road, under the overpass)

Bill and George have a sorta-static selection, mostly because the really good stuff always moves fast, prices seem to oscilate between high market and dirt cheap (I turned down a like-new SAR-2 with mags today for $350, and have gotten 'surps for half of market), good selection of ammo, and very friendly to deal with. Transfers are high, and they don't pay squat on trade-ins or buying outright. Large selection of handguns.

The bad:

Shootin' Shed, West Winfield

It's twenty minutes from my driveway. I drive past it twice to get to Creek Road and K&K, both almost an hour away from home. Prices are obscene, selection is stagnant, owner is unfriendly, transfer fee is $50 in advance.

Franks' Shooting Supply, Canastota

Owner is notoriously unfriendly, stock is stagnant, prices are fair but high, many customers of the two good shops have had bad experiences and refuse to go there, and I've never disagreed with their appraisals. Also, the shop's at the bottom of a huge-ass five-mile hill that burns gas to climb back up to get to the main road.

Franks Guns, Marcy

Static, almost dead inventory. Cramped, expensive, widely believed to survive solely on sales of ammunition to the State Trooper barracks four mailboxes down the road. Owner has rubbed many customers the wrong way, and is unconcerned about the presence of customers, much less their buying experience. Prices are moderate.

bensdad
February 23, 2008, 11:20 PM
Gander Mt.:
There are a couple. Nobody at either store knows anything about firearms and/or ammunition. They do, however, carefully screen their staff to ensure that no employee who works behind the gun counter will ever make eye contact with a customer, so the fact that they know absolutely nothing has little or no effect on the buying public. Their prices are about right, assuming that you don't care about your money and wish to part with all of it quickly.

Cabela's:
We have a couple of them within an hour of the Twins now. One to the NW, and the other to the South in Owatana. The staff are as knowledgeable as one can expect from a big-box store - it's hit or miss with who offers to help you. Tom B., down at the Owatanna store, is great to work with. Their prices are mixed. Go in knowing ballpark figures so you don't get taken. I've gotten a few awsome deals there.

Ahlman's:
It's in the middle of nowhere, between Cabela's South and the Twin Cities. They have more guns than you can shake a stick at. Very knowledgeable staff, and very helpful/friendly. Prices are high, but they'll talk about it. The place smells musty and mildewy on the way in... don't let it put you off.

B&B Sporting Goods:
This place is not a gunstore. They have hockey stuff, soccer stuff, jerseys, archery, etc. But they have a small selection of arms. They also have two of the friendliest, most knowledgeable, patient, cool, accomodating fellows I've ever done business with. They both know guns backwards and forwards. I learn something every time I go in the place. Prices are fair. They will order anything you need. Don knows archery as well. I try to buy something there whenever I'm in Faribault.

J&S Custom:
This is in Lakeville, right across the freeway from Gander Mt. I've never felt welcome there. Their prices are high. They deal mainly in high-end AR stuff. Frankly, I have no idea how they stay in business.

NWdude83
February 23, 2008, 11:36 PM
Updates: Sportsman's Wharehouse, where do they find these newbs?! Haven't heard of the Sig P250... Oh and even BullsEye who sent guys to Shot Show! Haven't heard about the new polymer striker-fired pistol from Para.

Treo
February 24, 2008, 12:43 AM
For favorite I guess I have to pick The Sertoma Sportsmans Expo & Gun Show at the Phil Long Expo Center. I don't buy my guns in gun stores.

If it HAS to be an actual Gunstore. Specialty Sports on Fountain & Murray Got to be the largest gun shop I've ever been in.The staff is fairly knowledgeable & freindly, but they are just a little proud of their merchandise.

TIE FOR WORST

Whistling Pines Gun Club I walked in there once to ask some questions about holsters, when I asked the counter guy about his holster he got all weird and actually squared off like he was going to draw on me.

THE ABSOLUTE WORST

Dragon Mans Paint Ball Park & Shooting Range.

Its Mall Ninja Heaven they hold machine gun shoots every year ( not bad in and of itsself)

as soon as you cross the property line your on video there are signs posted every where stating that killer dogs rome the premisis at night & that anyone caught there after dark will be killed. the actual gunstore looks like a bunker & has a 4X8 plywood sign that says that anyone who carrys a firearm in the store will be assumed to be a robber and shot. I went there ONCE I haven't seen so much camoflage since I ETS'd .

Once you're actually in the store the owner is friendly enough & his price is cost plus 10% he pays for the background check.

I just object on principle to patronizing any business that threatens to kill me twice before I make it in the front door.

entropy
February 24, 2008, 12:55 AM
Lauer Customs in Chippewa is the king of tactical. I don't think anyone will dispute it.

Roger that. The only way I could afford to shop there is to work there, but if I did that, I'd never leave there with money in my pocket! :what::)

Someday, when the kids are older, I would like to work there and put the training the Army gave me to good use.

jakemccoy
February 24, 2008, 01:25 AM
Least Favorite:
Guns, Fishing & Other Stuff - Vacaville, CA. They have a "No Ammo" policy upstairs where the guns are. I think that, because of this policy, the safety practices by the employees are absolutely horrible. Everybody is constantly breaking most or all the Safety Rules. Aso, the policy necessarily means they don't want CCW holders up there.

Most Favorite:
I honestly have not found a shop worthy of this title. My overall favorite online shop is Cabela's because of the great customer service.

NWdude83
February 24, 2008, 02:26 AM
Forgot one.

Marksman Puyallup, Wa
Good customer service. Have some of the stuff I want, some of the time. Good-ok prices.

ieszu
February 24, 2008, 10:37 AM
Lived in a bunch of places...so here are some of my views from around the country...

Bullseye - San Rafael, CA: Good place, friendly staff, prices are a bit high but it is the only one in the area, so that is to be expected. Range as well, very nice to have when I go back and educate the liberals back there.

Anthony Arms and Accessories - West Mifflin, PA: Unfriendly, high prices, and their customer service just place sucks. But they do have a nice selection and it is well laid out. Also has a range, not sure what status is, was told they didn't feel like opening it up that day.

John Brown's Armory - Rochester, PA: Friendly, small selection, mostly C&R and Milsurp, handgun selection is cramped, but they do offer layaway, which is nice for students. Transfer fee is $25.

The Firing Line - Pearl River, NY: Rude, tells you what you are going to buy, charges MSRP on everything but ammo, which he doubles his cost on, unless he thinks he can away with more. Used guns are priced at whatever he thinks he can get, saw him try to sell a guy a used 10/22 for $400.... claimed it was a rare model, merely for having 444 somewhere in the serial number. Range has an "initial fee" of $100 plus $20 per person, per day. Surcharge on credit cards, has to order everything and doesn't tell you when in comes in. $80 for a transfer fee, and then charges you the county fee of $10.

Eric F
February 24, 2008, 10:42 AM
Best cabellas in dundee MI just because of the selsection

Worst is a tie Between Hess guns in norfolk va owner is a jerk and the Marks man in Newport news va the whole crew are a bunch of uneducated buffoons that make up everything as they go.

NWdude83
February 24, 2008, 01:59 PM
Damn I must be loosing my mind, I forgot another one!

Cabelas Lacey, Wa
Good customer service. Didn't have anything good, was dissapointed at the size of their selection. Ok-bad prices.

Deanimator
February 24, 2008, 04:27 PM
Good:

Dick's Gun Room - (I think) Cuyahoga Falls, OH - Excellent selection especially of real target rifles and handguns, friendly and usually knowledgeable staff, excellent selection of books and accessories. Not cheap, but far from the most outrageous that I've seen in Ohio.

Pro Arms - Cuyahoga Falls, OH - Excellent selection of handguns, semi-auto rifles and tactical shotguns. Good holster and ammunition selection. Sells Dillon accessories. Decent prices, especially on ammunition. Recently moved to a different location on the same block after a fire. Have a range.

The rest of the not bad stores/ranges around Cleveland/Akron are so-so. B&T in Lorain has a decent small range, but a LOUSY selection of guns. Friendly staff makes up for a lot. B&T (same people) in Middleburg Heights has an OK selection, but HIGH prices on some things. They wanted almost $100 more for a 3" Model 64 Smith than CDNN. I guarantee you it wasn't in $100 better shape. Reasonably friendly staff.

Bad:

Can't remember the name - Brunswick Hills, OH - Ok selection, INSANELY rude counter man/"gunsmith". Whenever his name is mentioned people who know him say, "THAT *******???" Previous owners were extremely friendly with decent prices. Has a range. I haven't been there since 1999, and as long as the gunsmith is alive and working there, I will never go.

