FEG Hi-Power 9mm (questions/clarifications)

PDA

Critical J
October 19, 2013, 09:07 PM
So, in looking into options concerning affordable double-stack 9mm, it wasn't long before I found the Hi-Power style quite appealing and the old FEG's are particularly attention grabbing, if everything I've read is correct. I know they feel great in my hand, that much is for sure!
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-9gRBpZ5IRPk/ULOQmyZKBDI/AAAAAAAACBY/xBhMU7Nhx3E/s1600/Hipower+002.jpg

I've seen a few other threads on the issue, but none that quite narrowed it down for me; I know there are a handful of different models, but say that I'm looking for the closest, most reliable Hungarian Hi-Power clone to the original single-action Browning, what exact model do I need to be asking for at the gun shop? These guys are all "go big or go home" but I ain't got $1,200 to blow on a pistol being stowed in a hurricane bag...

Some have mentioned Pee-Wee's "Decoding the Hi-Power" or something, but the link seems to be malfunctioning or the blog removed, whatever - that ring any bells?

If you enjoyed reading about "FEG Hi-Power 9mm (questions/clarifications)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
W.E.G.
October 19, 2013, 09:20 PM
The FEG rendition of the Hi-Power is pretty good for the money.
Usually known as the "Hungarian Hi-Power."
Model PJK-9HP
Example at http://www.guntechtips.com/feg/feg.htm

I had one that had a beautiful blue finish.
Downside is a blued finish is more susceptible to damage than the stainless or polymer finish seen on many current-manufacture "real" Hi-Powers these days.

Cosmetically, FEG dropped the ball badly on the execution of the "hog-nose" front end of the slide.
Here is an example (and mine looked even rougher).

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/pistol%20pics/FEGmuzzle_zps42c72868.jpg

There are lots of surplus real Hi-Power re-imports on the market now.
...and speaking of Hi-Power muzzles I got one that I surmise spent some time in service of the French.
(only dropped once)

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/pistol%20pics/Browning%20HiPower/BHPmuzzleding1.jpg

Tolkachi Robotnik
October 19, 2013, 09:21 PM
It is not a BHP though. It is a development off of the Tanfoglio, that is a development off the CZ 75, that is a development off the BHP. It looks about the same from the top, must be manually decocked if not fired, has about the same dimensions of sights, holds 13 in the magazine (the compact with 3.8 inch barrel), but after that the similarities pretty much end. The SAR B6P is a double action to single action. It has no magazine disconnect. I would guess the name and style was purposefully made to match closely the old BHP, B6P versus BHP especially handwritten?

Price is about $300. You could get three of them for the price of a new BHP. They fit well in the hand and conjure up the same image. You asked for the least expense. The Hungarian BHP by FEG can be very good or not. They usually run much less than a true BHP, less than half the new price. If used it depends on condition, but most would cost more than a new SAR B6P.

Critical J
October 19, 2013, 09:46 PM
"cheap" is not the primary concern, I'm looking for long term reliability, I can afford a slightly more expensive firearm easier than I can afford a lemon. Still though, affordability is second to that...

So, how's this SAR B6P in the ruggedness category?

Critical J
October 19, 2013, 09:47 PM
- deleted -

Tolkachi Robotnik
October 19, 2013, 11:31 PM
They have a year warranty. They have a low center of slide gravity that causes a strong solid feel on recoil, and little upward muzzle flip. They drop empties in a tight circle not very far away from the shooter. They tend to cycle with no stovepipes or abnormalities, both in my experience and reports I've read.

On negatives I've heard hearsay: EAA the importer is not RCBS for customer service. The pistols come with one magazine, the next is $36. The outer finish is not durable. The case it came in had a plastic soft finish that seems to react with the finish of the pistol or at least stick to it, don't store yours in that blue plastic box without wrapping it in something.

This is the small frame version based on older patents. The larger frame has a newer but better reputation with multiple top frames possible but a higher price.

MrDig
October 19, 2013, 11:38 PM
This is the FEG Hi-Power other FEG 9mm pistols are not HP clones but HP "like"
I have the PJK-9HP and they are good guns for the money
There may be some parts interchangeability but not on all parts if I remember correctly.
My PJK is a little rough compared to my Mk III but that is to be expected.
In my opinion the Argentine "FM" Hi-Powers are a little better finished than the FEG but that is only my opinion many might disagree with it.

