One Cleaner for All Firearms?

PDA

meatcreeper
October 16, 2013, 04:44 PM
I am using Safariland Break Free CLP to clean my AR. It says it is a Cleaner Lubricant and Preservative. It was recommended to me by a gun dealer.

I'd like to know if I can use this same product on my handguns, rifles, and shotguns. I was using a nitro solvent and gun oil solution. Also if you are using this product or something similar as a one stop solution, let me know.

Thanks,

MC

If you enjoyed reading about "One Cleaner for All Firearms?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Outlaw Man
October 16, 2013, 05:15 PM
One cleaner to find them....

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

CLP is fine for pretty much anything, though I have heard of it being hard on bluing. I have always used other cleaners on my blued guns, just to be safe, so I don't know if there's any truth to it.

rcmodel
October 16, 2013, 08:25 PM
CLP = Cleans, Lubes, Protects.

It does none of those things as well as dedicated bore cleaners, lubes, and rust preventivies.

It was invented during the Vietnam war as a one size fits all CLP for GI's in the field.

It will do the job on any firearm.

Just not as well as specialty bore cleaners, lubes, and rust preventatives.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=10700/guntechdetail/Gun_Cleaning_Clinic__Knowing_the_Limits_of_Rust_Preventatives

rc

justice06rr
October 16, 2013, 08:58 PM
I would also recommend using a different oil to lube your firearms. I use CLP to clean my rifles, pistols, and shotgun, but I use Hoppes9 gun oil to lube them.

JRWhit
October 16, 2013, 09:05 PM
I've developed a very strong liking for Hornady One Shot. Cleans well with no left overs. Stays cleaner when shooting. Also use em on my reloading dies.

IROCZ
October 17, 2013, 02:13 AM
I use Ballistol for almost everything now. Corrosive (with water) non corrosive, black powder (also with water), AR's, M1's...everything. It is non carcinogenic, easy on the hands and does not damage wood or leather. It mixes with water and seems to stay put on the safe dwellers. I use the specialty products, like Sweets 7.62 for bad copper problems but that is the exception. All my general cleaning activities get Ballistol. It works very well for me. YMMV.

Arkansas Paul
October 17, 2013, 02:18 AM
I have dedicated solvents, lubes and rust preventatives but if I could only have one product it would be Ballistol.

herrwalther
October 17, 2013, 06:45 PM
I use G96 or Breakfree CLP (or a bottle of Mil CLP that I acquired) for all firearms cleaning. I use a few drops of Hoppes lubricating oil to wet a dry slide or action.

targetshooter22
October 18, 2013, 03:12 PM
I'm another ballistol user. 7:1 water to ballistol for cleaning, straight ballistol for lubing. Works quite well in my guns.

There are some pretty high tech lubes out there, I think more for the "tactical" arms and use in that application. Never tried those, never had a need.

armsmaster270
October 18, 2013, 04:16 PM
I was a fanatical Breakfree CLP user until I found Froglube. You have to follow directions though by applying then heating to get the lube into the pores when wiping off.

ApacheCoTodd
October 22, 2013, 12:23 AM
G96
Brake cleaner
Acetone/ATF

If you enjoyed reading about "One Cleaner for All Firearms?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!