Stonewall - Near intersection of Rt. 82 and I-77. Reasonably well stocked store with ok prices. Great holster selection. Sometimes allow their offensive friends to hang around loudly running their mouths, driving customers away with racist and sexist "humor". THE most dangerous range I've been on in Ohio. Virtually NO supervision. The last time I shot there I was swept by a guy with a Ruger semi-auto with the slide closed. A few minutes later three guys yelling at each other in Serbo-Croatian wrestled over a loaded Remington 870. I haven't been on the range since. I like to shoot, but I'm not DYING to shoot.

shootinshed
March 30, 2008, 05:22 PM
From the statements he's made, I don't believe he's ever been in the Shootin' Shed. The transfer fee is $25.00 and they send their FFL to the other dealer in an envelope they provide, address, and stamp for you. If you buy a gun from him he mounts the scope and bore sights it free along with a free range session so you can finish sighting it in. They have about 100 handguns in stock and about 200 long guns and are willing to order any firearm you want if they don't have it. If you want to get started reloading they will let you start by using their equipment and show you how.
Comments about K&K and Franks in Marcy were equally error filled. You probably ought to visit each place and see for yourself.

nwilliams
March 30, 2008, 06:56 PM
Favorites when I lived in Prescott, Arizona.....

Prescott Valley Guns: Prescott, AZ
Great service, amazing prices, I've purchased dozens of guns from these fine folks!

Bill's Trading Post: Prescott, AZ
Bill can find you whatever you want for the best prices, a classic old fashion gun shop that does business the old fashion way! No credit cards accepted here and no cussing while in his shop!

So,So....

J&G Sales: Prescott, AZ
A couple staff members there are great but a number of them are pretty poor when comes to gun knowledge and customer service skills, although they think they know it all. Over the years I bought mostly C&R guns from J&G and a lot of ammo. J&G is a fun place to browse but I did most of my gun buying at other shops in the area (see above).

Least favorites....

High Country Guns & Knives: Prescott, AZ
Highest prices in town and customer service is a bit lacking, in the years I lived in Prescott I think I only ever purchased one or two guns here.

Favorites in Santa Fe, New Mexico....

The Outdoorsman of Santa Fe
The only truly great gun shop in this town, the staff is great, the prices are fair and I've found some truly amazing deals here. They have a great selection and they know how to to treat their customers well.

Least Favorites....

Tina's Range Gear
Pretty much the only other gun store in Santa Fe and its a shame. Featured in the movie No Country For Old Men this gun shop isn't horrible but I find their prices a bit steep at times and their customer service could use some improvement. I've had several very poor experiences dealing with this place and I try to avoid going there unless I want to use the indoor range.

ambulldog
March 30, 2008, 07:12 PM
The best: Coal Creek Armory in Knoxville, TN. Best prices and staff.

JustinL
March 30, 2008, 07:45 PM
Wow, a 4 year old thread!

Since nobody has chimed in about Jacksonville, here goes

1. Shooter's: Best selection in the area & they seem to have the best prices on new handguns, at least in comparison to their competitors. They have also moved into a new and rather spacious store with ample parking.

2. Gun Gallery: More cramped and less selection than Shooter's but easily the most pleasant staff in town. They seem to have better prices when it comes to longarms than does Shooters.

3. Bullseye Gun & Pawn: More expensive than either of the two stores above, but they periodically have a 25% off used gun sale and then there are great deals to be had! The big guy behind the counter is always plesant, the lady there always seems preoccupied.

4. St. Nick's: They are way out of my way and have I have only been there once. Their selection is terrific, but their prices are pretty high. I cannot comment on the staff b/c I just don't know.

5. Wild West Gun & Pawn: Again, out of my way and I do not know as much. They carry a lot of product and have told me "they will not be undersold" but their sticker prices are as high as anybody else in town.

I hope this helps.

Tribal
March 30, 2008, 07:52 PM
In Virginia (in my experience):

Good:
My favorites are Bob's Gun Shop in Norfolk and A&P in Virginia Beach. Bob's has the edge in service (and Bob is an active supporter of RKBA and is the reason there's a gun show that comes to Norfolk); A&P has better prices but the salesmen aren't always completely familiar with their merchandise. I'd recommend either one.

Blue Ridge Arsenal doesn't have a huge selection of guns but they've got a decent range of accessories, their gun prices are good, and the staff are friendly.

Okay:
Sportsman's Warehouse, Dick's, Gander Mtn, and Bass Pro (in various parts of the Commonwealth) are all roughly the same: overpriced (but not usually obscenely so), but with occasional good deals. Dick's has very little selection (and no pistols or exotic rifles); the other two seem to have a good range of general accessories while not having anything exotic.

Not-So-Good:
The Marksman is...well, The Marksman. Some of the staff, especially Janet, are very friendly, but their prices are appalling. Last I saw, they had a used PLR-16 priced at $600 (you can get a new one from Dark Sun for $450 at a gun show). They have a used Springfield Micro 1911 that I covet but it's very overpriced as well. They seem to do most of their business as a range and by providing training; I was happy with the CCW training I got there.

Green Top has a great selection and it's fun to look at their stuff, but I'm never shopping there again. For my very first gun (back when I didn't know a darn thing), one of the salesmen sold me a Taurus Millennium when I'd asked for a Kahr. I exchanged it and bought my USPc there instead (figuring that everyone makes mistakes sometimes). Later times, I was often ignored or talked down to. What did it for me was when I'd bought two guns from them, later thought better of it, and called them to ask if I could return them unfired. I wasn't sure what their response would be; I didn't outright expect them to say "yes" but I also knew that they regularly did so. The guy I spoke to said that it wouldn't be a problem, so I drove on out to Richmond...whereupon the manager told me that of course they'd never do that and that at best he could buy them back for about 2/3 of the sale price. I feel as though they lied to me, and thus have lost my business.

There's a store in Christiansburg whose name I can't remember, but the staff were cranky and yelled at me for asking where the 7.62x39 ammo was (it was lying in little boxes on the ground away from all the other ammo).

Sadly, Potomac Arms is no more.

45Guy
March 30, 2008, 07:59 PM
We don't have any local store's unless I drive at least 30 minutes south.

Favorites:

-Scheel's- Always helpful, knowledgeable, friendly, good selection of long guns, decent selection of handguns, good prices

- Sportsman's Warehouse- EXTREMELY good costumer service, one clerk spent 45 mins showing my gf any handgun she wanted and explaining everything when she was picking her first. Ammo is a bit high though.

- Precision Sports- one the the locals to the south, very helpful, knowledgeable. Remembered me a year after I stopped in for the first time, and hadn't been back.

Worst:
- Gander Mountain- Bad service, horrid prices (wanted $100 more for a SP101 than Scheel's) on guns, ammo & accesories.

Feud
March 30, 2008, 08:19 PM
My personal favorite is:

Bear Mountain Sports, Mesa, AZ

They've always been to the point, courteous, helpful, and professional, with great prices too boot. They've always treated me well, and I'll be a loyal customer until they don't.

Gun Slinger
March 30, 2008, 08:38 PM
The Best Gunshops: (rated on a maximum scale of 4 :)'s )

Fin, Fur and Feathers near Wooster, OH. :):):)
Large, diverse selection of handguns and long guns, prices are pretty decent, too. Service is acceptable.

Black Wing Shooting Center just west of Delaware, OH. :):):)
Brand new facilty, excellent automated indoor ranges rated for rifle and pistol, prices tend toward the high side (MSRP), bit the staff is friendly and helpful.

Vances in Columbus, OH. :):):):)
Fairly large handgun and long gun selection, prices are excellent (lowest of the "best" shops) and service is OK. It does tend to get a bit crowded there on the weekends and after 5 p.m. on weekedays, but it is a good place to find good deals at since they do generate alot of volume.

Cabelas in Dundee, MI. :):)
Big store, lots to see. Hey its Cabelas! Ammunition prices tend to be rather high, but it is a nice place to go and look (drool) Firearms prices are not too bad either. Very, very, very crowded on weekends especially during hunting season. Surprise!

The Worst Gunshops: (rated on a maximum scale of four :barf:'s)

Gander Mountain in Toledo, OH. :barf::barf::barf:
Moderate selection, mediocre service and insane prices! They have used handguns that are in less than "fair" conditon priced signifcantly above the same gun model "NIB" found elsewhere in town. The vast majority of their long guns (rifles/shotguns) have 'rack wear' from from being handled many, many times by careless customers and then being replaced roughly/uncaringly back into the gun racks. These guns are also priced at 'NIB' prices despite an incredible abundance of nicks, scuffs, dings, scratches, scrapes and even(!) missing front sights.

