Small game knife

PDA

dak0ta
October 24, 2013, 04:25 PM
Looking at the Buck 102 and the Grohmann #2. Leaning towards the Grohmann, any experiences with these?

If you enjoyed reading about "Small game knife" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Coyote3855
October 26, 2013, 05:58 PM
I have the Buck 102 and it's a very good knife. That said, I've always wanted a Grohmann of one sort or another. Sorry, no help here.

huntsman
October 26, 2013, 08:42 PM
My small knife is a Russell woodswalker

http://www.agrussell.com/product.asp?pn=AGPRS

My Grohmann is a #1 and a great knife for deer, I once used my woodswalker to gut and skin a small doe and it worked great. Buck fixed blade knives always seemed bulky for skinning but great for a camp knife.

Deltaboy
October 27, 2013, 03:21 PM
My small game knife is an Old Timer OT 8 or a my OT baby Sharp finger.

Esoxchaser
October 27, 2013, 04:02 PM
I use scissors on small game and birds.
http://www.amazon.com/Kershaw-1120X-Taskmaster-Shears/dp/B0002IMMEW/ref=pd_sim_sbs_sg_1

MutinousDoug
October 27, 2013, 11:16 PM
I carry the Grohmman/Herter's Canadian knife camping and hunting but use the Gerber Pixie for almost all my small game gutting and peeling chores. It should make a good caper too.

I have two Russell Woodswalkers that get yeoman use in the kitchen and I wouldn't hesitate to carry it for a bird/trout knife. One is a broken Woodswalker that I re profiled and use to eye potatos and clean strawberries. I don't recommend prying at frozen food with a new one:cool:.

If you can't find a Pixie or a Russell Woodswalker, a PAL 24 knife is a great old school small game knife.

PJSprog
October 29, 2013, 03:22 PM
I, too, have been an Old Timer user for many years. Scissors work great, too.

Sorry, no experience with that particular Buck, nor the Grohmann.

If you enjoyed reading about "Small game knife" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!