Scored Four Classic 22s

PDA

DAdams
October 15, 2013, 03:01 PM
I bought these four 22 rifles last week from a private seller.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m22/dadams111/Long%20Guns/image_zps309a963d.jpg (http://s100.photobucket.com/user/dadams111/media/Long%20Guns/image_zps309a963d.jpg.html)

Remington Matchmaker 513-T Lyman sights. Built 1940-68. I think this is a 1941.

Marlin 39A
Working on date.

Remington Model 24 22short Semiauto. Lyman sights. Breaks down with no tools in seconds. 1922-35.
Tube comes out of stock.

Stevens Little Scout Model 14 1/2. Single shot LR, rolling breech lock. 1909-1936.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m22/dadams111/Long%20Guns/image_zps5b22f149.jpg (http://s100.photobucket.com/user/dadams111/media/Long%20Guns/image_zps5b22f149.jpg.html)
This semiauto 24 with easy break down is really a cool John Browning design. About 75 years old.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m22/dadams111/Long%20Guns/image_zps40c6bdc6.jpg (http://s100.photobucket.com/user/dadams111/media/Long%20Guns/image_zps40c6bdc6.jpg.html)
Lyman sight on The Matchmaker. Calibrated to 200 yards. Very heavy target rifle in VG condition.

These haven't been fired in probably 25 - 30 years but are in good to very good condition. I have been having fun taking them down, learning about the respective mechanisms, and cleaning them up. Bores are all good to excellent.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m22/dadams111/Long%20Guns/image_zps8a94f932.jpg (http://s100.photobucket.com/user/dadams111/media/Long%20Guns/image_zps8a94f932.jpg.html)

I think the resale value is easily double to triple based on my research.

If you enjoyed reading about "Scored Four Classic 22s" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Hunterdad
October 15, 2013, 03:13 PM
Great score :D

MtnCreek
October 15, 2013, 03:16 PM
$400. I'd say you did good. I love that Rem 24.

Outlaw Man
October 15, 2013, 03:21 PM
Wow! Awesome find!!

DAdams
October 15, 2013, 04:57 PM
The 513-T and 1954 Marlin were both in cases.
The owner said the Marlin was 39A pump.

When he brought those two out in vinyl cases I figured lots of rust. Not so.

He knew nothing about PCs so no research done. Kids didn't want them.
I fussed over them for an hour. Told him I would think about it...but if he would take an offer of 400 I was prepared to buy them on the spot. I only had 500 with me.
He thought about it for a minute, no bump....done deal.

cat_IT_guy
October 15, 2013, 05:23 PM
Looks like you did well..... very well.

JohnBT
October 15, 2013, 05:53 PM
That 39-A Mountie is worth $500 around here. I'm surprised it's a '54 and still that nice. I was guessing mid-60s or so, just comparing one pic to my '63.

Speedo66
October 15, 2013, 05:53 PM
Did you use a gun or a checkbook to rob those? :D

Great deal, congrats.

mdauben
October 15, 2013, 06:00 PM
Now, why can't I stumble on any sweet deals like that? Congratulations!

Bob M.
October 15, 2013, 06:28 PM
Outstanding!! Lucky skunk!! :D

btg3
October 15, 2013, 06:29 PM
:Dpsst, hey buddy... wanna buy some 22LR ammo?

Molasses
October 15, 2013, 06:41 PM
Just judging by the stock style and the checkering, would've figured the Remington bolt gun to be a Model 513-S, instead of a T (at least it sure looks like the stock on mine). Wonder if yours got a stock swap at some point or what?

Shear_stress
October 15, 2013, 07:17 PM
Amazing score!

viking499
October 15, 2013, 08:08 PM
Very nice score.

Gordon
October 15, 2013, 08:17 PM
About a perfect .22 battery IMHO. Allthough I have a couple Anschutz which are slightly more accurate, I have my 513-t at the ready in my shop and it is extremely accurate.Your is nicer prewar with the checkering! Worth $400+. They made 5 & 10 round mags FWIW. The Mountie is a very wonderful piece in those golden years of production before the 70s. I have a full sized rifle from 55 but sure would pay $400 for yours! I like .22 short guns in pumps and semis and it doesn't get much better than your nice one worth more than $250 prolly closer to $300 and a sleeper at that!. What a fun gun around a large yard! Now your 14 1/2 Little scout is in exceptional shape for one and is worth at least $300. Use CB or subsonic .22LR in it and you will be astonished at the accuracy at 50-100 feet! The sights are usually right on for .22LR sub sonic ammo and the pressures are safe if your breech block locks up tight.
Dude you took the motherload!