Cleland's Outdoor World just west of Toledo, OH. :barf::barf::barf::barf:
Minimal to moderate selection of firearms, prices are much better than Gander Mountain in Toledo, the facility is a bit 'rundown' and the indoor pistol range is antiquated and in need of maintenance as well as adequate supervision. The owner/gunsmith, Gary Cleland, is an incoherent 'hack' gunsmith and has marred several of my guns as well as those of my friends. He is truly an idiots' idiot. Avoid this place like the plague. Staff range from friendly and knowledgeable to sadly misinformed and beyond help. Counter service is mediocre at best.

ADCO Firearms II in Sylvania, OH :barf::barf:
Very small shop with a "microscopic" selection and very high prices. Staff attitude on 'good days' is one of indifference and on 'bad days' they simply ignore you. If you are not buying an AR-15 or a 1911, they want nothing to do with you since these are the only firearms that they stock an appreciable quantity of. Used to be a great shop when under prior ownership, but not so much now.

Big45
March 30, 2008, 09:14 PM
Holy Double Thread Resurrection

TurboJeff
April 1, 2008, 10:07 AM
Best shops:

Guns and Ammo - Memphis. Friendly staff, reasonable prices. Huge inventory of firearms, ammo, accessories, etc. One bad thing...They are always overflowing with customers. Sometimes it can take a while before you get a salesman. Well worth the waiting.

Classic Arms - Memphis - Friendly and helpful staff. Pretty nice inventory of firearms for small/medium shop. Reasonable prices. Decent holster selection, but could be much better. Low customer traffic means little or no wait for a salesman.

Rangemaster - Memphis - More of a range/training center. They do have a decent amount of handguns for sale. Where else can you go that has Tom Givens, Col. Jim Shearin, and the rest of a great staff. These guys are willing to spend some time answering any gun or tactical related questions. They have some wonderful classes. Highly recommended.

Bad Shops:

Big Daddy's Pawn - Not the friendliest staff I've run across. I couple of the guys are OK, but some are rude. Although they have a pretty good sized inventory, the prices are too high. Some of the guns I examined had not even been cleaned. Filthy barrels, ramps, chambers, etc. Stay away!

RNB65
April 1, 2008, 10:09 AM
Fav:

DeGoff's Guns, Mechanicsville, VA.

Least Fav:

Gander Mountain
-

Ske1etor
April 1, 2008, 10:24 AM
Favorite shops.

10-8 Tactical - Harrahan, LA. Extremely clean shop. Great staff, very nice inventory and the owner (Morey) will order anything you want pronto. Morey is also extremely knowledgeable and will not pull the "If it's in my inventory, its the best out there" stuff with you. If there is a better product that he just doesn't carry or can't keep in stock and there is a lesser product on the shelf he will let you know. Depending on the crowd in the shop it may take a few minutes before the staff can get to you but it is totally worth the wait. Prices are decent and Morey will install/fit just about any purchased part free of charge. (Sights, any fitted parts such as thumb safeties on 1911's, slings, scopes... etc.)

Houma Auto (Guns)- Houma, LA. Decent inventory of firearms. Fairly extensive inventory of reloading and cleaning supplies. very good inventory of ammo. Nice staff. Also may take a few minutes to get some help but worth the wait. Very knowledgeable about their inventory.

Not so good shops.
Gretna Guns- Gretna, LA. Staff is ok I guess. Inventory is decent and they will order just about anything you want. All staff seem uninterested with their customers. They will also ensure that they cut down your personal choice of handgun by telling you that a Glock is the only firearm worth purchasing. Prices are decent.

Jefferson Gun Outlet- Metarie, LA. Staff can be extremely rude at times. Wait times can be horrendous even when the shop is fairly empty. Dirty shop. It may have changed in the recent past but the last time I went I vowed to stay out of that particular shop.

Seancass
April 1, 2008, 01:05 PM
we really need somebody to go through all these posts and put the state in huge letters so we can just find our own state and see where the favorites places are.

Ske1etor
April 1, 2008, 01:16 PM
we really need somebody to go through all these posts and put the state in huge letters so we can just find our own state and see where the favorites places are.

Great Idea... Actually, I will start compiling them all by state in a word document.

littlegator
April 1, 2008, 01:20 PM
From Valkman:

Masters Shooter's Supply, Las Vegas - Floyd the owner is a great guy and always helpful. Sometimes I go in just to ask a question or to BS - it's that kind of place. Prices aren't the best around but I like it anyway.

+1 - they are my favorite as well. Only problem with them is their location in bad neighborhood. Their store looks pretty ghetto on the outside as well. Otherwise, great staff - Floyd is great. I disagree though about the price - their prices on new guns are very competetive.

Best place for ammo:

Walmart in Centennial shopping center. I don't know the guy's name behind the ammo counter (but will find out next time I go), but he is knowledgeable and friendly. He is an older guy who hunts and shoots too. Really nice guy. Too bad they don't have any guns for sale at the store - you have to get the gun on-line and then order it from the store with the order information from the net.

XDandy
April 1, 2008, 02:07 PM
FORT WORTH, TEXAS

Haven't had just a ton of experience since I've only be addicted for a couple years now.

Best I've found: The shooters supply. Definitely not the best selection in town, but nice guys, decent prices, and a decent indoor range.

Worst so far: Elk Castle Shooting Sports. Everytime I've gone in its been hard to even get someone to help me. The selection though is probably one, if not the best in town. Also the range doesn't allow you to shoot reloads, although it is a nice range. I took some there and even though that policy isn't posted as far as I could see the guy working the counter was pretty rude about the fact that I had reloads in my bag, acted like I was trying to sneak them in or something.

I haven't been burned enough yet to say I'll never go back to a place, but I have been around enough to know where I like to go.

Ske1etor
April 1, 2008, 02:33 PM
Well, I have compiled all of the good gunshops but to keep this list "HighRoad", I will not post the worst gunshops in the list.

Ske1etor
April 1, 2008, 03:59 PM
www.TheHighRoad.org
Favorite Gun Shops.

Alabama
Simmons Sporting Goods, Bessemer
Alaska
Arizona
Murphy's, Tucson
Bear Arms, Scottsdale
Pistol Parlour, Mesa
Lone Wolf Trading Company, Glendale
Prescott Valley Guns, Prescott Valley
Bear Mountain Sports, Mesa
Arkansas
John's Guns, Fort Smith
Tackle Box, Fort Smith
Ozark Sportsman, Tontitown
California
The Gunsight, Fullerton
Gold Coast Trading, Fountain Valley
Reed's, San Jose
The California Rifleman, Ventura
Dodge City, Santa Barbara
Martin B Retting, Culver City
Flag Guns, La Habra
Bullseye, San Rafael
Colorado
Jensen Arms, Loveland
Gunsmoke Gunsmithing, Wheat Ridge
Connecticut
Delaware
District of Columbia
Florida
Lee's Pawn & Gun Shop, Margate
Shooter's, Jacksonville
Gun Gallery, Jacksonville
Bullseye Gun & Pawn, Jacksonville
Georgia
Adventure Outdoors, Smyrna
Bull'sEye, Lawrenceville
American Classic Marksman, Norcross
David's Gun Room, Norcross
Hit and Run Guns, Nocross/Lilburn
Guns & Gear, Alpharetta
Valdosta Pawn, Valdosta
Autrey's Armory, Fayetteville
Clyde Armory, Athens
Hawaii
Idaho
Illinois
Collectors Firearms, Simpson's LTD, Galesburg
Indiana
Plainfield Shooting Supplies, Plainfield
Iowa
Kansas
Kentucky
Bud's Gun Shop, Lexington
Louisiana
Jim's firearms, Baton Rouge
10-8 Tactical, Harahan
Houma Auto, Houma
Maine
Maryland
Scott's ,Glen Burnie
Duffy's gun gallery, Baltimore
Walter's Gun Chamber, Baltimore
Continental Arms, Baltimore
Massachusetts
Four Seasons, Worburn
Michigan
Westborn Gun Shop, Taylor
Minnesota
Bill's, Robbinsdale
Frontiersman, St. Louis Park
Outdoorsman, Hopkins
GunStop Reloading Supplies, Minnetonka
Streicher's, Golden Valley
Gander Mountain, Minnetonka
Mississippi
Missouri
Montana
Nebraska
Nevada
Masters Shooter's Supply, Las Vegas
Discount Firearms, Henderson
Machine Gun Kelly's, Las Vegas
Spurlock's Guns, Henderson
New Hampshire
New Jersey
Ramsey Outdoor, Ledgewood
Ramsey Outdoor, Ramsey
Meltzer's Sporting Goods, Garfield
Ray's Sporting Goods, S. Plainfield
Gun Exchange/American Armaments, Butler
Heritage Firearms, Rahway
New Mexico
The Knife Shop, Alamogordo
Covey's, Roswell
Larry's Discount Gun Shop, Roswell
The Outdoorsman of Santa Fe, Santa Fe
New York
American Shooters Supply Inc., Albany
Shooter's Highland, Valatie
Taylor & Vadney Sporting Goods, Schenectady
Creek Road Guns And Ammo, Morrisville
K&K Train and Hobby, Utica
North Carolina
The Bullet Hole, Monroe
Jim's, Fayetteville
North Dakota
Ohio
The Powder Room, Powell
Vance's Shooters Supply, Columbus
New Albany Shooting Range, New Albany
Dick's Gun Room, Cuyahoga Falls
Pro Arms, Cuyahoga Falls
Fin, Fur and Feathers, Wooster
Black Wing Shooting Center, Delaware
Oklahoma
Oregon
Mazama Sporting Goods, Eugene
The Barons Den, Eugene
J&W Arms, Springfield
SM Gunshop, Eugene
Pennsylvania
Archery and Gun Outfitters, Montgomeryville
Tanners, Warwick
Handgunner, Topton
Classic Pistol, Southampton
Quimby`s, Dublin
Defcon 1, Coopersburg
John Brown's Armory, Rochester
Rhode Island
South Carolina
Rook's, Bishopville
Carolina Rod & Gun, Charleston
Trader World, Charleston
Low Country Pawn, Charleston
Shooter's Choice, West Columbia
South Dakota
Jack First, Rapid City
Gary’s Gun Shop, Sioux Falls
Sportsman’s Warehouse, Sioux Falls
Tennessee
Middle Tennessee Guns and Ammo, Symrna
Gun City, Nashville
On Target, Murfreesboro
Usletons, Goodlettsville
Franklin Gun Shop, Franklin
Benton Shooting Supply, Benton
Coal Creek Armory, Knoxville
Guns and Ammo, Memphis
Classic Arms, Memphis
Rangemaster, Memphis
Texas
Champion Firearms, College Station
Foutain Firearms, Houston
Utah
Gallenson's, Salt Lake City, Utah
Impact Guns, Ogden, Utah.
Vermont
Virginia
Bob's Gun Shop, Norfolk
A&P, Virginia Beach
DeGoff's Guns, Mechanicsville
Washington
Kessilrings, Alger
The White Elephant, Spokane
BullsEye Shooter Supply, Tacoma
Federal Way Discount Gun, Federal Way
Sportsman's Wharehouse, Federal Way
Marksman, Puyallup
West Virginia
Wisconsin
Lauer Customs, Chippewa
Wyoming

