Taking a co worker to the range soon

PDA

MacTech
October 22, 2013, 11:33 PM
It's taken a while but I think I finally got one of the women at work to show some interest in going shooting

I've made the offer in the past, that any time she's interested, she has an open invite to my gun club, I've also offered to teach her to drive a manual transmission (yes, the two subjects are related), she's always thanked me for the offers but politely declined, I let her know that the offers are always open, whenever she feels ready, it's completely up to her

So this afternoon, as I was in the break room, she comes over and asks when I can teach her to drive a manual, she realized it was good knowledge to have, just in case....

We discussed the basics for a bit, and then the subject changed to guns, I don't remember how, it just organically shifted that way...

"So, MacTech, do you have a gun?"
Do I have <short pause> *A* gun?, no, I don't have *A* gun <pause, significant look with a devious grin>
**Chiana, are you asking if I have... A.... Gun?
<curious>"You mean you have more than one? How many do you have?"
A couple, mostly .22's, my hobby is target shooting and the .22 is my favorite...<pause> I have a membership at my local rod and gun club, it's a very safe environment, so anytime you want to go shooting, just let me know... The offer is always open, whenever you want to go....

After a few moments she gets a HUGE grin....
"Can we go... Now?!?"
Well, we are both working late, and they close after sunset, maybe this weekend, perhaps, just let me know when you're ready, when was the last time you went shooting?
"I never have"
Well, then we HAVE to go, it's loads of fun....

At this point her excitement was palpable, we then talked about guns, gun laws, and home protection scenarios, she initiated all conversations on this matter, apparently she doesn't feel comfortable in her apartment, and wants to be able to defend herself, I suggested adopting a dog as the first line of defense and as a companion animal as well, she was really eager to learn, and I dispelled a lot of her misconceptions about firearms, and the responsibility that goes with them, she's also starting to get a more survival oriented mindset....

Before we went back to work, I asked her;
Chiana, what are the gun laws like on Nebari Prime? (She's from Nebari Prime, obviously)
"You can have one in the house, but they're expensive, and you can't carry it outside the house, only police and military can carry guns in public, if you get caught carrying in public, you can be in big trouble"

I then explained the Gun laws in Maine and New Hampshire, and how firearm freindly we are...

Now she REALLY wants to go shooting....

Best thing is, I'm sure she'll end up chatting with the other Nebari women who work here about how fun it is, and I'm sure I'll be getting more requests to teach them how to shoot as well, and I know a few of them are going through the process to become American Citizens, and what better way to celebrate their American freedoms than learning to safely and responsibly use firearms and experience the joy of shooting, and the confidence in knowing they have the ability and the right to defend themselves as well

**name Farscaped to protect the innocent ;)

If you enjoyed reading about "Taking a co worker to the range soon" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
HoploDad
October 23, 2013, 12:16 AM
Most excellent!

tyeo098
October 23, 2013, 01:25 AM
Sounds like a date ;)

horsemen61
October 23, 2013, 01:26 AM
Awesome

Ignition Override
October 23, 2013, 01:54 AM
Don't forget that many single guys who go to Thailand tend to really Like the ladies there.

Maybe the ladies' willingness to learn and experiment even applies to shooting.

RetiredUSNChief
October 23, 2013, 04:09 AM
Great!

Methinks she may be showing more than a little spark of personal interest, too.

Don't know if you're spoken for, but if not...she just might end up being the future Mrs. MacTech!

;)

Cryogaijin
October 23, 2013, 06:17 AM
I'm well known at work as "The Gun Guy". I'm also known as the guy to talk to if you want to go to the range. So far I've had 4 coworkers take me up on it. (Not bad for having about 30 coworkers total. Three have since bought their own firearms.

Outlaw Man
October 23, 2013, 10:17 AM
I think it's really fun to introduce non-native Americans to shooting. They tend to have a completely different attitude about it than those who have lived here their entire life.

Enjoy.

MacTech
October 23, 2013, 09:39 PM
Last night, one of our discussions was what she would do if someone broke into her apartment with malicious intent....

