Holster for 5:30 to 6 o'clock psition

PDA

mountain_man
October 19, 2013, 06:45 PM
I am thinking about a kydex holster for the above location. Are they comfortable for iwb at that area?

If you enjoyed reading about "Holster for 5:30 to 6 o'clock psition" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sam1911
October 19, 2013, 07:21 PM
Kind of hard to say as there are lots of different kydex holsters. I'm not sure ANY holsters are comfortable that far back.

They're always going to be sitting against your kidneys or your spine.

mountain_man
October 19, 2013, 07:40 PM
I am using a hybrid holster now and it loses retention being that far back since it isnt curved at all. I am looking for something that won't lose retention. I don't like wearing it too much further forward because I hate the feel of having offset weight on by belt. I may need to ad a mag carrier to offset the weight of the gun.

rcmodel
October 19, 2013, 07:58 PM
A gun in the middle or small of the back, or hip bone is bad if you ever fall on it.
It can put you in the hospital.
Or the chiropractors office for months on end.

There is no padding there, except your spine bones!!

If the off-set weight is bothering you?

1. A better, stiffer, wider gun-belt.
2. A balanced load by adding ammo on the off side.
3. Or a belt and suspenders to help hold the weight on your shoulders instead of your hip.

rc

JTQ
October 19, 2013, 08:35 PM
Wearing that far back is "not my thing", but you may want to look at a hybrid with adjustable tension. Most hybrids will give you enough cant adjustment to allow drawing from that far back, while your typical kydex IWB generally won't give you that much cant. I'm not that familiar with all the hybrid styles, but I think many of them just rivet a piece of kydex to a slab of leather with no tension adjustments available.

Some models do offer tension adjustment though.

Tucker "The Answer" (the originator of the design) http://www.tuckergunleather.com/the-answer-iwb/

Comp-Tac's CTAC, MTAC, and Spartan http://www.comp-tac.com/catalog.php?osCsid=darqgjgqm1g4j10u8il8kdgho5

mountain_man
October 19, 2013, 10:18 PM
Well rcmodel I think that you have convinced me to go and get a spare magazine carrier for my off hand hip.

If you enjoyed reading about "Holster for 5:30 to 6 o'clock psition" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!