Harry Paget Flashman
April 1, 2008, 05:12 PM
JustinL commented on St. Nick's in Jacksonville. I went there once while on a business trip. They have a huge selection of handguns and will negotiate on price. I was with a friend and we bought 4 guns between us and a sack of ammo and got a good deal. They even stayed open late to make the sale.

I live in the Pensacola area and use Gateswood Sports for all my gun buys...mostly Internet orders. The guy there has gone the extra mile to find guns that I couldn't. He doesn't stock much but can find anything for you.

Mike's Outdoor Sports on Hwy 29 is a decent gun store. It has a nice selection of new guns but they are on the pricey side. They wouldn't negotiate even a penny on an Springfield M1A. I bought it anyway for $1600...jeez, not even a penny off...I asked. I don't shop there anymore.

Uber's Lock & Gun in Myrtle Grove is a great store. Friendly and helpful staff (a family operation), decent prices, a lot of milsurps and used guns. They have had an occasional gem that I have bought (Krag in 6.5 Swede, Finn M39, K98 Mauser, Norinco SKS and Hungarian M44)

Trade Wind Pawn & Gun in Gulf Breeze has a great selection (mostly used and milsurp) and decent prices. When I asked the owner if he knew where I could get a Ruger Security-Six he went into the back room and brought out three NIB Ruger's.

WalMart on Hwy 29. Made about 4-5 gun purchases from them and the staff was pretty helpful and two out of three were actually pretty knowledgeable.

Academy Sports in Pensacola has good prices.

Al's Pawn & Rifle Shop in Pace on Hwy 90. Decent selection. Got a nice Colt Mustang there for a steal. Caution: everyone there is a chain smoker. You don't want to stay too long. Bring your own oxygen.

scurtis_34471
April 1, 2008, 07:59 PM
Ocala / Marion County Florida

American Gun - Small, one man shop. Limited selection. Fair prices. Good service.

Ocala Armory - Good selection. Knowledgeable staff. Fair prices. Good service. Gunsmithing services available. $35 FFL transfers.

Bullseye Sports - Small selection. High prices. Decent service. $25 FFL transfers. I do all my transfers there.

Jerry's Pawn & Gun - Huge selection. Horrendously over-priced. I've seen commonly available guns for $50-100 over MSRP. If you dicker, you can sometimes get them down to full retail. I won't shop there.

vmi93
April 2, 2008, 10:00 AM
I just moved to Roanoke and am thrilled to have at least four good gunshops in town.

Roanoke Firearms; great selection, good prices, friendly and knowledgeable staff.

Bryansteen's Guns; good selection, good prices, friendly staff.

Trader Jerry's; good selection, great prices, friendly staff.

Sportsman's Warehouse; good selection, tons of reloading stuff, not bad prices, friendly staff, 5% discount for gun club members.

I've lived on and off in Radford and Roanoke and the only bad gunshop I've been to is out of business now.

Fu-man Shoe
April 2, 2008, 02:05 PM
Virginia - Hampton Roads

I think the BEST gunshop in the area is "Tidewater Military Traders", located in Virginia Beach, although they only really deal in military surplus type firearms. They are friendly, have an amazing selection, and they live by thier slogan, which is "It's a museum where you can buy the exhibits."

They also have auctions and swapmeets from time to time which are open to the general public, free of charge.

TMT is seriously a great gunshop.

Some of the other good shops in the area are "The Armory" in Virginia Beach, although they seem less friendly as of late, and "Bob's", in Norfolk...they are pretty expensive, but have a killer reloading section, as well as a good CCW training program.

A&P arms in Virginia Beach is OK, but I have not been a fan of A&P since they sold thier outdoor range to Blackwater USA and closed down the best outdoor range in eastern Virginia.

Avoid "Ron Hess" gun shop at all costs. The owner and sole employee is incredibly rude, the store is a dump, the merchandise is wildly overpriced, and he seems to stay in business solely to drive off customers.

I've met plenty of abrasive people, but Ron Hess takes the prize. After one trip to his store, I think almost anyone would rather gouge out thier eyeballs with a hot poker rather than go back. It's really that bad.

Dstoerm
April 2, 2008, 07:47 PM
The Bullet Hole in Merriam (KC area), KS. Good guys, good guns, good prices and a good range to boot (although they have taken alot of my hard-earned money over the years).

-D

icebones
April 2, 2008, 08:30 PM
my local wal-mart is the worst.

i asked the woman behind the counter for 2 boxes of .45acp
and 1 box of 9mm

i got back
1 box of .38special +p
and 2 boxes of 9mm

plus i absolutley hate the whole, is this .22 ammo for a rifle or handgun?

is its for a rifle ok
but your under 21 so no handgun!!!
are people really that stupid these days?

OzarksMagic
April 2, 2008, 08:35 PM
I will put up a secong for Gunslinger on W. Sunshine. Springfiled, Mo.
Also cherokee Firearms and 417 guns.
Avoid Bass pro shops, and Republic pawn shop.

renaissance
April 2, 2008, 08:49 PM
Gilbert's Small Arms Range - Lorton VA.
(5 minutes outside of the Beltway - Washington DC- on 95)
Come by any Sunday Morning and have a Donut on us.

che_70b
April 3, 2008, 12:00 PM
Favorite

SHEP'S SPORTS WORLD. FLEMINGSBURG KY.

Clipper
April 3, 2008, 03:15 PM
My favorite is Williams Gunsite in Davison, MI...Friendly, knowledgeable staff, big new & used selection, on-site gunsmithing, outdoor rifle & pistol ranges, trap & skeet range...

Least favorite: Guns Galore in Fenton, MI...Decent selection of handguns, nowhere near Williams' selection of long guns, and the surliest staff I've ever dealt with.

Runner-up least favorite: The Gun Barn, in Otisville, MI... Overpriced junk in the used rack, overpriced and limited new stuff and a know-nothing know-it-all staff.

