Texas knife laws

PDA

kBob
October 22, 2013, 04:56 PM
Wife is looking at a job in Texas so........

Any where to look for understandable explanations of Texas blade laws?

Any Texans want to comment?

Will I need to leave assisted opening knives outside Texas?

Want to know as factors in making family choices.

-kBob

If you enjoyed reading about "Texas knife laws" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Outlaw Man
October 22, 2013, 06:12 PM
I was told by a clerk when I was down there a few months ago that they had a new law going into effect that allowed auto-openers. I'd get verification on that, though.

hso
October 22, 2013, 08:44 PM
Will I need to leave assisted opening knives outside Texas?

No, but then there aren't many places that prohibit assisted openers.

Matter of fact, Knife Rights got the switchblade prohibition repealed.

They weren't able to get the blade length restriction removed, unfortunately, so anything 5.5" or longer is prohibited. They also weren't able to get preemption through either so San Antonio's absurd prohibition on locking blades still survives and they couldn't get the idiotic "dagger" prohibition removed so anything that looks like a dagger is considered a dagger so no double edged knives.

Here's the link to the law http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/PE/htm/PE.46.htm

"Illegal knife" means a:
(A) knife with a blade over five and one-half inches;
(B) hand instrument designed to cut or stab another by being thrown;
(C) dagger, including but not limited to a dirk, stiletto, and poniard;
(D) bowie knife;
(E) sword; or
(F) spear.

UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS. (a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun, illegal knife, or club if the person is not:
(1) on the person's own premises or premises under the person's control; or
(2) inside of or directly en route to a motor vehicle or watercraft that is owned by the person or under the person's control.

jdh
October 22, 2013, 08:54 PM
And Bowie Knife has never been defined either. A bowie knife is what ever "they" want it to be and can be anything over 5.5"

Outlaw Man
October 23, 2013, 10:28 AM
You would think "Bowie knife" would have a pretty clear definition in Texas, considering the history.

Thanks for the clarification, HSO. I probably go there once a year or so, though my typical carry knives are generally assisted openers no more than 4" long.

hso
October 23, 2013, 10:31 AM
Nope, no definition in the law so case law is all there is to go on and we know prosecutors will call a horse a camel if there's a law against camels.

Of course, there's no specific single profile that is a "Bowie Knife". In reality what most people think of as a bowie knife is the movie knife from Iron Mistress and not what was most probably used or carried.

FiremanJim
October 23, 2013, 11:27 AM
You have to be careful what you carry, but to be honest, I see people with knives clipped to their pant pocket or in a sheath on their belt all the time.
The postings before about the length of the blade are accurate, but on your own property you can wear whatever, and as far as bowie knives go, you can wear them if your out hunting on private land, but obviously a public park,...no.
I carry a CRKT M-21 knife at work and a couple of guys have Benchmade auto's that we use in the Fire Dept.
But Police and Fire are the exception for using those in public.

Outlaw Man
October 23, 2013, 11:29 AM
Yeah, wasn't his original design more like a modern Chef's knife than the one people think of with the curved back at the point (like a Marine Ka Bar)?

Oh yes, prosecutors will take any liberties they're given. I like the horse/camel analogy, though.

If you enjoyed reading about "Texas knife laws" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!