Defensive Knives: A survey

PDA

Sam Cade
October 18, 2013, 04:50 PM
Just a quick survey.

How many of us are carrying a knife exclusively for usage as a weapon?

For those of us who do carry what are the specifics?

If you enjoyed reading about "Defensive Knives: A survey" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sam1911
October 18, 2013, 04:59 PM
Aww, crap. You said "exclusively." I guess I can't claim that. I usually have two, though, and rarely use one of them for utility purposes, so "sort of?"

bikerdoc
October 18, 2013, 05:00 PM
I carry a Spyderco Endura in my back pocket as a dedicated S/D knife. Scary sharp and I have a bunch of training.
For everyday tasks I carry a Native and and an old Schrade.

PistolPete45
October 18, 2013, 05:08 PM
I recently purchased a rescue folder . Living in NC the letter of the law is .. Me being a Concealed Handgun permit holder Can carry as many pistols as I want but I can not carry anything else ( Weapon ) concealed.. A pocket knife is concealed. >> wearing a knife openly can be charged with going armed to the terror of the public. So I have a rescue knife seat belt cutter /glass breaker. IF a hard head cop tries to make a case of that one .. twelve jurors can look at my rescue knife >> Conciled carry permit holder spotless record . Choose what you carry with a court case in the back of your mind . avoid things that will make a jury think What did he have thing that with him for ??? Why a covert op's knife/ fighter ???

SuedePflow
October 18, 2013, 05:09 PM
I carry a knife everyday, but for daily tasks. I could use it in a self defense situation if it were my best/only option, but I don't have any training and don't purposely carry it as a weapon.

Lone Star
October 18, 2013, 05:11 PM
In town, I carry either one of the three Gerber Applegate-Fairbairn folders or a Benchmade 710. The 710 often gets the nod, because it looks less like a dedicated weapon. The A-F is probably legal, but I'd rather not argue it with a cop, not that any has ever asked about the discreet black Cordura sheath on my belt.

I also have Remington 1306 and Puma folders.

My Swiss Army knife does the routine knife tasks. The belt folder is used rarely for larger tasks, but is there mainly to hurt people and vicious dogs.

I have Spyderco Endura and a Kershaw assisted opening folder in a couple of bookcases near my front door, in case I can't reach a gun if someone forces their way in. Sometimes, I answer the door with the knife open, but out of sight. Also use a Buck Model 105 Pathfinder in that role. (Fixed blade.)

In the kitchen, a Wusthof Trident utility knife with six-inch blade is my "go to" knife if I'm trapped in there.

I have Applgate's, "Kill or Get Killed" as a usege guide for knife deployment.

allaroundhunter
October 18, 2013, 06:33 PM
I carry two knives. A CRKT and a ZT. The ZT stays on my weak side, and while it isn't 'exclusively' a SD knife, it is rarely used for daily applications. It's positioning on my weak side is also to serve a defensive/weapon retention purpose.

Shanghai McCoy
October 18, 2013, 06:39 PM
I carry two knives on a daily basis. Both are carried as Tools but they would be better than nothing to defend myself with...

Sam Cade
October 18, 2013, 06:45 PM
I usually have two, though, and rarely use one of them for utility purposes, so "sort of?"

Sam-to?

herrwalther
October 18, 2013, 07:49 PM
I am with Sam1911 on this one. I carry a folding pocket knife everyday. Great little utility knife and would use it in a last ditch self defense situation. After my carry weapon and backup if I put it on that day. I also carry two multi tools that have knives, a Leatherman and credit card sized tool, but don't count them toward my knife count.

jeepnik
October 18, 2013, 08:00 PM
None of my knives are weapons. They are all tools. Now, there's no saying you can't use a tool for more than one job.

Heck, given my choice of all the tools on my truck to use as a weapon, I'd take my Stanley Demolition tool. Longer reach, and if you are on the receiving end, you wouldn't even have to think about stopping what you are doing, you'd just stop.

rcmodel
October 18, 2013, 08:11 PM
None of my knives are weapons. They are all tools. Now, there's no saying you can't use a tool for more than one job.This!

Exactly!!

So, I didn't vote!

rc

Deep Fried
October 18, 2013, 08:38 PM
Being under 21, my best option on my person other than a handgun is usually my favorite tool, the knife.

Sam1911
October 18, 2013, 09:23 PM
Sam-to?:) How did you guess? Really love that little thing!

Sam Cade
October 18, 2013, 09:31 PM
:) How did you guess? Really love that little thing!

Its a smart, attractive, little knife.

hso
October 18, 2013, 11:49 PM
I carry a tool that can be used as a weapon and because I carry more than one I don't carry a dedicated knife for the purpose.

