Just ordered my first (expensive) gun online.

PDA

Cryogaijin
October 21, 2013, 07:52 PM
I'm a bit nervous.

I have been lusting after a Vepr 54r 27" slantback for over a year, and been waiting for them to come back on the market. They're seasonal, much as Saigas are.

However with the various "fun" things happening in Washington and Russia, there has been a lot of disrupt. So I decided to order from the last place they're available, Molot USA. They're more expensive than elsewhere, but it is exactly the gun I want.

But as this is the first time I've ordered a firearm over $200 off the internet, I'm a bit nervous. Still, hopefully, I'll have a new Vepr in about a week.

If you enjoyed reading about "Just ordered my first (expensive) gun online." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Trent
October 21, 2013, 08:55 PM
I felt weird the first time I ordered a gun over the internet and had it delivered to my front door. (Right after I got my FFL!)

The only worry I have ordering online is getting scammed. But, you can take precautions with that. Do your homework, make sure the seller is reputable, etc.

Enjoy the new gun!

Cryogaijin
October 21, 2013, 09:18 PM
Oh, I'm sure I'll enjoy it! It fits a hole in my current inventory nicely, with a bonus of VERY cheap ammo.

460Kodiak
October 22, 2013, 08:15 AM
Use a credit card too. If they fail to deliver the credit card company will go after them.

I've only bought one gun online and it was expensive to me. $1400 for a S&W PC revolver. When you pay a lot you expect perfection and without handling it personally you can't be sure. Turns out mine had a minor defect, but I don't care much. I may contact S&W.

yzguy87
October 22, 2013, 04:52 PM
I've bought several guns online and I've had good experiences with every purchase. Most were from dealers but i have bought some guns and accessories from individuals too.
I just wanted to share my experiences to help ease your mind!

BP Hunter
October 22, 2013, 07:11 PM
I used to order guns from buds and have made multiple purchases from galleryofguns and have never had any problems.

Cryogaijin
October 23, 2013, 05:25 AM
I don't really care if the gun is "perfect" but I do have some requirements. The stock must be pristine, and it must be reasonably accurate. I don't really care if the trigger is good, I know I can drop in a good tapco trigger if I don't like it.

I'm already pondering what sort of muzzle device to put on it. . . I'm vaguely tempted to go for my first silencer, though a silencer on a 27" barrel on an already heavy rifle might be a bit much. Putting an SVD flash hider is what most people do with 'em.

FROGO207
October 23, 2013, 05:51 AM
I have purchased a bunch of firearms and other related items from the net and all purchases were as stated. A couple firearms were even in better shape than the description posted and I was pleasantly surprised there. Some local purchases were NOT as good. Hard to find out if something functions without shooting it first either way. Seems the on line sellers I have dealt with have been more up front with function/condition issues FWIW.

Willie Sutton
October 23, 2013, 06:24 AM
A Vepr?

Wait, I thought you said "expensive" ... ;-)

I've bought firearms as high end as a 1906 John Wilkes .450 NE Double Rifle (and *that's* an expensive rifle, at well over 5 figures) via the Net as a means of communication. Bear in mind that the internet is just that: A means of communication, not a "place". You don't bu anything from the internet, you buy from a person or company and you communicate via the internet. I don't by guns from the internet, phone company, or post office... I use those means to communicate with vendors though.

People and companies are as diverse as the world. Find good vendors and you will be all set. The internet is just a wire...

Willie

Cryogaijin
October 23, 2013, 07:18 AM
Roughly 2 paychecks from my job, so yeah, expensive.

Willie Sutton
October 23, 2013, 01:27 PM
Expensive enough then!

Once again, the internet is really just another telephone line... use it to find good people and you'll be all set.

Enjoy the Vepr, they are nice rifles.

Willie

Trent
October 23, 2013, 04:09 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't mind having one of those someday.

Problem is I'm at the point (with my better half) where "something else has to go, first", and I have a hard time letting go of things. :)

Willie Sutton
October 23, 2013, 04:44 PM
^^

Willie's observations on marital bliss and firearms:

1: When you have three guns, a 4th is impossible to hide.

2: When you have 300, good luck finding the new one.

3: The key, then, to happy marriages is to own a LOT of guns... :p

Willie

FROGO207
October 24, 2013, 07:28 PM
^^ I have the guns part taken care of, now I just need the wife part.:D (I think!)

Trent
October 24, 2013, 07:43 PM
^^ I have the guns part taken care of, now I just need the wife part.:D (I think!)

As a veteran of two tours of duty in the theater of marriage, I'll offer a piece of free advice.

Careful what you wish for.

:evil:

morcey2
October 25, 2013, 10:30 AM
I've seen the subject of this thread every day for a couple of days and I know exactly what it says, but every time I see it my brain interprets it as

Just ordered my first (expletive) gun online.

:D

I've wanted to buy a semi-auto 7.62x54R for a while, but haven't broken down and actually done it yet. Almost bought a PSL last fall. Probably should have.

Matt

Trent
October 25, 2013, 06:35 PM
Never had a PSL, but I had a Romak III, was junk. Ended up trading it in for something else. Finally landed on a Yugo M76 in 8mm. THAT gun can shoot.

Cryogaijin
October 28, 2013, 01:03 PM
Given that it is a week after ordering and I haven't heard anything from either my LGS or the company I ordered from (Molot USA) I'm feeling a bit (expletive)y

Queen_of_Thunder
October 28, 2013, 03:04 PM
In regards to post #14

No you don't because we get half of your stuff and all of ours plus.

Jcinnb
October 28, 2013, 09:29 PM
I bought my 27" Vepr square back on line. Knew stock would be junk. It was, but 15 - 20 hrs later, it was good. Same day custom stock arrived.

Have bought ten to twelve on line, all been sweet.

Enjoy your Vepr.

valnar
October 30, 2013, 10:46 AM
But as this is the first time I've ordered a firearm over $200 off the internet, I'm a bit nervous.

I'd be more nervous buying a gun that sold for under $200 off the Internet.

Blacksmoke
October 30, 2013, 11:01 AM
I have bought guns from on-line sellers at Gunsamerica.com. No problems of any sort. Would do it again. Shipping can be expensive, some sellers absorb part of that cost, others charge for full reimbursement plus a little for their time. Naturally, I prefer to pick up the piece and look it over before buying. The on-selection is so much better than what is available local.

Comrade Mike
October 30, 2013, 11:29 AM
I can't remember the last gun I bought over the counter. I do most of my gun buys online through private parties as a milsurp collector.

Give my local FFL a lot of business

madwildcat
October 31, 2013, 10:05 PM
I remember my first online purchase. I went and read a dozen places online to make sure everything was "legal" (which looking back is hilarious given where I live). Now, I can't remember the last time I purchased a gun over the counter at a shop or gun show (still do some FTF with individuals). Maybe with the prices coming down, it will get reasonable at the shows again.

Cryogaijin
November 4, 2013, 11:55 AM
http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af252/Eradikitten/Pritti_zps1c6c18e7.jpg~original

Trent
November 4, 2013, 12:37 PM
That's some nice looking wood!

If you enjoyed reading about "Just ordered my first (expensive) gun online." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!