Need help with pricing on unusual rifle

PDA

conflicted
October 23, 2013, 07:45 PM
I hate to be vague here, but I need a little help with a gun I personally don't know anything about.

My dad just called and said he was thinking about buying a Belgium made Browning .280. He wanted me to see if I could find out how much it is worth. He doesn't know how old it is or the model # at this point. But if he needs to, I'm sure he can. He really didn't think it would be a problem to look up. But.........

I really can't find much of anything about it.

Can anyone help a new member?

Thanks in advance.

If you enjoyed reading about "Need help with pricing on unusual rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
burrhead
October 23, 2013, 08:33 PM
What your asking is akin to saying how much in a Chevy 396 worth. The .280 Remington is a cartridge. Apparently your dad is thinking of buying a Browning rifle chambered in it. It's impossible to answer without knowing what model of rifle and it's condition. Find out more and come back and ask again.

Here's some info on the cartridge.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.280_Remington

Abel
October 23, 2013, 10:03 PM
Browning prolly made three different models in 280, in Belgium.

conflicted
October 24, 2013, 05:25 PM
Yeah, I kind of figured there wasn't a ton of different models made since they were kind of hard to come by on the internet. I'm sure its an average condition gun or he wouldn't be looking at it.

I asked him to find out a little more about it, so maybe I can post the model on here for some more help.

CB900F
October 24, 2013, 07:12 PM
Conflicted;

Well, it won't be an A-bolt or an X-bolt, those are made in Japan. Therefore, it'll most likely be an FN Mauser action, though there is a slight possibility of a a Sako, but I strongly doubt it. Condition of the blue and the stock will have a great deal to do with the price as well. But let's say it's a decent gun in 90% condition with no obvious warts showing.

Given a huge ballfield, I'd think $500 - 600.00 would be in the park.

900F

rcmodel
October 24, 2013, 07:27 PM
But it could also be a Belgian made .280 Rem BAR??

More info on model & action type needed to even guess.

rc

CB900F
October 24, 2013, 08:31 PM
RC;

Just checked Fjestad's & they don't show a BAR in .280. But then I got curious & checked the FN bolt section & they don't either. I suppose it's not impossible to change caliber through a rebarrel in the semi-auto BAR, but it's hardly likely.

If it is a rebarrel on an FN Mauser, then a fair amount of money could vary according to whose barrel it is. Adams & Bennet, let's deduct some dollars. Lilja, let's add some.

The already large ballpark just got bigger & may now have it's own zip code.

900F

rcmodel
October 24, 2013, 08:53 PM
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Browning-BAR-Gd-Rem/1370920.uts

http://www.gunauction.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=8950363

rc

If you enjoyed reading about "Need help with pricing on unusual rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!