Taylor's 1865 Spencer Carbine

PDA

duelist1954
October 13, 2013, 06:29 PM
With a seven-round magazine capacity, I know the 1865 Spencer lever-action carbine won't be viable for CAS, but I think it was the best U.S. cavalry arm of the 19th century.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwhLuhRWYyI

If you enjoyed reading about "Taylor's 1865 Spencer Carbine" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
BSA1
October 13, 2013, 08:03 PM
Ha! Get me a company of mounted troopers armed with Trapdoor Carbines and I'll drive those red savages into the Pacific Ocean...

...loosely translated quote from General Custer

....very, very loosely translated quote

.....say, where are all of those dang arrows coming from???

Steel Horse Rider
October 13, 2013, 10:37 PM
Wash-sha-taa is the way it was pronounced in Oklahoma. What is the list price on one of those? I think I have found a new "must have" repro unless I can find an original in usable condition!

Jim K
October 14, 2013, 01:18 AM
"...best U.S. cavalry arm of the 19th century."

Well, up to the adoption of the Model 1896 at least.

Jim

StrawHat
October 14, 2013, 08:22 AM
Too bad the Spencer wasn't issued in greater numbers during the Civil War.

I had a couple of originals and shot them. I was not impressed with the cartridge. The new ones are more of the same.

72coupe
October 14, 2013, 10:26 AM
Nice work Mike. That is the best explanation of operating the Spencer that I have seen.

Crawdad1
October 14, 2013, 12:28 PM
As always, Great video Mike.

goon
October 14, 2013, 01:31 PM
I had a couple of originals and shot them. I was not impressed with the cartridge. The new ones are more of the same.

But compared to a front-stuffing .58 Enfield or Springfield, anything that can shoot seven times and that has all the advantages of a metallic cartridge was absolute space-age technology during the Civil War!

....say, where are all of those dang arrows coming from???

And .44 rimfire rounds. There were lots of Henrys and Yellow Boys at the Little Big Horn. The problem for Custer was that almost all of them were being fired at him.

Personally, I'd like to try a Spencer, but it's a complete luxury item. It wouldn't do anything for my uses that a used Marlin 30-30 couldn't do better. Except be awesome and historic... it could do that better than almost anything else!

BSA1
October 14, 2013, 06:44 PM
A 56-50 Spencer Carbine is my Holy Grail gun.

Sheepdog1968
October 15, 2013, 01:11 AM
Very very cool. I can see owning one of these.

AlexanderA
October 15, 2013, 01:53 AM
Here's some interesting information on loading the .56-50 cartridge:

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,12325.0.html

Big Al Mass
October 15, 2013, 06:41 PM
Question. Can the Spencer be rapid-fired by cycling the lever with the hammer down? The thought just popped into my head as I was watching the video.

Steel Horse Rider
October 15, 2013, 07:01 PM
I don't think so as the hammer had to be manually pulled back to the "cock" position in every video I have seen.

duelist1954
October 15, 2013, 07:42 PM
You can't fire it without cocking the hammer. It appears to have an inertial firing pin, so slam-firing is out.

If you enjoyed reading about "Taylor's 1865 Spencer Carbine" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!