Revolver for CC

PDA

meatcreeper
October 22, 2013, 02:58 PM
Looking for a revolver. Would like to carry it when I send my XD-S back to Springfield for the recall.

Fill in the blanks:

When it comes to concealed carry, I prefer my _____________________ (revolver) over my ___________________(semi auto).

Thanks,

MC

If you enjoyed reading about "Revolver for CC" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Godsgunman
October 22, 2013, 03:10 PM
I take my S&W 36 pretty much everywhere I go. IWB or in a pocket.

snooperman
October 22, 2013, 03:18 PM
My carry gun, most of the time, is the Colt Magnum Carry.

lowercase
October 22, 2013, 05:19 PM
I usually roll with my S&W 642 or Charter Bulldog .44spl.

Bobmar
October 22, 2013, 05:25 PM
I carry a S&W 640 in front pocket daily. Bob

ArchAngelCD
October 22, 2013, 05:38 PM
Looking for a revolver. Would like to carry it when I send my XD-S back to Springfield for the recall.

Fill in the blanks:
When it comes to concealed carry, I prefer my _________________ (revolver) over my _______________ (semi auto).

Thanks,

MC

When it comes to concealed carry, I prefer my ____S&W M442___ _ (revolver) over ____ANY___ _ (semi auto).

Sergei Mosin
October 22, 2013, 05:53 PM
When it comes to concealed carry, I prefer my KLCR over my wife's P238. Of course, these are pocket guns. If I'm carrying on my belt, I'm almost always carrying an automatic.

harvester
October 22, 2013, 05:55 PM
Detective special 38, or Kahr CM9. Detective Special is simpler.

AdamSean
October 22, 2013, 06:46 PM
That is tough. I will always choose my Glock 19 over my Smith & Wesson 638, but the snubbie fills certain gaps the Glock can't.

camsdaddy
October 22, 2013, 09:37 PM
Agree I carry my model 60 when I can't carry my Glock 19. I found i can carry my 19 and have less weight and more rounds than my 3" 65. I do throw my 60 in my pocket when doing yard work etc.

Haywood
October 22, 2013, 09:43 PM
SP101 IWB and LCR357 in pocket. All day every day. Over my Glock 26 and Colt 70 Series 1911.

Tony_the_tiger
October 22, 2013, 09:50 PM
When it comes to concealed carry, I prefer my ________S&W 442 (No-Lock)_____________ (revolver) over my _______Non-existent____________(semi auto).

http://i978.photobucket.com/albums/ae269/kiwirat33/Chrono/442_zpsba484930.jpg

I also carry an SP101 - usually both- but the 442 is very light and very easy to conceal.

Lucky Derby
October 23, 2013, 03:54 AM
Sp101

bannockburn
October 23, 2013, 07:34 AM
Prefer my S&W Model 638 over my SIG P238.

MedWheeler
October 23, 2013, 07:36 AM
I have two vintage Charter Arms Undercover revolvers in .38 Special. One is from 1987, purchased the day I was sworn in as a LEO. The other was my dad's, and is from 1966 (though he was not the original owner.) I like the newer one a little more because its stocks are thicker and checkered, and because of the shrouded barrel.

I do normally carry an auto, but have carried these from time to time when nostalgia strikes (been carrying that newer one around the last couple of nights), and I do like them.

Sam1911
October 23, 2013, 08:07 AM
When it comes to concealed carry, I prefer my _4" S&W 629_ (revolver) over my _Ruger Mk II_(semi auto).

frankiestoys
October 23, 2013, 09:02 AM
The J frames make an excellent cc choice

msnden
October 23, 2013, 09:39 AM
For CC purposes, it just dosen't get any better JMOP

http://www.dayattherange.com/?p=68

460Kodiak
October 23, 2013, 09:51 AM
I've been carrying my 3: SP101 in the mean time.

RealGun
October 23, 2013, 10:32 AM
Concealment is a function of how one dresses and how much gun awareness one is willing to live with. I have chosen to decide what amount of firepower is right for me and go from there. I don't believe I have a false sense of security. I would, however, compromise as much as necessary, depending upon the circumstances, and still have a gun of some form on my person. I just would not consider a little gun fine for everyday carry.

HexHead
October 23, 2013, 11:15 AM
Colt Detective Special is usually my carry gun, but I've been carrying my 438 lately.

dawei
October 23, 2013, 05:12 PM
When it comes to concealed carry, I prefer my ____Taurus® Mdl 85SS2UL____ (revolver) over ____ANY____ (semi auto).

