Lets walk through this one more time please

PDA

horsemen61
October 23, 2013, 12:05 AM
Ok folks here is where I stand the lower is engraved by next month I should have the scratch saved up to pay for the stamp. Soooooo here is my question to send in my form 4 I think that's the right one what do I need to do step by step please I am very new at this and I just want a cool little sbr

thanks sincerely
chance

If you enjoyed reading about "Lets walk through this one more time please" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Arizona_Mike
October 23, 2013, 01:36 AM
Individual, Trust, or corp?
I would wait on the engraving until your forms are approved (or go second pending). Thr ATF has been onjecting to some trust names and common engraving abbreviations in recent years. No rush on the engraving.

Mike

Arizona_Mike
October 23, 2013, 01:39 AM
Also what kind of firearm? SRS or SBS? Is this a form 1 (make yourself)? I assume it is since you mentioned engraving.

I can describt the trust process in detail (done it 8 times already) but if you want to do a corp or individual I will leave the details to someone else.

Mike

horsemen61
October 24, 2013, 10:46 AM
It's an sbr mike it is not a trust I am just doing this by myself not a build mind you I bought a stripped lower and I had it engraved with my name city and state so no what

GarySTL
October 24, 2013, 11:11 AM
If it wasn't an sbr when you bought it, you're building it and need a Form 1, not a Form 4.

horsemen61
October 24, 2013, 11:55 AM
Ok thanks Gary like I said I am new to all of this

MasterSergeantA
October 24, 2013, 12:46 PM
A lot of people get their NFA items engraved before they send in the Form 1, primarily because IF the engraver screws up and misspells your name (AndersEn instead of AndersOn, as an example) you can correct it on the Form without having to do more engraving. Most often happens with trusts, etc. I believe, but it is always a consideration.

You need to send in two copies of the Form 1; it has to be printed front and back on the same page...a two page copy will be rejected. You also need the photo on each of the Forms, two copies of your fingerprint card (and you have to use the ATF overprint version...most local PDs don't have those), and one copy of the 5330.20 with your check for $200. The current waiting time for approval is projected at ~12-15 months, but that may get better.

http://www.atf.gov/forms/firearms/index.html

medalguy
October 24, 2013, 10:40 PM
Really, I don't see it getting any better any time soon. :fire:

tepin
October 26, 2013, 09:34 AM
+1 MasterSergeantA - Do the engraving first.

Arizona_Mike
October 26, 2013, 01:32 PM
Makes no sense to me. You must use your real name or the real name of the trust.

Mike

Charger442
October 29, 2013, 01:00 PM
Makes no sense to me. You must use your real name or the real name of the trust.

Mike
makes no sense to me either. wait until your stuff is approved before engraving. just because you have a tax stamp approved lower, it doesn't make it an SBR until you place it in that configuration.

so... if you are worried because you wont be in "compliance" with ATF regs because you have a tax stamp with an non-engraved lower, just don't place the lower receiver in SBR configuration until its engraved.

MasterSergeantA
October 29, 2013, 02:01 PM

Mike
Exactly right! But...if you get your stamped Form back AFTER a 12 month wait with "Fred Jones Trust" on it and the engraver mistakenly engraves "Fred James Trust" on the lower, you get to start the whole process over again. If the engraver screws it up BEFORE you send in the Form, you can get another lower with a different serial number, get it engraved correctly and get the Form right before you waste the time. (You will probably find a different engraver, logically.)

Aaron Baker
October 29, 2013, 07:29 PM
Well, sure, MasterSergeantA, but to be fair, that's mostly a cosmetic problem. It's completely possible to have the engraver etch out the engraved area and try again in the same area or a different area of the receiver. Only if you're really, really wanting a "pretty" SBR are you going to go buy a different lower receiver and try again.

I'm sure this is a problem that's happened, but I think overall, it probably doesn't matter when you get it engraved.

Aaron

Arizona_Mike
October 29, 2013, 08:36 PM
I understand your point now. I think it is pretty low risk.

In my case I've heard horror stories about the ATF being silly about abbreviations. I made sure my trust was "a revokable living trust known as the Redacted RLT" so the legal name was the abbreviated form. I wanted to wait to make sure that flew.

Mike

Arizona_Mike
October 29, 2013, 08:39 PM
Charger, the ATF does not dictate in what order you must build the firearm and usually defers to the builder on when it is "done". I doujbt there is any legal peril for an approved stamp and an incomplete weapon.

Mike

horsemen61
October 29, 2013, 08:59 PM
Thanks for all the replies another question what Leo do I ask to sign off on it?

If you enjoyed reading about "Lets walk through this one more time please" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!