Stephen A Camps website is choc full of great information.
http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/index.html

Here is the Blog site about the FEG Specifically
http://feghp.blogspot.com/

I tested the links in a preview so they should work

Stringfellow
October 20, 2013, 12:44 AM
The only consideration is that FEG did not label their HP's consistently: some with the same model numbers are essentially BHP clones, and others are BHP-inspired DA/SA pistols that copied the S&W59 internally. The best way to tell is to look for the oval crossbar seam directly above the trigger (visible in the original post).

Assuming it is a true HP clone, ALL parts are interchangeable. Some parts may need some fitting, but that can be said for actual BHPs too. The only difference I have seen when directly comparing the two is that the frame at the handle is actually a smidgen wider on the FEG. I don't know if this makes it effectively stronger, but my finger groove Hogue grips still fit regardless.

The FEG is a bit rougher finished--but usually not unless you really take the time to look. Mine needed a bit of dehorning, there were a few tool marks in places, and the bluing was uneven in a few areas. But hell, I could have gotten a B-stock for all I know. I am certainly not complaining for the ~$200 I spent on it around 3 years ago.

Some FEGs are actually extremely well finished. The Charles Daly versions usually were. My father has a few FEGS, 2 of which exceed the finish on his BHP.

It takes literally 5 minutes to remove the magazine brake, which results in an excellent trigger.

Someone posted a link to JayPee's Blogspot link. That really contains all you need to know about the FEG.

If I were starting a collection, I would not hesitate to buy a FEG as my sole pistol. If I were selling off my collection, it would probably be the last pistol I would sell. My rationale is that although the pistol is one of my sweetest, most accurate, most reliable shooters I own, it's low resale value would not be worth it to me unless I were down to my last penny--e.g., I could sell some of my other pistols for 4-figures, yet probably still only get under $300 for this one.

Use this underappreciation to your advantage--there aren't many such situations out there in the world of firearms...

Critical J
October 20, 2013, 07:12 AM
an "oval crossbar seam" huh? So, if I'm looking then that's what I would WANT to see there or I should avoid any gun that has that feature? Like you said, the top photo does have it...

sub-moa
October 20, 2013, 10:57 AM
Short answer: YES...you DO want to see the Cam. The Cam indicates the FN BHP locking system v. the FEG modified M59 system which has no cam. The Cam is press fit...FN uses the term "riveted", in the Receiver, machined flush, polished and finished...sometimes so well the seam is difficult to see. BTW, FEG also built a BHP look alike that, though it used the FN BHP Barrel Lug/Cam locking system, used a different Slide Stop (w/out the front "lobe") and a corresponding Slide.

Incidentally, FEG designated the FN BHP, part for part, "clone" pistol the P9, but then proceeded to apply numerous names/brands to the P9, including outright counterfeits of the FN...slide legend and even FN "proofs" to the same pistol. The PJK-9HP is actually an importers designation for the original FEG P9. The pictured FEG w/ the rib is a PF9.....

sub-moa
October 20, 2013, 11:26 AM
Oh...the FEG blog you've mentioned was done by "JayPee" and was posted free for years but recently he and an associate took it to some kind of electronic book form...the fee is nominal though.

AND...if you want a REAL, quality FN BHP pistol, especially to stuff in a "Go-Bag"...for whatever purpose ;), I'd suggest having a look on GB for cdisales (Cole's Distributors). Gary Cole has sold hundreds of surplus...mostly Israeli, FN BHP pistols over the past few years. You can get an all original, early '90s, forged frame, re-finished (Phosphate), no Firing Pin Safety, MkIII FN BHP for under $500. The MkIII BTW, is the current design which has the desirable MkII features that were carried over to the MkIII, such as a hollowpoint friendly feedramp, extended Ambi-Thumb Safety" and nylon/plastic grips as well as the MkIII "improved" Ejection Port AND very usable...and easily changed if you are of a mind, fixed sights, dovetailed front and rear.

FWIW, I'm not sure why I mention Cole's, it just increases the competition over pistols I'd like to buy ;). AND...I have no affiliation what-so-ever with them, other than as a plain old GB customer...who's purchased "several" of their FN BHP pistols :cool::D.

jstein650
October 20, 2013, 02:02 PM
I had one of the PJK-9HP's years ago, and wish I had held on to it. I got in new and it was very inexpensive. Accuracy was good, and it even shot cast bullets well, with very little leading which was really nice. I put on an extended safety - almost a must - and removed the magazine safety which greatly improved the trigger pull. Shoulda' kept that one.

