Spanish Destroyer Scope Mounts???

PDA

MrM4
October 21, 2013, 05:34 PM
I am going to scope the 9mm Luger Spanish Destroyer I built and was wondering if anyone can point me at a rail that they know will fit the shape of the receiver? I will drill and tap as needed.

If you enjoyed reading about "Spanish Destroyer Scope Mounts???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jackal
October 21, 2013, 07:33 PM
....I'm not normally one to complain about this but: Please dont bubba a Destroyer, unless its already been chopped up.:banghead::(

MrM4
October 21, 2013, 08:07 PM
The gun was rusty with a trashed stock. The gun has been restored, rust removed metal refinished, stock has had the dents raised and then sanded stained and clear coated. Chamber was set ahead to 9mm luger and head spaced the barrel threaded for a silencer and a matching OD cap turned to make the barrel appear original. At this point it looks better then it has in 30 years. I do not think a few screw holes are going to hurt a gun that was used so rough the Destroy on the receiver looked more like a row boat.

Robert
October 21, 2013, 08:22 PM
Ok, so did you do the work yourself or did you have a smith do it? If a smith did the work he should be able to help with scope mounts.

MrM4
October 21, 2013, 08:39 PM
I'm a 07/02 FFL I did the machining and refinish work myself.

I was just hoping someone might be able to tell me "I used a base to a Savage, Marlin, Mossberg Modle XYZ and it fit nicely". I didn't have anything in the shop that fit the shape of the Destroyer perfectly. I was just hoping some one who has done it might be able to save me some headache of searching for a base with the right shape.

Thanks!

BCRider
October 22, 2013, 01:23 AM
Let's also keep in mind that a 9mm bullet isn't going to reach out all that far. Do you really need a scope for 50 and 100 yards?

I just got two Destroyers. One in the stock 9mm Largo and the second that is mid way through the 9mm Luger conversion. I'll likely look at a "non-destructive" way to put a rear peep aperture sight on them but I know already that if I try for 200 yards it'll be more for whimsy than reality. They really are a 50 to 100 yard gun simply due to bullet drop and ballistics coefficients.

Mind you myidea of the peep rear is to help out the aging eyesight issue. If you're in the same boat then it makes the reasoning behind your project a LOT more understandable.

Jim Watson
October 22, 2013, 01:33 AM
Can you measure the diameter of the receiver?
There is a chart of actual Weaver base dimensions at
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=11214/GunTechdetail/W-R-Weaver-Company-Mount-Base-Specifications

Including the diameter of the cylindrical receiver or barrel they are for.

Robert
October 22, 2013, 06:57 AM
Very cool that you did all the work yourself, but considering that the Destroyer is fairly rare to begin with I am not all that surprised that no one knows of mounts that will fit. Though I hope you get it sorted out. Sounds like a neat project.

MrM4
October 22, 2013, 10:05 AM
BCrider is correct about the rifle being limited in distance. I knew that going in and most of the time it will be using sub sonic ammo. A red dot is the likely choice or a 1-4 may fit the bill as well.

Thanks Jim I will check it out, that might be the thing I needed.

Robert, Nor am I. Its an odd duck. I bought it as a junker at a gun show and restored it to something useful. Like much surplus, the 9x23 is drying up somewhat and the cost is raising. I have the Tooling / Machines and was set up to load 9MM so it all made since.

If you enjoyed reading about "Spanish Destroyer Scope Mounts???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!