EFK Fire Dragon 1911 barrel

PDA

kyew
October 17, 2013, 07:15 PM
I had a customer bring me a 1911 Gold Cup that he wanted a (supposedly) match grade barrel fitted for. It's an EFK Fire Dragon (or at least that's what the packaging says) and there are some definite issues with it.

First, the barrel bushing is loose on the barrel. How can you fit it if there's not enough metal to "fit"? Rhetorical question. ;)

Second, the hood is short of the standard .314 length. Again, it's already too short to fit, although it works/functions.

Third, the locking lugs are about half the depth of the original barrel's lugs. This is what worries me the most. I've fired it after fitting it, and it functions fine. But for how long, I wonder?

It appears to be a "drop-in fit" barrel, which doesn't suggest match grade to me in the least. The locking lugs are scary though. I'm not entirely certain that the barrel is "new"; the guy that brought the gun and barrel to me is known as a tinkerer who doesn't always tell you that he's tinkered when he brings you something to fix. If, for some reason, he has filed the lugs down, what would be an acceptable depth?

I'm at the point right now of telling him that he needs to get me another barrel to fit. There's no way I can justify putting that barrel into a Gold Cup with it being as loose as it is. I would if he insists (as long as it's safe), but I'd feel like I was putting a pewter Yugo hood ornament on a Jaguar...

If you enjoyed reading about "EFK Fire Dragon 1911 barrel" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
tuj
October 19, 2013, 07:35 AM
Get a Kart NM barrel. Those are some of the best.

smalls
October 19, 2013, 08:49 AM
Did you bring up the shortcomings of the new barrel to your customer before fitting it?

If you enjoyed reading about "EFK Fire Dragon 1911 barrel" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!