Critical J
October 20, 2013, 03:08 PM
That's what I keep hearing, "Why did I ever sell that gun?!"

So, what's this mag safety everyone says to remove? I understand it can improve the trigger, but is there some trade-off in functionality upon removing it? I was all revolvers this time 3-months ago, have no idea what y'all are referring to...

MrDig
October 20, 2013, 03:38 PM
No Function disadvantage.
The Magazine safety prevents the gun from firing if the magazine is not in the gun.
Removing it has a huge effect on the trigger pull and helps the magazines to come clear of the mag well more readily. Also the gun will fire if there is a round in the chamber and no magazine in the gun.
If you follow the 4 rules and keep your finger off the trigger all is well.

sub-moa
October 20, 2013, 04:11 PM
The MDS is a flat faced plunger that's spring loaded and protrudes from its position within the rear of the trigger into the magazine well where it pushes against a seated magazine allowing the trigger mechanism to function. When there's NOT a magazine in place the plunger has nothing to push against which "disconnects" the trigger mechanism preventing the hammer from falling via trigger action.

With "Classic" BHP pistols...v. MkII and later pistols, the MDS can be removed by driving out the small solid pin in the trigger. This allows the MDS plunger, and it's coil spring to be removed from the trigger cut inside the front/top of the magazine well. Later production BHPs almost always require one to drive out the actual trigger pin that the trigger levers in the frame.

Removing the MDS reduces the actual pull weight of the trigger by eliminating the MDS coil spring. The trigger is smoothed by elimination of the friction caused by both the flat face of the plunger rubbing against the front of the magazine body and the shaft of the plunger rubbing within the trigger. BTW, if you remove the MDS, leave the pin OUT as evidence that the MDS is gone.

There can be a downside to removing the MDS though...some individual triggers, may not reset properly due to spring balance/tolerance issues.

bainter1212
October 20, 2013, 05:14 PM
Tagged

il.bill
October 20, 2013, 05:34 PM
MrBig and Stringfellow have the information you need in Posts 7 & 8.

If you see the oval barrel locking cam you have a FEG made in the original Browning design. The magazine safety is not that big of a deal to me after doing a little polishing on the shoe that rubs on the magazine. If the mag safety is in place I leave it there - if it is already gone, that is fine with me also.

I have four Hi Power design pistols that I purchased used for $300 -$500. One is an FN from Coles Distr. The other three were made by FEG: an FEG PJK-9HP (currently out of commission - waiting for a new extractor, available from Browning), a Luger M80, and a Mauser 80SA.

They feel marvelous in hand and point and shoot as well as any semi-auto handgun I own. If I found another in nice shape at a good price I would jump on it if my finances allowed at the time.

sub-moa
October 21, 2013, 12:50 AM
Critical J:
Your original question: “what exact model” is “the closest...Hungarian Hi-Power clone to the original single-action Browning" is not quite as simple as some would have you believe. I attempted to make that point earlier, gently...apparently too gently. I’ll be more direct…

PJK-9HP does not necessarily indicate “the closest...Hungarian Hi-Power clone to the original single-action Browning" as has been opined. PJK-9HP started as the US importer designation for the original FEG P9...the original, part for part, clone of the FN BHP. FWIW, PJK stands for Pamela Jane Kassnar, the wife of the importer Michael Kassnar, owner of KBI...it was not originally an FEG designation. FEG later marked PJK-9HP on their P9 pistols that were not even Kassnar imports, as well as the "almost" BHP "clone" I described earlier…the original FEG P9M, the one that uses the P9/BHP Lug/Cam but a different Slide Stop and correspondingly different Slide. FEG even went on to use PJK-9HP for their later P9M, the SA...not SA/DA, pistol that uses the modified M59 locking system. You'll note Stringfellow pointed out "FEG did not label their HP's consistently"…I subsequently mentioned the same convoluted labeling situation.

As far as identification of an FEG BHP clone by the Cam: "look for the oval crossbar (Cam) seam directly above the trigger"...is the best way to START. Having identified the Cam, one must also look to the Slide Stop and Slide cut to determine if they are in fact FN BHP pattern or the abbreviated FEG P9M versions...if one wants “the closest...Hungarian Hi-Power clone to the original single-action Browning".

