Dunno if this belongs here

PDA

Guy B. Meredith
March 25, 2004, 11:53 PM
I have just gone through a lot of labor to plant a lawn without benefit of mechanized help. Can't afford it.

Problem is that the birds that I otherwise find interesting are eating my lawn before it has a chance to come up.

Soooo. What I am looking for is some sort of airgun/soft pellet combination that would allow me to pop the little buggers without hurting them. Handgun would be nice, but needs good 15 yard range. Something approximating a S&W M66 would be even more desirable.

Does this exist?

If you enjoyed reading about "Dunno if this belongs here" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Kodiak AK
March 25, 2004, 11:59 PM
An airsoft maybe . Any Pelet or BB gun will kill a bird with out aproblem . I used to hunt dove with a dasiy when I was a kid .

pax
March 26, 2004, 12:00 AM
Guy,

What you do is, you go down to the feed store or garden center and buy yourself some metallic ribbon-tape. Hammer some two foot high stakes along each edge of your new lawn, each stake roughly two to three feet from the next, making a row of stakes along each edge.

Run a string across the lawn from each stake to a stake at the other end of the lawn, tying a bit of that metallic ribbon on the string at foot-long intervals. Pull the string tight and watch the bits of ribbon flash and twirl in the sunlight.

Birdies gone, no angry neighbors, no bodies to dispose of.

Not as much fun as a gun, but what the hey. It'll work.

pax

I have a rock garden. Last week three of them died. -- Richard Diran

Guy B. Meredith
March 26, 2004, 12:09 AM
I don't want to hurt the birds. Would only want to shoot soft shot of some sort. I once had a hunting bow, put wine corks on tips of field arrows, wrapped that up until they resembled a boxing glove and used them to chase cats. Don't have the bow and the arrows would probably plow up the ground anyway.

I tried metallic stuff on the apple tree, but that wasn't a professional grade product. Maybe I'll try that a commercial version. Pity-can't get shooting practice in that way.

sm
March 26, 2004, 12:12 AM
While pax is correct ( as usual)...

When I built a house and the new yard [ read: sod front and seeded back] yeah we did the metal tape...but only part of it...imitation snakes work well. Ever see a bird do a 180 in mid flight? :D

Really Big Tip: Do catch the wifey when she pulls in from work after dark and BEFORE she walks the yard...I was promptly informed * ahem* "my parents were not married when I was born"...actually the whole neighborhood was informed...:D

4v50 Gary
March 26, 2004, 12:12 AM
Guy B. Meredith - you are a nice man. I'd use the Ghengis Khan or Attila the HUn approach to birds - especially if they're pigeons.

hso
March 26, 2004, 12:41 AM
Sprinklers with motion sensors?

For fun I like the airsoft idea, but you're talking about dropping $300 for an AR AEG to scare them off when you're around.

Guy B. Meredith
March 26, 2004, 09:06 AM
Pigeons are not birds in my book. Seagulls are just salt water pigeons.

Really dig doves, though.

$300 for an airgun? Maybe used...

Fake snakes and owls... Hmmm... Maybe a recording of the SSA match? I thought those guys used powder puff loads, but they sure are noisy. Maybe the New Age stuff my wife plays? At full volume it ought to either put them to sleep or have them grinding their beaks in irritation.

Red_SC
March 26, 2004, 09:28 AM
Rice!

:what:

XLMiguel
March 26, 2004, 09:52 AM
Pigeons = skyrats, seagulls are just big skyrats.

Fake snakes, fake owls are good, move 'em around some to keep 'em guessing. You can use the tape from old cassettes instead of the metalic tape. Also, you can stagger the seedings, as more grass comes up, it will hide some of the new seeds. The birds will get some, one way or the other:rolleyes:

If you enjoyed reading about "Dunno if this belongs here" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!