Maybe a little better way to clean?

PDA

AbitNutz
October 13, 2013, 12:52 PM
Ok, I admit it. I'm freakin' lazy when it comes to cleaning my guns. You can get away with that to a huge degree when you shoot smokeless and your firearm is stainless steel. Do that with black powder, even in stainless and you end up with...well we, all know what you end up with.

I have used our new dishwasher to great success with my stainless ROA. I still scrub it and Kroil or Ballistol it. Every now and then I break it down to every last bit and go over it. Mostly for piece of mind. Its never shown any internal rot. However, I'm always open to a better way.

Harbor Freight had their sidewalk sale this weekend and had 2.5 liter ultrasonic/heater cleaner on sale. I added a 25% off coupon and it followed me home. I've read this is the same one that Lyman sells. It sure looks like it to me.

Anyway, It's not big enough to take my 5-1/2" ROA with the grips frame on it but fits just right with without it.

I've read where the recommended solution to clean brass is a 50/50 mix of water and vinegar. Not sure what I should use with stainless steel.

I'll let you all know what the results are. I'm hoping it will tidy up the tough parts, like nipples. Please feel free to recommend a solvent or potion to try...

If you enjoyed reading about "Maybe a little better way to clean?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Steel Horse Rider
October 13, 2013, 01:17 PM
If you are using hot or warm water I would just add some Dawn dish detergent.

AbitNutz
October 13, 2013, 01:58 PM
This thing has a heater in it. It gets it pretty hot...I just ran some cylinders through it and and I'm running the barrel/frame though it now. All I used is some Simple Green. I'm not sure that does anything at all.

The this thing is terrific! The brass colored Treso nipples are now brass colored again. Crap just seems to "waft" off parts. The water is too cloudy to see through within a minute or two.

I'm going to try different solutions but with just plain water it is pretty impressive.

Tommygunn
October 13, 2013, 03:35 PM
Abitnutz, using vinegar on brass parts may work fine but don't clean blued parts with it or they will not be "blued" for very long.:eek:;)

AbitNutz
October 13, 2013, 03:52 PM
This is why I'd be a "bad" chemical engineer. I'd better stick to IT stuff. Fortunately I got read your warning before I moved from stainless steel to blued.

I gotta tell you. This thing works the cats a$$. Unless it breaks and forces me to buy a really expensive unit, it's about the best $60 I've spent in a long time.

Of course, if I had a really big one I could drop that big 'ole Holly 850 cfm carb I've been meaning to get cleaned up.

I have a new plan! No, wait, same plan.

rodwha
October 13, 2013, 05:38 PM
I tried the dishwasher trick with my stainless ROA, but it didn't clean it very well. I do use the dry cycle though.

I don't mind cleaning my pistol in a little plastic storage box as it doesn't really take much time or hard work. My blued Lyman's shooting Pyrodex is another story.

Driftwood Johnson
October 13, 2013, 06:23 PM
Howdy

Why do some folks think it is OK to clean a revolver, with lead residue on it, in the same dishwasher that they use to clean their family's dishes?

I would never, ever, clean a firearm in a dishwasher.

Murphy's Mix and Ballistol is the way I clean all my firearms that get fired with Black Powder.

BowerR64
October 13, 2013, 06:51 PM
Lately i remove the cylinder and the ram rod and i get a bed bath tub i got last hospital visit and i fill it with steamy hot water with some dish soap.

I dunk it in the water upside down that way i dont have to remove the wood. I then run a .45 brash brush threw it and dunk it a few more times.

The whole time the cylinder and ram rod are soaking.

After i wipe off the barrel i run some Tompson Center bore cleaner on a patch threw it a few times (i dont know whats in it, its a milkey white color)

Let that dry then run a dry clean patch threw it till it comes out clean. Then run another patch with bore butter threw it.

I do the same to the cylinder and ram rod then put it all back together.

I do this about 3-4 trips to the range before i tear it all down and clean the trigger parts.

Usually takes me about half hour per gun.

IMO the trigger parts dont get near as dirty as the barrel, cylinder and the cylinder pin.

I average about 18-24 shots each gun each trip to the range.

AbitNutz
October 13, 2013, 07:04 PM
I did notice a big improvement when I installed a new dishwasher. The new one is markedly better at cleaning my ROA. I have no idea if it cleans dishes any better. They pretty much look the same to me when covered with food. After a cycle I can run a patch with Ballistol through it and it comes out clean. The addition of the ultrasonic cleaner really seems to get to the itty bitty parts inside.

As far as being a danger...meh, if my wife's cooking and McDonald's hasn't killed me. I guess I just live dangerously.

BowerR64
October 13, 2013, 07:10 PM
I wouldnt do it either.

When i started using this bed bath bucket it was clean, now it has all kinds of black stuff left behind on the bottom of the bucket and ive scrubbed it and its like stained.