FEG original P9M ("almost" BHP "clone") manual. Note the BHP Cam:

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh78/sub-moa/7d8b108e-f685-4735-8ac2-a487dfaaab86_zps3445a6d7.jpg (http://s253.photobucket.com/user/sub-moa/media/7d8b108e-f685-4735-8ac2-a487dfaaab86_zps3445a6d7.jpg.html)

FEG original P9M ("almost" BHP "clone")…slide marked PJK-9HP, Note: Cam and abbreviated FEG Slide Stop and Slide:

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh78/sub-moa/P9M-2_zps100de1fd.jpg (http://s253.photobucket.com/user/sub-moa/media/P9M-2_zps100de1fd.jpg.html)
http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh78/sub-moa/P9M-1_zpscc4bb346.jpg (http://s253.photobucket.com/user/sub-moa/media/P9M-1_zpscc4bb346.jpg.html)

Critical J
October 21, 2013, 09:48 AM
Maybe this is my fault for having trouble following all this, but I feel like we're getting close here, so let me ask it a different way:

"Which gun is 100%
parts transferable
with the original
Browning Hi-Power?"

That is what I'm looking for.

PabloJ
October 21, 2013, 09:52 AM
I would rather have that then the Argentinean clunker. Not long ago I almost "pulled a trigger" on Smith & Wessonish .45ACP version of that. Actually very nicely put together firearm.

Outlaw Man
October 21, 2013, 10:18 AM
Critical, the PJK-9HP, the one you have pictured, is as 100% parts transferrable as any. Some parts will require minor fitting, as said before.

The one exception is that they didn't have a firing pin block like the new HPs, so the sear lever will need to have that block removed, or I'm sure a good gunsmith could cut yours for it.

FWIW, I have both and actually enjoy shooting the FEG more. I have some sentimental attachment, though.

Orion8472
October 21, 2013, 11:17 AM
Critical J, . . . is the FEG in the OP yours? That is an incredibly nice example of one of the more rare FEG Hi Power clones.

sub-moa
October 21, 2013, 01:12 PM
Critical J:

It's NOT you, folks here are trying to be helpful...they either just don't know themselves or are confused and trying to simplify that which is...due to FEG's lack of consistency in naming/numbering models, just not simple.

There is one thing here that IS simple: Just using an FEG model name/number to choose a "gun (that) is 100% parts transferable with the original Browning Hi-Power?" will NOT assure you of getting a "gun (that) is 100% parts transferable with the original Browning Hi-Power?".

Look at the bottom 2 pics I posted last night. Obviously, that pistol has the Cam...meaning it uses the FN BHP locking system you are looking for. BUT, you'll also notice that the Slide is cut differently than a BHP, this to accommodate the...also quite obvious, abbreviated FEG Slide Stop. It is NOT a "gun (that) is 100% parts transferable with the original Browning Hi-Power?". That pistol was originally designated the P9M by FEG...the same as is pictured on the FEG manual in my 1st. pic of last night, yet that pistol itself is plainly marked PJK-9HP :banghead:, and I already explained where the PJK-9HP came from.

To confuse things even more, FEG later developed a SA pistol that outwardly looks like an FN BHP...with the FEG Slide and abbreviated FEG Slide Stop though, as pictured last night, BUT with a completely different locking system modeled after the S&W M59...and proceeded to name/number it the same P9M :eek:...just like the pistol described above :banghead:.

The only way to assure you are getting a "gun (that) is 100% parts transferable with the original Browning Hi-Power?" is to look for the FEG name/number P9 and/or PJK-9HP AND inspect the pistol for the Cam AND be sure the Slide is cut for...and it's fitted with the FN BHP Slide Stop as pictured below:

You’ve seen the Cam, here’s the correct Slide cut:
http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh78/sub-moa/FNBHPSlideCut_zpsc56cc6ee.jpg (http://s253.photobucket.com/user/sub-moa/media/FNBHPSlideCut_zpsc56cc6ee.jpg.html)

Here’s the correct Slide Stop:
http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh78/sub-moa/FNBHPSlideStop_zpsde7b58f6.jpg (http://s253.photobucket.com/user/sub-moa/media/FNBHPSlideStop_zpsde7b58f6.jpg.html)

Compare these pics with the pics I posted last night…

In other words you want this:
http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh78/sub-moa/PJK-9HPCLONE_zps2194765e.jpg (http://s253.photobucket.com/user/sub-moa/media/PJK-9HPCLONE_zps2194765e.jpg.html)

And NOT this:
http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh78/sub-moa/PJK-9HPNOTCLONE_zpsda4d1c3e.jpg (http://s253.photobucket.com/user/sub-moa/media/PJK-9HPNOTCLONE_zpsda4d1c3e.jpg.html)

In spite of BOTH being marked PJK-9HP :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Storm
October 21, 2013, 03:50 PM
A quick recommendation. Change the recoil spring in any FEG, especially an older one. I have heard that the Hungarian springs can be a bit underpowered. I was amazed how much so when I replaced mine with a Wolf's standard power spring.

