Which is the best CZ pistol in SD, HD and Target categories?

PDA

el Godfather
October 14, 2013, 05:00 PM
Dear THR:
Which CZ pistol would you choose for:

1. Self Defense
2. Home Defense
3. Range / Targets / Competition

My picks are

1. CZ 75 compact shadow line
2. CZ 75 Auto
3. Czechmate

Thank you

If you enjoyed reading about "Which is the best CZ pistol in SD, HD and Target categories?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
billybob44
October 14, 2013, 05:17 PM
I like my CZ PO-1 for SD + HD best.

My CZ-75B Stainless for carry when I can cover with coat/jacket. Also GREAT range pistol.

leadcounsel
October 14, 2013, 10:11 PM
If I were picking CZ, I would pick a CZ Phantom for home defense. That gun is nearly perfect.

Fits my hand perfectly, and I have size large hands. Extremely ergonomic. I think the mags are 18+1.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SeZSWG06UM

Just a real joy to shoot.

For carry, I'd get the CZ P01. Another excellent pistol.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuB8N5GvnjI

CZs, in my experience, after owning and shooting many, are wonderfully accurate and reliable.

CZs are one of my top favorite pistol lines.

With CZs, you have to decide whether you prefer the decocker or safety models.

The standard CZ75 models come with a 1911 style safety. The P01 series comes with the decocker.

You could get the P07 series, and the ability to change from decocker to safety... but frankly from a CZ fans standpoint, this swap out part feels cheap.

barnbwt
October 14, 2013, 10:26 PM
CZ52 for all three (cuz that's the only CZ I have :D)

TCB

Otto
October 15, 2013, 03:33 AM
A Checkmate? Way too pricey, might as well get a Les Baer
Please realize that most factory CZ's have crappy triggers. A decent trigger is a must for accuracy. Figure spending an extra $200 to improve the pull.
I have a CZ 75 SHADOW T. It's basically defective because the dust cover drags on the slide. CZ Custom refused to make it right...so I'm done with them.
Also have a 75B stainless. As mentioned the trigger sucked and it was re-done. Accuracy is sub-par because the barrel lacks a bushing and there's excessive movement at the end of the muzzle. I'm talking to a gunsmith to install a bushing. CZ Custom has started to offer bushings but they look hideous.
I've also bought a CZ 97 in 45acp. The quality control was crappy with barrel movement at the hood and muzzle but fortunately Buds Guns took the gun back.

If you do decide on a CZ, get a SAO (single action only) for a better trigger.

BowerR64
October 15, 2013, 03:47 AM
Ide use this becasue its the only CZ i have as well.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y191/BowerR64/Pistols/75SP01_zps971c7530.jpg

I kinda like it.

I dont know if ide carry it though, its a bit of a pig with a loaded mag.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y191/BowerR64/Pistols/CZ75SP01weight_zps0eb419cf.jpg

TarDevil
October 15, 2013, 04:59 AM
75D PCR
P09
SP01 Shadow

5-SHOTS
October 15, 2013, 06:17 AM
For my experience is:
1)CZ P-01;
2)CZ P-01;
3)CZ P-01. :p:neener:

frankiestoys
October 15, 2013, 07:10 AM
I have a 75 compact while not really made for target shooting it does alright ,good carry gun though

el Godfather
October 15, 2013, 07:42 AM
^ which compact?

mes228
October 15, 2013, 07:42 AM
For carry it's quite hard to beat plastic pistols. I have quite a few handguns that are steel. However, I carry a plastic one (Glock 23 stoked with Glock 22 mags and a "collar" to fill the gap). I think the CZ 75 P07 Duty is a superb pistol and a great value. Holsters are not common but can be ordered.

blahpony
October 15, 2013, 09:12 AM
A CZ P-07 will fit in a SA XD 4" holster just fine. I have an OWB one for mine and it works great.

Pilot
October 15, 2013, 09:33 AM
The CZ PCR can actually fill all the roles you state, however, it is my main carry piece. Sometimes it is also my nightstand/SD pistol but my 75B or
Browning Hi Power normally takes that role.

For range/completion I'd go with a tuned SP-01 Shadow.

Pilot
October 15, 2013, 09:39 AM
A Checkmate? Way too pricey, might as well get a Les Baer
Please realize that most factory CZ's have crappy triggers. A decent trigger is a must for accuracy. Figure spending an extra $200 to improve the pull.
I have a CZ 75 SHADOW T. It's basically defective because the dust cover drags on the slide. CZ Custom refused to make it right...so I'm done with them.
Also have a 75B stainless. As mentioned the trigger sucked and it was re-done. Accuracy is sub-par because the barrel lacks a bushing and there's excessive movement at the end of the muzzle. I'm talking to a gunsmith to install a bushing. CZ Custom has started to offer bushings but they look hideous.
I've also bought a CZ 97 in 45acp. The quality control was crappy with barrel movement at the hood and muzzle but fortunately Buds Guns took the gun back.

