How often do you clean your gun.

PDA

KaceCoyote
March 25, 2004, 09:30 PM
I'm starting to feel like I'm overcleaning here. I usually clean after the range, the day after the range..and atleast once a week.

If you enjoyed reading about "How often do you clean your gun." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Renegade
March 25, 2004, 09:36 PM
I clean my guns after shooting them. I used to clean them once a week or if I was looking for an excuse not to do something on the wife's honeydo list.

Later,

Dave

Hardtarget
March 25, 2004, 09:50 PM
I wipe guns every time they're shot...to remove finger prints ect. and to keep down rust. I usually run a patch down the bore,too. I completely clean my carry piece every time I shoot it. Just makes me feel better.
Mark.

tc300mag1
March 25, 2004, 09:52 PM
I clean after the range and then once a month if need which is uauslly a wipe down more than clean

Black Majik
March 25, 2004, 10:08 PM
After every range session. None of my guns go unshot for a month anyways so after a range session is adequate enough for me :)

Oh, and after I buy a new gun. Which means I gotta bust out the cleaning kit and clean my new S&W 686 PP :D

scromp
March 25, 2004, 10:15 PM
I clean after the range and then once a month if need which is uauslly a wipe down more than clean

Same here. Clean real good after firing, otherwise a regular rust protection wipe-down.

Michigander
March 25, 2004, 10:16 PM
Only after I shoot. If I'm hunting deer for days at a time, I wipe it them down at the end of each day, but I don't clean the barrel or chamber.

I also wipe them down if I happen to handle them for any reason.

March 25, 2004, 10:22 PM
I clean mine:
A) When they start to malfunction (as a general rule of thumb somewhere around 500 rounds).
B) If I have no intention of shooting it for awhile prior to returning it to the safe (I train with the same guns all the time. The rest are just for fun now and then).
C) Prior to attending a formal training class or a match.

JeepDriver
March 25, 2004, 10:32 PM
Every time I shoot.

If it's just a quick mag or two I just give it a whipe down But if its 50 rounds of more it gets totally cleaned.

CleverNickname
March 25, 2004, 10:38 PM
Most guns get cleaned after coming back from the range, but one of my G19s that I shoot IDPA with every week hasn't been cleaned in ~5k rounds or so. Just a little lube every once in awhile. It's a combination of laziness and curiosity to see how long it can go w/o a cleaning.

Nickotym
March 26, 2004, 12:59 PM
I clean my after range trips, which I hope to make one of tomorrow, and about every 2-3 weeks if not out shooting before then.

Zach S
March 26, 2004, 01:12 PM
There are 5 votes for "Uhm, people clean them?"

I'm one of them. I keep my thompson clean, but its blued and rarely fired. I will pull the slide off, wipe the rails down, re-lube, and boresnake my pistols every other range session or so (oil every session), but I normally dont actually "clean" them untill I change the recoil spring.

Cyberdyne systems
March 26, 2004, 01:28 PM
I clean then after each range session, and sometimes clean them again or "detail clean" them by getting every nook and cranny and going over it with a fine tooth comb, sometimes you will find a broken or worn part when you pay close attention by detail cleaning, i like to know my gun like the back of my hand

Smoke
March 26, 2004, 01:29 PM
Only after I shoot. But not after every time I shoot.

Depends on # of rounds. Other factors.

Smoke

sm
March 26, 2004, 01:53 PM
No Comment :p
I'm one of the "5". ;)

Okay, it depends, my bbls are great, guns accurate, the actions and such are in tip top shape, no rust, and inspect ,maintanence, and normal stuff like spring replacements are done.Chambers are clean and dry, extractors, and ratches are - well...clean, dry and extract everytime. They feed everytime. They go "Bang" everytime.

No I do not "baby" my guns...they get used, not mistreated. Well they have taken swims, fallen in mud, snow,been sweated upon, and run into stuff...ya know...normal. ;)

Well just last fall ( '03) I cleaned the bbl on one CCW, and...and...what 3 wks ago had to remove the BBQ and powdered donuts off the grips...:D

Gus Dddysgrl
March 26, 2004, 01:59 PM
I shoot often enough they don't get dirty just sitting around, but I don't go so often that they are constantly being cleaned.

I don't obsessively clean anything, in fact I hate cleaning. I do know my gun looks really bad after shooting it so I keep it clean. I mean come on my gun has to make me look good or I won't carry it. ;) :D :neener: :evil:

Sydwaiz
March 26, 2004, 02:14 PM
There needs to be another choice up there. "When it malfunctions"

Actually, it depends on the gun and type of gun for me. My target or collector guns like my CG-63 or my Windrunner get cleaned after every trip though it may take a day or so. Mainly to get the copper fouling out so accuracy doesn't fall. My semi-autos or plinkers get cleaned when they don't cooperate.