Jackal
October 15, 2013, 08:59 PM
Honestly, not to sound rude, but you should have offered the old feller more than $400, like the $500 you had on you. Taking advantage of seniors is kind of a lousy thing to do, considering just the Marlin 39 is a $500 rifle alone. I'm all for getting a good deal, but bragging about raking a senior citizen over the coals on THR isnt commendable at all.:fire: There is a line between scoring a good deal and taking advantage of someone. I think your now in that latter category. Your only into these rifles for about 25% of their value, would it have been that terrible to hand him an extra $100? Seriously?:banghead:

DAdams
October 15, 2013, 09:30 PM
Jackal-
The "old feller" asked me over to buy his rifles.
That would be one senior negotiating with another, and he is certainly of sound mind and body.
He said no one in his family wanted them.
The gentleman lives in a million dollar plus house on a lake.
There is a local gun shop in town. They would have probably offered the same, maybe less.
A clear conscience is a soft pillow. There is no profit since I haven't sold them, so right now I'm out 400 for some old wood and steel.
You do your horse trading and leave me to to mine. I came here to share some classic firearms. I don't see any bragging.

courtgreene
October 15, 2013, 09:37 PM
i disagree with Jackal. They were for sale and the OP bought them. He made an offer that no one ever had to accept. He didn't lie to the man and lead him to believe they were worthless (not as reported to us anyway). And the guy could have countered his offer. I'd have done the same thing. It's how business is done. Go to the middle east some day (or lots of countries that haven't had the walmart experience), wander into ANY market place, and see how you feel about paying more to feel like a standup guy after that buying experience.

DAdams beat me to his defense... but I'm leaving it up there because I'm tired of people getting all uptight about deals being struck, and I think it needs to stay.

DAdams
October 15, 2013, 09:50 PM
Courtgreene you are exactly right. Everything is negotiable.
I have a firearm story where the situation was reversed. I knew nothing about handguns 20 years ago. I took 3 nice handguns I inherited to a dealer and he paid me much less than I could have gotten on the open market. He bought them to resell. I sold them to get them out of the house. Sure wished I hadn't sold them but it was the right thing to do at the time. Some would call it Karma.;)

Sun Tzu warrior
October 15, 2013, 10:05 PM
"D" I wouldn't worry too much about what the jackal says, If my family had no use for my treasures (guns) and I really didn't need the money, I would seek out someone like yourself who would cherish them as I have. Then make sure that person (you) could affored to own them! Besides, the statements jackel made was reminisent of warren buffet telling us we should pay more in taxes, bemoaning the fact that he isn't charged enough! Fact of the matter is that he can pay any amount he wishes, and in fact, don't pay any and never will no matter what other's rates are! Besides I get the feeling you bought these fine .22's for personal consumption, not to make a profit. Congrats to you both, you for aquiring them, and him for passing them down (for $400) to someone who appreciates them and will not be in line, at the next gun "buy-back" program.

bikemutt
October 15, 2013, 10:06 PM
My goodness, I've stumbled into some good gun deals but this one is legendary. I just paid $500 for a 39AS that looks about the same condition as the one in the picture.

I've tried to squeeze out a good deal at yard sales and the like, invariably out comes a rusted Jennings or an Iver Johnson that doubled as a fishing weight; ya done good.

berettaprofessor
October 15, 2013, 10:46 PM
Yep, good score. I paid almost that for a 39A alone, and one month ago contemplated $350 for a Remington 24....didn't buy it, went back recently, and it was gone.

DAdams
October 15, 2013, 10:53 PM
My Son hasn't seen these yet. He is thirty. I told him I would never buy anything he wouldn't like to inherit.
I'm not sure how I'm going to break the news to my Wife....another safe.

southoftheboarder
October 15, 2013, 11:02 PM
Great buy and great guns. I have a Remington Speedmaster 22 and shoots only long rifles. My first gun when I was 16. Paid $25 back in 1958.