I dont know if its lead or if its fouling all i know is i wouldnt want to eat out of it.

Maybe you dont care or your wife but what about people you have over? Dont they use your dishes and eat or drink at your home?

A friend of mine his wife puts ash trays and washes the toilet bowel brush in their dish washer. After i found that out i bring my own cup and only eat off paper plates at their house. Its pretty disgusting to think they eat off those dishes. :barf:

jgh4445
October 13, 2013, 08:11 PM
Duelist1954 has a good video on cleaning a C&B revolver. Pretty simple really.

303tom
October 14, 2013, 12:25 AM
If you are using hot or warm water I would just add some Dawn dish detergent.
Always seems to work for me !.............

MMA1991
October 14, 2013, 06:26 PM
I break down and fully clean my 1851 Navy 100% of the way each time I return from the range. This helps assuage my obsessive compulsive tendencies when it comes to keeping my guns clean.:D

After cleaning with hot soap and water, I place all of the metal parts on a cookie sheet and then in the oven which I preheated on its lowest setting setting (175 degrees). I leave the cookie sheet in the oven for 20 minutes to dry (evaporate off) any moisture.

When I take the cookie sheet out, I lube the parts with olive oil and reassemble. The gun looks like it came out the box yesterday.

Gaucho Gringo
October 15, 2013, 04:37 PM
I had an old portable dishwasher I used outside to clean auto parts, gun parts and whatever else needed cleaning. I had hot water to it and it worked great. It made oil pans and valve covers look clean enough to eat out of. Dishwashing detergent is a very good cleaner. Used it to clean the scum out of my stainless steel thermos bottles. Just fill with hot water, put in the detergent and it starts roiling. After a few minutes the scum starts coming to the top. Rinse when it is done and the insides look like they have polished.

Malachi Leviticus Blue
October 15, 2013, 07:34 PM
This thing has a heater in it. It gets it pretty hot...I just ran some cylinders through it and and I'm running the barrel/frame though it now. All I used is some Simple Green. I'm not sure that does anything at all.

The this thing is terrific! The brass colored Treso nipples are now brass colored again. Crap just seems to "waft" off parts. The water is too cloudy to see through within a minute or two.

I'm going to try different solutions but with just plain water it is pretty impressive.

I've heard somewhere that Simple Green attacks aluminum. Watch out for those aluminum grip frames on the Older Ruger Old Armys.

Schwing
October 15, 2013, 10:50 PM
I know a lot of shooters will call B.S. on the danger of washing firearms in the dishwasher but it isn't a good idea to use the same dishwasher that your family washes dishes in.

Trust me. I have been complaining on other threads about my lead level problems and have spent hundreds of hours studying the possible avenues of lead exposure. Washing firearms in the dishwasher is an almost 100% guarantee that your family is eating at least some lead. Most of this is lead stearate from primer residue but there will also be very small traces of lead from the bullets as well. The lead accumulates in the lubrication and, as your dishwasher cycles, the entire interior is coated with it. Most of it will be rinsed out but...

It is one of those cases where the amount of exposure will be almost too small to measure but repeated exposure in very small quantities is what gets most people in trouble and it is exponentially more dangerous to small children.

Take my .02 for what it is worth.

BowerR64
October 26, 2013, 01:18 AM
I shot my 2 colt revolvers today using goex i think i shot the .44 6 times 4 with goex, then i shot the .36 2 times using goex.

I fill a little 12"X12" tube with steamy water about 4 inches i think about a gallon of water. When i was done the water was black as coffee.

Every scratch in the bottom of the tub is pitted with black fouling. I know that guys dishwasher is full of suit in the bottom there is no way it couldnt be.

Col4570
October 26, 2013, 02:24 AM
Black Powder residue dissolves better with cold water,followed by scalding Hot water to dry the Gun,followed by a wipe over with an oily rag.

BowerR64
October 26, 2013, 02:42 AM
well still the bucket was filled with black water and its stained i would never even think to eat out of it or wash anything in it ide eat off of.

Zeke/PA
October 26, 2013, 04:07 PM
I don't like cleaning BP guns either but I have a dedicated bucket that gets half full of boiling water when that particular task is at hand. I like the results too!

Texas Moon
October 27, 2013, 10:55 AM
Tried the "Bake the gun and add cooking oil to season the metal" thing.
I'm sold on it.
I can leave a gun dirty for a few days and it doesn't rust.
I can rinse the gun off and lightly clean around the hammer/nipples and take it out and run it some more.
About every 2nd/3rd range trip the gun gets completely broken down and scrubbed.
After dis-assembly all parts go in a tub of hot water and ivory soap.
Soak for a while and then toothbrush cleaned under running hot water.
Parts go on a teflon pan and oven baked at 200deg for 45minutes.
Slathered with cooking oil again.
Then wiped and re-assembled.
All my guns are blue steel.

If you enjoyed reading about "Maybe a little better way to clean?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!