Federal Housing & Firearms

PDA

krupparms
October 11, 2013, 04:39 PM
I recently received a turn down from low income housing because an old landlord said I had a gun in my apt.that I rented from him. Is this leagle? Or is it their right to deny housing because I lived in a dangerous Apt.? Can someone point me in the right direction?

If you enjoyed reading about "Federal Housing & Firearms" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
vamo
October 11, 2013, 06:55 PM
Property owners have a lot of discretion in setting the rules for occupancy. It sucks, but for the most part legal. Now if you aren't a felon (judging from your signature I would say you are not) and your gun ownership is completely legal you might be able to make a big enough stink about it. Who owns this place that you are trying to rent? If its a corporation this is the type of controversy they absolutely hate to get involved in.

vamo
October 11, 2013, 07:05 PM
http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/gun-shots/2013/08/colorado-apartment-complex-ban-firearms-property

Here is a bit about a recent incident where an apartment complex attempted to institute a no guns policy. It should be noted that the policy was reversed fairly quickly by people much higher up in the parent company of that individual complex's management staff. This was due to the controversy finding its way on the 24hr news stations and the internet not government intervention.

Frank Ettin
October 11, 2013, 11:30 PM
I recently received a turn down from low income housing because an old landlord said I had a gun in my apt....You might want to contact a lawyer who know gun law, or contact your local RKBA organization for a referral.

In general, a private landlord could lawfully ban guns. But it might well be different for public or government subsidized housing.

Shortly after Heller came down the NRA sue in San Francisco over a public housing development that banned guns. It was settled by the ban being dropped. I think there might have been some similar cases elsewhere as well.

Old Fuff
October 12, 2013, 01:36 AM
There was a recent Federal Court decision in the Chicago area where a housing development tried to introduce a tenant gun ban. The court ruled that in light of the recent Supreme Court decisions in Heller and later MacDonald such a ban would be unconstitutional if any Federal (U.S. Government) funds were used in its planing, development, construction or operation.

I suspect you have a good case. Follow Fredís advise and talk to an attorney.

If you enjoyed reading about "Federal Housing & Firearms" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!