R9 deep concealment pistol?

PDA

PabloJ
October 17, 2013, 07:13 PM
I foolishly passed on NIB one few years ago for $850.
Well, I found another one of these in excellent condition with four magazines at favorable price. Is there something I should be aware besides stout recoil and are there any reasons besides higher price that should make me not want one. The R9 is to pocket pistol what Freedom Arms is to SA hunting revolver, yes? Are these reliable with different ammo types including feeding challenged JHPs like Speer Gold Dot? Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "R9 deep concealment pistol?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JohnBT
October 17, 2013, 08:39 PM
Gold Dots are one of the preferred ammos for the R9, if not the favorite.

www.acbsystems.com/boards/rohrbaugh/basefile/ammo.htm

I bought one in the summer of 2007 and have carried it every day since. I haven't found an ammo it doesn't like. The tag said "200 rounds fired", but it looked like new. I think it was $899.

You do have to change the recoil spring every 250 rounds or whatever they're advising this year. The last ones I bought were $4.95 and you don't really want to shoot more than a box at a time anyway. I shot 101 rounds the first time out with mine and learned my lesson.

Of all the people who have shot mine over the years, the two who were completely unaffected by the recoil were a skinny 14-year-old young man and a married woman with 10- and 12-year-olds.

C0untZer0
October 17, 2013, 09:27 PM
My review:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=692288

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=190064&stc=1&d=1382060118

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=190065&stc=1&d=1382060125

C0untZer0
October 17, 2013, 09:44 PM
About a year ago I noticed that after 15 or 20 minutes of shooting offhand, my arms were tired, and I was getting tremors. So basically after 20 minutes of shooting I was done. Every morning I did pushups, situps, leglifts and curls with a 30 lb dumbells. I also ran and did cycling so I was surprised that I was getting fatigue in my arms.

So I started doing exercises that focused on forearm and grip strength.

I have a routine now that I do to keep muscle mass in my shoulders and forearms, as well as keep my grip strong, and it has made a huge difference in keeping a steady sight picture, and being able to shoot better for extended range sessions.

I think as a side benefit, I'm able to shoot the Rohrbaugh R9 without any problems with recoil:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showpost.php?p=8787137&postcount=31
http://www.thehighroad.org/showpost.php?p=8787169&postcount=32

PabloJ
October 18, 2013, 10:21 AM
Gold Dots are one of the preferred ammos for the R9, if not the favorite.

www.acbsystems.com/boards/rohrbaugh/basefile/ammo.htm

I bought one in the summer of 2007 and have carried it every day since. I haven't found an ammo it doesn't like. The tag said "200 rounds fired", but it looked like new. I think it was $899.

You do have to change the recoil spring every 250 rounds or whatever they're advising this year. The last ones I bought were $4.95 and you don't really want to shoot more than a box at a time anyway. I shot 101 rounds the first time out with mine and learned my lesson.

Of all the people who have shot mine over the years, the two who were completely unaffected by the recoil were a skinny 14-year-old young man and a married woman with 10- and 12-year-olds.
Pistol + four magazines is $899. I think that is pretty reasonable deal.

JohnBT
October 19, 2013, 10:34 AM
Heck yes, and extra mags are $34.95.

Fwiw, I'm 63 and retired and still have enough hand strength to one-hand a medium belt sander - for short periods anyway - running a 36-grit ceramic belt. Doing the overhead stuff while hanging off a ladder is the real test.

I'm supposed to be putting the second coat of primer on it today, but it's raining. It's waited 97 years for a total redo, it'll keep. :) Most of the original paint was removed in '86, this is just the newer stuff that was damaged by the tin roof failure. That's a copper drip edge peeking over. We've just recently finished the hand lapped standing seam roof with built-in gutters. Anyway, I need a vacation.

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj80/JohnBT3/018a_zps6bcc5f6d.jpg

sgt127
October 19, 2013, 12:55 PM
I bought one, slightly used and fresh back from a factory rebuild. The slide had been replaced as it was an early gun. The fit, finish and overall pride of ownership made it a thing of beauty.

I could not run one mag through it without a jam. Different mags, a dozen different kinda of ammo from ball to Silvertip to Gold dot. 115 gr-147. Two new recoil springs and a call to one of the owners (great guys).