Wow. Sounds like you have had really bad luck with CZ. I have a PCR, 75B, and Kadet Kit .22LR conversion unit that I use on both. All have been flawless, and accurate with excellent out of the box triggers. They did get better with use.

I don't think the CZ design needs a barrel bushing. If it did then that could be said for almost any semi auto that doesn't have a barrel bushing. A Beretta 92 series may be one that could use a bushing, but that would be for serious target work.

My shooting buddy as an SP-01 Shadow that is totally stock, and very easy to shoot accurately. It is almost boringly accurate.

ForumSurfer
October 15, 2013, 10:17 AM
For my experience is:
1)CZ P-01;
2)CZ P-01;
3)CZ P-01. :p:neener:

What he said. I can only comment on that and the PCR. My p-01 trigger feels so much better than my PCR that I previously owned. I understand there aren't many differences between the two, so my PCR must have been a lemon.

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p188/johnnnyhgmail/CZ%20PCR/2C4FA74C-C3B0-47DD-B82A-BA2323D15315-2683-000003BA4426F032_zps0833b38e.jpg

mnhntr
October 15, 2013, 10:55 AM
CZ 97 BD for all 3 categories

Walt Sherrill
October 15, 2013, 12:42 PM
CZ 97 BD for all 3 categories

Great gun, but kind of BIG and HEAVY for concealed carry for some people/body types. Otherwise great for HD. SD, and range/traget use.

jjones45
October 15, 2013, 12:51 PM
1. cz p07 duty
2. cz p97
3. cz sp01

Posted from Thehighroad.org App for Android

jjones45
October 15, 2013, 12:55 PM
1. cz p07 duty
2. cz p97
3. cz sp01

sorry about that, there is no p97, I meant 97 bd

Otto
October 15, 2013, 01:18 PM
I don't think the CZ design needs a barrel bushing. If it did then that could be said for almost any semi auto that doesn't have a barrel bushing.
No, my Sigs don't have anywhere near the barrel slop as the CZ's do and I own 8 Sig pistols. Fact is, if there is any barrel wiggle at the muzzle, accuracy is compromised.
CZ Custom in AZ is beginning to address this issue. But their bushings looks like crap.

http://czcustom.com/images/products/detail/AccuShadowBushing_0026a.jpg

Pilot
October 15, 2013, 01:47 PM
^^^^^^Interesting. That is the first I've seen of that barrel bushing. Thanks for posting. Both my 75B, and PCR are nice, and tight. No noticeable "slop" in barrel lock up, and they are both more accurate than I am. Still, a barrel bushing can't hurt, and I really don't mind the looks of that one, but obviously you do.

ClickClickD'oh
October 15, 2013, 02:06 PM

Or you could just fire a few boxes of ammo through it. CZs triggers break in with use.

Big Dave
October 15, 2013, 02:55 PM
Otto, How does the slide drag on the dust cover on your Shadow? Are the slide rails deformed or burred?

Walt Sherrill
October 15, 2013, 03:28 PM
No, my Sigs don't have anywhere near the barrel slop as the CZ's do and I own 8 Sig pistols. Fact is, if there is any barrel wiggle at the muzzle, accuracy is compromised.
CZ Custom in AZ is beginning to address this issue. But their bushings looks like crap.

I presently own several SIGs and have had many CZs, still have an 85 Combat and custom AT-84s. I have never really noticed (nor heard others complain about) barrel or lockup slop (i.e., an ability to move the barrel around when the slide was fully closed/in battery) in any of the CZ models. I have heard complaints about the 97B plastic bushing. I had one, and the bushing wasn't tight -- in fact, the manuall said "don't make it tight", but the gun still shot well. (The plastic was offputting for many folks; I don't know if this is still a characteristic of the new 97Bs...)

I've never noticed a great difference in accuracy, either, between my SIGs and my CZs. (Several of my Glocks are equally accurate, and they don't have removable bushings. In competition, some of my best scores were done using a Glock 34... Go figure.)

The SIG lockup design is slightly different than the design used in the basic traditional the CZ-75B-based guns. With the 75-based design, the barrel, slide and frame are designed to lockup at the rear and a bushing would offer little benefit. Exceptions are the 40B, the 97B and maybe the new P-07/P-09, which are more SIG-like in their lockup design.

Many guns have bushings, but they just aren't removable: the BHP and CZ-75 have separate bushing pressed into the slide; they aren't easily removed -- as there's no reason to do so. With many (most?) of the guns that have removable bushings, they're removable for a reason: you can't field strip them, otherwise.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Custom Shop's work on bushings is for guns with the newer lockup design. (That said, the 40B used a SIG-like lockup design, but didn't require a removable bushing.)

Orion8472
October 15, 2013, 04:00 PM
1. Self Defense - CZ 75 Compact [without rail]. Thin "CZ Rami", if they would make it.
2. Home Defense - CZ P-09 . . . with +2 base plate. :-D
3. Range / Targets / Competition - Custom CZ SP-01 with competition hammer and SAO trigger.

For anyone else, . . . I think a basic CZ 75 would do pretty well for each catagory.