BTW, as someone who knows a bit about FEGs I have to say that overall this thread is full of very good information.

Critical J
October 21, 2013, 06:46 PM
@ sub-moa
Alright, I appreciate you holding my hand w/ this one. I think I've got enough to take to the gun store guy now, but I wouldn't dare buy online with all these various factors in play. The three available at my local spot are your "not this" picture, one with a safety on the slide and one labeled "Mauser" + there was one with a lanyard ring at the bottom, but I think it sold. I take it those are all a NO GO, huh?

@ Outlaw Man/Orion8472
Nah, fellas - that beauty belongs to the Houndstooth Kid. Infact, it was his article that convinced me to track one down, so feel free to leave a comment there since you don't have to join any forums, seems like a cool guy:

http://mrlapel.blogspot.com/2012/11/firearms-browning-hi-power-via-feg.html?m=1

Gun Master
October 21, 2013, 07:28 PM
I have been disappointed by my older model R-9, with failure to feed. Since I have 3 mags, and I might try the Wolff Springs suggested. Nice looking gun. Would like to keep it, but not likely to if jams continue. Thanks for the info.:)

Critical J
October 21, 2013, 08:23 PM
Alright, new page/new direction, I guess. Tell me more about these R9's, looks like they could work, I'm not offended by the DA trigger (enough), but reliability is key! If it's still "fairly interchangeable" then that'd be close enough, does it shoot just as well as the
Hi-Power clone? Just how close to "clone" are we really talking, otherwise, here?

* okay, I've just learned that the R9 suffers from the S&W internals, sadly, but I'd still like to hear some feedback if anyone cares to contribute...

sub-moa
October 21, 2013, 09:36 PM
If the Mauser you speak of is a Mauser-Werke Mod 80SA like this, you've got an FEG BHP clone...

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh78/sub-moa/FEGMauser1_zpsc0087122.jpg (http://s253.photobucket.com/user/sub-moa/media/FEGMauser1_zpsc0087122.jpg.html)

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh78/sub-moa/FEGMauser2_zps9a57dd03.jpg (http://s253.photobucket.com/user/sub-moa/media/FEGMauser2_zps9a57dd03.jpg.html)

If you're now leaning toward a DA/SA FEG, I'll step aside...I'd imagine others will be happy to give you a hand.

Gun Master
October 21, 2013, 10:17 PM
My double action FEG Interarms R-9 appears to be a clone of the Mauser Model 90-DA. If you have it available, the Guns and Ammo 1995 Annual, lists the 90-DA on page 212. This looks like my R-9.

Critical J
October 22, 2013, 12:47 AM
@ sub-moa

Wait, say that again; the Mauser is a BHP clone?!
I was sure I had heard otherwise, elsewhere...
Trust me, I still prefer the SA trigger!

sub-moa
October 22, 2013, 01:27 PM
The Mauser-Werke 80SA...built by FEG, is a SA BHP clone whose parts interchange with genuine FN parts (with the exception of the current FN FPS Sear Lever...which can be trimmed and used, if a surplus Sear Lever isn't readily available) which are available here in the US through Browning Arms. That's the phosphate refinished pistol I posted the 2 slide legend pics of last night. I would still suggest you use the parts verification I've mentioned: BHP Cam, Slide cut and Slide Stop, when you handle the pistol...

THIS is the Mauser-Werke 80SA you want:
http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh78/sub-moa/Mauser80SA1_zps90e50bc1.jpg (http://s253.photobucket.com/user/sub-moa/media/Mauser80SA1_zps90e50bc1.jpg.html)

This is a Mauser-Werke 90DA you DO NOT want:
http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh78/sub-moa/Mauser80SA2_zps3b45bdb7.jpg (http://s253.photobucket.com/user/sub-moa/media/Mauser80SA2_zps3b45bdb7.jpg.html)

NOTE: the 80SA at the top is typical BHP SA and the SN normally begins 800XXXX while the 90DA below it is DA/SA with a slide mounted safety ala S&W and the SN normally begins 900XXXX...the magazines don't even interchange between the two :(