JohnKSa
October 19, 2013, 12:09 AM
...because I carry more than one I don't carry a dedicated knife for the purpose.Interesting perspective. Mine is that because I carry more than one knife, I can easily pick ones that serve different purposes. On the other hand, were I to carry only one, it might be difficult to find a single knife that does everything.

alsask
October 19, 2013, 12:22 AM
Where I live it is against the law to carry a "weapon" but no law against carring a knife, of any length.

That is the trick question LEO's ask. Why do you have the knife? Because you use it for........ whatever. If you say for self defence you might have problem.

90% of the time I have a knife on me, and always one in the vehicle. I have never carried one purposely for self defence though.

CA Raider
October 19, 2013, 12:36 AM
i often carry a knife - that will work as both a survival tool and a good defensive weapon. i never insist on carrying it, esp. in public places where it might be a problem. I have never had to use a blade for defense, and really hope that doesn't happen - because once you draw blood on someone the fight could get very intense. they might back off, but then again they might also become enraged.

CA R

hso
October 19, 2013, 09:44 AM
JohnKSa,

I'm a little round guy and it isn't comfortable anymore for me to appendix carry a knife. My need to cut myself free from a seatbelt is more probable than needing to use a knife defensively so I carry so that I can reach a knife with either hand. Works for self rescue and happens to work defensively.

DT Guy
October 19, 2013, 10:54 AM
Until Illinois' CCW permits start rolling out, I've been generally restricted to a knife as a primary defensive arm.

Typically a Spydie Military or MT Socom, carried tip-up right pocket.

Larry

mdauben
October 21, 2013, 11:23 AM
I normally carry a medium sized one-hand-opening lock blade like the Spyderco Delica. I carry it for utility purposes but if pressed I would be able to use it as a weapon.

Mikhail Weiss
October 21, 2013, 01:04 PM
Just a quick survey.

How many of us are carrying a knife exclusively for usage as a weapon?

For those of us who do carry what are the specifics?

I carry a pocketknife all the time, but primarily as a cutting, hole-poking tool. Right now, it's a Spyderco Tenacious, partially serrated.

I usually also carry another knife, sometimes a dinky Swiss Army knife, sometimes a Schrade Old Timer 2-blade knife, sometimes a Benchmade Emerson CQ7 knockoff, sometimes a 3" Cold Steel Voyager, sometimes a 4" Cold Steel Voyager.

jpruitt
October 21, 2013, 01:21 PM
I do have a couple of knives that, when I do carry them, it is strictly for self-defense (an Ontario RAT 1 and a SOG FF-10 Salute). I have a couple others that are primarily working knives that could be used fairly well for self defense (and were in fact bought with that in mind; a Kershaw Salvo and a Gerber Obsidian). And I have one that is pretty much just a tool, wouldn't be too good as a weapon (a Leatherman Skeletool CX). Which one I carry depends on where I am going and what I am doing.

Bartholomew Roberts
October 21, 2013, 08:47 PM
Originally, I thought of a pocket knife as a potential defensive weapon. As I became more informed on what that might actually mean, I decided I didn't want to spend the necessary time to become proficient with a knife as a weapon, so now it is mostly a camping tool/package opener/kitchen tool.

Sam Cade
October 21, 2013, 11:10 PM
A bit of background:

The idea for this thread came while I was wandering around Wal-Mart the other day and spied a row of these push daggers hanging in blister packs in the sporting goods section.
http://images.knifecenter.com/thumb/1500x1500/knifecenter/blackhawk/images/15pd00bk.jpg

I was a bit surprised to see such a thing in a big box store. When I asked the counter lady if the daggers were selling well she replied that they were selling 15-20 of them a week. This is in a town of around 14,000.

mr.trooper
October 22, 2013, 11:38 AM
I dont know... there are a lot of places in modern life that are both crowded but still potentially dangerous. A knife has an advantage in that situation IMO

waterhouse
October 22, 2013, 04:47 PM
Waved emerson in my support side pocket, primarily for weapon retention.

exospex
October 23, 2013, 08:46 AM
I've never had to use a knife for defensive purposes. This Kershaw Packrat lives in my pocket. As you can see by its cleanliness it sees its fair share of tasks.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/10/23/e5ymydeq.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/10/23/ehagytab.jpg

mdauben
October 23, 2013, 11:19 AM
The idea for this thread came while I was wandering around Wal-Mart the other day and spied a row of these push daggers hanging in blister packs in the sporting goods section.
Looks like I need to visit Walmart this week. Although they are generally illegal to carry, I'm still a big fan of push daggers.

Sam Cade
October 23, 2013, 08:14 PM
Looks like I need to visit Walmart this week.

$25. Should be hanging on the rack with all of the other Blackhawk branded stuff in sporting goods.

The next town over also had them.

Walkalong
October 25, 2013, 07:23 PM
Not exclusively. I do have knives here and there though.

tubeshooter
October 25, 2013, 07:52 PM
I have never carried a knife specifically and expressly as a weapon.

