anyone seen hair-thin ring of trimmed brass at the bullet neck just after seating?

PDA

shekarchi
October 25, 2013, 01:20 PM
I have only been re-loading a couple of months...
I have noticed on at least 2 occasions that right after I seat a bullet in the case when inspect the cartridge [on some cases] there is a hair-thin piece of loose brass -that judging by how it looks- looks like it is coming off the edge of the neck. Is it because I am over-chamfering and/or over-deburring? I also notice the phenomenon when seating takes a bit more effort than usual...

If you enjoyed reading about "anyone seen hair-thin ring of trimmed brass at the bullet neck just after seating?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
October 25, 2013, 02:05 PM
Normally it's a sign of no chamfering at all.

Sure you didn't miss doing a few??

rc

918v
October 25, 2013, 02:11 PM
If the case walls are too thick and the seater die is too tight, or is set to crimp prematurely, jacket material will be shaved off the bullet, chambered or not.

Rule3
October 25, 2013, 02:48 PM
I always helps to know more information such as what caliber, lead or FMJ bullets, press and dies.

If it is handgun or rifle?

Handgun could be not enough flare and you are shaving the bullet, but without more info, just guessing??

moxie
October 26, 2013, 09:40 AM
Could be lack of de-burring and/or over crimping.

Make sure the brass is de-burred as well as chamfered. Start over and re-set your seater/crimper die per instructions.

Joe's
October 26, 2013, 10:41 AM
shekarci,
I'm guessing your talking about rifle brass, ("over-chamfering and/or over-deburring").
If it's only happening on a few of them check your case and make sure it's not over length. If it is, trim your brass. If not, back your seater die out about 1/4 turn and try again. If it gets better then continue to back the seater out 1/4 turn until finally no "hairs" are left. You'll end up with less crimp on some cases, however it will be sufficient. They will never have the same amount of crimp unless you trim to the same length.
Hope this helps!

Be Well,
Joe's

gamestalker
October 26, 2013, 05:20 PM
Yep, I've had it happen a few times when loading wheel gun cartridges. And since I meticulously trim, ream, and chamfer all my brass, I was able to identify, and eliminate the problem, which was caused by over crimping. No biggie, just back off the crimp a tad and it will go away.

GS

au_prospector
October 26, 2013, 06:22 PM
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=707429

Yes, like this. See pictures in post #5. I did not trim, chamfer or debur my brass. Happened on .357 loadings crimping to the cannelure. Simply wiped the brass hairs away with a cloth. They shot fine.

Hanshi
October 26, 2013, 06:57 PM
I have on a few occasions but they shot right along with the good stuff.

CarJunkieLS1
October 26, 2013, 07:50 PM
I've always deburred and chamfered my cases after I shoot them. I also take a bristle brush that has case lube on it and lube the mouths of the cases before seating. It seems to help stop those "slivers" from happening and makes bullet seating a little easier.

Mohave-Tec
October 26, 2013, 08:04 PM
Factory crimp die

Walkalong
October 27, 2013, 09:11 PM
This problem can be solved while still using any crimp die out there.

Hondo 60
October 27, 2013, 09:23 PM
Yes, I've seen those.

It's either brand new brass, or brand new dies.

At least for me, that's the only time I've seen that.

fguffey
October 27, 2013, 10:03 PM
Shear, when the case bell is removed by the seating die the bell can be larger than the dies ability to close it. Then there is a chance the case is not centered in the shell holder, in any case the die shears off part of the bell.

F. Guffey

Havok7416
October 28, 2013, 03:41 AM
I've seen this happen before with 9x19 and my solution was to back off the seating die a hair. No problems anymore.

shekarchi
October 28, 2013, 12:46 PM
thanks everyone for your comments and helpful information...
I am using Hornady New Dimension dies in .300wsm and .270win
I chamfer and de-burr every case before loading.
I don't think I have set the die for a crimp at all but if it helps it happens when seating takes a little more effort than usual...

fguffey
October 28, 2013, 01:58 PM
Rifle? Not pistol? The new dimension die has a guide, I believe I would be hard pressed to find a Hornady New Dimension die that crimped.

That leaves 'roll over' brass at the neck of the case during case preparation.

F. Guffey

shekarchi
October 31, 2013, 05:45 PM
Rifle? Not pistol? The new dimension die has a guide, I believe I would be hard pressed to find a Hornady New Dimension die that crimped.

That leaves 'roll over' brass at the neck of the case during case preparation.

F. Guffey
anything I should be concerned about?
and if so- what to do to avoid it?
thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "anyone seen hair-thin ring of trimmed brass at the bullet neck just after seating?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!