Storm
October 22, 2013, 02:10 PM
there was one with a lanyard ring at the bottom, but I think it sold

Speaking of a lanyard ring... This one is a true Hi Power clone. It was imported by CAI, which isn’t all that common. My research tells me that it is military surplus. It is based on the FN model known as the Vigilant which was also available with the lanyard ring. This gun saw rough service externally but was internally excellent. Some metal work and GunKote did the trick. I lucked out and found some like-new FN grips with the cutout for the lanyard post. It’s a great shooter with a tendency to shoot a bit high depending on the ammo. This one allows my mint 1980’s BHP to remain in the safe most of the time.

http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/7992/bp75.jpg

Pilot
October 22, 2013, 02:21 PM
Then there is the Charles Daly Hi Power which was also made by FEG, but assembled here if memory serves.

Storm
October 22, 2013, 03:08 PM
Then there is the Charles Daly Hi Power which was also made by FEG, but assembled here if memory serves.

Your memory serves correctly! Those Charles Daly/K.B.I. guns were very nicely done, some done with outstanding finishes. Then you have the surplus guns like mine and the Israeli Kareem. There are also fake FN stamped FEGs that I think came by way of Iraq.

Gun Master
October 22, 2013, 03:12 PM
The Mauser-Werke 80SA...built by FEG, is a SA BHP clone whose parts interchange with genuine FN parts (with the exception of the current FN FPS Sear Lever...which can be trimmed and used, if a surplus Sear Lever isn't readily available) which are available here in the US through Browning Arms. That's the phosphate refinished pistol I posted the 2 slide legend pics of last night. I would still suggest you use the parts verification I've mentioned: BHP Cam, Slide cut and Slide Stop, when you handle the pistol...

THIS is the Mauser-Werke 80SA you want:
http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh78/sub-moa/Mauser80SA1_zps90e50bc1.jpg (http://s253.photobucket.com/user/sub-moa/media/Mauser80SA1_zps90e50bc1.jpg.html)

This is a Mauser-Werke 90DA you DO NOT want:
http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh78/sub-moa/Mauser80SA2_zps3b45bdb7.jpg (http://s253.photobucket.com/user/sub-moa/media/Mauser80SA2_zps3b45bdb7.jpg.html)

NOTE: the 80SA at the top is typical BHP SA and the SN normally begins 800XXXX while the 90DA below it is DA/SA with a slide mounted safety ala S&W and the SN normally begins 900XXXX...the magazines don't even interchange between the two :(
Yup, the 90-DA shown looks exactly like mine, blond grips and all. Maybe I should have gone for the 80-SA clone. I can affirm that the SA and DA mags do not interchange.

Dr.Rob
October 22, 2013, 03:21 PM
I have three FEG hi-powers now. Two are complete clones, one is a mid-production simplified version.

Left to right.. stock except for Hogue grip, small gritty factory safety. Center: my competition pistol with a C&S aftermarket safety. Right: mid production gun with factory extended controls but a modified slide with the triangle cut. (I wonder if the extended lever from #3 will fit #1)

The big differences between those two was addressed here:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=263166&highlight=FEG

Critical J
October 22, 2013, 07:09 PM
I'd say that I'm 90% proof positive I've found the right model, as it's a Mauser with the cam and correct slide cut. It also has a standard safety, wood grips and a lanyard ring, if that means anything - got $50 down on it now, but if yall are suggesting that there's even more specification required then I have no further info at this time...

Price is a little high for a gun with oxidization issues, but I wouldn't call it a problem really. Not rusted, but a little brown with patina and still pretty smooth, it seemed. There was another Mauser with richer bluing that was slightly cheaper. I won't let a $25 difference bug me too bad.

Stringfellow
October 22, 2013, 11:57 PM
You got some good advice here, Critical. Sub-moa in particular gave you all the details you need.

The only question remaining, is whether the ring hammer gives you hammer bite. ;)

I choose the ring hammer every chance I get due to aesthetics (e.g., 1911), but the ring bit me horribly on the HP (technically it pinched me) whereas the spur hammer doesn't touch me at all. Instead it follows the curve of my hand perfectly without ever touching it. If this is your first real quality time with an HP, you should confirm.

But that is not an issue, I suspect you will be pretty happy the first time you got to the range with it...

sub-moa
October 23, 2013, 11:26 PM
That was good of you Stringfellow :o...thanks :D

You make yet another good point as well...regarding the ring v. spur hammer and hammer bite ;)

Coming from a revolver background, I'd imagine Critical will likely be ok ;) Ya think?