Gun Slinger
April 3, 2008, 10:16 PM
Dang, Ske1etor, I'll be that took some time. Nice job!

jakk280rem
April 4, 2008, 04:06 AM
my fovorite here in salem is mlc exotic class III. its ran by a guy named mick cook. he's on the web at www.buygunshere.com . hes a good guy has a great selection of new and used pistols and rifles is a dillon dealer and will take time to answer my newbee questions. just the otherday i was ogling a pair of auto ordnance 1911's and asked him if they were series 70's or 80's. he picked one up racked the slide, fliped it over and looked up its skirt to see. he said series 80 set the gun back in the case and said too bad. i asked him to show me what it was he was looking at to distinguish and he took the time to show me without ang muttering or head shaking despite the waiting customers. if u come to salem oregon looking for a rifle give oles gun shop a try. they work out of a shop in the back of there house and it looks small on the outside, but inside there are thousands of rifles wall to wall new used and every caliber imaginable. corine is a sweetheart and is more knowlegable about longarms than most of the thr membership. their handgun selection is kinda skimpy but their longarms cant be beat. for atown with a quarter million people these two shops fulfill 90% of my gun and acc. shopping

Floppy_D
April 21, 2008, 12:27 PM
Hampton Roads -
Bob's: +1 on reloading goods. The guys are friendly and competent, their selection is wide, and they have a pistol range upstairs. I like the store.

The Armory: I've bought four guns from them, and I'll probably end up with more, too. Their ammo prices are pretty good. I'll stop in and chat just because Ralph is real friendly, and Kevin is an encyclopedia. Unfortunately, they were very shorthanded up until a month ago, and it was hard to get help. They're in good shape now.

Tidewater Military Traders: THE place to go for milsurp. Good people.

Ron Hess: I went in the other day looking for a Kel-Tec P3AT. He said "What are you planning on shooting, a woman or a dog? Why not carry a slingshot?" If you are looking for a dump where you can find Hi-Point pistols for $279, you came to the right place.

-v-
April 21, 2008, 04:03 PM
Coal Creek Armoury, Knoxville Tennesse - Great customer service, nice indoor range. Selection of handguns can sometimes be a little hit-or-miss, depending on the time of year and inventory. Currently do SAIGA-12->12K conversions.

Tucker Gun, Atlanta, Ga - Good customer service, staff is very friendly, but prices are iffy. The guy who does the internet sales is rightfully kept locked up in a small room. Usually most of their stuff is about $50-100 over what it can be had on the 'net for. Great selection of CZ's, but again $100 or so above what the internet going price is at. However, have great selection of handguns and interesting long-gun selection, including a 1912 Mosin rifle, complete with Imperial Russian proofing marks that I unfortunately passed on.

Another small place on Kingston Pike in Knoxville, whose name eludes me. Friendly staff, very pro-1911. Good selection of long-arms, small but passable selection of handguns with the most popular major brands in stock. Very good stock of accessories.

Not so liked:

Chuck's Guns - Buckhead area of Atlanta is the 8 circle of traffic hell. The owner came across as already knows what you are going to get, even if you don't. Also if you don't come packing wads of cash, don't soil his carpet and just stay out.

McCall911
April 21, 2008, 04:15 PM
Alabama
Simmons Sporting Goods, Bessemer

+1.
I live in east Alabama, but it's too far for me to go to Simmons Sporting Goods regularly. :(

However, I do like http://www.marksoutdoorsports.com/ (Mark's Outdoors) despite the occasional wait. It's crowded for a reason.

Deer Hunter
April 21, 2008, 05:03 PM
A very small, but amazing shop.

The Store
in Cushing, TX.

ArmedSkeptic
May 12, 2008, 10:46 AM
Not so good - I have had both bad and good experiences at Greentop. I would stay away totally but they have such a large selection. But one more bad experience and I am probably gonna avoid it more than I already do.

Good - De Goffs. they took their time explaining a few things. I didn't buy the gun I came in for originally but i did get a couple of other long guns and supplies.

WayneConrad
May 12, 2008, 11:50 AM
ske1etor, How did you get first-hand knowledge of that many gun shops in that many states? :eek:

Least favorite: Lone Wolf, Glendale, AZ (I think they've moved a few blocks East and may be in Phoenix now). Won't darken their doorstep.

Favorite, believe it or not: Sportsman's Warehouse, I-17 and loop-101, Phoenix, AZ. The guys behind the counter are top notch. Especially Bob Buffa. Beyond compare.

Furncliff
May 12, 2008, 01:54 PM
Jean's Westerner, Montrose, Co. ... While the gun counter only accounts for a small part of this store, they do have a bit of everything. They have done special orders for me, no problem. They have a reloading section, but no used guns. The staff is their ace. Nice people and knowledgeable.

Tom

Girodin
May 12, 2008, 05:20 PM
FBMG in Draper, Utah has been hands down the best shopping experience for guns I have had. The staff was friendly, knowledgable, very willing to help and answer questions, and didn't treat me like I was an idiot. They also didn't tryto sell me something I didn't want or wasn't right for me. In fact more than trying to selling me anything they tried to help me identify my needs and the pro cons and compromises of various choices. The owner also is a very frinedly and genuinely nice guy IMO.

Those things have not been very common in my experiences at other gun shops.

There is a great little pawn shop in CO but it is where I find all my impossible to find guns and great deals so I dont what to let that secret out.

Places I have not liked:

Cabelas: Although the staff was frinedly and tried to help they didn't strike me as people who really knew anymore than I did. They are always super busy and one litteraly has to take a number. Prices are too high as well. Transfer fees are out of sight.

Gallensons in Salt Lake City where my parents live. I went there for my B-day with my father who was going to buy me a rifle. I was looking for a Saiga. They guy proceeded to berate AK-47s with every stereo type about them. He seemed to have no clue what a Saiga was and why it was different than the POS AKs on his rack (they are a dealer of Century built AKs). He then tried to sell me a Mini 14.

Even when I expressed that I really wanted a Saiga and had no interest in mini's. He went on about the vices of an AK (everything he said holds more true about mini 14s than saigas IMHO) and treated my like I was retarded for wanting some gun he had never hear of and not the one that was in his hand and more than twice as expensive.

It is a product of being down town but the parking sucks as well.

I've been in Doug's that was previously mentioned in this thread. They act like they couldn't care less if you were there or not. Service would get a zero on a scale of 1-5.

Flintlock Tom
May 12, 2008, 07:35 PM
Have to chime in from San Diego:

Discount Gun Mart: Lots of beautiful rifles, high end pistols and a really well run range. Good, knowledgeable staff.

Southern California Gun: Friendly, helpful staff, good prices, amazing selection.

Royal Loan and Pawn: small selection of rifles and shotguns, but more pistols. Really friendly and professional in doing an out-of-state transfer for me.

El Cajon Gun Exchange: High quality inventory and friendly, knowledgeable staff. Black powder and reloading stuff out the wazoo. Pardon my French.

The Swede
May 12, 2008, 09:02 PM
GAT Guns, Dundee, Illinois. Huge selection, good staff. Can't think of too much they don't have.

Wopasaurus
May 12, 2008, 11:39 PM
I love going to Shooter's Supply in Loveland Ohio, as well as One Shot in Newtown Ohio.

Both are right outside of Cincinnati, and have the most knowledgeable and friendly staff I've dealt with at a gun shop.

neapoi
May 13, 2008, 03:05 AM
I thought that I'd contribute to this thread, as I just had a very positive experience at Wades guns in Bellevue WA.

Long story short, I ordered a shotgun from them middle of March. It was an 870 super turkey magnum. Ran me around 400 bucks with tax. I call every week to see if the gun has arrived. No word.

It turns out that the guy who was supposed to call me and tell me that Remington discontinued making that gun forgot to call... so from middle March to beginning May, I was without shotgun. Meanwhile, I continue to call each week wondering where my gun is.

I get a call last week from the owner. He says that 1) He's super upset that this happened to me, 2) the guy who screwed up was on sabbatical, and 3) I was more than welcome to take a complete refund on my payment-in-full - or come in and they would 'take care of me'.

The way I figure it, I could be a huge jerk (not something that I do) and try to get something extra, or I could go on the word of the owner that I would be taken care of. I walk into the store, and everybody there made sure I was taken care of. Mind you I'm a 28 year old kid with long hair and a bandanna. I end up walking out the door with a Remington Wingmaster w/ 28 inch barrel for 350. They also throw in 100 rounds ammo for clay and a boresnake kit for my new shotty!

They went above and beyond to fix a problem, and because they owned up to their mistake, and tried to make it right - Wades will always get my money here in Western Washington.

Tribal
May 13, 2008, 12:02 PM
In Virginia:

Dominion is overpriced and most of the stuff is cheap.

Bob Moates', near Richmond, is pretty decent. Prices are very hit or miss, though, with Russian Mosin-Nagants going for over $200 but other stuff at normal prices.