BCRider
October 15, 2013, 11:14 PM
I was thinking that this was a great deal. Then I read all these posts saying that just the Marlin alone is worth $500. I guess I need to elevate to "one HELLUVA DEAL!".... :D

I also agree that given the fact that no one in his family was interested that there's no harm and no foul. Certainly he didn't pay that much for them back when they were new. So the seller is up as well. And more n'likely he was mostly looking for an appreciative home for his guns.

I also would not sell a one of them. They are all pure classics and deserving of being shot a lot by someone which smiles with every trigger pull.

hso
October 15, 2013, 11:40 PM
Sounds like you found out after the deal what they might be worth (might be since we know internet prices aren't always the going local rate) and that the seller was looking for a good home for them instead of letting family ignore or neglect them.

If he didn't need the money and you didn't know how good a deal you were making until after the deal was done I don't see any ethical quandary.

conrad427
October 16, 2013, 12:02 AM
I am very jealous. I went .22 shopping today and did not have much luck. Oh, sure, I went home with a Henry lever gun but that wasn't really what I wanted. I grew up with Mossberg bolts, Winchester levers and pumps, Marlin bolts and Remingtons. I LOVE old .22s.

As far as the other stuff, willing buyer, willing seller. What else is there to talk about?

tubeshooter
October 16, 2013, 08:38 AM
Very nice score. Congratulations!

I've come across a couple of good deals in my day, but nothing quite that good. Just the same, I can be happy with my deals and be happy for you with yours. The Marlin 39 alone was worth $400, I would say - even if it needed a good cleaning.

conrad427
October 16, 2013, 12:04 PM
This might be an under investigated problem. Senior citizens taking advantage of other senior citizens? I smell a 60 minutes investigation coming on!:D

DAdams
October 16, 2013, 12:54 PM
With 70 million Baby Boomers out there it bodes well for the young gun buyer. Just make sure you take pity on me and offer me twice the market price when my collection goes on the market. ;)

Geno
October 16, 2013, 12:59 PM
Those are some nice looking firearms. Thanks for sharing the story, and the pictures.

Geno

Bullet Bob
October 16, 2013, 02:00 PM
Could that Remington be a "Matchmaster", instead of a "Matchmaker"?

tommy.duncan
October 16, 2013, 02:31 PM
Good score!!
I have wanted a Marlin 39 for a while. My scoutmaster had one and it was a blast to shoot.

Claude Clay
October 16, 2013, 02:43 PM
you have almost 3000 posts....you know the difference between a good deal and knowingly taking advantage of another's lack of knowledge -- you did it anyways.

better had he outright gifted them to you
you call it horse trading, i see it as the value you put on your integrity.

jrdolall
October 16, 2013, 02:54 PM
Just love the guys complaining that you lost your integrity by paying what you did. I bet when they go in the grocery store and see bread on sale 2 for $2 they always give the cashier an extra couple to make theme feel good about themselves.

I would feel great about getting these 4 guns at a fair and reasonable price. Look at the original retail prices combined and I bet you paid more than that total and these guns are OLD. You didn't know if they even worked! If none of them were in serviceable condition then these guys could complain about the old geezer taking advantage of you.

Ever know anyone that simply must complain? I think we have found a couple.

19-3Ben
October 16, 2013, 03:12 PM
I can't believe it. Since we're already up to post 36 and nobody has said it yet, I will take on the yolk of being the obligatory wise-guy.

Since you are obviously a bad person for making an offer that was readily accepted as a free act and deed, and you need to ease your conscience, I'll pay you $450 for that lot of rifles. PM me for my FFL's info.

Seriously though, awesome score. Don't let the guys bust your stones about doing anything wrong.

johnandersonoutdoors
October 16, 2013, 03:16 PM
Claude Clay,

Because the number of posts someone has on the High Road correlates to their knowledge of old 22 caliber rifles?

I think I know quite a bit about American history but have never posted anything, anywhere on the subject. I have about 100 posts on THR, does that mean I just got started in firearms? No, I have been using guns for 20 years. But I have never seen any of the guns the op was discussing.

I think you get the point. The number of posts means nothing. I will leave it at that because it wouldn't be high road to point out what your behavior shows.