Hoppes Love Potion
October 23, 2013, 06:38 PM
My AirLite J-frame practically carries itself. Now I know why it has a lanyard ring - so it doesn't wander off in a light breeze.

spm
October 23, 2013, 06:44 PM
#1 Colt Detective Special
#2 S&W M19 2.5"
spm

oldcelt
October 23, 2013, 10:02 PM
Sp 101 .327 fed or S&W .357 combat.

Jim NE
October 24, 2013, 06:21 PM
Well, my S&W j frames are pretty amazing - something that small and light shouldn't be able to take that much punishment. But I will be selling my old model 37 - it has the small wood grips and the alloy frame. I was always impressed that it didn't recoil more than it did. But I shot it right after I shot my new old Rossi model 68, and it was like riding a dirt bike after driving a Chrysler.

The Rossi is bigger, heavier and has rubber target grips, and therefore absorbs more recoil. If you can go a little bigger and heavier for a concealed gun, I would.

Not getting rid of my two model 36's, though. :)

meatcreeper
October 24, 2013, 07:35 PM
I was apprehensive about posting this "fill in the blanks" line at first but I am glad I did. I am learning a whole lot here! :) I'll probably getting a j-frame between now and some time next year. Good choices and the most important thing is that they just simply work.

Thanks,

MC

shafter
October 25, 2013, 03:14 PM
I generally carry a Smith and Wesson 37 in a Bianchi belt holster. I've also realized that I can carry my 4'' Ruger Security Six in a Bianchi belt holster with perfect concealment as long as I keep my shirt untucked.

ArchAngelCD
October 25, 2013, 03:53 PM
Like I said in Post #6 I carry a S&W M442 daily. It's carried in my front right pocket and I also carry a speed strip for a reload.

JERRY
October 25, 2013, 04:02 PM
well........... forgive my poor photo-shopping skills.

AABEN
October 25, 2013, 05:52 PM
My mod 12 M&P airweight 6 shot 2 in

azrn
October 25, 2013, 08:31 PM
sp 101 3" 357 mag. yea baby! azrn

Defc0n
October 25, 2013, 08:44 PM
When it comes to concealed carry, I prefer my Ruger LCR in 357 magnum (revolver) over my FN Five-Seven (semi auto).

While I can't say that this is actually true I did just fill in the blanks. I love my Five-Seven, not one failure, very light recoil (I can put several shots on target very rapidly), and for me the safety is actually in a good spot.

However, I have a very slim build and can't really conceal the FN on my person easily. The five shot revolver is, hopefully, better than nothing if I ever do have to use it.

PRM
October 26, 2013, 08:15 AM
Can't say as I prefer one over the other. I'm usually carrying one of the below. But, then again that is dependent on what I'm doing.

S&W 649, or one of my Walther(s).

The one gun that always goes in my pocket either by itself or carried in addition too, is my NAA Black Widow in .22 Magnum. When concealment trumps other factors, the BW is small and light enough to never be without it.

herkyguy
October 26, 2013, 09:21 AM
My crossbreed IWB holster is in the mail right now for my newly acquired LCR. I picked it up after sending back my XDs. I carried an SP101 for a few years, but it got to be a bit heavy for my taste and my pathetically weak back.

the LCR is great, it shoots well, fits my hand, and is lightweight. i'll rotate it between a Sig P238 worn OWB, and my XDs (also worn OWB) whenever it returns. i suspect the LCR will get quite a bit of use.

1911Teacher
October 26, 2013, 09:57 AM
I do not like any small revolver for carry. The carry is not bad. It's the shooting. I had a light weight S&W years ago and could not shoot it well. Tried many others since at the gun range as rentals. Most sights are pitiful. The triggers are very hard to pull and for a good reason. The short sight radius does not help. The .357s are a pain to shoot. Too each his own, but I will stick with my xds if it ever comes back from recall!

huntershooter
October 26, 2013, 10:31 AM
S&W mod. 12
Colt D.S.
I do not prefer them over my 1911's or P-35's, simply different tools for different jobs.
Each has their place.

meatcreeper
October 26, 2013, 07:04 PM
Too each his own, but I will stick with my xds if it ever comes back from recall!
1911Teacher, thus the reason for this post! :) My XDS is going back to the shop (soon as they can find a cure and send the ones before mine back).

Thanks everyone for posting. I think what I am looking at is getting a revolver (one of the fine models mentioned here) and using it for carry/home defense in the absence of my XD-S.

MC

Esoxchaser
October 26, 2013, 07:43 PM
Prefer 4" stainless Colt King Cobra
over
a Rock.