GL's near Williamsburg is...well, basically it's a gunsmith who has a few things for sale, including NFA stuff. While I was there one of the "regulars" was talking some pretty vile racist stuff, and that turned me off a lot.

possum
May 13, 2008, 05:29 PM
least favorites:
in n.c. Hyatts gun shop which i call high dollar hyatts.

Pms guns, which stands for pay more for your stuff.

in kansas pats pawn and gun

favorite
in georgia/ hinesville area mission essential.

in n.c the fallout shelter

zoom6zoom
May 13, 2008, 06:33 PM
Fav:
DeGoff's Guns, Mechanicsville, VA.
Nice enough shop. But don't bother asking them to do a transfer.

NDGeek
May 13, 2008, 07:46 PM
Bismarck, ND:
Best: There isn't one, the good one closed (Marvs)
Bad: Scheels, over priced but somewhat helpful.
Worst: Gun City, Extremely over priced and grumpy

Fargo, ND:
Best: Sportsman's Warehouse: good prices and big selection
Middle of the Road: The outdoorsman, sometimes helpful, decent prices. Plus they will do FFL xfers
Worst: Scheels, over priced and and never helpful.

doublesharp
May 13, 2008, 09:06 PM
The way a gunshop should operate. Clarksville Indiana right off I-65. $15 transfers, friendly, knowledgeable staff and they sell at fair prices.

RickH
May 13, 2008, 09:19 PM
Best in my area: DJ's loan and sport.

Worst in my area: Wades in Bellevue.

Honorable Mention: Kesselring's up north, if you are in B'ham it is worth the drive.

Honorable mention #2: Federal way discount gun, I've never been there but heard a lot of very good word of mouth from many many different people.

GingerGuy
May 14, 2008, 07:45 AM
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm157/GingerGuy_photos/Belleville%20Shooting%20Range/BelllevilleShootingRange006.jpg
This one works well for me. Good selection and knowledgeable staff.

give
May 21, 2008, 08:54 PM
favorate place was called bob's guns,i know orignal,anyway hell of a nice guy,always helpful,loved to talk and prices were actueally low,least is a place called johnsons,what a theif,you could go to most gun stores and see a perticular gun,then go there and it would be 100 bucks more,,both places are in croydon pa

Ltlabner
May 21, 2008, 09:00 PM
I love going to Shooter's Supply in Loveland Ohio, as well as One Shot in Newtown Ohio.

Both are right outside of Cincinnati, and have the most knowledgeable and friendly staff I've dealt with at a gun shop.

Couldn't agree more. Two of my favorite stores also. I've spent many "lunch hours" at One-Shot.

Target World on the north side of Cincinnati, on the other hand, is horrable. Wouldn't step foot in there except for free ammo and guns day. Even then I'd have to think about it.

mnrivrat
May 22, 2008, 12:00 AM
Favorite : Hunters Den in New Ulm , MN

Nice folks , privately owned by the man who is always there. State of the art indoor shooting range . Fair prices ,and stands behind what he sells.

Least favorite : Chain stores

.cheese.
May 22, 2008, 12:16 AM
Favorite: IPS/911 Store - Hollywood, Florida

Least Favorite: tie between Only The Best Firearms in Pompano Beach, Florida and Lou's Police Supply in Hialeah, Florida.

SG1
May 22, 2008, 12:23 AM
My favorite gun store in Louisville, KY is Knob Creek Gun Range. They have a nice selection and decent prices.

Don't really have a least favorite.

Sapanther
May 22, 2008, 04:07 AM
HUGE+1 to Don's in NLR Ark

Of course the usual, holier than thou attitude, wasting their time, don't really want to speak to me, but check this out. I wanted to see a SU-16 in person because I have heard from a couple of folks the bipod/foregrip was kinda flimsy. I ask the guy if they carried them and he said they didn't carry anything by Kel-tec. I shrugged and he asked me why I would want such a gun anyway. I basicly tell him I wanted something different. His eyes brighten and he replies "you want to see different?" and showes me a ....

PLR-16 :what:

Indecisive: Gander Mt. in NLR. I got some wierd vibes off of the guy who finaly decided to take time for me. Wasn't actively hostile, but didn't seem to want me to be there.

HUGE Positive vibes from the guys at Fort Thompson in NLR. Seriously, if you are ever in the area, stop by there. When I told a friend that I wanted to look in to the SU-16, he told me to stop by there. I said sure, but Don's was closer so I stopped there first. When the saleman told me he didn't have the gun I was looking for, he told me to try Gander. I mentioned that my friend said to try Fort Thompson also. His eyes grew hard and didn't reply. After his brillant display of intellectual prowess I figured FT might have something going for them. They didn't have what I was looking for, but they had no pronblems taking as much time to answer any questions I had. They were more than happy to let me fondl, drool over, and basicly molest any gun they had in stock. While my money won't stretch far, they will get any I happen to spend in a gun shop.

delta53
May 22, 2008, 07:41 AM
Least favorite Sarco counter help nasty mean and knows everything but the just had there FFL not renewed, BY BY mean and nasty

Favorite none,:banghead: not much to choose from in NJ and thats why they get away with it

YZR
May 22, 2008, 07:58 AM
SE Michigan:
I've only bought guns at 2 stores:
Top Gun Shooting Sports in Taylor (indoor range/ gun shop) and Firearms Exchange in Wayne.
I highly recommend both places. Friendly, knowledgable staff and pleasant to deal with.

statelineblues
June 8, 2008, 03:33 AM
In Connecticut -

Good places (IMO): JOJO's Gun Works in Southington; not a big selection, mostly used, but VERY helpful, and Excellent gunsmithing.

Hoffman's in Newington; large selection of new guns, decent amount of used guns, retail prices on new, decent prices on used, good counter help (moving to a new store w/ indoor range).

Newington Gun Exchange in Newington; large selection of used guns, some new guns, prices aren't bad; counter help can be hit or miss.

In New Jersey (since I lived there 20 yrs:barf:)

Harry's Army Navy in on Rt. 130 Bordentown: Big selection of new and used guns, decent prices, counter help ok unless it's busy.

Sportsman's Center in Bordentown (just down the road from Harry's); good selection of new and used, good counter help, decent gunsmithing (although turn around time is long).

I can't remember the name, but it's in Vineland, NJ and has a good selection of used guns, some new, very good counter help and decent prices.

Also, agree about Ray's in South Plainfield.

percy_walker
June 11, 2008, 07:51 PM
Midwest Ordnance, Royal Oak MI
admittedly not always the cheapest... but the best to deal in Detroit metro area.

frankcostanza
June 11, 2008, 09:34 PM
Best: East Side Gun Shop - Nashville, TN. Its a small shop, but has some good deals. The owner is great & knows his stuff.

Runner up: Franklin Gun Shop - Franklin, TN. Good selection, tons of handguns, pretty good assortment of military style weapons, and occasionally some decent used & mil-surp guns. Tends to be a tad overpriced on most things though, and it can take awhile to talk to a salesperson since theyre always really busy.

Worst: Gun City USA - Nashville,TN. I used to go to their indoor pistol range and everytime I did, I feared for my life. It's dirty, the range is unkempt and has lots of bullet holes where there shouldnt be any and its packed with shady characters. They could make a killing if they sold these

http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/154/nytesytestp5.jpg

bullseye308
June 11, 2008, 09:52 PM
LaVergne, Tn. Specialty Arms is great. Feel like Norm from cheers there. I haven't bought a gun there in 2 years and they always have time to show me what I want to look at or shoot the bull if no one is waiting. Prices are fair and they will work with you on some of them, will get whatever they don't have ordered while you wait.
Murfreesboro, Tn. On Target is great too. Small selection but will try to get whatever you want, class III dealer and rents some at the indoor range. ALso has training rooms for CC and offers many other calsses as well. Sent my wife in alone and she was treated like I was, not the newb she is.
Franklin, Tn. Franklin Gun Shop, nice selection but the prices are higher than I like.
Mt. Juliet, Tn. Reloader's Bench. OMG I wanna move in!!! Ammo galore and components out the yin yang abound in this place. A reloader's paradice to be sure and the prices aint too bad either. Tiny store cramm packed with guns and accessories on one side and ammo and reloading stuff on the other. If you are larger of ststure(fat like me) you may have to slide sideways down the aisles in order to go home with an empty wallet. I never leave that place with any money. :)
Nashville, Tn. Gun City. Not going back. Nice open store with lots of room to look around, but the prices are way too high for me. The older guys working there seemed to be allright, but I shop by price and, they like their stuff too much.

frankcostanza
June 11, 2008, 10:33 PM
Bullseye308: Ive never heard of Specialty Arms, I'll have to check it out sometime. Where are they at in LaVergne?

shc1
June 11, 2008, 10:46 PM
In SW Virginia Whitetail Outfitters pretty much all you need.
It can get busy but that in it’s self is testament to good business.
Rifle, pistol, ammo, reloading, as well as archery. These guys will do you right.

