Sig suppressors?

PDA

plodder
October 17, 2013, 02:13 PM
I am preparing to take the suppressor step for my .223 ARs. I am an utter beginner in this but the past year's announcement by Sig marketing suppressors caught my attention. Other than the obligatory positive reviews by the Gun Magazines & Trade publications I have only read some snarky comments by owners of other brands about how ugly the Sig cans are.

Knowing that I am likely to get about 20 different opinions from 10 people, I would like to know if any of you esteemed THRers have actual experience with a Sig can on a .223/5.56 AR and can attest to it's effectiveness or deficiencies compared to other leading brands?

If you enjoyed reading about "Sig suppressors?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rjrivero
October 17, 2013, 02:48 PM
I have no experience with Sig Suppressors. They are ugly, IMVHO. Here's the announcement with you tube vid from American Rifleman earlier this year.

http://www.americanrifleman.org/blogs/sig-enters-suppressor-market/

Akita1
October 17, 2013, 08:36 PM
Plodder - I've had little experience with SIG suppressors but have a few of their firearms, and if they make cans as well as their firearms...

I've been mostly using AAC suppressors. AAC makes dedicated toothed flash hiders and muzzle brakes that allow you to screw their cans on and off easily. No adapters, thread pitch adjustments, etc. I bought the AAC 7.62 SDN for my .300 blackout, then bought and installed AAC flash hiders on my 6.8mm and .223 ARs so I can use that one suppressor for all three rifles.

http://www.advanced-armament.com

Don't forget that unless your'e shooting subsonic ammo, the rifle crack of your .223 is not suppressed - it still breaks the sound barrier. The suppressor takes the noise down from the powder ignition/gases only. It will still reduce recoil though.

I also have a Gemtech Alpine for my .22s but that's more for the kids to shoot varmints (and maybe a coon or two for me in the backyard with subs).

Hope this helps.

RAINS
October 17, 2013, 09:05 PM
nahhhh. Pick a can from someone that's been making them for years.

Ironman
October 20, 2013, 06:50 AM
I would steer clear. Its just a cheap design to get into the suppressor market.

I own 12 suppressors and have been shooting them and others since 2006. Right now the king 5.56mm can is the SWR Specwar 556. And the price that Silencershop has on it is CRAZY! $550 IIRC. I paid $1000 for my AAC M42000 and its old tech now.

plodder
October 20, 2013, 07:02 PM
Thanks all; good info.

If you enjoyed reading about "Sig suppressors?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!