ivankerley
October 12, 2013, 11:05 AM
turned out pretty good, its functional, made it for my 1860 army
made some mistakes, worked through 'em
Thanks to Craig C and RC model for advice
Gene

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n161/IVAN_666_evil/IMG_0626_zps48d39baa.jpg
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n161/IVAN_666_evil/IMG_0630_zpse75138bc.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "1st holster attempt Mexican loop" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
October 12, 2013, 12:24 PM
Dang nice job for a first holster attempt.

In fact, dang nice job for any holster attempt!!

You done good!

rc

bainter1212
October 12, 2013, 12:55 PM
That thing is flat out gorgeous. Nice job.

ivankerley
October 12, 2013, 01:25 PM
thanks guys! made every "chompin at the bit" rookie mistake but thats how i learn, did the same when i made my first knife sheath a few years back:D
next year ill hopefully be getting a vaquero and ill do the holster for that.
Told my wife since i shoot so little lately, seems like im buying the gun just so i can make the accessories ;)
appreciate the kind words
Gene

all357mag
October 12, 2013, 01:39 PM
Looks AWESOME!

Sam Cade
October 12, 2013, 04:46 PM
Wait...that was your first try? :eek:

I think you may have found your calling.

CraigC
October 12, 2013, 11:24 PM
Dang, I would say you definitely have some natural talent! Can't wait to see the next one. :)

grubbylabs
October 13, 2013, 12:13 AM
So if that's your rookie holster, I can't wait to see the one when you have perfected the technique.

9mmfan
October 13, 2013, 02:15 AM
That is nice. I particularly like where the stitching curls around by the trigger guard. Nice detail.

Frankl03
October 13, 2013, 09:48 AM
Very nice work!

royal barnes
October 13, 2013, 10:27 AM
Nice work and a very attractive tooling pattern.

ivankerley
October 13, 2013, 11:21 AM
having made knife sheaths for a couple years helped me with this since some of the same principles apply to doing the holster, i spent quite a bit reading, looking at holsters and reading some more, and building it in my head... Still made some "Doh" mistakes, fortunately i could work through them, should make my future projects go a little smoother.:)
Thanks
Gene

doubleh
October 13, 2013, 12:13 PM
Excellent. I always look at how well the edges are finished and those are slick.

bannockburn
October 13, 2013, 12:21 PM
That's one fine looking holster, all the more so for your first effort. Keep up the great work and look forward to seeing more holsters from you in the near future.

2A Citizen
October 13, 2013, 03:24 PM
Very Slick looking Holster Job! 2 thumbs up!

Shanghai McCoy
October 13, 2013, 07:42 PM
That's a fine looking "first attempt"...
Looking forward to seeing the next one.

Iggy
October 15, 2013, 07:49 PM
That's finer than frog's hair. I see some real potential there.

ivankerley
October 15, 2013, 09:14 PM
thanks again for the positive comments...
my buddy has a .38 snubnose that he wants a holster for, hes talking iwb and whatnot... i told him all that jibber jabber better be code for cowboy rig:D
Gene

AJumbo
October 18, 2013, 08:41 PM
Good work!

ivankerley
October 18, 2013, 11:38 PM
Good work!
thanks, gotta alot to work on for future projects but i know i can make a functional holster
Thanks
Gene

EVIL
October 19, 2013, 11:21 AM
Great job! Classic lines & nice tooling pattern. Certainly far better than my first holster!

baronthered
October 20, 2013, 12:32 AM
just two words to say, Verrrrrrry NICE! If I were doing something like that I'd hope I could do half as good inside a year. As another poster said, you may have found your calling. Look forward to your next project.

ivankerley
October 20, 2013, 01:14 AM
but i enjoyed making it, got a ways to go before id ever consider charging somebody:)
Thanks for the praise and encouragement
Gene

ivankerley
November 29, 2013, 04:51 PM
still have to touch up a few spots with the dye job but heres the rig, got alot of practice ahead of me but first attempt on belt and holster aint too shabby, been wearing it around the house, passed that test without falling apart suppose im good to go:D .25" inch thick, 2.5" wide
Thanks All
Gene
PS next time i do one im gonna switch to fiebings dye, the ecoflow works okay but seems more like paint

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n161/IVAN_666_evil/RIG_zpsef4763aa.jpg

BHP FAN
November 29, 2013, 05:30 PM
Holy crud! I sure don't see any mistakes....

RPRNY
November 29, 2013, 06:17 PM
Fiebings is good stuff. Very nice job on that rig!!!!