Claude Clay
October 16, 2013, 03:26 PM
my thought regarding post count was -- this is the high road .
its a mind set more than knowledge of a specific item.

but regards worth, hard to say one has no idea of value when you can find the answer on any smart phone or the millionaires computer in under 3 minutes.
those saying it makes up for getting shafted on other deals in the past -- grow up
the person trading with you today has no nothing to do with your past.

if the buyer of this fabulous deal vows to pass them along at the same great price at a later date...that might mean something.

and since when is remarking upon something equate to complaining... go subjugate on someone else

skidooman603
October 16, 2013, 03:44 PM
You did fantastic! There is a difference between taking advantage of some poor old widow and just hitting a honey hole..You just hit a honey hole. Lot's of jealous people in the world...

johnandersonoutdoors
October 16, 2013, 03:48 PM
No Claude, you were not just remarking. You were passing judgment on the op's integrity for some strange reason. Maybe you should "go pass judgment on someone else" to you use your words.

The seller was a willing participant in the deal. He was not forced, which makes your comments completely ridiculous. I am sorry for having to point that out.

CraigC
October 16, 2013, 04:03 PM
I don't know why but I salivate at the idea of that model 24 and a pallet of .22Short ammo!!! :D

you call it horse trading, i see it as the value you put on your integrity.
So, you're supposed to pay more than someone asks just to protect them from themselves??? How quaint. Some people have some really strange ideas about right and wrong as it pertains to the free market.

NORA
October 16, 2013, 05:38 PM
I don't know where anyone gets off passing judgement on another person. Both the parties in this transaction were old enough to vote. Nice buy and I'm sure the gentleman you purchased them from is happy also! FRJ

REWTEX
October 16, 2013, 06:03 PM
As you can see I don't have a very high post count either, so take this as you will. I am not passing judgement on anyone but I would have made sure that the seller knew that they were considerably more valuable. I would rather walk away with less money in my pocket feeling OK with all aspects of the deal. Personally I would have posted about my great new 22s but left out bragging about the price that I paid.

jrdolall
October 16, 2013, 06:25 PM
To the OP.

Please edit your post to reflect that you paid $3759.99 for each gun. Maybe that will make some people feel better about you as a person.

conrad427
October 16, 2013, 06:35 PM
I am not sure the big outfits make a neat .22 anymore. CZ quit the 452, Winchester quit the, well everything, Mossberg bolts were great, and according to my search Marlin does not make a bolt action with a tube magazine. Remington supposedly still makes a couple of neat .22s but I have never seen one at a store. I must not be the only one that feels this way as I never see any good .22s on the used racks either. I'm still jealous.

Utter nonsense about fleecing the other guy.
I got a chuckle out the guy who suggested paying more than the asking price for bread.

DAdams
October 16, 2013, 07:06 PM
Matchmaster it is. Spell check needed spell check. Auto spelling comes up with its own ideas sometimes.

In the interim I'm lining up my latest deal. I found a mint 58 Thunderbird in a barn a few miles back up in the hills. The house has no internet and the elderly woman is on her deathbed. I'm thinking $1995 would be a reasonable offer.

The next post you may see out of me might be some revolvers in another thread. I'm going out on another fleecing mission later this week. My goal? Buy low sell high.

DAdams
October 16, 2013, 07:17 PM
Here are a couple more pictures. Actually this is how it went down I paid $400 for the Scout (I know, I overpaid) and the other three were thrown in for free. Here is one of the freebies.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m22/dadams111/Long%20Guns/image_zps456c6bff.jpg (http://s100.photobucket.com/user/dadams111/media/Long%20Guns/image_zps456c6bff.jpg.html)

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m22/dadams111/Long%20Guns/image_zpsc84dcd81.jpg (http://s100.photobucket.com/user/dadams111/media/Long%20Guns/image_zpsc84dcd81.jpg.html)

Here is the other one thrown in.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m22/dadams111/Long%20Guns/image_zpsc103710f.jpg (http://s100.photobucket.com/user/dadams111/media/Long%20Guns/image_zpsc103710f.jpg.html)

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m22/dadams111/Long%20Guns/image_zps614cfc3d.jpg (http://s100.photobucket.com/user/dadams111/media/Long%20Guns/image_zps614cfc3d.jpg.html)

ECVMatt
October 16, 2013, 08:12 PM
WOW! Those are great rifles!