777TRUTH
October 16, 2013, 03:18 AM
My choices

Self Defense - RAMI, PCR

Home Defense / Competition - The SP-01comes in a variety of configurations.

I would also have no problem using the CZ 75B for home defense and competition.

bannockburn
October 16, 2013, 06:52 AM
I like my P-01 for all three.

Roadking Rider
October 16, 2013, 04:29 PM
Going to have to agree the Po-1 for all three. It is without question the best 9mm pistol I've ever shot in the $500 /$600 price range.
I know that might sound like I'm a fan boy, but in reality I have a few different brand name pistols that I own and like, I have traded my share of pistols in the last couple years. However I guess we all have to have a favorite sooner or later, so when all the wheeling and dealing was done I finely found my favorite 9mm of all time. The CZPO-1 and it has a no trade clause built right in.

Hurryin' Hoosier
October 16, 2013, 04:43 PM
Admitting up-front that my wife considers me an old fuddy-duddy, my vote goes to my CZ vz.82 in 9x18 Makarov. Fits my hand like a glove, and is probably the most spot-on accurate pistol I've ever fired.

Roadking Rider
October 17, 2013, 07:22 AM
CZ82 is also a fine pistol. Mine is doing CC duty with my G26 while my XDS9 is on vacation. :D

Litlman
October 20, 2013, 10:49 PM
75B compact, 75B, 85 Combat, 75 dedicated Kadet, and just picked up a P01. Mostly been carrying a S&W 9mm Shield lately. Got to get the PO1 out for a run. All CZ's are stock, run well and are as tight as a tick. Hope the PO1 runs as well as the rest. Don't see why it wouldn't.

1SOW
October 20, 2013, 11:24 PM
1. One of the compact models . There are several new versions available as shown the CZ Custom web site. They show both the Custom and the Factory models.
2. A full size 75/85 is good for HD. If you want to mount a light, see the ones with tac-rails.18rd (actually hold 19) mags fit all of them.
3. One of the Custom Shadow versions. They all have the over-size bbls, etc etc etc
The SPO1 Shadow has the Tac-rail. The 75 Shadow doesn't. Look at the options:
http://czcustom.com/CZ-Custom-Pistols.aspx

I shoot the Custom 75 Shadow, my son shoots the SPO1 Shadow with Custom shop trigger options. Both are great pistols for Range & Competition.

Hurryin' Hoosier
October 21, 2013, 03:48 PM
I find my vz.82 quite suitable at all times and in all places! ;)

Gordon
October 21, 2013, 08:22 PM
My crazy P01 is the 2nd most accurate 9mm I own (out of 15) and is only topped by the OLD SIG 210 . My P01 is sprung and a little honed and has about 2K thru it. It sleeps next to me. :)

Bozwell
October 22, 2013, 08:13 AM
P-01's are great guns. I have no need of the rail for carry though, so I went with a pro-tek using a PCR. Any of the SP-01's are great for HD, and the Phantom can actually have an amazing trigger with the right work done to it. Mine still surprises me. For the range, they're all enjoyable to shoot, although my shadow custom (with and without the kadet) makes me look the best at the range.

Orion8472
October 22, 2013, 09:51 AM
Just to update my post [not content, but to add to its veracity], . . . I took my custom SP-01 to the range over the weekend, and if I were to do my part, it will make one small ragged hole, . . . moreso than other guns I shoot. It excels in allowing a person to make an accurate shot. Of course, to buy one set up like mine, it would probably run a pretty penny. . . or maybe a whole role of pretty pennies, these days.

I don't own one, but I can attest to the P-01 for its accuracy and shooting characteristics.

Having said that, it is really hard to find a CZ that doesn't do a great job for its intended use!

Hurryin' Hoosier
October 22, 2013, 10:59 AM
Just to update my post [not content, but to add to its veracity], . . . I took my custom SP-01 to the range over the weekend, and if I were to do my part, it will make one small ragged hole, . . . moreso than other guns I shoot. It excels in allowing a person to make an accurate shot. Of course, to buy one set up like mine, it would probably run a pretty penny. . . or maybe a whole role of pretty pennies, these days.

I don't own one, but I can attest to the P-01 for its accuracy and shooting characteristics.

Having said that, it is really hard to find a CZ that doesn't do a great job for its intended use!
Very true. Those Bohemians do nice work! ;)

Mat, not doormat
October 23, 2013, 04:38 PM
1. CZ 85
2. CZ 97
3. CZ SP-01 Shadow.

Queen_of_Thunder
October 23, 2013, 05:41 PM
Cz 75 ts

Walt Sherrill
October 23, 2013, 06:23 PM
Cz 75 ts

While the Tactical Sport would be a great gun for the range and possibly for home defense, it would be a bit on the awkward side for carry, and almost impossible for concealed carry.

And, of course, it's really expensive. Hope to get one, one of these days.

Zerodefect
October 23, 2013, 08:39 PM
[broken record mode on] Dan Wesson is CZ, kinda.:neener:[broken record mode off]

If you enjoyed reading about "Which is the best CZ pistol in SD, HD and Target categories?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!