Robbins290
November 29, 2013, 08:03 PM
Wow. That looks soo good

psyopspec
November 30, 2013, 12:06 AM
That's a work of art. Great job!

ivankerley
November 30, 2013, 11:24 AM
im working on a figural art piece now to see if i can get more comfortable with carving and stamping, so when i do the next one it will hopefully look alot neater.
the ecoflow stuff works fine, just looks and acts a little more like paint, doesnt seem to penetrate very deep.
Thanks for the encouraging words, appreciate them
Gene

Harrod
December 5, 2013, 06:56 AM
Beautiful, just absolutely beautiful, and the matching belt just completes the package. Does it have a hammer loop?

ivankerley
December 5, 2013, 07:24 PM
Beautiful, just absolutely beautiful, and the matching belt just completes the package. Does it have a hammer loop?
not yet, but i intend to add a simple hammer thong, in all the excitement i overlooked it:D retention is very good, still wouldnt want to get upside down with it :) thanks for the kind words, im happy with it given its my first rig, learned alot, the belt wore me out though, was more tedious than the holster
thanks
Gene

el Godfather
December 13, 2013, 04:07 PM
Care to take orders??!!?!?

I will be first to place an order for such quality holster for my Colt Anaconda.

ivankerley
December 14, 2013, 09:59 PM
Care to take orders??!!?!?

I will be first to place an order for such quality holster for my Colt Anaconda.

wow thanks! im a ways away from being comfortable making something for a paying customer but thanks so much! Colt Anaconda!!! funny you should mention that cause i got an old issue of G&A Magnum handguns thats got Colts Anaconda on the front, believe its from '90 or so, was mine when i was a teen
havent had the fortune to handle or shoot a Colt but ive loved them since i was a kid
Thanks
Gene

Here ya go blast from the past!

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n161/IVAN_666_evil/Mobile%20Uploads/bea22aa9-ced0-4e72-84c3-de8e3f739542_zpsf2c98225.jpg

snakeman
December 14, 2013, 10:21 PM
NICE!!!!

Queen_of_Thunder
December 15, 2013, 02:48 PM
It's good enough to buy from what I see. One thing I've done recently is to fund someone to do leather work for me. I just got my holster back that was made for my GP100 and its fantastic. I'm going to have some more scabbards made for rifles and shotguns.

ivankerley
December 15, 2013, 06:30 PM
It's good enough to buy from what I see. One thing I've done recently is to fund someone to do leather work for me. I just got my holster back that was made for my GP100 and its fantastic. I'm going to have some more scabbards made for rifles and shotguns.
why thank you! i intend on doing another one shortly, got a buddy that wants a holster for a snubbie and my dad maybe buying a single action that would need something! i really enjoyed the holster the belt was a little tedious but im glad i did it
Thanks
Gene

mic214
December 25, 2013, 01:10 PM
Great looking holster......Nice job!

huntershooter
December 25, 2013, 05:41 PM
Well done!
Amazing "first effort" sir.

earlthegoat2
December 26, 2013, 05:47 PM
Fiebing's is superior dye. I have not found anything marketed as leather dye that does not work but Fiebing's is one of the best. Oil based and soaks right in. I think you will find that Fiebing's is much more durable as it penetrates further.

What did you use to get the sheen on the leather like that? Atom wax, shoe polish?

BTW: Im not your competition in holsters. I make bags (womens and mens), belts, and small accessories.

ivankerley
December 26, 2013, 06:55 PM
Fiebing's is superior dye. I have not found anything marketed as leather dye that does not work but Fiebing's is one of the best. Oil based and soaks right in. I think you will find that Fiebing's is much more durable as it penetrates further.

What did you use to get the sheen on the leather like that? Atom wax, shoe polish?

BTW: Im not your competition in holsters. I make bags (womens and mens), belts, and small accessories.
yeah i have a bunch of eco flow stuff, its not bad but the black has been problematic on a piece this big especially. The eco flow i used was called ecoflo all-in-one, buffs out to a nice shine, used a little renwax although in the future i probably wont use the ecoflo all in one or use wax... im still learning!
thanks
Gene

wally247
January 8, 2014, 11:06 PM
If that's your first I'm just going to throw my tools out. I've been working on leather for about a year and nothing I make is near that good.

ivankerley
January 8, 2014, 11:42 PM
If that's your first I'm just going to throw my tools out. I've been working on leather for about a year and nothing I make is near that good.

Haha, thank you so much it's really my first holster although I've made quite a few knife sheaths over the last three years, a lot of the same principles apply
Care to share what you've done i'd love to see them
I appreciate the kind words
Gene

flhtom1948
January 8, 2014, 11:55 PM
I really like the sewing, the strong-looking leather -what quality. That alone would be reason enough to make your own! Congrats!! The color and shine on those grips is eye-catching, too

ivankerley
January 9, 2014, 12:02 AM
I really like the sewing, the strong-looking leather -what quality. That alone would be reason enough to make your own! Congrats!! The color and shine on those grips is eye-catching, too
thanks man! welcome to the High road!
Gene

If you enjoyed reading about "1st holster attempt Mexican loop" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!