JohnBT
October 16, 2013, 08:19 PM
The most amazing part of this story, to me, is that the Mountie still has it's round sight hood.

Not too long ago there was a flurry of activity on line when Numrich got a bunch of round Marlin sight hoods. I got one for my '63 Mountie, having lost the original in '64 or so. The part number was 1151450 and the cost was $4.40. Don't bother looking, they're out.

The flurry of activity was folks like me jumping to get one or two, and an amazing number that showed up around the net for sale for $30 or so and sold while Numrich still had the $4.40 ones.

I wasn't the only one that took one off and set it aside for later. And lost it. I'd been keeping an eye out for one for 40 years, and you happen to luck into one with the hood still on it.

paul s
October 16, 2013, 08:28 PM
The Remington 513 is a sporter model, rare gun! Last 513 sporter I sold went for $600 + nice score.

bikemutt
October 16, 2013, 08:36 PM
Matchmaster it is. Spell check needed spell check. Auto spelling comes up with its own ideas sometimes.

In the interim I'm lining up my latest deal. I found a mint 58 Thunderbird in a barn a few miles back up in the hills. The house has no internet and the elderly woman is on her deathbed. I'm thinking $1995 would be a reasonable offer.

The next post you may see out of me might be some revolvers in another thread. I'm going out on another fleecing mission later this week. My goal? Buy low sell high.
With your success rate I'm cancelling my SD pheasant hunt and going with you, I've always wanted a 58 tbird :)

Gordon
October 16, 2013, 08:39 PM
Yes I never saw a 513 T with a checkered stock but maybe. It should be marked with the model on the left of barrel 513 t or 513 s if sporter. I've handled 513 s Sporters and they did not have a target stock like that one does.But maybe! Judging from the OEM butt plate the gun is all original.
FWIW non gun enthusiasts unless they are widows or in need, don't get searching for somebodies idea of what they should sell for! They get lowballed and they take it or do some reasearch!

DAdams
October 16, 2013, 09:22 PM
Gordon the SN is 839XX. The left side of the barrel shows 513-T.
On the right side there is a "K" and a couple other marks.
When I took possession of it it was equipped with a Straight Shooter Standard leather sling with nice brass hardware with scripted logo Straight Shooter.
The forward sling attachment plate has five IIRC locating holes.
I take this to be used for fine tuning the sling for offhand shooting?
I'll take and post some pics of the makers marks.

conrad427
October 16, 2013, 11:33 PM
Yes, yes more pictures please.
Wood and blued steel is good for the soul. Its like standing out in a rain shower after months of drought.

Zeke/PA
October 17, 2013, 08:14 AM
Honestly, not to sound rude, but you should have offered the old feller more than $400, like the $500 you had on you. Taking advantage of seniors is kind of a lousy thing to do, considering just the Marlin 39 is a $500 rifle alone. I'm all for getting a good deal, but bragging about raking a senior citizen over the coals on THR isnt commendable at all.:fire: There is a line between scoring a good deal and taking advantage of someone. I think your now in that latter category. Your only into these rifles for about 25% of their value, would it have been that terrible to hand him an extra $100? Seriously?:banghead:
The local Gun Shops take advantage of "seniors" , mainly me ,all the time.
Nuff said!

Molasses
October 17, 2013, 11:16 AM
Gordon the SN is 839XX. The left side of the barrel shows 513-T.
On the right side there is a "K" and a couple other marks.
When I took possession of it it was equipped with a Straight Shooter Standard leather sling with nice brass hardware with scripted logo Straight Shooter.
The forward sling attachment plate has five IIRC locating holes.
I take this to be used for fine tuning the sling for offhand shooting?
I'll take and post some pics of the makers marks.

Weird. I'll just attach a quick pic I took from a similar angle to one of yours, plus one of mine's model designation to illustrate why there's ongoing confusion over the model from folks just seeing your photos so far.

Gordon
October 17, 2013, 03:08 PM
Notice Molases that the fore end is shorter and the stock over all is slimmer with a lower comb than on your Sporter. Also he has the target plate with multiple forward sling positions like 513 T have. The checkering pattern looks original Remington like your sporter tho.....

hso
October 17, 2013, 06:06 PM
This has become as much about criticism and defense of the deal itself and isn't going anywhere good.

If you enjoyed reading about "Scored Four Classic 22s" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!