I bought the King brand new in '87 when they came out with the stainless model. Since then I have become a pistol kind of guy. Wheel guns only get out for hunting.

Deaf Smith
October 26, 2013, 08:00 PM
Take your pick!

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=179089&d=1359948436

For the classics.

Or you can get the newer polymer ones like the Ruger LCR or S&W Bodyguard.

Deaf

savit260
October 26, 2013, 08:03 PM
When it comes to concealed carry, I prefer my _Colt 1917 or Ruger Blackhawk (revolver) over any (semi auto).

Either one is easy enough to carry/conceal with a high quality belt and holster.

meatcreeper
October 26, 2013, 08:45 PM
Take your pick!
Dear Deaf,

Please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Sal I. Vating. :cool: Now if you'll excuse me, I must be on my way to a gunstore.

Awesome.

MC

Deaf Smith
October 27, 2013, 11:59 PM
MC,

Here is how you do it.

Save your cash! Don't by 'cute' guns. Haunt the pawn and gun shops. In time one will show up for sale.

Then you need to do complete check to makes sure the gun is good.

That is look for end shake, crane shake, cylinder shake, out of time, bad hammer, modifications, etc... and if you find something wrong, unless you are an expert armorer, then walk away.

Done that for about 30 years or more and that is how I came to have that little collection (and I have better ones!)

Now and then you will see a S&W 66 2 1/2 snub for sale, or a older S&W J snub. And a Ruger Speed Six will come up (GunsAmerica have some 2 3/4 inch Security Sixs now.) But, getting guns online is a kind of gamble as the seller may embellish the guns' status.

And that is why I prefer seeing them in shops so I can inspect them.

And if it's a classic older gun then please use wood for the grips for then you will understand what Hemingway wrote when he talked about the comforting feel of well worn checkered grips.

Deaf

Stevel
October 28, 2013, 09:54 PM
You won't regret a 442/642.

Other than that, I find a 4" GP 100 in a Texas Heritage (http://www.tuckergunleather.com/texas-heritage-iwb/) IWB is very comfortable.

sgt127
October 29, 2013, 12:57 AM
A S&W 3" 65 has travelled many a mile with me. I like them enough to have a spare in the safe, just in case.

October 29, 2013, 04:54 PM
When it comes to concealed carry, I prefer my Ruger KLCR (revolver) over my Springfield XD-S (semi auto).

I was carrying an XD-S but had already switched over to a Ruger KLCR before I sent my XD-S back to Springfield. My XD-S comes back tomorrow and I'll try carrying it one more time with a new ARES belt but will most likely sell it because it doesn't carry anywhere near as well as the KLCR. These days I carry a KLCR in a CrossBreed SlipSlide (OWB) on an Ares Gear belt and couldn't be happier. I carry another KLCR in a Cozy Partner Renegade ankle holster sometimes as well. Sure, the Rugers aren't refined like the S&Ws but the triggers are excellent out of the box and they're about as utilitarian as they come with the black over stainless finish (KLCR model). The KLCR is an excellent carry revolver with near perfect balance on a belt. All of the weight is in the cylinder which rides at the belt line with the CB holster so there's no tendency for the revolver to rotate away from the body. AWESOME, AWESOME, AWESOME!! My only regret is that I didn't find this KLCR/CB/Ares combination 2 years ago.

http://thr.mcmxi.org/revolvers/ruger/lcr/photos/ruger_klcr_13.jpg

jhvaughan2
October 30, 2013, 12:38 AM
When it comes to concealed carry, I prefer my ____S&W M442___ _ (revolver) over ____ANY___ _ (semi auto).
This. But for me it is a 342.

788Ham
October 30, 2013, 02:03 AM
SP 101 3" .357, carried in a Bianchi holster, never feel un-gunned.

bluekouki86
October 30, 2013, 03:58 AM
My S&W 642 NEVER leaves my side. I carry it alone, or as a backup to bigger firepower (629, 1911 etc...).

ugaarguy
October 30, 2013, 04:14 AM
For deep carry I like AirWeight and AirLite J Frames in pre-lock or no lock trim. For belt carry I like 3" or 4" bbl .38 Spl or .357 Mag medium frame wheel guns: Current preference is a Ruger GP-100 for new production, and any pre-MIM S&W K or L frame I can find a good deal on used.

TUBBY1
October 30, 2013, 02:16 PM
I'm another sp101,357 in a three inch. My friend has a lcr which appears an easier carry but nothing shoots better than my SP101.

MR.G
October 30, 2013, 10:26 PM
When it comes to CC I prefer any S&W J frame to any autoloader.

If you enjoyed reading about "Revolver for CC" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!