Another is Millers Gun Shop, been open about one year.

And as said before Trader Jerry's; good selection, great prices, friendly staff.

Roanoke Firearms and Bryansteen's Guns. Never been to those but all the shooters I’ve talked to say they are top notch.

mgh
June 12, 2008, 07:13 AM
Good: Simmons in Bessemer, Al. Friendly knowledgeable staff, fair prices. Plus they carry reloading supplies.

Not so good: Gun Cellar in Hoover, AL. Indifferent staff, high prices.

I've got mixed feelings about Mark's Outdoor Sports. They have some items I can't find anywhere else locally. The sales staff has always been cordial. But the prices are a little high, and the store is so crowded most of the time (very narrow aisles) that it's unpleasant just being there.

nelson133
June 12, 2008, 07:16 AM
In SE Michigan
Williams in Davidson, I've heard good things about them. I've never bought any guns there as I like to be able to browse the used stuff and they have most of their pistols on racks behind the counter. I'm sure that they would hand you what ever you wanted, but given all the stuff I like to look at, it is too much hassle.
Guns Galore, lots of handguns, very good used prices, good prices on new stuff too, don't take the staff's attitude personally, they treat everybody like that. I shop for the prices and ignore the attitude.
Michigun in St Clair Shores, Not the biggest selection, very good prices, they only carry the top end lines generally. Staff generally helpful and friendly, except for one guy who tends to be very pushy. If you call in to ask about the availability of a guns, he starts in with the "it's the deal of the century and you have to come and get it right now" stuff. Again. I just ignore him.
Firearms exchange in Westland, decent people to deal with and I've bought a gun or 2 there. The biggest problem with them is on a gun show weekend, the store has no merchandise as it is all on the tables at the show.
Westborn in Taylor, been in there and the service seemed good, but didn't buy anything.
Firing Line in Westland, good staff and good prices, I like this place.
Whites Gun Shop on Cooley Lake Road in Waterford. This is one of those places that is really just a clubhouse for some old pals to get together. Overpriced and hostile to strangers.
Midwest Ordinance in Royal Oak. You are better off shopping their stuff at local gun shows. They have 2 price levels and the shop price is higher. The people I have dealt with tend to lie at a somewhat higher level than the average for gun sellers. I have bought stuff from them at shows when the price was right. They carry a lot of the really cheap guns.

statelineblues
June 12, 2008, 07:59 PM
I can't remember the name, but it's in Vineland, NJ and has a good selection of used guns, some new, very good counter help and decent prices.

I believe the shop is called Butch's Gun Store.

teknoid
June 12, 2008, 08:25 PM
I've got two very good local stores in Corbin KY:
Kentucky Outdoorsman and Dave and Rex's

Both have prices comparable to Bud's in Paris. If they don't have what I want, they'll order it for me. I don't have a worst. After finding these two, why shop elsewhere?

Emfuser
August 22, 2008, 12:58 PM
New least favorite in the Columbia, SC area: Shooter's choice

I only had to hear one salesman, while he was showing an AR to a customer, say something along the lines of "Obama is going to start race wars. I don't give $h#@ what happens, I'm gonna kill me some f#*%@&% n-words."

They won't see a dime of my money.

Dravur
August 22, 2008, 03:38 PM
In Denver... Green Mountain guns....They are great.

In Longmont... Grampa's Pawn. Holy Cow. Worst

In Denver... Gunsmoke. Horrible prices, Horrible gunsmithing. I mean, really, they couldn't get 2 scope rings to line up. Stay away from this bunch of fiends.

Jensnes up in Loveland is fun. Lots of NFA and tacticool stuff. My favorite place to play.

dbernie5
August 22, 2008, 04:04 PM
Johnson's Sporting goods. They have an excellent selection of firearms and all of the accessories you would need. Prices are great. If they don't have it on the shelf they are more than happy to order it for you. Service is friendly and knowledgeable. They treat you well even if you are just browsing. No question is too dumb to ask. Gunsmithing is good. They don't try to steer you to the most expensive gun, unless that's what you want. I have bought all of my guns from them and had repairs/modifications done by them. I've got no complaints.
And, no, I don't work there.

45crittergitter
August 25, 2008, 08:23 PM
Worst:

DiscountGunner.com, Lexington KY

Refused to honor legitimate online auction win, after he confirmed the terms numerous times prior to his refusal to honor them.

Orange_Magnum
August 25, 2008, 09:12 PM
I like it when you walk into a gun store and the person behind the counter says, "Can I show you something?" or, "Here, handle this gun, tell me what you think."

BlackJack
August 25, 2008, 09:16 PM
Favorite: Taylor's Trading Post, Biglerville, PA. Scott is a real expert and has EVERYTHING.

Least favorite: Southside Guns, Richmond, VA. Poor selection, poor customer service and not particularly interested in customers.

1911 guy
August 26, 2008, 08:08 AM
Absolutely the best in the area is Stockers Shop in Champion, Ohio. Great selection, knowlegeable staff and decent prices. Of my last half dozen gun purchases, all have been from them. Ammo now, too, since my last place (wally world) went up in price.

Worst place in the area is Georges Gun Shack in Warren, Ohio. Never open, stocks only long arms and is vocal about the evils of handguns. Oh, and his prices are a good fifty percent higher than anyone else around. Haven't been back inside the joint in years.

These places are only fifteen minutes apart, but are a study in stark contrast.

ferretray
August 26, 2008, 10:24 AM
My new favorite in the Dallas/Fort Worth area is B&S guns in Garland. Don't know about their firearm prices/transfer fees yet but the customer service I've received has been great. They went out of their way to get the ammo and accessories I needed.
I've been using Sporting Arms in Lewisville for transfers ($20) and Becky is very professional. I've got one of the new no-lock 642's on layaway with her. Rays wants $50 for a transfer fee :eek:, they won't get a nickel of my money. Other shops around here seem to have either tacticool ninja's or racists working for them.
I've bought guns at Bachman Gun & Pawn but the prices are on the high side.

plumberroy
August 26, 2008, 10:56 AM
Don's Guns is without a doubt the worst I've seen
You evidently Haven't been to ludco's in parker city Ammo prices higher than suggested retail and Fred who own's the place Is a top notch JACKASS
Roy

Rugerlvr
August 26, 2008, 12:50 PM
Since the Original Post, Get Some Guns has moved into a new building w/range, and they are also heavily focused on EBRs & Class 3. They now have a LARGE selection, including lots of Barrett .50BMG rifles.

Gallenson's in downtown SLC is still really good.

FBMG in Draper, UT is very good if you're wanting EBRs, tactical clothing & gear, gunsmithing and education. We all know Correia, and this is his shop.

Cabela's has an extensive selection, but the prices are only good during sales, or if you have Cabela's points on your CC to use.

chrissmallwood
August 26, 2008, 02:02 PM
Best: Acme Sports in Seymour Indiana:):):):). The employees are pretty nice and they help you with anything you need. I shop there quite a bit and I know them on a first name basis. There's only 3 people that actually work there so you get to know them all pretty good.

Worst: Bass pro shops in Seymour also:(. The employees tend to be a bit rude and sometimes stupid. I went in there to buy an RIA GI 45 and an older lady took it out of the cabinet and was pointing it straight at me, didnt bother to release the mag or check the chamber and she kept waving it around while pointing it at me. The only reason I go in there anymore is to get some ammo that I know only they would have or to get something I couldnt get elswhere.

BruceRDucer
August 26, 2008, 05:49 PM
GREEN MOUNTAIN GUNS / Metro Denver

I once posted something critical of Green Mountain Guns, but you know I went back with some family a month ago.

We had a great time and got pretty good service.

My wife noticed that the staff seemed to ask the men if they need help and tended to ignore her.

Maybe they just wanted to give the "lady" some space though.

Anyway, we did business with them. They were nice this time and all went well.

All's well that ends well I hope. Green Mountain Guns was okay by me.

:neener::neener::neener::neener::neener:

Oh, you know what else? My son (who is new to guns) got into a conversation with a real collector, and picked up all kinds of information such as technical stuff about Mosin Nagants and other rifles and shotguns etc. He had a great learning experience there! When a customer is an expert, it don't get no better'n that.

/
_________________________________________________________________________________

Then there's JENSEN's GUNS in Loveland, Colorado up North of Denver about 30 minutes. They're good up there too.