MikeB
March 26, 2004, 02:26 PM
There really should have been an option for I have too many to clean once a month or so. If I tried to clean every one of my firearms once a month, I'd be finishing up about the time I had to start cleaning the first one again.

That being said. My carry get's cleaned every time I shoot it. All others get cleaned if more than 50 rounds are shot at a single session, or if they've been to several sessions at the range. Anything that has had corrosive ammo shot out of it get's cleaned immediately after getting home. And the rest get checked out cleaned every now and then some not for months. I have a few that haven't been fired, touched, cleaned for years; other than a quick check for surface rusting excetera.

Ala Dan
March 26, 2004, 05:05 PM
Clean 'em on a "as needed" basis. This can vary? If
I use 'em, I don't drive 'em hard, and put 'em dirty!
OTHO, if they just sit on the shelf and collect dust,
they get cleaned at least every 4 to 6 weeks.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

PATH
March 26, 2004, 05:11 PM
The .22lr 10/22's every now and again. All my other firearms get TLC on a regular basis!

Marshall
March 26, 2004, 05:19 PM
After I shoot, that very day. After I hunt, even if I don't shoot. Then once every three or four weeks for good measure.

gulogulo1970
March 26, 2004, 05:19 PM
I voted only when I shoot them. Except, some of my guns that I may not have shot in awhile, especially the blued ones, get cleaned about every 3 months or so.

If for whatever reason if I can't clean guns right after I shoot them I don't feel right until I do. I'm only like that about guns, I don't think I washed my car last year at all.

OF
March 26, 2004, 05:23 PM
I clean it when it gets so bad I can't touch the thing without it leaving black marks all over my hands and/or when I can notice the slide start to cycle more slowly due to the crap build up. <BLAM!> <keeer chuuunk> <BLAM!> <keeer chuuunk>

Two things I will do: clean off the front sight so I can see the dot again and brush out the mag bodies. Anytime the mags get dropped on the ground a bunch they get brushed out.

- Gabe

Pumpkinheaver
March 26, 2004, 05:28 PM
It depends, if it's one of my serious guns(home defense etc...) then I clean after every use. If it's just a plinker such as mr ruger 22/45 I only clean it when it starts to get feeding or ejection problems.

Fudgie Ghost
March 26, 2004, 05:32 PM
Every ten minutes.

QuarterBoreGunner
March 26, 2004, 05:54 PM
Every ten minutes.heh.

I'll clean mine after a shoot, but only if I know that they're going to be sitting in the safe awhile. If I’m going to be going shooting again in a relatively short period of time, why bother cleaning it?

Though I have been known to sit down and clean something that was sitting in the safe that was clean to begin with. What I mean is that sometimes, if it’s a gun I haven’t shot in along time, I’ll take it out and run a patch down the bore, make sure it’s oiled in all the right spots, maybe give it a quick wipe down with the RIG rag. Just to let them know that even if I haven’t shot them in awhile, I still love them.

Glockslinger
March 26, 2004, 06:13 PM
I generally clean after a shooting session. For my BUG, and my daily carry gun, I've been known to used canned air to blow out any dust and lint that might have gotten in there.

T.Stahl
March 26, 2004, 06:28 PM
How often? That depends on the gun.
SL8 - bore-snake after shooting, field stripping every couple a hundred rounds.
Glock - every ~1,000 rounds. Ejecting to the right means: everything ok. Ejecting to 6 o'clock: clean me soon. Ejecting to the LEFT: clean me - NOW!
Enfield - thorough cleaning of the barrel after each trip to the range and again during the following days.

uglymofo
March 26, 2004, 06:54 PM
I've cleaned my Ruger Mk II once since I bought it 2 years ago; that was the day I took delivery. It's got about 4000 rounds through it now, and is starting to object (jam) so it's due.

I'm pretty dutiful about the rest of my handguns and my rifles. I won't let a rifle get to 30 rounds without a cleaning, but I've taken some 45's out for steel plate on consecutive weeks and sometimes those won't get cleaned for ~ 7-800 rounds. But at least I'll break the slide from the frame and wipe the gunk out of them and lube'em up before that second session; I just won't strip the slide and frame. It's not quite a 'field strip'.

Gunslinger45
March 26, 2004, 07:30 PM
I usually clean them only after I shoot them. But since I do more dry firing than actual shooting I tend to go over them once every couple of months.

Chris Rhines
March 27, 2004, 07:08 AM
After shooting, I run a boresnake thru the barrel and give the exterior a wipedown with a Silicon cloth. I field-strip, clean, and relube every 500-1000 rounds or so, depending on the gun.

- Chris

hansolo
March 27, 2004, 03:01 PM
Everytime I take a shower.

GoRon
March 27, 2004, 08:34 PM
I run my bore snake with some FP-10 on it when I get home from the range. Also wipe it down to remove powder.

Around 500 I field strip it.

Around 1500 or so I detail strip it.

If you enjoyed reading about "How often do you clean your gun." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!