Wonder if he picked-up the 80SA?

:D:D:D

Stringfellow
October 24, 2013, 01:00 AM
There's always that point where you know just enough info to make yourself dangerous. I've been there many times, and many times folks here on this forum saved me from some grief. Sub-moa - we depend on folks like you to give us the scoop and keep us out of trouble--thanks.

A few years ago I would have made this mistake: BHP = good, FEG = good enough, so any given BHP styled FEG = good to go. But that is not necessarily the case once you learn the details...

Critical J
October 25, 2013, 01:39 PM
Not yet, but I'll let you know when I do.

sub-moa
October 25, 2013, 09:38 PM
Critical, I don't know what the asking price is for the FEG/Mauser 80SA you are considering...BUT, considering your intended use, I would be remiss if I failed to remind you of the possible alternative I suggested in Post #11:

"AND...if you want a REAL, quality FN BHP pistol, especially to stuff in a "Go-Bag"...for whatever purpose , I'd suggest having a look on GB for cdisales (Cole's Distributors). Gary Cole has sold hundreds of surplus...mostly Israeli, FN BHP pistols over the past few years. You can get an all original, early '90s, forged frame, re-finished (Phosphate), no Firing Pin Safety, MkIII FN BHP for under $500. The MkIII BTW, is the current design which has the desirable MkII features that were carried over to the MkIII, such as a hollowpoint friendly feedramp, extended Ambi-Thumb Safety" and nylon/plastic grips as well as the MkIII "improved" Ejection Port AND very usable...and easily changed if you are of a mind, fixed sights, dovetailed front and rear.

FWIW, I'm not sure why I mention Cole's, it just increases the competition over pistols I'd like to buy . AND...I have no affiliation what-so-ever with them, other than as a plain old GB customer...who's purchased "several" of their FN BHP pistols."

Best of luck in whatever you decide upon :D

Critical J
November 23, 2013, 06:22 PM
FEG Hi-Power in attendance!

Now then, what is this "mag disconnect" all about?
If I modify it, it'll give me a smoother trigger pull, right?
Can someone walk me through this process or provide a link, please?

sub-moa
November 24, 2013, 01:30 AM
As per your PM CJ:

Pros & Cons of the Magazine Disconnect/Safety, per the well respected Stephen Camp RIP...and YES it is...and has been, called a safety by the manufacturer...FN, at least since 1934!

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/MagazineSafety.htm

Posted for educational purposes only:

If you can read through some of the typical internet "I know more than the FN factory, professional BHP Pistolsmiths and respected BHP authorities" the basics can be found within this thread.

Keep in mind, with most older FN BHPs...and clones such as the FEG P9 based pistols, the MDS assembly may be safely removed without removing the trigger from the frame IF...and only IF, one fully and independently supports the trigger while driving out the small MDS Pin before working the MDS Plunger itself...and MDS Spring out the rear of the trigger.

If you find you must remove the Trigger from the frame because the MDS Plunger won't wiggle out, ignore the initial posted opinion in this thread that the Trigger Pin should be driven left to right. The Trigger Pin should be driven from RIGHT to LEFT...at least according to the folks who manufactured the pistol.

Keep in mind, individual pistols might require individual levels of force to move/drive out the Trigger Pin AND it is downright common for inexperienced individuals to mar-up either frame and/or Trigger Pin.

Again, for educational purposes only:

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=133740

Onmilo
November 24, 2013, 03:30 AM
I didn't read all the posts so I don't know if the question was answered yet.
The Hungarian FEG P-9 is the closest to the original High Power.
All parts will interchange based on post 1973 FN manufacture.
Best advice if you find one is to replace the original slide stop with an OEM FN made slide stop, the Hungarian made ones are soft, they never could produce a satisfactory copy and that is why they went to the simpler short slide stop on the guns. HTH

Stringfellow
November 24, 2013, 04:05 AM
Removing the mag safety took my trigger from nails-on-a-chalkboard horrible to grease-on-glass outstanding. Philosophically, I don't like the concept of a mag safety, so the decision to remove it was a no brainer for me.

My FEG trigger is the best trigger of all my pistols (almost all have been worked over by a smith).

Janos Dracwlya
November 24, 2013, 11:06 AM
I purchased one of the Cole Distributing FN-marked FEG Hi Powers back in late September. (Cole is half an hour's drive from where I live)

In comparing it to my Mark IIIS/SFS FN Hi Power, it seemed to me that it would be fairly simple to have it modified to add a firing pin block. Is this so?