I can't say that I know of any shop that is just terrible. I haven't been treated lower-n-gully-dirt anywhere, so I'm happy that we've got good shops and good service.

I always enjoy the Sportsman's Warehouse staff on South Wadsworth Blvd in Southwest Denver. "Jingles" and "Joe" and those guys are friendly all the time to us, and they have plenty of experience. Sometimes I've just stood there and chatted with them for half an hour.

I don't hate anybody. What the heck is wrong with me? Don't I shop enough?

I can't say that I measure up to any shops standards though. As a customer, I'm a real jerk.... :what:

/

HalfFast73
August 26, 2008, 08:47 PM
All-time fave: Meraux Sporting Goods, Meraux, La. Friendly staff, get anything you want, great deals. Destroyed by hurricane katrina. R.I.P. :(

Current (North Carolina) faves: Ed's in Vass, Young in Apex.

Worst: can't say I've had any really bad experiences in a gun shop (yet). Some places are too pricey... I don't go back to those. :neener:

E

Chris B
August 26, 2008, 09:01 PM
Best:

In Prescott, Az, J&G Sales. Great stock, Great prices (especially for used and Mul-surp guns, Ton's of AK's and SKS's, Outstanding Service and 30 day guarantees on all sales.

In Prescott Valley, Az, Prescott Valley Guns. Excellent prices on both new and used guns, Huge selection of used shotguns and rifles. Extremely friendly sales staff.

I don't work for either of them.

Worst:

Most pawn shops in Prescott have unknowledgeable and unfriendly staff and worse deals than you would find at a gun shop.

Anywhere that a salesperson tells me what I "Should" buy as apposed to what I asked for (unless it's because it's a better deal). What works for you may not work for me, or may not be what I want. Either way, you just lost a sale; jerk.

TexasRifleman
August 26, 2008, 09:03 PM
Wost I've personally been in is Bachman Guns in Dallas.

Best is Sporting Arms in Lewisville, TX

give
August 26, 2008, 09:58 PM
favorate place for me was bob's guns in croydon pa,bob was the best very friendly,ww2 vet so always had storys,and had lots of sweet deals,good selection and usueally had something special in the back,prices wer good but you could deal with bob least ,johnstons in croydon,big selection,but way over priced

marv
August 27, 2008, 10:19 PM
Best/ favorite:
E&E Guns Tell City, IN

Ace's Guns Hawesville, KY

Whittaker's West Louisville, KY Bigger than most gun shows.

Worst/least favorite:
Never met a gun shop I didn't like.

rugbyer81
August 28, 2008, 12:28 AM
In the Indianapolis area the best i've been to is Bradis down on the south side. Last time I was in there, which was probably six months ago, they had a good selection of military surplus and used guns for decent prices.

Worst? Can't say i've heard great things about Don's Guns although i've never been there.

Atomsk
August 28, 2008, 03:43 AM
Favorite:

Dad's Super Pawn Express-Gulfport,MS. They have a huge selection of new and used guns with all the accesories for any gun you could think of and a very helpful and friendly staff.

Least Favorite:

Extreme Outfitters- Laurel,MS. Nice gun selection but they're at least $150 higher than anywhere else and most of the staff are ****** bags that think they know everything there is to know about guns and they let you know how much they think they know in the worst way

GlowinPontiac
August 29, 2008, 04:07 PM
My favorite : Newington Gun Exchange. Gary and Lars will spend as much time as nessacary to explain something to you and they use normal terms and dont try to sound like a ex SEAL when they describe a guns features. On one occasion they spent almost 2 hours with my wife showing her a ton of different pistols so she could find the one that she felt the most comfortable with.

Also the prices are pretty decent and they are a class 3 dealer that dont try to make supressors and full autos sound like black magic.

The only thing you have to watch out for is the local gang bangers who come in and grab up the display rifles and start pointing them at everyone, but the employees are quick to let them know that that kind of behavior does not fly there. If they do it again they will be out the door faster than you can blink.

Its just a nice laid-back kind of place where you can spend hours just BSing with the employees and checking out some nice guns. They dont pressure you into buying and wont ignore you if you say you are just there to compare and are not buying today like some other local shops will.

Hoffmans is another decent place but they tend to ignore you if your not there to spend a lot of money. They are moving to a new store down the street from their old location that will have an indoor range and much more room so hopefully they hire some new employees who want to do more than just take your money and rush you out the door.

Savage99
March 9, 2009, 11:15 AM
I wish to comment on this post by statelineblues.

In Connecticut -

Good places (IMO): JOJO's Gun Works in Southington; not a big selection, mostly used, but VERY helpful, and Excellent gunsmithing.

Hoffman's in Newington; large selection of new guns, decent amount of used guns, retail prices on new, decent prices on used, good counter help (moving to a new store w/ indoor range).

Newington Gun Exchange in Newington; large selection of used guns, some new guns, prices aren't bad; counter help can be hit or miss.

I have been going to gunshops for just over 50 years and recall each of Hoffman's stores in New Britain and now Newington. Hoffmans has changed some and is arrogant now. They have this very large aggresive dog that intimidates me and so do some of the clerks.

The Newington Gun Exchange is good and so is Cabelas now in E. Hartford.

The best gunshop for me is the Autumn Gunworks in Goshen and the Armoury in New Preston. I like fine rifles.

Jojo gunworks was in New Britain before and I see them as just an new gun worker for ar's. For real gunsmithing I use others.

Restorer
March 9, 2009, 12:26 PM
In North Alabama

Larry's Pistol and Pawn in Huntsville, hands down best.
They had my special order CZ's in two days, they've got at least 50 Smith & Wesson M&P carbines in stock and tons of ammo. I keep reading about people not being able to find ammo....last trip to Larry's they had cases of 9mm, 5.56, .45, .40, 7.62X51 and cans of 7.62X39 stacked in the aisles. Good prices, too. 700 round cans of 7.62X39 for $179. For the guns I've bought from them, they have matched or beat the best prices on Gunbroker.
Huge selection, knowledgeable staff, indoor range.
Ya listening, Larry? Is this good enough for a freebie range pass?

Permafrost
March 9, 2009, 02:44 PM
A couple of years ago I was at the rifle line (20 benches) with two benchrest shooting buddies and a personal friend. A Mexican came up to the bench next to me and brought out his SIG SSG 3000 and began shooting as fast as he could. I'd seen him at the range several times before, but he was never set up this close to me, and I didn't pay attention to his shooting habits, I'm sorry to say. He'd fired about 20 shots in a 12" group over bin Laden's face (that was the target he was using). After we couldn't take it anymore, we stopped him, and told him gently that he'd ruin his barrel that way. We tried to explain that the bore would be toast after that kind of prolonged treatment, but his English was almost non-existant. We sign-languaged him that he should be getting 1-2" groups at the most, and he misunderstood and patted one of the guys on the shoulder and indicated that Eddie was obviously a better shooter to get such smaller groups. Then we noticed his ammo. He was shooting Wolf. We told him not to use that in his rifle because it was junk. He didn't understand us and thought we wanted to know where he got his rig, so he went into his MTM-like rifle case and came out with a receipt from you guessed it, Traders. They sold this poor neophyte an SIG SSG 3000 w/an NC Star 3-12x scope (who the hell is NC Star?? I'm afraid to look them up even these years later) and a plastic carrying case for $3400, tacked on a case of 1000 rounds of Wolf for $190 and drop kicked him out the door.

He probably could have prevented his problem by learning English.

LoneCoon
March 9, 2009, 02:51 PM
Here in Dayton, OH:

Favorites:

Old English Outfitters. Probably the nicest people I've met in a long time. They try to be as knowledgeable as possible, and it shows.

Vandalia Armory: I told the clerk I wasn't buying today, and he still took 20 minutes to help me find a carry piece. I will be buying a gun from there shortly.

Worst: Can't really say I've had terrible experiences at any of the gun stores here, although Arms Depot had "meh" prices and a limited selection.

rswartsell
March 9, 2009, 03:02 PM
In Chicagoland,

The Good

The Gun Doctor
Lake Street
Roselle, IL
small, knowledgeable, fair pricing, friendly

The Bad

Maxon Shooter Supplies and Indoor Range Corp.
Rand Road
Des Plains, IL

none of the above but small

The Indifferent (bordering good)

G.A.T. Guns
RT 25
Dundee, IL

large, and uneven in other categories

Sam1911
March 9, 2009, 03:30 PM
Shyda's in Lebanon, PA. Can't beat their reloading supplies prices.

...except for...

King Shooter's Supply in King of Prussia, PA.

-Sam

If you enjoyed reading about "Favorite and least favortie gun shops" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!