"I'd call the cops"
And how long does it generally take them to get to your area when called?
"About 5 minutes, that's not too bad"
Chiana, think about it, a bad guy is in your apartment, right now, intent on hurting you, and the closest help is five minutes away, right?
"....yes..." (I can see the gears start turning in her head, she never thought this one through, in her mind, calling the cops and waiting was a valid solution)

Chiana, may I do a little thought experiment with you?
"Sure, what is it?"
I'm going to start my timer and just stare at you I will stop the timer when you tell me you're feeling uncomfortable, is that okay with you, I don't want to scare you or anything....
"That's fine, let's start"
Okay, starting .... Now....
<time passes>
"Stop the timer, I'm getting uncomfortable"
Okay, now, Chiana, how long do you think that was?
"A couple minutes"
Nope (I show her the timer) about 45 seconds.....
Now, imagine the situation is a bad guy trying to hurt you, you felt uncomfortable in 45 seconds, yet the closest help is over four minutes away still, a *lot* can happen in those four minutes....

This really got her thinking, so we discussed strategies and defenses she could implement now, before she gets her gun, and yes, she has decided she definitely wants a gun, and not just for protection, I'm sure she wants to get into the shooting sports as well....

WNTFW
October 24, 2013, 01:18 AM
Speaking of driving a manual transmission.
"just organically shifted" That is how many people describe my use of a manual gearbox. I also get "impeccable footwork" a lot too. "Your rev matching is seamless" is about a tie with silent awe.
But I digress.

One thing I did in a class was draw and shoot a target my nose was touching. That was probably the best thing about the whole day. It really was the point it made. If you can't shoot the paper target that way how are you going to shoot someone who outweighs you by 50lb and is attacking in the same way. Another thing that day was surviving the initial attack.

I am not that big on the dog thing. I have been around trained dogs and have seen some untrained dogs that were awesome too. I think having the self confidence is better than having confidence in a dog. Self defense subjects would be better overall. What if the dog is at home? Those self defense skills are still with her. I would focus on defensive shooting. Weapon retention being part of it. Draw stoke too. Of course these may not be a starting point but something to incorporate at the appropriate time.

Also think about what you put out on the net about her. There are some things I would never post on the net about guys, much less ladies. You are obviously enjoying her company and she sounds like she is great. Just be careful in what you post.

The stare thing sounds effective. Real violence is a shocking thing. I have a sister that saved herself from at least an abduction because of firearm knowledge. So being able to shoot is part of it, knowing that a gun is inoperable was what made the difference in her case.

Can she jump a car battery, change a tire or call in to 911? Those come in handy. For people that have never called 911 they aren't always good at giving a location or description. Not looking helpless or like a victim is a good thing. Keeping moving can be a deterrent.

Whatever you relationship is with her I think it is great you are helping her get started.

Cryogaijin
October 24, 2013, 05:23 AM
A 5 minute response time is all well and good, however that response time increases the second you mention that the intruders are armed.

While working a hotel in Fairbanks I called in a gunfight nearby one night. The police didn't go into the area until they were certain they had overwhelming supperiority. So what was normally a 3 minute response time was closer to 25.

Shanghai McCoy
October 24, 2013, 06:58 AM
"When seconds count, the police are only minutes away..."

I know, kind of a cheesy quote but she might get the point. Hope she has a good time and remember to keep it fun. Safe but fun...
We took some foreign interns shooting when we lived down in Tulsa. The Russian woman was the best the best shot of the bunch

Al Thompson
October 24, 2013, 07:50 AM
I've got a basic handgun training outline written up. PM me if you'd like a copy. :)

MacTech
November 4, 2013, 08:27 PM
There's a very good possibility that Chiana may want to hit the range this weekend, she stopped by my desk tonight and wondered when the range closed, and if we had time tonight or tomorrow....

The range closes at sunset, and we both work past sunset, so weekdays are out, but I let her know that Saturdays and Sundays are available

We spoke last week about shooting in general, and aside from video games and a BB gun, she's never fired an actual firearm

I am definitely starting her off on the .22LR, probably bring my CZ Scout with the single shot adapter and a couple 5 rounders, either the CZ Ultralux or FS, the Marlin 39a, and the Single Six I inherited from Dad

We'll go at a pace she's comfortable with, not going to rush her or push her into bigger calibers, when she's ready, she'll let me know...

She's about to take her first steps into the wonderful world of firearms, and I want it to be as fun and memorable as possible, so she gets hooked and goes more often....

Al Thompson
November 4, 2013, 08:53 PM
I want it to be as fun and memorable as possible

Very wise. Sometimes (too often IMHO), we overlook the recreational aspect to our sports detriment. If it ain't fun, I'm probably not going to do it.. :)

hso
November 4, 2013, 09:51 PM
Good!

