How do you feel about Redfield Scopes?

PDA

Snowblind
October 14, 2013, 01:42 AM
Was thinking about getting one for a Mini-14. I don't have much budget to work with, these seem pretty good budget scopes. Issue is, there's a debate about whether or not they're truly "American Made." They seem to claim that on their site, but I've heard otherwise. Anybody actually know? Anybody have one?

The product I'm most interested is the 'Revenge' series with the range-finding whizmo. How exactly does that work? Anybody tried it? Thoughts on it?

http://www.redfield.com/redfield-revenge/

If you enjoyed reading about "How do you feel about Redfield Scopes?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ugaarguy
October 14, 2013, 02:12 AM
You use the top of the reticle to estimate distance, and then use the hash marks at the bottom of the reticle to give you the proper hold over indicated by your range estimate.

Are they US Made? Yes, they're made in the US by Leupold & Stevens. Are they made from imported components, from domestically made components, or from a mix of the two? I don't know.

I think they're great scopes for the price, and offer quite a bit of value. They also carry Leupold's excellent lifetime warranty. If you're interested in decent optical quality with great durability and warranty they're a good buy. There are other brands in that price range that probably have better optics, but the actual warranty support and / or durability isn't what Redfield-Leupold offers. You can get a lot in a budget scope nowadays, but you still can't get everything. Those other brands aren't even going to assembled in the US either.

For use on a semi-auto rifle, I'd take the Redfield for durability and (just in case) warranty support.

Davek1977
October 14, 2013, 02:37 AM
I only own on Redfield, a 2x7 Revolution that rides upon my AR, but I have no complaints whatsoever about the one I own. For the price, its a good scope.

jakk280rem
October 14, 2013, 03:03 AM
My understanding is they, and the rest of the Luepold line, are made using glass ground in Japan. Not a deal breaker for me. The thing I didn't care for the last time I looked at a new Redfield was the reduction of eye relief as magnification increases. The ratio of reduction decreases as you move up the line. When you go shopping check your eye relief at minimum and maximum magnification. If you can live with it, I think you'll like it as it's a decent scope.

Abel
October 14, 2013, 06:04 AM
The Redfield line is split up into three divisions: Revolution, Revenge and Battlezone. The Revolution is assembled here in the USA, while the rest are put together elsewhere. I have a 2-7X33 Rev. on a rifle and it has been great. It is backed by Leupold's warranty if anything goes wrong.

jmr40
October 14, 2013, 07:24 AM
The Revolution is basically an old Leupold VX-1 rebadged. I have 2 of them, a 2-7X32 and 3-9X40, both are good scopes. But for the small price difference would just buy the VX-1 today. I wouldn't touch the Revenge or Battlezone scopes.

For about the same money the Burris FF-II is another option I'd consider.

CarJunkieLS1
October 14, 2013, 08:58 AM
I have a Redfield Revenge on my Tikka .270 and I couldn't be happier. It holds zero adjustments are spot on and the glass is clearer than the Nikon Prostaff that's on my .308. My next scope will be the Revolution series.

HexHead
October 14, 2013, 09:04 AM
The Revenge is made in the Phillipines. The Revolution is made here, and is basically a VX-1, but with finger click turrets instead of friction ones. Both come with the Leupold warranty.

ssyoumans
October 14, 2013, 11:57 AM
I put a Redfield Revolution on my AR10 for hunting. Seems to be pretty solid so far, only around 100 rounds through it.

I don't think I would spend $275 on a scope for a Mini-14, mine were not very accurate so I sold them. I'd look at a Mueller APT or APV if you want a good affordable scope for the Mini. Best I could ever get was about 4", usually 6" at 100 yards. I hear the newer ones (2010+) are better with a beefier barrel.

NapalmMan67
October 14, 2013, 03:01 PM
+1 for the Revolution series. Have a 4-12x40 on my .308 and it has been flawless.

WayBeau
October 15, 2013, 12:48 PM
I have a 3-9x50 on my Ruger 30.06 and coudn't be happier. When I was looking for a scope I compared the Nikon and Redfield. The Redfield just looked a lot clearer than the Nikon. So far I haven't had any problems with it.

thunder173
October 15, 2013, 01:16 PM
Don't know anything about the new ones,...but I have a Redfield 2X Long Eye Relief on a Winchester 94 30/30 that was put together by a gentleman for my Dad, mounted "Scout" style back in the early 1960's. It has been hunted hard, and is well used, but keeps on "keepin' on."

Funny thing,...Pop shot right handed,..... both my brother and I shoot southpaw,...and we have both hunted with this rifle. Neither of us have ever found it necessary to to change either windage or elevation. I check it for zero periodically. For me, it is dead nuts on at 50 yards with 170 grain rounds,...and about an inch low at 100 yards.

Lost Pop in 79,....but one of his great grandsons will use it this year for rifle deer here in northern Michigan.

BigG
October 15, 2013, 03:28 PM
A good scope costs about as much as the rifle you put it on.

Outlaw Man
October 15, 2013, 07:04 PM
A good scope costs about as much as the rifle you put it on.
While that's an OK place to start, the applicability of that comparison varies widely with the rifle. No one is going to put a $9k scope on their Barrett. On the other hand, there are some entry level bolt actions that wouldn't be "over-scoped" with a $600 Leopold.

I'd probably spend a tad more on a scope for a Mini - some of them are much more accurate than a lot of people give them credit for. If that was all I could spend on the scope, though, I think you could do a lot worse.

243winxb
October 15, 2013, 07:50 PM
Buy Bushnell

If you enjoyed reading about "How do you feel about Redfield Scopes?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!