Thanks.

CajunBass
November 24, 2013, 02:48 PM
There's a lot of good information in this thread. Thanks for kicking it back to the top whoever did.

I picked up this PJK-9HP, a K.B.I. import, a few weeks ago. I haven't had much chance to shoot it, just a magazine full of mixed ammo out back of the hog pen, but it seems to work fine and hits where I point it if I point it where I want it to hit. While it's not as pretty as a Browning HP, it's a long way from ugly. Couple of small scratches and dings, but doesn't appear to have been dropped or kicked around too much.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b292/CajunBass/handguns/100_0541_zpsf500644d.jpg (http://s21.photobucket.com/user/CajunBass/media/handguns/100_0541_zpsf500644d.jpg.html)

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b292/CajunBass/handguns/100_0542_zps89eca763.jpg (http://s21.photobucket.com/user/CajunBass/media/handguns/100_0542_zps89eca763.jpg.html)

The magazine disconnect is still intact. It really doesn't seem to be a big deal to me. The trigger has a bit of takeup, but after that breaks nicely Not something I can't live with. I didn't have a problem with hammer bite in the very limited shooting I did, but it's something I'll be aware of in the future. The safety is too small and stiff, but not worth changing out for what I'll use the gun for.

I probably paid "too much" for it ($350.00) but compared to Browning's going for 800-1,000.00, I figured it would scratch the itch I've had for a Hi-Power for years.

Onmilo
November 24, 2013, 10:35 PM
CajunBass $350 isn't too much for what you got.
Some really beat up examples go for that much on GunBroker.
BTW. did you know FEG wooden grips are made from Birchwood and not walnut?
Better in my opinion.

Critical J
November 24, 2013, 10:46 PM
mine has the lanyard ring, but is in a little rougher condition. still payed $350 for it though, might could have gotten a little better...

CajunBass
November 24, 2013, 11:05 PM

No idea, but thanks for the information.

All I knew was they looked a lot better than goodyears. :D

sub-moa
November 25, 2013, 11:02 AM
There's a lot of good information in this thread. Thanks for kicking it back to the top whoever did.

I picked up this PJK-9HP, a K.B.I. import, a few weeks ago. I haven't had much chance to shoot it, just a magazine full of mixed ammo out back of the hog pen, but it seems to work fine and hits where I point it if I point it where I want it to hit. While it's not as pretty as a Browning HP, it's a long way from ugly. Couple of small scratches and dings, but doesn't appear to have been dropped or kicked around too much.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b292/CajunBass/handguns/100_0541_zpsf500644d.jpg (http://s21.photobucket.com/user/CajunBass/media/handguns/100_0541_zpsf500644d.jpg.html)

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b292/CajunBass/handguns/100_0542_zps89eca763.jpg (http://s21.photobucket.com/user/CajunBass/media/handguns/100_0542_zps89eca763.jpg.html)

The magazine disconnect is still intact. It really doesn't seem to be a big deal to me. The trigger has a bit of takeup, but after that breaks nicely Not something I can't live with. I didn't have a problem with hammer bite in the very limited shooting I did, but it's something I'll be aware of in the future. The safety is too small and stiff, but not worth changing out for what I'll use the gun for.

I probably paid "too much" for it ($350.00) but compared to Browning's going for 800-1,000.00, I figured it would scratch the itch I've had for a Hi-Power for years.

NICE pistol Cajun :D

Schlegel
November 25, 2013, 08:09 PM
CajunBass $350 isn't too much for what you got.
Some really beat up examples go for that much on GunBroker.
Better in my opinion.
On mine they appear pretty clearly to be Oak. I think FEG went budget on the wood selection, using whatever was convenient.

Janos Dracwlya
November 29, 2013, 10:30 PM
So, I'll ask it again:

I purchased one of the Cole Distributing FN-marked FEG Hi Powers back in late September. (Cole is half an hour's drive from where I live)

In comparing it to my Mark IIIS/SFS FN Hi Power, it seemed to me that it would be fairly simple to have it modified to add a firing pin block. Is this so?

Thanks.

Critical J
February 13, 2014, 09:37 PM
http://www.yourprops.com/movieprops/original/yp_4e2b1239530ad6.16926728/Indiana-Jones-And-The-Raiders-Of-The-Lost-Ark-Indiana-Jones-Pistol-2.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "FEG Hi-Power 9mm (questions/clarifications)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!