challenge accepted...

PDA

tahunua001
October 13, 2013, 11:35 PM
... and conquered.
I got my deer with the 9mm. at 50 yards one shot to drop it, a second to the head to make sure it stayed down.
http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/p563/tahunua001/100_1542_zps85d57c39.jpg

I was using 147gr speer deep curls in front of 5.1gr of power pistol. the shot to the head was a through and through but the drop shot lodged just under the hide of the opposite side after passing through the spine.
http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/p563/tahunua001/100_1547_zpsfcb5bdf3.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "challenge accepted..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
horsemen61
October 13, 2013, 11:40 PM
While hunting with a 9mm is not on my short list. I congratulate you on a job well done looks like good shot placement and your distance was right so way to go.

tahunua001
October 13, 2013, 11:47 PM
my whole goal was to force myself to get close enough to use it. it was a bit of a challenge to myself. it's too easy to take a 200 yard shot when I have a 243 in my hands to try to get closer. with the 9mm I had to get close.

Storm27m
October 14, 2013, 09:43 AM
Next challenge...bowhunting! :what:

Congrats on the deer. When I read the 9mm in the title, I cringed a little bit but in a rifle, I don't imagine the velocity would be too far off from a 357mag in a handgun. How are you liking them Deep Curls? I'm looking for a new bullet for my 44mag. It looks like it held up well for blasting through the spine.

wgaynor
October 14, 2013, 10:15 AM
Awesome! Too many people underestimate the ability of the 9mm in the hands of a good shooter. Around where I hunt, 50 yards is about the longest shot you'll get. Sounds like it'd be the right tool for the job, but I can't resist the calling of my .30-.30.

tahunua001
October 14, 2013, 10:32 AM
I would heavily recommend deep curls. the accuracy was not bad and weight retention is excellent. would you believe it if I said 98% weight retention? I don't know if I'll ever take up bowhunting, that would require bowhunters ed, a bow(of course) and much upper body conditioning and I'm kindof a lazy fellow.

I agree that the 9mm is underestimated in the right hands but Iam not that great of shot. the reason that this hit the spine was because it hit high, I just lucked out and it dropped the animal anyway.

madFive
October 14, 2013, 01:20 PM
Good goin'!

That wooden AR furniture is dead sexy - can't say I've ever seen that before.

tahunua001
October 14, 2013, 06:30 PM
it's actually starting to become quite common but it seems like everytime a new maker pops up another discontinues it. this was a RRA kit that is now discontinued. probably because it's not very durable, the stock is starting to split and the forend is cracked and I don't even abuse it that much.

CraigC
October 15, 2013, 06:11 PM
You definitely used the right bullet. Textbook expansion, nice. :)

If you enjoyed reading about "challenge accepted..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!