Keep in mind that the overall impression of an experience is highly influenced by the sequence of events and the end of the event. If you have a succession of firearms don't build to the biggest baddest thing you've brought without saving a little time to go back and finish up with something that now seems not as daunting or impressive that the new shooter can see a real comfortable use. That creates a memory of excitement and satisfaction with a sense of accomplishment that is more valuable than just working up to the big badda boom.

red04montels
November 4, 2013, 10:31 PM
Awesome! Now, how to get my parents so fond of guns :D

MacTech
November 6, 2013, 08:42 PM
Stopped off at my toy store tonight, found that they had a used New Haven vintage Marlin 60 with the original long barrel and full capacity tubular mag, I'd estimate condition at around 90% new, wood is in good shape, minor cosmetic scuffing on receiver, a couple minor scratches in the bluing that'll cold blue right out, trigger is crisp with a tiny amount of creep....

Asking price? $95

I put it on 7 day hold, so it won't get sold out from under me, my reasoning being, if Chiana ends up getting hooked on shooting, like I know she will, she'll have an inexpensive gun ready and waiting for her to purchase, assuming she likes it

She would be the purchaser, all the 7 day hold does I'd set it aside so someone doesn't buy it in the next 7 days, it's only a hold, not a purchase

Yes, I'd prefer to start her off owning a bolt action, but you really can't say no to a Marlin 60 in that good condition for that price....

I took a pic and a vid of it to show her tomorrow, if interested

RetiredUSNChief
November 7, 2013, 12:43 AM
Stopped off at my toy store tonight, found that they had a used New Haven vintage Marlin 60 with the original long barrel and full capacity tubular mag, I'd estimate condition at around 90% new, wood is in good shape, minor cosmetic scuffing on receiver, a couple minor scratches in the bluing that'll cold blue right out, trigger is crisp with a tiny amount of creep....

Asking price? $95

I put it on 7 day hold, so it won't get sold out from under me, my reasoning being, if Chiana ends up getting hooked on shooting, like I know she will, she'll have an inexpensive gun ready and waiting for her to purchase, assuming she likes it

She would be the purchaser, all the 7 day hold does I'd set it aside so someone doesn't buy it in the next 7 days, it's only a hold, not a purchase

Yes, I'd prefer to start her off owning a bolt action, but you really can't say no to a Marlin 60 in that good condition for that price....

I took a pic and a vid of it to show her tomorrow, if interested

Aaaaand...

If she doesn't want to buy it, then $95 makes for an inexpensive addition to the personal collection. And if it's not really needed, then it's available for sale or gift to a possible future newbie!

A darned decent rifle.

;)~

MacTech
November 9, 2013, 04:19 PM
Had a great time at the range, Chiana started off with the CZ Scout at the 50 yard berm, mainly because the rifle range was unoccupied, and the pistol range had a couple shooters on it

She took to the basics naturally and instinctively, had a nearly perfect freehand stance, however, the challenge of 50 yard irons for a new shooter was a bit much, so once the pistol range quieted down, we went over there

We set up at 7 yards with my Single Six, I showed her the basics, and shot the first six rounds so she knew what to expect....

Once Chiana took her turn, she was hooked, after that first cylinder, she had a huge grin, her grouping was about 2" , not bad for her very first cylinder....

She wanted to shoot more, happily plinking away, groups tightening with every cylinder, as I gave her little pointers on grip and body positioning, near the end of the session, she was shooting 3/4 to 1" groups, occasionally punching one holers as well, I could not believe how good she was with the Single Six, it was like she was born with one in her hand, I could not believe she's never shot a real firearm before

And even more amazing, the very first time she picked up the Six, her trigger finger automatically indexed itself on the side of the frame

By the end of the session, she was shooting smooth and quick, like this (http://youtu.be/rZgNhXbT6Vo) loving every minute! she even tried the .22 Magnums, but her real favorite was the LR cylinder

We then stopped off at the local gun store, where she tried a bunch of different guns, she narrowed it down to three contenders....

Ruger Single Six (obviously)

Browning Challenger II, she mainly liked the palm-filling grips on this one

Ruger Mark II 4" bull barrel, I stopped in last night, found this one, and put it on 7 day hold for this very purpose, for her to look at, as the Mark II is the best of the Mark series

Of the three, she liked the Browning and Mark II best, especially since I told her she could get nice wood grips for the Mark II, she was seriously considering purchasing the Ruger today, but I told her I have it on hold for 7 days so she has time to think about it...

I think she may be calling me tomorrow to meet at The shop so she can pick up her new-to-her gun....

Overall, a very successful trip, her eyes have been opened and she's now part of a bigger world....

If you enjoyed reading about "Taking a co worker to the range soon" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!