I'll bet I spent close to $200 bucks in premium ammo trying to get that gun to run. I wanted it to work. If it would have run ball I would have been ecstatic.

To have a used gun "re warrantied" to a new owner is about $150 bucks. I gave up. Between that and the shipping and the cot of ammo, it was a black hole for me.

Lots of people own them, lots of people love them. I wish I could have got it to work, I'll probably try another one somewhere down the road. But, I'll buy it new to get the full warranty.

jimbo555
October 19, 2013, 03:46 PM
I handled one. Didn't care for the sights,the lack of a slide stop or the euro mag release.

C0untZer0
October 21, 2013, 03:45 PM
Didn't care for the sights, the lack of a slide stop or the euro mag release

Just FYI, those aren't design oversights, the gun is designed with no sharp protrusions - nothing to snag on clothing.

jimbo555
October 21, 2013, 04:16 PM
It is a nicely made and engineered pistol, just not for me.

PabloJ
October 21, 2013, 05:37 PM
I bought one, slightly used and fresh back from a factory rebuild. The slide had been replaced as it was an early gun. The fit, finish and overall pride of ownership made it a thing of beauty.

I could not run one mag through it without a jam. Different mags, a dozen different kinda of ammo from ball to Silvertip to Gold dot. 115 gr-147. Two new recoil springs and a call to one of the owners (great guys).

I'll bet I spent close to $200 bucks in premium ammo trying to get that gun to run. I wanted it to work. If it would have run ball I would have been ecstatic.

To have a used gun "re warrantied" to a new owner is about $150 bucks. I gave up. Between that and the shipping and the cot of ammo, it was a black hole for me.

Lots of people own them, lots of people love them. I wish I could have got it to work, I'll probably try another one somewhere down the road. But, I'll buy it new to get the full warranty.
Was your pistol in 42xx number range?

PabloJ
October 23, 2013, 11:05 AM
The gun works flawlessly with Federal 124gr HST HPs. It's a keeper.

C0untZer0
October 23, 2013, 05:05 PM
And I was hoping that I wouldn't have to practice with Gold Dots. I wasn't disappointed as my R9 seems to love 124 and 147gr Lawman TMJs

sgt127
October 23, 2013, 10:31 PM
Was your pistol in 42xx number range?

I'm sorry, I don't remember. It had the old frame and the new address on the slide. It was a pretty early frame.

PabloJ
October 24, 2013, 07:52 AM
I got very favorable trade in value on another gun I did not need so the urge to buy was irresistible at that point. Yes that is serial number range of what I bought. I do not know enough to tell difference of old vs. new frame. The gun functions w/o hiccups. I needed something small and very reliable because when I will need a gun I will really need a gun. The chances of the gun being used in defensive situations are much better then average.

C0untZer0
October 24, 2013, 10:21 AM
Because people on the Rohrbaugh forum reported that they had the best success with 124gr Gold Dots - or vice versa - almost no one reported having problems with the 124gr Gold Dots, and they seemed to be the most trouble free, I initially shot 124gr Gold Dots through the R9. I think the first 150 were 124gr Gold Dots, close to 200 trouble-free through my R9 over-all.

If people believe in a "break-in" period, I would recommend using 124gr Gold Dots for the first 200 rounds and then try other ammo if you want.

The 150 flawless rounds of Gold Dots gave me confidence that the R9 was working properly, when I ran into fried egg primers and failure to ignite with 147gr bonded Golden Sabre, I switched back to Gold Dots and Ranger "T" and had no problems so I just chalked that up to the ammo not liking the gun or vice versa.

DAdams
October 26, 2013, 12:20 AM
If you want real deep, get a Seecamp 380 otherwise there are now a few nines that will go deep.

C0untZer0
October 27, 2013, 12:11 AM
My R9 goes into and comes out of regular jeans front pocket easily, and it's not so heavy that it weighs my pocket down.

Rohrbaugh R9
Caliber: 9mm
Barrel: 2.9 in
Length: 5.2 in
Height: 4.0 in
Width: .90 in
Weight: 13.5 oz
Capacity: 6+1 Rounds

If you enjoyed reading about "R9 deep concealment pistol?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!