Need some guidance/advice on a Colt Trooper

PDA

Twiki357
October 16, 2013, 07:43 PM
I stopped by my local pawn shop today. For $299, they have a Colt Trooper (357 Mag) 4Ē bbl with well-worn bluing, a generous rating of probably only about 40%, and the ugliest grips Iíve ever seen. Mechanically, it seems in excellent condition. Bore, cylinder chambers are almost pristine, tight lock up, wide target (to use S&W terminology) hammer and trigger, and a smooth as butter trigger pull. In short, it could be categorized as carried by a LEO for at least 10/15+ years, but seldom fired.

I donít know much about Colt revolvers other than that every time I see one I like, it cost way more than Iím interested in paying. The only Colt Iíve ever even handled until today is a Frontier Scout that I bought back in the late 1950ís.

Any advice or recommendations on verifying condition and reasonable price would be greatly appreciated.

If you enjoyed reading about "Need some guidance/advice on a Colt Trooper" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
October 16, 2013, 07:48 PM
See the Revolver Check-Out sticky in the revolver forum.
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=695644

$300 seems high to me for a 40% gun.
I'd offer $250 - 275, or $299 with no sales tax, and walk away if they don't take it.

But Old Colt prices are off the charts anymore.
So what do I know.

I'm still buying S&W & Colts in like new condition for about that.
You just have to wait for somebody to die and go to the estate sales.

rc

Queen_of_Thunder
October 16, 2013, 07:55 PM
If you need a truck gun and don't care if it gets bounced around then go for it if its mechanically sound.

If you can have a gunsmith check it out for you before buying it do so. This process has saved me from many mistakes.

clang
October 21, 2013, 02:29 PM
If it is an original Trooper and not a Mark III, I would be all over that gun.

ColtPythonElite
October 21, 2013, 08:31 PM
I wouldn't give more than $150 for a gun as described.

If you enjoyed reading about "Need some guidance/advice on a Colt Trooper" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!