I used to try to make sure my pocket knives that I carried had at least a good 2.5" blade or so, in the unlikely event that it might be pressed into service as a weapon. Nowadays I don't even bother to do that, and routinely carry something more along the lines of a 2" blade. More comfortable to pocket carry and fine for 99% of what I tend to use a knife for in everyday use.

Coyote3855
November 4, 2013, 09:36 AM
I carry a Spyderco Endura cliipped inside my waistband. For cutting chores, I pocket carry a Leatherman Juice S2. So I voted I carry a knife as a weapon although I've never used it as such and hope I never feel the need. The Kahr .380 in my right hand pocket would get first call.

lemaymiami
November 4, 2013, 11:41 AM
Can't answer your poll directly since any blade on my person is there for a variety of tasks.... Since I earn my living on the water, working out of a small skiff, any blade is a primary safety tool (getting tangled up and drowned by your own anchor line, or the retrieve line on a large castnet that's snagged on the bottom in a hard current are two very real possibilities).

What can be said, though, is in an emergency -a blade or other tool (even something improvised) will be at hand, ready to employ if necessary... Although I'm a retired LEO and have had a concealed carry permit for all the years since I retired (1995), I've chosen not to carry any sidearm at all so something improvised or any tool will be the first item in use, if needed. To date that's only occurred on two instances and in neither incident was that tool ever employed. I have not regretted my choice so far but that might change one day. For me it meant going from carrying 24/7 during waking hours for 22 years to a more relaxed life style...

By the way the various blades I have carried are chosen both for their utility and their suitability for the circumstances....

red04montels
November 4, 2013, 01:15 PM
I carry a Smith and Wesson Border Guard 2 with me here in Milwaukee about 60% of the time.

I've had a couple of 'attempted' jumps that I've made it through without any sort of weapon on me, but the security of even a knife makes things a bit better.

MrCleanOK
November 4, 2013, 11:43 PM
I voted "yes", but I don't carry one all the time. I always carry a general use pocket folder. On some occasions in the US I carry a defense-only fixed blade too. When I was in the military, on deployments, I always had one fixed blade on my person and one on my gear any time I was around non-US personnel. Knives that I keep for defense only are kept razor sharp and never used for any other purpose.

Deltaboy
November 7, 2013, 09:37 PM
I carry a variety of Lock backs for such purposes. Case,Kershaw, CRTC and Smith&Wesson. I also carry a variety of 2 and 3 blade pocket knives.

Rockwolf66
November 10, 2013, 09:14 PM
Back when I worked retail in a bad Neighborhood I kept a Stiff Kiss Tanto in my lunchbox to cut my food with. Its probably a good thing that neither the local thugs or the management caught on to what the knife was actually designed to do.

Dirty Bob
November 10, 2013, 10:06 PM
I submitted before seeing the word "exclusively" !

I have carried knives since I was 11 years old, and they all see use as tools. The one I carry now would be a pretty good weapon, and that was part of the reason I chose it, but it's also a useful tool.

BTW, the only time I grabbed a knife to use as a weapon (against a two man mugging team), it was a sliding utility knife. I had just moved, and was opening boxes with it. I dropped it in my pocket on the way out the door with my wife. The incident took place in a stairwell in downtown San Antonio. When the blocking element of the team blocked our path (his partner raced up to block our retreat on the stairs above us), I grabbed the knife in my pocket. I had decided where I was going to cut the man stopping us -- so my wife could escape -- when he saw my intention to resist (though my hand never left the pocket) and stepped aside to let us pass.

And BTW, Sam, while I like the looks of the little knife you posted, I prefer the Cold Steel Safe Keeper III (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Cold-Steel-Safe-Keeper-III-Push-Dagger/19336526?enlargedSearch=true&), which is $30 at Walmart (online). It's a smallish, single-edged push dagger. I've found it surprisingly useful for small tasks around the house, although it looks funny when sharpening a pencil with one. It could be clipped to the belt, or to a seatbelt.

All my best,
Dirty Bob

tarosean
November 11, 2013, 06:25 AM
Me being a Concealed Handgun permit holder Can carry as many pistols as I want but I can not carry anything else ( Weapon ) concealed.. A pocket knife is concealed. >> wearing a knife openly can be charged with going armed to the terror of the public.

WOW and there I thought we (TX) had some jacked up knife laws.

JERRY
November 11, 2013, 06:57 AM
its a seatbelt cutter on duty, its used to clean under my finger nails off duty.

olderguns
November 11, 2013, 07:48 AM
I carry two one is a fully serrated spyderco salt, and then either a sog vulcan or microtech ultratech,
The serrated one became a habit from my days as a deckhand/engineer on the river and now just don,t feel comfortable without it,
I don,t consider any of my knifes weapons except in last ditch worse case effort, but I,m sure a lot of LEO,s would see them differently.

If you enjoyed reading about "Defensive Knives: A survey" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!